/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Worldview

Muezzin
11-19-2008, 12:30 AM
So, after absorbing many comparative religion debates (specifically those whose central question is some variation of whether or not religion is necessary in modern society and/or whether God exists), I've detected a subtext from certain debaters (who shall not be named since I'm exaggerating their characteristics) regarding their worldviews.

You've got your pro-religious debaters arguing that God's existence is an empirical, indisputable fact, and that religion is a Very Good Thing required to keep order in society, past, present or future.

Subtext - Man is inherently evil or dangerous, and must be kept under control with rules lest he and his savage brethren destroy the world with their chaotic disposition.

Then you've got your anti-religious debaters arguing that God is either a fabricated comfort figure or a pretense for madmen, and that religion itself is simply a societal control mechanism and, by definition, a Very Bad Thing.

Subtext - Man is inherently good, and must be freed from the shackles of rules lest it chafe his manly goodness and destroy his delicate flower heart.

Any truth in this? Or am I just jumping at shadows?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Grace Seeker
11-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Out of shadows from the past century... in 1926, Minnesota Gov. Theodore Christianson established a state crime commission. At the end of its research, the commission concluded that criminal tendencies were not the result of poverty, education or environment. Instead, it made the following observation:
Every baby starts life as a little savage. He is completely selfish and self-centered, he wants what he wants when he wants it: his bottle, his mother's attention, his playmate's toys, his uncle's watch, or whatever. Deny him these and he seethes with rage and aggressiveness which would be murderous were he not so helpless. He's dirty, he has no morals, no knowledge, no developed skills. This means that all children, not just certain children but all children, are born delinquent. If permitted to continue in their self-centered world of infancy, given free rein to their impulsive actions to satisfy each want, every child would grow up a criminal, a thief, a killer, a rapist.

Trumble
11-19-2008, 11:21 AM
There is certainly some truth in it! Although you are certainly exaggerating as you acknowledge.

It's very interesting that according to those positions it is the theists who believe man is 'inherently evil or dangerous' while the atheists think him 'inherently' good! There's obviously something wrong somewhere, and I think that is simply because the first position is intellectually incoherent. God, as theists perceive him, simply cannot be reconciled to that view of humanity. Most perceive humanity as inherently good, I think, whatever their religious views, or lack of them

Personally, of course, I would argue that neither offer solutions as they both totally miss the real problem. But that's a topic for another thread.

Keltoi
11-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Those worldviews are very similar to the change in political theory. Thomas Hobbes, an important political philosopher, believed that man was naturally chaotic. He called it the "state of nature". He proposed that mankind needed a powerful monarch to keep them in line and direct their energies to productive pursuits.

Then you have John Locke, who proposed that man was naturally good, and that tyranny and monarchs were responsible for destroying personal freedom and liberty.

As is usually the case, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I think it is obvious that mankind needs law and order to fend off anarchy and chaos. The issue is whether religious law and order is more effective than secular law. As an American, I believe secular law to be more acceptable than religious law, as long as my right to worship as I see fit is maintained. I believe both worldviews can live and function together as long one or the other isn't intending to limit the rights of the other.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
11-19-2008, 01:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
Out of shadows from the past century... in 1926, Minnesota Gov. Theodore Christianson established a state crime commission. At the end of its research, the commission concluded that criminal tendencies were not the result of poverty, education or environment. Instead, it made the following observation:
I see his point, although I wouldn't call a newborn's selfish tendencies potentially criminal - to me, criminal behaviour denotes immorality (behaviour contrary to accepted morals), or immorality that has transformed into amorality (absence of morals).

My definitions of immorality and amorality may be a little out of whack, so I recommend a dictionary definition, but what I'm saying is that babies are amoral - they simply don't know any better yet, and are thus not culpable for their actions. I would hold culpable a man who:

a) Knows what he's doing is wrong and does it anyway

or

b) Behaves in a way he himself does not regard as wrong because he himself lacks a sense of right and wrong

Amoral kiddies get off the hook because they haven't yet had their lessons about right and wrong. But an amoral adult? He's just not been paying attention, and the whole principle of 'ignorance of the law is no excuse' comes into play.

format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
There is certainly some truth in it! Although you are certainly exaggerating as you acknowledge.

It's very interesting that according to those positions it is the theists who believe man is 'inherently evil or dangerous' while the atheists think him 'inherently' good!
That may have more to do with my writing it at 1 in the morning. Still, there is something along those lines...

Stereotypical Pro-Religious Person - The world will descend into chaos without any boundaries because though man has the capacity for good, good is a quality which must be learned. Without it, he will go astray and destroy.

Stereotypical Anti-Religious Person - Boundaries drive men mad. Boundaries are unjust. Man will act justly without boundaries or control. Controlling human behaviour is inherently wrong.

There's obviously something wrong somewhere, and I think that is simply because the first position is intellectually incoherent. God, as theists perceive him, simply cannot be reconciled to that view of humanity. Most perceive humanity as inherently good, I think, whatever their religious views, or lack of them
I personally think it's missing the point to group humanity into Good and Evil. Just based on what I see and what I know in my gut, I think something along the lines of 'Most people act in their own self-interest, but this does not preclude altruism or good faith' is more accurate.

Applying the terms Good and Evil to human behaviour is very vague in my opinion. They only tend to apply to extreme examples anyway. I prefer to think of it like this - Allah/God/Yaweh is the Ultimate Good, to which we must strive, but cannot attain; and Satan/the Devil/er... Loki is the Ultimate Evil, whose temptations we must avoid, and to which we must not sink.

We can never actually become the Ultimate Good, nor can we (I hope) become the Ultimate Evil, but it's a way of orienting ourselves.

Plus, though it's easy to call people Good, it tends to become very difficult to call certain people Evil, once we know more about them as human beings, their family, their aspirations etc. It's easy to call their actions Evil though.

Personally, of course, I would argue that neither offer solutions as they both totally miss the real problem. But that's a topic for another thread.
What would you say is the real problem?

format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Those worldviews are very similar to the change in political theory. Thomas Hobbes, an important political philosopher, believed that man was naturally chaotic. He called it the "state of nature". He proposed that mankind needed a powerful monarch to keep them in line and direct their energies to productive pursuits.

