PDA

View Full Version : Finding my way through university

Re.TiReD
12-05-2008, 05:16 PM
:salamext:

For all the freshers or all those who will be going in future insha'Allah

Finding My Way Through University

by Marwah El-Azhary

I always knew that I wanted to be a writer. It's strange, but I accidentally discovered this.

I was around eight years old, and the class was interrupted by older students, making a survey
about what younger students would like to be in the future. They started listing professions such
as "Doctor", "Nurse"; everyone raised their hands for that; some raised their hands up for
"Teacher". And there I was, just not feeling any connection to the list they were giving out. I
was scared, because everyone knew what they wanted to be, and I didn't have any clue what it was I
wanted to be. So way at the end, the older students asked the people who hadn't raised their hands
what they'd like to be. When they came to me, out of nowhere, without thinking, I said "A writer".

And that's why I was standing in front of my new university, ready to start my English literature
degree.

I was nervous starting high school all those years ago, and I was nervous starting university as
well. Changes always seem to make me nervous; especially since I was a young Muslim girl living in
the United Kingdom, and I wasn't yet sure of my identity and where I could fit in, and more
importantly, who I could fit in with.

So there I was; I had made it to university, where I was determined to achieve my dream to become
a writer, all the way.

I've actually left out an important detail, a detail that has helped me become who I am today. I
wasn't veiled. I was a ‘normal’, respectable teenage girl who wanted to appear as a beauty icon in
society. I only realize now that I was just conforming to society's manipulation to get women to
sell their souls to fashion and beauty products. I have to admit: University is where I discovered
my identity; my soul. Before that, I was drifting into the woods, admiring the tempting flowers
that steer us all from the straight and unwinding path. But this self-discovery did not happen
until a few months into
my first university year. Until that happened, I was just a worldly girl, determined to ace my
essays so that I could be one step closer to my dream.
And that's when it happened. By chance I had found the Islamic prayer room, which was carefully
tucked away from the campus. I was actually surprised I had finally found it. That's where things
started to change for me. That's when I was one step closer to
discovering my identity.

You see, when I was in university, I could not really pinpoint where I belonged. It was clear I
didn't belong with the English, blonde and blue eyed white girls in my course, because they just
saw me as a non-white individual. It was clear I wasn't with the non-Muslim Asian girls either,
because they just looked at me as a Muslim, and back then September the 11th had just happened; so
I wasn't exactly welcomed when they discovered that I shared the same religion as Osama Bin Laden.
And the Muslim girls that wore the veil didn't recognise me as a Muslim since I wasn't veiled. So
clearly, I was confused.

This was the beginning of my path to self-discovery. I looked deep into my soul and asked myself
where I wanted to belong, and I found the answer staring right back at me; I wanted to be with the
Muslims. Not just because they were my own people, but because they symbolized a
beautiful religion; no matter what the media was saying.

A few months down the line, my old friends from high school didn't really recognise me. I still
hadn't veiled, but it was evident from the conversations we had that I was closer to my religion.

And then it finally happened. It's really bizarre and till this day I still can't get my head
around it, but I was sitting on the train on my way home from university, and I was looking at the
sky, something I had been doing a lot back then; contemplating on the miracles of God.

That's when I started thinking about my dream of becoming a writer. Why did I want to become a
writer? For fame? For the money? Just for worldly desires? Wasn't I looking for something more
rewarding than that? Don't get me wrong, it is rewarding to have your work
recognised and appreciated, but didn't I want to write for the sake of God and His beautiful
religion? Didn't I want to use my gift for the sake of God, in helping others, in serving Islam?
After all, God did bless me with this gift. Why would I be selfish enough to use it only for
worldly aims?

While my thoughts were running out in front of me, like precious droplets forming an ocean of
contemplative thoughts, I looked at the window and saw my reflection. Now, I was a proud Muslim,
but I saw a young girl with no veil and with no form of identity to show that she was a proud
Muslim.

As the
train sped on by, I felt such a strong presence…God's presence…I was overwhelmed, tears already
forming, adding new droplets to that ocean of thoughts.

I stared at my reflection…then I heard something say to me: “This will be the last day you will
show your hair in public…the next time you go out, you will be wearing the veil.”

And it's quite true, because I arrived home and found my mother with a gift in her hand; a veil,
on today, of all days! It's as though God had given me this gift of beautiful purples and blues,
eagerly waiting to be assigned to my head; an approved signature from God that yes, I had
discovered my identity. The tempting flowers would just have to sadly watch me on my way to the
straight, warm, paradisical path called home.

And next year, I was, standing in front of my university again, ready to face another academic
semester; but this time, I was standing as a proud Muslim with my veil. I've never achieved so
many ‘A’ grades in my life as I did in that semester, and I've never made so many friends as I did
then; like God was helping me work hard to achieve the best grades and meet the best Muslims,
because I had finally recognised that I should be serving my dream for Islam and the Muslims.

Yes, my veil completes my identity, university helped me get here, and my dream of writing
continues.

:salamext:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Na7lah
12-05-2008, 06:00 PM
mashallah that was an amaaaaaazing read mashallah!! :ooh:

Olive
12-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Masha'Allah... amazing read...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.