/* */

PDA

View Full Version : My intolerant family.

Al Qalam
12-05-2008, 03:04 AM
Does anyone have any advice on becoming a Muslim among Christian family members who are hostile to Islam? I have had to keep my Quran, Hadiths, and other Muslim books hidden just to maintain peace, and I know there would be big trouble if I told my family I was embracing Islam. Their hearts are sealed, and unfortunately their perception of Islam has been heavily influenced by the American media.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ali_Cena
12-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Salaam Brother,
i suggest you show them some of Ahmed Deedat and Zakir Naik, on debates with Islam-Christianity, and show them the "Islam and the Media" by Zakir Naik. That will ease them up i think. anways hope it works out for ya
Peace

Leyla73
12-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Yeah, and you should prove to them that Islam is the right religion, convict them. Show them photos of where there's written Allah in the sky, or on animals, or on fruits, and even the famous picture where it says Allah on the wave of the tsunami...
Might help =) Well, i hope it will for you.

Oh! And also, i don't know if you know this one story. It's reeeally interesting, and you can find more information about it probably on the Internet. So actually, this man, who was from a non Muslim family, wanted to convert himself to Islam but his mother didn't want him to at all, she hated Muslims. So he always read the Quran and stuff. And one day his mother RIPPED it and flushed it down the toilet!!:raging:
And guess what? She slowly became a RAT!! And now she's like in this hospital for crazy people or something. But i mean, i saw a pic... And.. Omg...

You should tell your parents about that, with showing the photo of the mom-rat. Maybe they'll listen and believe you :)

Anyways, i wish you the best and good luck!
Give us news! :thumbs_up

Hamza Asadullah
12-14-2008, 03:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Qalam
Does anyone have any advice on becoming a Muslim among Christian family members who are hostile to Islam? I have had to keep my Quran, Hadiths, and other Muslim books hidden just to maintain peace, and I know there would be big trouble if I told my family I was embracing Islam. Their hearts are sealed, and unfortunately their perception of Islam has been heavily influenced by the American media.
Being a new muslim in a family of non-muslims

First of all, if you are in the position of being a new muslim in a family of non-muslims, then many congratulations to you, and alhamdulillah that you have been guided to what we believe is the right path. May Allah(swt) reward you for your efforts in getting this far, and may Allah (swt) shower many blessings on you. May you be guided through this transition in your life and may your faith grow stronger with each day. May you become an excellent muslim and through your example may others be inspired, and may your family find a contentment in your decision through your new found happiness in your life, inshaAllah.

Telling your family you have become a Muslim

For some muslim converts telling their family of their decision is no problem at all. Some families of converts are very happy at the choice to become a muslim, and it is welcomed. Unfortunately though for other converts this is a difficult process, with various obstacles to face.

Let us start by reminding ourselves what the Qur’an says (2.286):

Allah (swt) does not impose upon any soul a duty but to the extent of it's ability; for it is (the benefit of) what it has earned, and upon it (the evil of) what it has wrought: Our Lord! do not punish us if we forget or make a mistake; Our Lord! do not lay on us a burden as Thou didst lay on those before us; Our Lord! do not impose upon us that which we have not the strength to bear; and pardon us and grant us protection and have mercy on us, Thou art our Patron, so help us against the unbelieving people.

If we keep this in mind we will be fine.

Alhumdalillah, as converts, Allah (swt) immediately allows us this opportunity to spread Islam within our family and inshaAllah earn some good deeds.

Your family are not at all religious and cannot understand why you would want to become religious.

BEING A NEW MUSLIM IN A FAMILY OF NON-MUSLIMS

It is sad when people feel that religion is not important. I cannot understand how any person could be content to go through life and not think about what comes after their death. Some people are happy to live for today and not worry about tomorrow. Unfortunately this then leads them to question other people who do have a religion. They wonder why religious people bother to waste their time with religion, they think that time spent performing religious duties could be spent in a 'more enjoyable' way. They cannot see the spiritual gains in religious actions.

There are also people who like to 'put down' others who are religious because they themselves are scared. They think that there might be something in religion, they wonder if perhaps there is a God and a point to life. But as they have not bothered to make any investigations for themselves they do not like to be reminded of the fate that they suspect might await them. If they are not looking into religion, despite their doubts, then they do not want anyone else to either.
Of course there is always hope with all people. Many individuals have no interest in religion, then a spark is ignited within them, and through the Mercy of Allah (swt) they are guided.