Then you have John Locke, who proposed that man was naturally good, and that tyranny and monarchs were responsible for destroying personal freedom and liberty.

As is usually the case, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I think it is obvious that mankind needs law and order to fend off anarchy and chaos. The issue is whether religious law and order is more effective than secular law. As an American, I believe secular law to be more acceptable than religious law, as long as my right to worship as I see fit is maintained. I believe both worldviews can live and function together as long one or the other isn't intending to limit the rights of the other.
I tend to agree. To me, it's not monarchs and tyranny per se, it's whether or not the rules are (perceived to be) fair.

And I really need to read Hobbes and Locke.

aamirsaab
11-19-2008, 01:53 PM
:sl:
My view is that we're born neutral (for the most part) also that we are demanding (inherintly, since we're unable to survive by ourselves at that age) and insecure (this goes hand in hand with previous point really but it's actually the real backbone of our psychological make up). On the plus side, we are also quite expressive at that age: our smiles are real smiles - not fake ones (which we master a few years later once we find out how to lie :p).
But we also have the wondeful ability to mimic anything and anyone - initially we can only mimic a few things but as we get older we get more and more practice.

In this respect, I think that we're neither inherintly good or bad but we do have the capability (both mentally and physically) to go either way.

Trumble
11-19-2008, 02:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
What would you say is the real problem?
Believing that anything has a continuing existence such that labels such as 'good', 'evil' and 'human nature' can appropriately be attached to it. It is that delusion that is ultimately responsible for all the suffering all religion atempts to relieve.

And I really need to read Hobbes and Locke.
Add Rousseau to the list as well; he has some very interesting observations on the subject.

KAding
11-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Stereotypical Anti-Religious Person - Boundaries drive men mad. Boundaries are unjust. Man will act justly without boundaries or control. Controlling human behaviour is inherently wrong.
I know it is a stereotype, but even then I think this is inaccurate. Keep in mind that only a minority of atheists are libertarians, many also have a Marxist background, especially historically.

I think it would be more accurate to say the "Stereotypical Anti-Religious Person" is not against rules and boundaries as such, but that he simply does not accept religions as a rational source for morality. In other words, he thinks such supposed "divine revelations" are an asinine way of setting these rules and boundaries.

Keltoi
11-21-2008, 12:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
I know it is a stereotype, but even then I think this is inaccurate. Keep in mind that only a minority of atheists are libertarians, many also have a Marxist background, especially historically.

I think it would be more accurate to say the "Stereotypical Anti-Religious Person" is not against rules and boundaries as such, but that he simply does not accept religions as a rational source for morality. In other words, he thinks such supposed "divine revelations" are an asinine way of setting these rules and boundaries.
I would tend to agree with that. Many of the Marxist inspired works I've read usually see Christianity as a path to weakness. Primarily due to the emphasis on the poor, weak, powerless, etc. Personally, outside of the Marxist philosophy, I see a sort of longing for the more Feudal days of Europe in these works. It almost goes back to Machiavelli.

Muezzin
11-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Heck, I'm a libertarian, and I know a Muslim who classes himself as Marxist, but point taken.

Course, I've never really understood how certain people can say 'freedom of thought' on one hand, and 'I don't believe in God and you do, so I'm going to be smug' on the other. :p

I've never really understood that mindset. If the rule itself is something generally agreed upon, why get worked up about its source? Isn't that simply a variation of ad hominem?

For instance:

'It is bad luck to walk under ladders'.

Yes. Because any number of accidents could occur. It's not supernatural, but if a supernatural explanation is the only thing keeping some people from doing it, I don't really see the harm.

Similarly, I don't think many people really dispute the morality of say, the Ten Commandments, or the Seven Deadly Sins or the Five Pillars of Islam or the Noble Tenfold Path etc. It's the origin of such things that ruffle some people's feathers, unneccessarily in my opinion.

However, this is not to say everyone, regardless of their religion, would agree with every single religious law of another religion.

KAding
11-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Heck, I'm a libertarian, and I know a Muslim who classes himself as Marxist, but point taken.

Course, I've never really understood how certain people can say 'freedom of thought' on one hand, and 'I don't believe in God and you do, so I'm going to be smug' on the other. :p
I don't understand, how is someone being 'smug' in violation with 'freedom of thought'?

Fact of the matter is that few atheists are anarchists. IMHO atheism is just a disbelief in God, not a disbelief in rules and regulation.

I've never really understood that mindset. If the rule itself is something generally agreed upon, why get worked up about its source? Isn't that simply a variation of ad hominem?
Good point, if it were so. But it isn't. Religious rules aren't "generally agreed upon".

In the case of religion the source is nevertheless to blame for an irrational moral code. The problem is the outcome, the source is the religious doctrine. For example, Islamic rules are not something that is "generally agreed upon". That simply isn't the case. Neither are the Ten Commandments something that is "generally agreed upon", a couple of the commandments are in fact diametrically opposed to the principles outlined in Declaration of Human Rights! "You shall have no other gods before me": oh really, what about this freedom of religion thingy? "Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy": I'm not Christian, why would I? "I am the Lord your God": no you aren't.

If Christian or Islamic morals really were just about "thou shalt not kill" I might agree with you, but they aren't. There is so much more to religious morals than the ten commandments. Womens rights, gay rights and the rights of religious minorities are IMHO all threatened by the religious doctrine of the three big Abrahamic religions.

Muezzin
11-24-2008, 11:45 PM
I don't understand, how is someone being 'smug' in violation with 'freedom of thought'?
I was being lighthearted about certain types who get on their high horses. To me, there's freedom of thought, and there's respecting other people's beliefs. To me, they go hand in hand. To others they don't necessarily. Some people effectively say 'deeply believe what you want, but I'm still going to laugh at what you deeply believe'. I find that hypocritical, frankly.

Fact of the matter is that few atheists are anarchists. IMHO atheism is just a disbelief in God, not a disbelief in rules and regulation.
Okay.

Good point, if it were so. But it isn't. Religious rules aren't "generally agreed upon".
I mean the religious rules that are generally agreed upon, such as 'thou shalt not kill'.

In the case of religion the source is nevertheless to blame for an irrational moral code. The problem is the outcome, the source is the religious doctrine.
Except those outcomes which do not contradict what is already generally agreed upon. Which is my point.

