/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fatwas

Silver
11-26-2008, 07:09 AM
In the first years of Islam, when people came to a mufti to ask for a fatwa, he would be very careful about his fatwa and if he wasn't sure he used to say: God knows best.

Nowadays, there are cheikhs making fatwas on TV, in all mosques...and this is lessening the credibility of the fatwas. I think that only a limited number of muftis should be allowed to make fatwas and only on subjects that really matter.

A while ago, I heard a fatwa against Mickey Mouse saying that this cartoon character must die because mice are filthy!
What can I say to a non-muslim if he asks me about fatwas like this? This is really driving a lot of people away from Islam...and the medias are using this againt Islam.

Fatwas are supposed to be here to make life easier for muslims, not to complicate it...they should be reasonable showing people what Islam is really all about...

It is really sad that a lot of people today only care about some superficial aspects of Islam and neglecting the true worship of God.

I think that we should take a stand against fatwas like this because they are harming Islam.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
doorster
11-26-2008, 08:12 AM
I agree and disagree in equal measure with the post above.
A while ago, I heard a fatwa against Mickey Mouse saying that this cartoon character must die because mice are filthy!
What can I say to a non-muslim if he asks me about fatwas like this? This is really driving a lot of people away from Islam...and the medias are using this againt Islam.
my reply to them is: The Mouse warrior is in no way my representative!

on the other hand what could be wrong with non-sectarian ulemaa -- whose feet are firmly planted in present time and have the ability to Understand Quraan and Sahih Sunat e Rasul -- explaining Islam to masses by means of any medium available to them?

have you not heard of Aalims like Hazraat Usmani, Qardaavi, Zulkader Siddiqui, Muzammil H. Siddiqi and hundreds like them? when did they ever embarass you/us? I am not saying that they are infallible, they might make mistakes then correct themselves to become even better.

Silver
11-26-2008, 08:47 AM
have you not heard of Aalims like Hazraat Usmani, Qardaavi, Zulkader Siddiqui, Muzammil H. Siddiqi and hundreds like them? when did they ever embarass you/us? I am not saying that they are infallible, they might make mistakes then correct themselves to become even better.
I am not at all muftis are embarassing islam. Of course not!!! Fatwas are necessary to guide muslims. I am just against those who are making fatwas about anything and there are a lot of them these days!They're not taking the time to think about their fatwas...if peope want to attack islam they will take advantage of fatwas like this to show the world that islam is not a tolerant religion...

doorster
11-26-2008, 08:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lara
I am not saying that all muftis are embarrassing Islam. Of course not!!! Fatwas are necessary to guide Muslims.
jazakillaa khair!
I am just against those who are making fatwas about anything and there are a lot of them these days!They're not taking the time to think about their fatwas..
me too!.
if people want to attack Islam they will take advantage of fatwas like this to show the world that Islam is not a tolerant religion...
those who want to attack Islam will do so in spite of and not only because of the loony fringe. There is hardly anything we can do except to separate ourselves from both of them (if we are unable to refute them) to save time for better things :w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Knight
11-26-2008, 08:55 AM
There's a whole lot of hadiths and sayings of the salaf on the issue of issuing fatwa.

Found one here.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
11-26-2008, 02:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lara
:sl:

The quote about Mickey Mouse was taken out of context. Let's verify what the media says before we believe it. The Shaykh clarifies what he actually said here [in English too!]:

http://egyptiangumbo.com/kill-mickey...nglish-151.htm

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.