If your family are of the second category then at least you have something more to work with. If your family think that there might be something in religion, but have not made any attempt to find out, then perhaps you now have the opportunity to help them. You could perhaps explain how you found religion, the books you read, the people you spoke to. What was it that convinced you about Islam? I think you need to take a soft approach, if possible let them find out some information for themselves. If you go in 'all guns blazing' then this may just add to their guilt that they haven't looked into religion themselves, and they may feel anger towards you. A gentle approach, asking them what they think and getting them to give their opinion on matters, I think would work best. InshaAllah they will develop their own interest in religion and then in time start to feel very relieved that they are now acting upon the thoughts that they had previously been battling against.

If your parents are of the first category, ie just can't see the point in religion, then you could try to make them understand that there is a point. This may need to start with proving to them that God does exist. This is really too much to get into now, but there are many websites that could help with this quest. Please contact ZAYNAB5@AOL.COM if you would like to be pointed in the right direction.

Of course your parents, despite your hard efforts, may still be uninterested in religion, and may still be unhappy at your choice to be a muslim. In this situation we suggest that you try and point out to them that your new religion does not change who you are. They still have their son or daughter that they always had. In many ways your parents have gained, please refer to 'Duty to Parents' and 'Treatment of Non-Muslims' in the previous solution.
Just because you are now a muslim, you are still you. There will now be some things that you will start to do that you never did before, and there will be some things that you stop doing that you used to do, but that is all.
Perhaps make them understand that you have everything to win and nothing to lose. You could tell them that if you are right, then living your life as a muslim will earn you a reward inshaAllah. If you are wrong, then you have still enjoyed a good life, and you have lived your life to a very high moral level, what is the objection here?

Who to Tell?

When I use the word 'family' this is referring to whoever you decide. For myself, I was concerned with telling my parents and my brother about my change of religion. Telling other family members was something that to me was not as urgent, but would be necessary in time. I felt that I wanted to gain the understanding and hopefully the support of my parents prior to tackling anyone else. For others though, they may have other family members that they would want to talk to first. Perhaps an aunt who you feel is open minded and receptive to new ideas, who in fact, may help you talk with your parents. Or perhaps a brother or sister would be easier to tell initially before talking to your parents. This is just something to consider.

What Method to use to tell your family?

The actual method of telling your family really comes down to the relationship that you have with them. Have you always had a relationship that allows the free and easy discussion of any topic? Or is your relationship good, but discussions of topics that might rock the boat are rare? Or perhaps you feel you have a not so good relationship with them.

Face to Face Conversation

I would advise the best method is to just sit down and talk to them in an environment that will allow them to express their views freely, ie talk to them privately, somewhere where they and you feel comfortable. This will allow for a conversaton to take place, giving them the opportunity to ask questions and you the opportunity to get across the main points that you feel are important. I know you may feel that you want some of your muslim friends with you, but this may stifle your family's reaction, they may not feel they can ask questions about the religion in front of a muslim audience for example.
A face to face conversation also gives you the opportunity to observe their real reactions and body language, something that will be lost with a telephone call or letter.

A Letter

If you feel that you are unable to talk to your family face to face then writing a letter is an option to consider. A letter has the advantage of allowing you time to write and re-write until you are happy that you have expressed yourself in the best possible way. You have the opportunity to make sure that you include everything that you want and that the best possible wording is used.

The disadvantage is clear, you can niether see nor hear their initial reactions. The reaction that you receive will be a delayed reaction, ie when you next see your family, or when they have read and digested your letter they will phone you. A lot can be learned from witnessing their initial reaction, although some may prefer to only get a reaction once the family have had some time to contemplate what you have told them.

You might want to consider telling your family face to face, but afterwards leave them with a letter that you had previously prepared. This would ensure any points that you were not able to convey during the conversation, were not missed altogether.

A Phone Call

This method does not really apply too well to individuals who still live with their family. Going out of the house to then phone back to the house to tell them, only then to return to the house later, does not seem the best option :)
For those living apart from their family, this could be considered. However, if the family live relatively close by then I would suggest telling them face to face, rather than down the phone, and only consider the phone in the cases where family live at a distance and visits are few and far between.
Using the phone to tell family still involves having to talk to them, so if possible, going the extra step and telling them face to face would be better. The phone obviously stops you seeing their reaction, it is not always easy to get a true understanding of someone's real feelings down the phone. I feel that a phonecall to talk to your family about such a matter could also trivialise the issue, which is obviously highly important in your life.
However, if this is the method that you feel suits you best, then of course do it this way.