For example, Islamic rules are not something that is "generally agreed upon". That simply isn't the case. Neither are the Ten Commandments something that is "generally agreed upon", a couple of the commandments are in fact diametrically opposed to the principles outlined in Declaration of Human Rights! "You shall have no other gods before me": oh really, what about this freedom of religion thingy? "Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy": I'm not Christian, why would I? "I am the Lord your God": no you aren't.
So you agree with the other eight? Just because you disagree with two of them doesn't mean all of them are rubbish.

If Christian or Islamic morals really were just about "thou shalt not kill" I might agree with you, but they aren't. There is so much more to religious morals than the ten commandments. Womens rights, gay rights and the rights of religious minorities are IMHO all threatened by the religious doctrine of the three big Abrahamic religions.
And what about the Seven Deadly Sins?

I see what you're saying, but I always get the impression that people throw the baby out with the bathwater so to speak.

But, I'm going way off-topic. This thread is about the worldview of proponents of religion versus that of its critics.

Amadeus85
11-24-2008, 11:52 PM

Its just that when last time enlightened and educated people wanted to make out something without God/religion there appeared people like Stalin, Lenin, Mao Tse Tung, Pol Pot and Hitler.
I think that it is no coincidence that Holocaust hapenned after the Enlightment. Medival was cruel but people wasnt kiled then on mass scale like animals in factories.
Maybe its not coincidence that in my language words Enlightment (Oświecenie) and Auschwitz (Oświęcim) sound alike.
The biggest slaughters in human history were prepared by those who wanted to build godless society - Holocaust, The Great Hunger in Ukraina, the Maoist cultural revolution.
Without God/religion our civilization is left without morality code. People dying in Gulag or in concentration camps didint think about gay rights or religious minorites rights.

Muezzin
11-24-2008, 11:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
People dying in Gulag or in concentration camps didint think about gay rights or religious minorites rights.
Nor did those running them. :(

Grace Seeker
11-25-2008, 11:51 PM
I think that it is no coincidence that Holocaust hapenned after the Enlightment. Medival was cruel but people wasnt kiled then on mass scale like animals in factories.
I don't think that is because the Enlightenment gave rise to more evil, just that the Industrial Revolution followed the Enlightenment, so evil people now had factories they could use for their evil purposes.

Amadeus85
11-26-2008, 10:43 PM
I don't think that is because the Enlightenment gave rise to more evil, just that the Industrial Revolution followed the Enlightenment, so evil people now had factories they could use for their evil purposes.
We can also say that the communism was the perfect child of the most radical Enlightment wing.
There are so many similarities between communists and nowadays leftist liberals that its hard to name them all. I see it perfectly because my country was until 1989 in communists rule, and then after it under liberals rule.
I can say that in culture the nowadays liberals continue the work started by communists.
For example, things like changing the name of Christmas to Winter Holidays was done by communists in my country in 1950. In the same time, they changed Santa Claus into Grandpa Frost. Things like removing crosses from public places or removing religion lessons from school were done in 1950's during the most cruel stalinist regime.

Grace Seeker
11-28-2008, 12:16 AM
they changed Santa Claus into Grandpa Frost.
I don't have any comment on the rest of your post, but I sure don't have a problem with people getting rid of Santa Claus. I love the stories regarding the origins of St. Nicholas, but the modern day Santa is pure paganism and has no part in a celebration of the Christ.

Keltoi
11-28-2008, 01:51 PM
I don't have any comment on the rest of your post, but I sure don't have a problem with people getting rid of Santa Claus. I love the stories regarding the origins of St. Nicholas, but the modern day Santa is pure paganism and has no part in a celebration of the Christ.
It might not be popular with some folks, but I say take the rabbit out of Easter as well. Although I suppose the justification for keeping it is so non-Christians can still enjoy the holiday....

KAding
12-01-2008, 01:59 AM
It might not be popular with some folks, but I say take the rabbit out of Easter as well. Although I suppose the justification for keeping it is so non-Christians can still enjoy the holiday....
Of course, there is no one who is "keeping" the rabbit in Easter. Nor is there anyone who needs to justify it. It simply is part of our cultural traditions.

Keltoi
12-01-2008, 02:11 AM
Of course, there is no one who is "keeping" the rabbit in Easter. Nor is there anyone who needs to justify it. It simply is part of our cultural traditions.
I understand that, but in terms of religious observance it is seen as a pointless and needless distraction. The children like to hunt eggs, so I'm not trying to be "anti-rabbit" or anything. :D

alcurad
12-01-2008, 03:32 AM
We can also say that the communism was the perfect child of the most radical Enlightment wing.
There are so many similarities between communists and nowadays leftist liberals that its hard to name them all.
off topic, enlightenment philosophers simply replace god with the human mind or the collective law, they're not much away from religion as it was. not to mention their illogical reasoning. taking the human/mind as the basis for all, then affirming the Newtonian mechanistic worldview at the same time, but then the mind is simply matter in motion as well, which removes any pedestals to begin with.

on topic, Muezzin I think you made a sharp observation, bear in mind though, that people don't follow certain ideologies etc because said thought systems do not benefit/harm them. now you will get countless excuses like something being illogical or look how much damage it caused and whatnot but in the end the truth is, it is just an excuse not to follow.
I wouldn't say the world is made of polar opposites, but for religion's purposes seeing the world as such is useful at times.
enlightenment then secularism both see the human as inherently good, thus he should have his reins in his own hand. but the problem is, they don't provide answers, rather they simply deny, or deal in negatives so to speak, no god, no religion, no morals etc.

Qingu
12-01-2008, 04:26 AM
So, after absorbing many comparative religion debates (specifically those whose central question is some variation of whether or not religion is necessary in modern society and/or whether God exists), I've detected a subtext from certain debaters (who shall not be named since I'm exaggerating their characteristics) regarding their worldviews.

You've got your pro-religious debaters arguing that God's existence is an empirical, indisputable fact, and that religion is a Very Good Thing required to keep order in society, past, present or future.

Subtext - Man is inherently evil or dangerous, and must be kept under control with rules lest he and his savage brethren destroy the world with their chaotic disposition.

