/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Religious Studies

Dylan
11-17-2008, 05:00 PM
I am looking for a copy of the Qu'ran/Quran/Koran(which is correct or are all of them? I've seen it written as all three) to study. I desire a hard copy and I would prefer it to have both the the arabic and english versions though the Arabic version is not a must. I have looked at many different translations and have yet to find one that seems right...I have found some by Abdullah Yusuf Ali which to seem to be fine although the reviews are so mixed some saying it is really good and others saying it isn't that I am a little skeptical. Then I realized that it would likely be best to ask someone who actually reads it day to day and so my journey has led me here to ask you your opinion on the matter.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AntiKarateKid
11-17-2008, 06:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dylan
I am looking for a copy of the Qu'ran/Quran/Koran(which is correct or are all of them? I've seen it written as all three) to study. I desire a hard copy and I would prefer it to have both the the arabic and english versions though the Arabic version is not a must. I have looked at many different translations and have yet to find one that seems right...I have found some by Abdullah Yusuf Ali which to seem to be fine although the reviews are so mixed some saying it is really good and others saying it isn't that I am a little skeptical. Then I realized that it would likely be best to ask someone who actually reads it day to day and so my journey has led me here to ask you your opinion on the matter.

Hi Dylan!

I'm not sure about which translation, but they all say the same thing. Keep in mind, this is not like the bible where there are different versions. THe only difference is a change in translation of the same word in the english versions.

If you would really like to get a feel of the Quran, I STRONGLY STRONGLY recommend you to listen to a recitation of the particular verse you are interested it. It is unlike ANYTHING you have ever heard.

Look for recitations of such surahs on youtube and find ones that sound good to you with their translations preferrably in the video.

Trust me, this is the way to go.Good luck in your endeavor!

11-17-2008, 06:19 PM
I think Pickthal's translation is quite good

Periwinkle18
11-17-2008, 06:33 PM
I hav the Quran by darussalam n Dr muhammad Muhsin Khan has translated it n its really good.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
- Qatada -
11-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Stick to Yusuf Ali, its alright. :) Muhsin Khan is good because it provides more understanding in brackets etc.

here's some good links as examples, which you might prefer on the net [since the arabic is played along with it]:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8DR8frP_s [yusuf ali translation]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D0id8hviqg [i think this is muhsin khans translation]

youtube is good since it has many in arabic audio and english translation [the qur'an really only being true in arabic form].

full muhsin khan;
http://www.ummah.net/what-is-islam/quran/neindex.htm
http://www.sabbir.com/DownloadHalal.html

Dylan
11-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll give what all of you have said some thought. Thanks a lot!

Argamemnon
11-21-2008, 05:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -
Muhsin Khan is good because it provides more understanding in brackets etc.
That's wrong! The words in brackets are merely the opinion of the translator! We should be wary of this...

Argamemnon
11-21-2008, 05:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dylan
Thanks for the replies. I'll give what all of you have said some thought. Thanks a lot!
Hi, you can download here, look at the English versions in the list: http://community.quran-online.net/page/Resources.aspx

Dylan
11-21-2008, 12:58 PM
I have decided to use the Abdullah Yusuf Ali.Thanks for the link, I'll take a look at it although I will eventually be purchasing a copy.

kwolney01
11-21-2008, 07:20 PM
When I first started learning about Islam I received a copy of the translation of the Quran by Muhammad Malik. I really like this Quran and I still read it to this day, they come in only English and also English along with Arabic. On the sides of each page they break it down and summarize what the verses are saying for easy understanding. They also give background information on each Surah (chapter) so you understand what was happening at that time. I would recommend this to everybody!!

http://www.iqra.org/index/itemdesc.a...797463&eq=&Tp=

I hope this helps and I wish you the best!! :D

Dylan
11-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Ah, well I took a look at Muhammad Maliks translation and my mind hasn't changed. Sticking with Yusuf Ali. But thanks anyway Kwolney01 and thanks to everyone else too. You've all been a big help.

Argamemnon
11-21-2008, 09:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by kwolney01
When I first started learning about Islam I received a copy of the translation of the Quran by Muhammad Malik. I really like this Quran and I still read it to this day, they come in only English and also English along with Arabic. On the sides of each page they break it down and summarize what the verses are saying for easy understanding. They also give background information on each Surah (chapter) so you understand what was happening at that time. I would recommend this to everybody!!

http://www.iqra.org/index/itemdesc.a...797463&eq=&Tp=

I hope this helps and I wish you the best!! :D
:w:

Dear sis, you should keep in mind that those summaries or background information are merely opinions. They may help you understand certain things better, but they should never be accepted as the ultimate truth.

Ummu Sufyaan
12-07-2008, 10:00 AM
:sl:
format_quote Originally Posted by Argamemnon
That's wrong! The words in brackets are merely the opinion of the translator! We should be wary of this...
i disagree with that...i mean i do agree that the words in brackets are his words, but as far as ive noticed, the extra brackets/words are put there as to aid in translation as it expands on the Arabic words that aren't so easy to translate in one English word...
seriously, read the translation without reading whats in the brackets...it wont make sense...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.