When it comes to telling other family members then a phone call or a letter could be the best option and the easiest in some cases.

Clearly this is an individual choice and there is no right or wrong. You must go with the option that you feel is best for you. Remember in many cases the reaction from family is very good, and in all cases, whatever the reaction, you will feel a sense of relief from simply telling them.

What to Say?

When you are telling your family take the time to explain to them that you have made a decision in your life, explain that it is an informed decision that you have made for yourself. You can explain some of your reasons for selecting Islam. If appropriate you can thank them for bringing you up in such a way that you have an interest in religion in the first place. You can address any possible concerns that you think they may have. You can reassure them that you are still the same person, and that you will be trying to lead a life of high morals and manners, a life that you hope will make them proud. You might decide to explain a little about how your life will change from now on.
I would suggest not going overboard with your words. Remember the main objective here is to let them know of your decision and to add some words that will help them to accept your decision and inshaAllah be happy for you. It is not the objective to explain all the Islamic teachings and convert them with your words, this can come with time inshaAllah.

Whichever method you choose to tell your family this has to be an individual choice of words. You will know the best way to approach the subject with your parents. At the very least you are prepared, you have considered what some of their concerns might be, and you have thought of some possible solutions to these concerns. For example, if they are worried that women are treated badly in Islam, then you can explain the reality to them. So as far as you are able, you are ready to deal with any misgivings they might have.

Don't try and 'over prepare'. Don't spend too much time thinking 'what if they say this..', 'what if they say that..'. Don't get too caught up in this beforehand, you will find that once you start talking to them your words will flow naturally with the help of Allah (swt).

Remember, there is nothing wrong in not knowing the answer to a question. If your family ask you a question and you do not know the answer, simply aknowledge the question and let them know that you are not totally sure and that you would like to find out for certain and then get back to them. This could actually be an ideal opportunity to enable you to bring up the topic of religion at a future date.

How to act during the discussion with your family.

As a muslim you will of course be trying to conduct yourself in accordance with Islam. You will be aware of the manners that a muslim must try to show etc, you will be aware of the qualities of patience and understanding. Most importantly you will be aware of the rights of your parents and the way in which you should treat them.

Remember that you should not raise your voice to your parents. Just show them love and kindness throughout the discussion. If there are times when a debate starts, as is often the case when discussing religion, remember to speak calmly and softly, and remember to keep smiling :)

Despite your sincerity, you may still feel a little nervous at the start. Your nerves may give an incorrect impression to your family, so try to remain calm and composed, and inshaAllah the strength of your faith will see you through your tough times.

Giving your family books

You may want to have a couple of books to hand so that if appropriate you can offer them to your family at the end of your discussion. InshaAllah they will be interested to increase their understanding of the path you have chosen.
Obviously, if you fear that they will disrespect the books, then ensure that you do not give them any that contain the Quran.

Source: at www.convertstoislam.com

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
UmmSqueakster
12-14-2008, 09:28 PM
Assalamu Alaikum,

First off, how old are you? If you're a minor, I'd advise keeping your religious choices under wraps. Can you imagine if a muslim teenager converted to christianity and then tried to convert his parents? Things would not go well.

If you're above 18, I'd say start looking to strike out on your own. Once you're comfortably established, then tell them.

I converted at 20, while I was still in college. My parents were not happy with my exploration of Islam. I hid it from them, but they snooped and found out. They were not happy. I avoided talking with them about it until after I had graduated and could support myself. This gave me time to learn more about the religion, strengthen my faith and be able to withstand their negativity and positively combat their negative stereotypes.

glo
12-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Greetings, Al Qalam

I am not a Muslim, but my advice to you would be to be open and honest with your family and tell them that you are a Muslim.
I know this may be scary, and probably with good reason - but be brave and do it anyway!

Be gentle.
Don't enter into heated debates - just assert your right to make your own choice.
Don't rush - take it one step at a time.
Above all, be patient!

I became a Christian almost six years ago.
For fear of the reaction of my non-believing husband I kept much secret from him.
Whilst it made me feel safer for a while, what it actually did was create a rift between the two of us!
I believe that it is only by the grace of God that it didn't break our marriage apart ...