Then you've got your anti-religious debaters arguing that God is either a fabricated comfort figure or a pretense for madmen, and that religion itself is simply a societal control mechanism and, by definition, a Very Bad Thing.

Subtext - Man is inherently good, and must be freed from the shackles of rules lest it chafe his manly goodness and destroy his delicate flower heart.

I don't like it. I think a better way to think about it is as a difference between valuing tradition and valuing progress.

Religious people tend to value tradition. They believe that the most moral period of time was in the past. Christianity, Judaism and Islam have several "ideal periods" from which humanity has "fallen"—the Garden of Eden, David's Kingdom, Jesus and his apostles, Muhammad and the first three generations, etc. For religious people, these periods of time are moral pinnacles, and it is absurd to think think that, for example, our society today could be morally better than Muhammad's community.

Non-religious people, in my experience, don't believe people are inherently good. Instead, they believe that moral progress is ongoing. The world today has its problems, but I would certainly rather live today than in a period where slavery was legal and women were treated like property, as they were for most of history. Non-religious people do not believe any period of the past was a sacred time worthy of veneration. We try to learn from history (for example, secular Enlightenment thinkers took many ideas from ancient Greece and Rome, and secular European scientists took many ideas from Islamic scientists), but we pick and choose based on what works and what doesn't.

As an atheist, I agree with Muslims, Jews and Christians that human nature is somewhat "broken." But I see its broken-ness as a result of our evolution from primate ancestors, and the behavioral baggage that has brought with it. Culture, laws, education, and technology are ways to steer our nature towards better ends, and I think human history has largely been a movement (sometimes rocky and bumpy) in a positive direction. Religious people, on the other hand, tend to see any "progress" after their idealized historical period (whether it's 11th century B.C. Judea or 7th century Arabia) as a "fall," and would rather return to the moral systems of their prophets and traditions (which were largely normative of the ancient cultures to which they belonged).

Grace Seeker
12-01-2008, 04:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Qingu
Religious people tend to value tradition. They believe that the most moral period of time was in the past. Christianity, Judaism and Islam have several "ideal periods" from which humanity has "fallen"—the Garden of Eden, David's Kingdom, Jesus and his apostles, Muhammad and the first three generations, etc. For religious people, these periods of time are moral pinnacles, and it is absurd to think think that, for example, our society today could be morally better than Muhammad's community.
I think you have greatly simplified the worldview of religious people, while there may be some truth in it, I think the in far too many cases it is actually false and thus have actually oversimplified to the point that the comment isn't actually helpful in analyizing the complexities of those who hold a religious worldview.

Isn't one of the complaints by many against Christianity that Paul created a new religion. Can't make that claim and at the same time say that religious people are wedded to tradition. If one engages the emergent church, you will again find a whole movement of religious people that are abandoning the traditions of the past for new models of how to live out one's faith. I don't even think that I would say that the most moral time in the church's history was the time of Jesus and the apostles, and I am pretty much a traditionalists. So, while I appreciate much of what you had to say, I think you overreached on this point.

Qingu
12-01-2008, 04:45 AM
I think you have greatly simplified the worldview of religious people, while there may be some truth in it, I think the in far too many cases it is actually false and thus have actually oversimplified to the point that the comment isn't actually helpful in analyizing the complexities of those who hold a religious worldview.

Isn't one of the complaints by many against Christianity that Paul created a new religion. Can't make that claim and at the same time say that religious people are wedded to tradition. If one engages the emergent church, you will again find a whole movement of religious people that are abandoning the traditions of the past for new models of how to live out one's faith. I don't even think that I would say that the most moral time in the church's history was the time of Jesus and the apostles, and I am pretty much a traditionalists. So, while I appreciate much of what you had to say, I think you overreached on this point.
I will admit to overgeneralizing, and I am sure there are a large number of progressive Christians.

And I also agree with you that all religions, at their inception, are progressions or changes in society. But that wasn't my point. My point was that, once a religion comes into being, much of the energy by later religious people is directed at preserving the changes and making them permanent and unchangeable.

For example, Deuteronomy 4 quotes Yahweh as saying that all of the new laws in the Torah should never be changed and are good for all time. Revelation warns against future prophets, as does the Quran.

In Christian tradition, the actions and parables of Jesus are seen as enduring moral guidelines, and Paul's instructions to his congregations are as well. In Islam, the sunnah is an enduring moral guide. Jesus' and Muhammad's moral instructions were, for their time, somewhat progressive, or at least changes to the status quo. But at the same time, you couldn't hope to improve on the moral example of Muhammad (for Muslims) or of Jesus (for Christians).

I'm not denying that people like Moses, Jesus and Muhammad (assuming they existed) were agents of change. My point was that the religious nature of the change they brought was such that it tends to become ossified, rather than open to more change. But obviously, I'm sure there are exceptions among religious people.

Grace Seeker
12-01-2008, 05:08 AM
My point was that the religious nature of the change they brought was such that it tends to become ossified, rather than open to more change.
I heartily concur with your comments about ossification. It certainly does happen within the church, nearly all churches. Though I am not convinced that it is the nature of religious people as much as it is the nature of people in general, even the young who we often think of as change agents. The following is a true story which I think makes my point:

2001 some of the youth at the local high school decided that the day after their prom that they wanted to go with their dates to the local amusement park. Only a handful went, but they had a great time, and the following year many more went. By 2003, as the next prom was being planned, those who were now eligible to go to the prom (restricted to Juniors and Seniors) had become convinced that the trip the following day after the prom was an essential part of the prom experience because, in their own words, "we've always done it this way." Of course, in reality the practice was only 2 years old, and until that year had only be done by a relatively minor portion of those attending prom. But you couldn't convince this kids of it, because that is what they had always known, and they were convinced that it was an established tradition, never to be violated as an essential element to the whole prom experience.

The ossification of the young is actually an oft repeated story. I think that this sort of experimentation that becomes first enjoyed, then anticipated, and finally expected is how traditions become estabilshed in religious systems as well. But I don't think that it has to do with the people being religious, only that people like to create rituals and religions certainly lend themselves to creating rituals. Keltoi's bunny rabbits at Easter for instance. They aren't really a part of any religious tradition, but people who like to create rituals have done so, just as others will insist on singing "Auld Lang Syne" with the dropping of the ball in Times Square on New Year's Eve.

