/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Tarek or Tony

Tony
11-29-2008, 11:29 PM
A simple question but a sincere one. When I embraced Islam I was given the name Tarek, Nothing else just that. Should I replace my name (Tony) with this and keep my surname, should I change name by deedpoll or should I go to scholar for another name. Its confusing me, I am prepared to go by an Islamic name (hard as it may be inviting ridicule) but I need some guidance here. To put it in context I see Cat Stevens go by the name Yusuf Islam and not Yusuf Stevens. I hope this is clear to anyone reading it, Peace:sl:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
UmmSqueakster
12-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Do you want to change your name? One is only required to change their name if their current name has negative connotations in islam, like "slave of Jesus," a negative meaning, like "stupid boy," or something like similar. Basically, your name should have a positve meaning.

You should not change your last name. In the Qur'an, it says:

33:05 Call them by (the names of) their fathers: that is juster in the sight of Allah. But if ye know not their father's (names, call them) your Brothers in faith, or your maulas. But there is no blame on you if ye make a mistake therein: (what counts is) the intention of your hearts: and Allah is Oft-Returning, Most Merciful.

From the scholars at islamonline:

Islam emphasizes that Muslims should have good names and give good names to their children. It is reported in a hadith that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, "You will be called on the Day of Resurrection by your names and the names of your fathers, so have good names." (Reported by Abu Dawud)

During the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) when people used to accept Islam, he would not require all people to change their names. He used to change only those names that carried wrong meanings or un-Islamic ideas and concepts. The Prophet's wife `A'ishah (may Allah be pleased with her) said about the Prophet, "He used to change bad names." (Reported by at-Tirmidhi)

I did not change my name. I'm Jennifer. It's the name my parents chose for me, and inshaAllah I'm honoring them by keeping it. I'm still often asked when I'm going to get a "muslim name," to which I simply smile and reply that I do have a muslim name. I'm a muslim and therefore Jennifer is the name of a muslim, and as such is a muslim name.

alcurad
12-02-2008, 10:25 PM
as sister Janaan said, you needn't change your name, it's not required.

Danah
12-03-2008, 07:29 AM
same as above, if ur name does not have any negative meaning, then keep it my brother

May allah guide u always to the best

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Silver
12-03-2008, 08:09 AM
I agree...if your name doesn't have a negative connotation you can keep it. Your name is a variant of the name Anthony which is a greek name (from the Roman family name Antonius) . It means flourishing...I think you can keep it.

Gia
12-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Your name is the short form of Anthony which has both Latin and greed origins, and it means "priceless, flourishing, flower" which is a perfectly nice meaning which does not contradict with Islam at all. As for your last name, I don't think that you should change it :) you're not disconnecting yourself from your family, are you?

Muezzin
12-03-2008, 05:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by TKTony
A simple question but a sincere one. When I embraced Islam I was given the name Tarek, Nothing else just that. Should I replace my name (Tony) with this and keep my surname, should I change name by deedpoll or should I go to scholar for another name. Its confusing me, I am prepared to go by an Islamic name (hard as it may be inviting ridicule) but I need some guidance here. To put it in context I see Cat Stevens go by the name Yusuf Islam and not Yusuf Stevens. I hope this is clear to anyone reading it, Peace:sl:
Well, it's your name. You're not obligated to change it by virtue of becoming Muslim. As has been said, 'Tony' has a perfectly good meaning. :)

Which is a roundabout way of saying, do what you wish - it doesn't make a difference Islamically, it's just a question of what name you personally are comfortable being called.

Tony
12-03-2008, 06:14 PM
:w: Thankyou people, Anthony it is then. Think I can cope with flourishing flower. Peace

glo
12-03-2008, 09:22 PM
A simple question but a sincere one. When I embraced Islam I was given the name Tarek, Nothing else just that.
I am curious, when you say 'you were given' the name Tarek what do you mean?
Who gave you that name?

(Hope you don't mind me asking)

Peace

alcurad
12-03-2008, 11:10 PM
:w: Thankyou people, Anthony it is then.Think I can cope with flourishing flower. Peace
now you want to call yourself flourishing flower:blind:?

Gia
12-04-2008, 05:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
now you want to call yourself flourishing flower:blind:?
What's wrong with that? :mmokay:

Strzelecki
12-04-2008, 06:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I am curious, when you say 'you were given' the name Tarek what do you mean?
Who gave you that name?

(Hope you don't mind me asking)

Peace
This too struck me...

anatolian
12-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Salam Tony or Tarek..Do whatever you want .."Tarek Tony" would solve the problem :D

Tony
12-05-2008, 08:03 PM
The imam at mosque where I converted in order to get married gave me te name Tarek. Prefer m own name though, and yes what is wrong with flourishing flower, definatley bee called worse:D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.