Over the years I realised (and on several occasions was told by Christian friends with greater maturity and wisdom than mine) that deceiving my husband and keeping secrets from him was not the right way!

The more honest I am with him, the more I share with him about my faith (and I still find that scary at times, even now!), the more at peace we both feel.
He still doesn't agree with me, and he is miles away from sharing my faith - but we are learning to talk and listen to each other with regards to our beliefs and worldviews. And that is an immense blessing to both of us!

I hope all goes well for you.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Peace :)

- Qatada -
12-15-2008, 07:51 PM
If you fear, hide your books in your school/college backpack - which they probably won't check.

Keep your faith hidden from them, many companions of the Prophets did.

read how this companion had to go through after he accepted islam;
http://www.islamicboard.com/companio...i-waqqaas.html

Hamayun
12-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Wish I could help you in any way Brother but for now my only advice is to take it slowly.

If telling your family will cause problems then no need to tell them yet. Take one step at a time. Allah says if you walk towards him then he will run towards you.

He will make it easy for you Insha'Allah.

MuslimCONVERT
12-24-2008, 10:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali_Cena
Salaam Brother,
i suggest you show them some of Ahmed Deedat and Zakir Naik, on debates with Islam-Christianity, and show them the "Islam and the Media" by Zakir Naik. That will ease them up i think. anways hope it works out for ya
Peace
Sorry dear brother, but I feel that this is terrible advice... Zakir Naik MAYBE... but Ahmed Deedat will leave any Christian feeling as if they got punched in the face... It will offend them terribly. Ahmed Deedat is a good reference for Muslims, and maybe people who are giving serious consideration to become a Muslim, and maybe even some individual Christians who have very thick skin, but it's not a good idea for 99% of Christians, and from the description of the parents in the above post, it sounds like they are among the 99% that would get offended.

Just my two cents.

Salaam

~MC

Mediteran
12-25-2008, 08:38 PM

my friend i have the same problem... i can support myself yes but i dont want to alienate my family. i dont know what to do. i must convert to islam, but on the other hand i dont want to have to hide it. my family and friends reactions would not be good at all. it is a tough situation

Al Qalam
01-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Thank you all so much. Your posts have been most helpful. For me, there is no alternative to Islam, no shade better than the Quran, and no God but Allah.

glo
01-09-2009, 09:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mediteran
my friend i have the same problem... i can support myself yes but i dont want to alienate my family. i dont know what to do. i must convert to islam, but on the other hand i dont want to have to hide it. my family and friends reactions would not be good at all. it is a tough situation
By the end of the day you can only follow your heart and your conscience, and do what you believe is best.

Your family should know that. Try to make them understand that you 'living a lie' and 'pretending to be somebody you are not' will ultimately only separate you from your family ...
Yes, your conversion may cause great disagreements, arguments and even rifts ... but that would still be better than living alongside each other, not really knowing each other! (At least I think so)

Whatever life choices my children make as they grow up, and however much I may disagree with them, I'd rather they told me and were honest instead of lying and deceiving me.

Salaam

Umar001
01-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem,

As-Salaamu 'Alaykum Wa Rahmatullah.

I can only really advise you to have Muslim friends around, and if you do not have any then by e-mail. It is so important to keep around good people as much as you can Brother.

If you are brave enough then call a family meeting and tell them your choice, it will liberate you and gives them time to get over it. It will help, generally, in the long run.

Br.al-Habeshi

Dawud_uk
01-16-2009, 05:15 PM
assalaamu alaykum,

get a back up place to stop just in case you get kicked out and then then in the best possible way let them know.

it might be difficult but if you dont tell them how can you try to talk to them about islam, after all if you love them you dont want them to go hellfire.

assalaamu alaykum,

seeker-of-light
01-17-2009, 04:10 PM
wow that sounds very similiar to what i had to deal with
my family are hard-core catholics
so when i wanted to convert to islam, they became very hostile against it
i had to prove to them that islam was not the lies they had heard, but rather a beautiful, wonderful religion given to us by allah.
they still wont let me go to the mosque, but they allow me to read the quran and to practice my faith, they also have become less hostile towards me and more welcoming
my extended family are still very cold towards me however...but inshallah, their hearts will be opened as well in time
just make duaa about it and ask allah what he wants for you to do=)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.