Qingu
12-02-2008, 02:19 AM
Yeah, I agree with you. I think the creation of dogmatic traditions is probably a natural human tendency (from an evolutionary perspective it makes sense—back in the preliterate age your ancestors' traditions were an incredibly useful bank of knowledge, and societies that venerated such traditions probably had an easier time surviving than those that didn't).

Grace Seeker, what do you know about Transhumanism and the Singularity? I remember (back when I regularly posted here a year ago), someone started a thread asking whether or not you would become immortal if offered the choice (like with anti-aging pills)—you were one of the few people to say yes. That strikes me as quite progressive. It seems like most religious people would say no—and most, or at least many, atheists/agnostics would say yes.

Grace Seeker
12-02-2008, 03:34 AM
Grace Seeker, what do you know about Transhumanism and the Singularity?
Not even enough to debate a Wikipedia article. But I would say that I think that Raymond Kurzweil's anticipation of there being exponential growth toward this Singularity concept is, IMHO, highly over estimated. I think that technological growth may indeed be progressing faster and faster, but new technologies will be accessed not to produce some posthuman, but to aid what we understand to be limitations in our humanness. In fact, I don't ever see us creating human consciousness in a previous inanimate object, no matter how advanced our technology. Even when we reach artificial intelligence, that still isn't going to be the same as human consciousness, self-awareness, and what I do think is a genuine spiritual search that goes on in all of us with 23 paired chromosones.

alcurad
12-02-2008, 07:01 PM
the brain is a pattern, replicate that and you have consciousness, no?

Grace Seeker
12-02-2008, 10:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
the brain is a pattern, replicate that and you have consciousness, no?
I don't think so. All animals have a brain, or at least some sort of nervous system that controls how they function. If all it took to have consciousness was to replicate that pattern then even the simple starfish would have consciousness and I don't think they do.

And trying to link this back in to the OP:

The starfish -- with no knowledge of self, let alone -- still responds to its environment in ways that seek to enhance its own life. But it does so oblivious to what that might mean for others, for it is oblivious (and therefore uncaring) with regard to others as well. The man without God may not be oblivious to others, and some may even be so altruistic to care for the well being of others. But without God there is nothing outside one's self to say that such altruism is indeed truly moral good, bad, or perhaps even inconsequential. Therefore the actions of a person who serves only self and who serves others are equal. "Freeing" man from the shackles of religion and religious values would mean that there is nothing wrong with a man acting like a starfish and devouring everything we can get our arms on.

Starfish not only have no consciousness, they have no conscience either, and I don't think we want that of a species that has the power to do as much harm/good in the world as humans possess.

alcurad
12-02-2008, 10:49 PM
but don't they, albeit one much less 'advanced than ours, not sure about the starfish though..

Grace Seeker
12-02-2008, 11:20 PM
but don't they, albeit one much less 'advanced than ours, not sure about the starfish though..
Maybe we need define what we mean by consciousness:
from Merriam-Webster

Main Entry: con·scious·ness
Function: noun
Date: 1629
1 a: the quality or state of being aware especially of something within oneself b: the state or fact of being conscious of an external object, state, or fact c: awareness ; especially : concern for some social or political cause
2: the state of being characterized by sensation, emotion, volition, and thought : mind
3: the totality of conscious states of an individual
4: the normal state of conscious life <regained consciousness>
5: the upper level of mental life of which the person is aware as contrasted with unconscious processes

from Wikipedia

Consciousness is a type of mental state, a way of perceiving, particularly the perception of a relationship between self and other.

The word "consciousness" is derived from Latin conscientia which primarily means moral conscience. In the literal sense, "conscientia" (or "con scientia") means knowledge-with, that is, shared knowledge.

Julian Jaynes argued in The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind, that for consciousness to arise in a person, language needs to have reached a fairly high level of complexity. According to Jaynes, human consciousness emerged as recently as 1300 BCE or thereabouts. He defines consciousness in such a way as to show how he conceives of it as a type of thinking which builds upon non human ways of perceiving.

Some philosophers, including W.V. Quine, and some neuroscientists, including Christof Koch, contest this hypothesis, arguing that it suggests that prior to this "discovery" of consciousness, experience simply did not exist.

Daniel Dennett points out that these approaches misconceive Jaynes's definition of consciousness as more than mere perception or awareness of an object. He notes that consciousness is like money in that having the thing requires having the concept of it, so it is a revolutionary proposal and not a ridiculous error to suppose that consciousness only emerges when its concept does.

In short, I don't think a starfish's level of awareness meets any of these criteria, nor to a whole lot of other animals. So, I don't see it being "created" as a function of technology. But I do think consciousness is a pre-requisite in order for us to be moral beings for without it, I don't think we can discriminate between good and bad. And I don't think that evaluation is a particularly religious position, though I will be curious what some of our other LI members think.

alcurad
12-03-2008, 03:17 AM
hmm, but what about the higher primates, dolphins and so on?
and don't most living creatures distinguish good and bad relative to themselves, at the basic level what they need to do in order to survive..
...evaluation...
did you mean evolution?

Muezzin, forgotten your thread already:)?

Qingu
12-03-2008, 04:07 AM
I don't think so. All animals have a brain, or at least some sort of nervous system that controls how they function. If all it took to have consciousness was to replicate that pattern then even the simple starfish would have consciousness and I don't think they do.
Starfish? Probably not.
Fish? Maybe.
Cats? Definitely.
Chimpanzees? Almost as complex as ours.
Neandertals? Almost identical to ours.

Where do you draw the line, Grace Seeker? I think the problem here is that you (and religious people) tend to see consciousness as this all-or-nothing thing; a soul. You either have a soul or you don't have a soul. On the other hand, I think consciousness is an emergent property.

And trying to link this back in to the OP:The starfish -- with no knowledge of self, let alone -- still responds to its environment in ways that seek to enhance its own life. But it does so oblivious to what that might mean for others, for it is oblivious (and therefore uncaring) with regard to others as well. The man without God may not be oblivious to others, and some may even be so altruistic to care for the well being of others. But without God there is nothing outside one's self to say that such altruism is indeed truly moral good, bad, or perhaps even inconsequential. Therefore the actions of a person who serves only self and who serves others are equal. "Freeing" man from the shackles of religion and religious values would mean that there is nothing wrong with a man acting like a starfish and devouring everything we can get our arms on.
Oh please. I could just as easily reduce your "altruism" to naked self-interest—you only want to be altruistic because you're scared of hell or eager to get into heaven. Religion is the ultimate carrot/stick.

And if you think you need your God as some sort of objective moral yardstick, I'm curious to know what you think about slavery and genocide. Your God commands both (see Deuteronomy chapter 20, as well as numerous other passages, such as the entire book of Joshua).

Do you think genocide and slavery are permissible? Do you believe that it would merely be acceptable to not follow through with such commandments today because Jesus would forgive you of the sin of not committing genocide and enslaving the survivors, contrary to God's commandment?

Or do you have some excuse to ignore this passage, so your holy book better reconciles with the modern, post-Enlightenment morality that I and most everyone in the West subscribe to?

If you're going to put yourself on a moral pedestal compared to atheists, Grace Seeker, you've sure picked an odd holy text for a footstool.

Starfish not only have no consciousness, they have no conscience either, and I don't think we want that of a species that has the power to do as much harm/good in the world as humans possess.
Now you're just playing with words. :)

Grace Seeker
12-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Qingu, please take a note of what I was talking about in saying that mere replication doesn't equal consciousness. The reference was to the creation of consciousness in artificial intelligence because as I understand the proposal put forth, it was suggested that to replicate the way a brain works would produce intelligence. Since the nervous system of a starfish generally works the same as that of a human being wouldn't they also therefore have consciousness based on this way of thinking. You say they don't, so perhaps you don't think that it is so easy to create consciousness either by the simple replication of the way humans process information. Or do you?

As to whether or not other animals have consciousness, I did say " I don't think a starfish's level of awareness meets any of these criteria [for having consciousness], nor to a whole lot of other animals." But I didn't say that none did. But consciousness is more than just being instinctively aware of what one needs to survive. Look at the discussion I provided from a number of different philosophers (none of them positing religious ideas, I might add) and note that they referred to the need to form concepts. Almost all animals have an awareness of their surrounds, they must in order to react to it, and they must react in order to survive. But to form concepts, to interpret their experiences. This seems to be limited to those that we classify as animals of higher orders. Indeed, I suspect that is one of the reasons we speak of them as being of higher order. Now exactly where does one draw the line? I don't know. I was only showing that the presence of intelligence does not in and of itself produce consciousness. Presumably some place between a starfish and a human being, but since you are the one ordering creatures, I'll let you draw the line. It doesn't change my basic point which is that there is a line. And I suspect that artificial intelligence may one day be able to mimic much of human thought, but I sincerely doubt that it will include consciousness as the philosophers I mentioned discussed it.

Why you brought the discussion of a soul into the conversation in responding to me, I don't know. You will note that I never mentioned it. Yes I do see the soul as something one either has or doesn't have. However, I don't see the soul as being equated with consciousness. As you said, consciousness has an emergent property to it. So, why I are disputing me with regard to a point I never even made?

As far as God being a moral yardstick, what moral yardstick do you suggest? Will it be something that is as emergent as one's sense of consciousness? If so, then it is relative and my yardstick becomes as good as yours. If it isn't emergent, then it either exists or it doesn't exist. And if no moral yardstick actually exists, then nothing is either good nor bad, it just is. If it does exist, then there is a standard. We may not always understand the standard, interpret it well, or even accept it as one we agree with, but there is one just the same.

And, yes, I was playing with words at the end. Everyone has to have a little fun sometime, don't you think? Playing word games is not something done souly by atheists. :)

Keltoi
12-03-2008, 12:44 PM

As far as God being a moral yardstick, what moral yardstick do you suggest? Will it be something that is as emergent as one's sense of consciousness? If so, then it is relative and my yardstick becomes as good as yours. If it isn't emergent, then it either exists or it doesn't exist. And if no moral yardstick actually exists, then nothing is either good nor bad, it just is. If it does exist, then there is a standard. We may not always understand the standard, interpret it well, or even accept it as one we agree with, but there is one just the same.
Again this reminded me of Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes. He suggested that without authority, in his case an absolute authority, there is no moral yardstick. Without authority there is no law, and without law there is neither right or wrong. Hobbes did not see religion as the absolute authority because he was interested in stability, and from his experience with the Wars of Religion in France he felt religion could not provide that. However the premise is the same in both scenarios.

Hobbes: the state of nature, meaning chaos

Christianity: the state of nature, meaning sin

Qingu
12-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Qingu, please take a note of what I was talking about in saying that mere replication doesn't equal consciousness. The reference was to the creation of consciousness in artificial intelligence because as I understand the proposal put forth, it was suggested that to replicate the way a brain works would produce intelligence. Since the nervous system of a starfish generally works the same as that of a human being wouldn't they also therefore have consciousness based on this way of thinking. You say they don't, so perhaps you don't think that it is so easy to create consciousness either by the simple replication of the way humans process information. Or do you?
A human's brain is vastly more complex than a starfish's nervous system—in the same way that my current computer's processor is vastly more complex than the vacuum-tube-based processors of the 1950's.

But intelligence is just a matter of complexity, and I don't see why the physical substrate of the computing machine (neurons in chemical solution vs. semiconductors and logic gates) matters at all.

We have already invented machines with more intelligence than invertebrate animals. Certainly an autonomous robot with the capability to understand and react to speech commands has more intelligence than, for example, a starfish. Interacting with Google is often more productive than interacting with human reference sources—this is because of Google's massively complex and constantly evolving AI. The difference between starfish-level AI and human-level AI is not fundamental, it's simply a matter of complexity.

As to whether or not other animals have consciousness, I did say " I don't think a starfish's level of awareness meets any of these criteria [for having consciousness], nor to a whole lot of other animals." But I didn't say that none did. But consciousness is more than just being instinctively aware of what one needs to survive. Look at the discussion I provided from a number of different philosophers (none of them positing religious ideas, I might add) and note that they referred to the need to form concepts. Almost all animals have an awareness of their surrounds, they must in order to react to it, and they must react in order to survive. But to form concepts, to interpret their experiences. This seems to be limited to those that we classify as animals of higher orders. Indeed, I suspect that is one of the reasons we speak of them as being of higher order. Now exactly where does one draw the line? I don't know. I was only showing that the presence of intelligence does not in and of itself produce consciousness. Presumably some place between a starfish and a human being, but since you are the one ordering creatures, I'll let you draw the line. It doesn't change my basic point which is that there is a line. And I suspect that artificial intelligence may one day be able to mimic much of human thought, but I sincerely doubt that it will include consciousness as the philosophers I mentioned discussed it.
I agree with much of what you say here. I see consciousness as subjective experience, and I am not sure that a starfish has that; a sponge certainly doesn't, let alone plants.

However, I disagree that the "line" is as hard-and-fast as you characterize. Here is how I see the nature of consciousness. All living organisms react to stimuli. Plants grow towards sunlight—so even they have some inner mechanism that categorizes stimuli into "grow/not-grow" categories. The point of a nervous system is to better categorize stimuli. Starfish react in more diverse ways than plants. Invertebrates like ants—whose nervous systems have nearly evolved into centralized brains—have even more "categories"—good food/bad food; friend/enemy; follow smell/stay away.

As nervous systems and brains evolve, it's reasonable to conclude that the brain categorizes internal states of the body as well as external stimuli—for example, hungry/not hungry; pain/pleasure.

So here is what I think: what we call consciousness—the subjective experience of existing that we humans and most other vertebrates, at least, have—is simply the brain's way of categorizing its own internal state. The effect is something like putting two mirrors facing each other—or, as Douglas Hofstader argues in this book, (which I would highly recommend!) a "strange loop."

As brains evolve and become more and more capable of such internal, self-referential categorization, consciousness also evolves, becoming more and more complex. But I'm not sure we can draw any hard and fast line about when a sufficient complexity of nervous-system categorization arises to produce consciousness (though, certainly, a nervous system seems essential at least).

Why you brought the discussion of a soul into the conversation in responding to me, I don't know. You will note that I never mentioned it. Yes I do see the soul as something one either has or doesn't have. However, I don't see the soul as being equated with consciousness. As you said, consciousness has an emergent property to it. So, why I are disputing me with regard to a point I never even made?
Fair enough—"soul" is certainly a loaded term (I tend to equate it functionally with consciousness), and as it turns out it looks like you mostly agree with me on the nature of consciousness anyway. Though now I am curious as to how you think the soul interacts with consciousness.

First of all, you are simply declaring Yahweh is a moral yardstick by fiat. I could just as easily declare that the god of any religion or video game is a moral yardstick. I could even declare "Be excellent to each other, and party on dudes!" is the objective moral yardstick, from [i]Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. Just because an ancient book, videogame, or 80's movie says something is a moral yardstick does not make it so.

Secondly, I notice that you did not answer my question. If Yahweh of the Bible is your moral yardstick, do you think genocide and slavery should be permissible? Because that is exactly what the Bible says. If you don't think they should be permissible, why not? I think this is quite important—because I don't think the Bible and its moral law is your yardstick at all. I think your moral yardstick is largely the same as mine—post enlightenment, humanist morality, which opposes slavery, genocide, female oppression, and values happiness and freedom—and that you interpret the Bible to fit this external moral view.

Thirdly, to answer your question: I think morals are, in one sense, certainly relative: Hitler didn't think he was evil, he thought he was right. Nearly everyone disagrees on what is good and what is wrong. You can hold some book (or videogame or 80's movie) up and saying "this is actually what's good and bad," and someone else will hold another book up and say the same thing with opposite content. I don't think you disagree.

However: I do think that moral systems are selected for over time. Take slavery. For most of history, slavery was perfectly acceptable in almost every culture. Today, it is almost universally reviled. Why? At risk of over-simplifying, slave-owning societies could not compete with non-slave-owning societies—and the world's moral system progressed.

Now, I think it's important to note that morality does not exist in a vacuum. It is intimately tied into economic and technological systems. Part of the reason slavery died out is because of the emergence of a moral system that values human empathy and equality, but perhaps a bigger part is the emergence of industrial economies and technologies that made slavery obselete. In America, the slave-owning South could not compete economically with the industrial North (which is why I am skeptical that the Civil War really needed to be fought); in Britain, slavery gradually died out on its own, replaced by the Industrial Revolution. This revolution brought its own problems (moral and economic), but we've progressed beyond them as well.

Societies are constantly evolving as new technologies evolve. This drives the nature of economy, which in turn drives the nature of morality. As I said before, I think there are some bumps and rockiness, but on the whole, I think the world has been morally improving over time. I would rather live today than at any other period in history. At the same time, I imagine there is plenty about our society that our future descendants will think is barbaric and immoral (if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the area of animal rights is one such example).

So that's my "yardstick," though it hardly functions like your yardstick. I think superior moral systems are those which survive over time. And because of this, I think it's important to try to get a sense—by looking at history, and by examining human psychology—about what kind of moral systems tend to work out the best. I think history shows that moral systems that value empathy and happiness, that allow lots of freedoms, that encourage scientific progress, and are relatively inclusive, tend to flourish and remain stable. Ancient Greece and Rome, the Golden Age Caliphates, and much of modern Western culture have been marked by these qualities (well, relative to other civilizations contemporary to them), and they are the ones that have historically flourished.

And, yes, I was playing with words at the end. Everyone has to have a little fun sometime, don't you think? Playing word games is not something done souly by atheists. :)
Ugh. :)

Qingu
12-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Again this reminded me of Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes. He suggested that without authority, in his case an absolute authority, there is no moral yardstick. Without authority there is no law, and without law there is neither right or wrong. Hobbes did not see religion as the absolute authority because he was interested in stability, and from his experience with the Wars of Religion in France he felt religion could not provide that. However the premise is the same in both scenarios.

Hobbes: the state of nature, meaning chaos

Christianity: the state of nature, meaning sin
To repeat what I said in the above post: I don't think any god is an "authority" because you're just declaring them to be an authority by fiat.

I think the real "authority," ultimately, is simply what happens in the world over time—the natural selection of ideas. Just as certain technologies work better than others, certain moral systems work better than others.

Obviously, having laws works better than having no laws. The question is what laws, and that is an ongoing experiment.

alcurad
12-03-2008, 08:18 PM
but then all knowledge depends on declarations by fiat to begin with.

Qingu
12-03-2008, 08:49 PM
but then all knowledge depends on declarations by fiat to begin with.
I disagree.

One guy can declare that a dropped stone will fall; another guy can declare that it will float in the air. The first declaration is "knowledge" because you can test it, and it turns out to be right. The second declaration is "false" because testing it disproves it.

Testability is key to how science works and progresses. Wide-ranging scientific theories, like Einstein's theory of relativity, can't be tested as easily as dropping a stone, but when they hold together with repeated testing over a wide range of phenomena and help explain those phenomena, they are considered "knowledge" or "true" or "proven" (these words have a range of meaning, but I basically mean they are accepted).

I think that, in the long term, moral systems are tested in the same way. Moral systems which work, which lead to social stability and a happy populace, are considered "good." Moral systems which do not work, lead to unhappy populaces, or lead to unstable wars or internal corruption, are considered "bad." Reality over time is the ultimate testing ground.

alcurad
12-03-2008, 09:17 PM
physics theory becoming more like the ramblings of some unknown sufi sect-think light cone beings, super strings, dark matter etc- without much actual physical evidence to begin with, physics the 'mother' of all sciences does not have a cohesive testable theory in place for the question of where did it all come from, that's what I mainly meant by all knowledge beginning with fiat. not that it practically matters..

what's your take on morals btw, I mean don't they have too many fiats for you to believe in:?

Qingu
12-03-2008, 09:22 PM
physics theory becoming more like the ramblings of some unknown sufi sect-think light cone beings, super strings, dark matter etc- without much actual physical evidence to begin with, physics the 'mother' of all sciences does not have a cohesive testable theory in place for the question of where did it all come from, that's what I mainly meant by all knowledge beginning with fiat. not that it practically matters..
There is a lot in physics that is unresolved—but this is (mostly) because it is untestable.

The stuff that is testable has been proven beyond a doubt. We know that relativity is true, and GPS systems actually rely on this knowledge. Quantum mechanics, though admittedly pretty strange, has been thoroughly tested and is responsible for making the machine you are using right now work. This is why it does matter, practically—when physics works, it makes useful technologies work.

Relativity and QM work for their domains—the very large and the very small. But there's stuff even larger, and even smaller, that still needs testing, and we're not really sure how to connect these domains. But our knowledge is improving every day. Certainly you'd agree we know more today about physics than we did 50 years ago, yes?

what's your take on morals btw, I mean don't they have too many fiats for you to believe in:?
Um. I've been writing about my "take" on morals for pretty much this whole thread! :) Do you have any specific questions?

alcurad
12-03-2008, 09:28 PM
naturally we know more:), but I don't think some questions can be answered. add to that, quantum and relativity haven't been combined yet.

I meant the whole idea of morals to begin with. do you think they are at all necessary in our day and age-post enlightenment-, what afterwords?
I'd say no matter how advanced, humans will not stop using religion/morals, humanism being the most obvious example.

Qingu
12-03-2008, 09:49 PM
I meant the whole idea of morals to begin with. do you think they are at all necessary in our day and age-post enlightenment-, what afterwords, in a post-humanist sense?
I think I ought to define what I mean when I say "moral"—maybe this is different from what you mean.

I understand morals as just codes of behavior that aren't inborn or instinctual. In other words, you have to learn them from culture/parents—though they can certainly be based on instincts.

So really, I have trouble understanding your question. As long as there is behavior, I think there will be codes or rules (morals) governing that behavior in some way.

There was just an article in Science about how ants figure out single-file marching across a narrow bridge. It turns out that different species of ants have different genetic programming that determines whether or not they wait or try to go first, but the end result is basically orderly.

Now, this isn't morals (because I've defined morals as learned, not instinctual), but I think morals basically work the same way. As long as there are bridges to cross, streets to cross, ways of communicating, acting, moving, etc.—in short, behaving—it's always going to be more useful and advantageous to have some sort of rules (morals) governing that behavior than pure anarchy.

I'd say no matter how advanced, humans will not stop using religion/morals, humanism being the most obvious example.
Well, I *think* we're in agreement then.

Zamtsa
01-07-2009, 06:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble

It's very interesting that according to those positions it is the theists who believe man is 'inherently evil or dangerous' while the atheists think him 'inherently' good! There's obviously something wrong somewhere, and I think that is simply because the first position is intellectually incoherent. God, as theists perceive him, simply cannot be reconciled to that view of humanity. Most perceive humanity as inherently good, I think, whatever their religious views, or lack of them

Thanksgiving and praise are due to Allah alone, we seek aid from Him alone; and we beseech forgiveness of our sins from Him only; and consign ourselves to the protection of Allah against the evils of our souls and against all offences. Truly, whomsoever Allah guides on the straight path (and He puts him only on the straight path who sincerely desires to walk along that way), no one can lead him astray. And whomsoever God deflects (and He deflects only him who yearns to be defelcted), no one can put him on the straight path. And I bear witness that there is no deity except Allah and I testify that Muhammad is the bondman of Allah and His Messenger.

3:102 O ye who believe! Fear Allah as He should be feared, and die not except in a state of Islam.

4:1 O mankind! reverence your Guardian-Lord, who created you from a single person, created, of like nature, His mate, and from them twain scattered (like seeds) countless men and women;- reverence Allah, through whom ye demand your mutual (rights), and (reverence) the wombs (That bore you): for Allah ever watches over you.

33:70-71 O ye who believe! Fear Allah, and (always) say a word directed to the Right.That He may make your conduct whole and sound and forgive you your sins: He that obeys Allah and His Messenger, has already attained the highest achievement. Amma ba'du Prophet(sw) said, "Verily the most truthful communication is the Book of Allah, the best guidance is from Muhammad, and the worst of all things are innovations; every innovation is heresy, every heresy is error, and every error leads to hell

Human beings are told to wear jilbab, cover their aurat, being given news about Allahu Ta'ala, being Hudud after they are being reported by the society as doing big sins which must be punish by Hududullah in Al Qur'an. Their willingness to accept Hududullah will erase their sins and will lead them to Jannatul Ma'wa khaalidina fiiha.

Assalamu'alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!