/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Head cover for men

Tony
12-07-2008, 12:05 AM
:><:Salaam, would someone mind explaining to me why some brothers appear to be wearing black or white caps at times, is it particular to an type of Muslim and does it make a difference to prayer. Peace

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
12-07-2008, 12:32 AM
I think it is traditional wear like some Indians wear saris
I wouldn't worry too much about clothes so long as they fulfill their proper purpose.. I think as an Umma we face bigger challenges than who is wearing what.. it is a surface matter of no significance in my humble opinion..

and Allah swt knows best...

:w:

Tony
12-07-2008, 12:41 AM
ok, thanks for that. peace

Olive
12-07-2008, 02:24 PM
It's a sign of identity, in my opinion.

You see a person wearing a hat, covering his hair - you know that this person's a Muslim. (Not for definite, however.) :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
UmmSqueakster
12-09-2008, 04:56 PM
The Prophet Muhammad (saws) often used to cover his head. Since we strive to emulate the Prophet (saws) in every aspect of our lives, many people consider it something recommended for men to cover their heads.

There's a balance in our lives. We should be attentive to small details AND the bigger picture. It becomes a problem when people obsess over one thing (like what we wear) and ignore other problems, like poverty. If we give attention to both, then we're following the middle path.

militant g-hard
12-10-2008, 08:32 PM
hi tktony

im from bradford as well, from allerton area.
i heard you do taekwondo, i used to do it as well with two brothers called zam and waheed do you do it with them

Tony
12-12-2008, 08:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by militant g-hard
hi tktony

im from bradford as well, from allerton area.
i heard you do taekwondo, i used to do it as well with two brothers called zam and waheed do you do it with them
No, do they go kenny waltons class. I went to Chris Beanlands in saltaire and keighley. Stopped due to persistant injury. Do you know a brother called Zeeshan, he used to train at kennys. sorry it took a while to reply, been away from laptop.

militant g-hard
12-12-2008, 08:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by TKTony
No, do they go kenny waltons class. I went to Chris Beanlands in saltaire and keighley. Stopped due to persistant injury. Do you know a brother called Zeeshan, he used to train at kennys. sorry it took a while to reply, been away from laptop.
i tried to message u privatley but i cant because i do not have more than 50 posts.

any ways where abouts are u from?

i went to kenny waltons for about 2 lessons back about year 2000. i dont know zeeshan

Tony
06-09-2009, 01:29 PM
I have prayer cap now, I will wear it to moque on fridays. Can someone tell me shoul I only wear it praying, all day friday or even all time. I will wudu at home and want to wear it so people know i am going to pray. I am thinking maybe people can see I am muslim too. please advize me on this brothers

crayon
06-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Question. So it is sunnah for men to cover their head. Does it matter what they cover it with? Like, could wearing a baseball cap be considered sunnah, if the intention behind it is to cover the head?

Tony
06-09-2009, 01:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
Question. So it is sunnah for men to cover their head. Does it matter what they cover it with? Like, could wearing a baseball cap be considered sunnah, if the intention behind it is to cover the head?
dunno! but for me the fact it is\a prayer cap and people know this seems important:D

Tony
06-09-2009, 04:37 PM
:bump1:

rpwelton
06-09-2009, 05:00 PM
No, it is not sunnah to cover the head while praying in the sense that one does not get any more rewards for doing so. However, it is a cultural must in many countries, so if you are in a country (like India or Pakistan) where it is a custom to cover the head, then do so.

Zafran
06-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Salaam

why do so many scholars wear turbans or cover there head then?

rpwelton
06-09-2009, 05:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
Salaam

why do so many scholars wear turbans or cover there head then?
Not sure...perhaps its a personal choice and they just feel more comfortable wearing one when giving lectures, khutbahs, etc.

In similar regard, I often feel more comfortable being in a thobe while in the masjid or at an Islamic event, even though wearing a thobe brings no extra rewards over not wearing one (as long as the alternative form of dress is still modest by Islamic standards).

Zafran
06-09-2009, 05:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rpwelton
Not sure...perhaps its a personal choice and they just feel more comfortable wearing one when giving lectures, khutbahs, etc.

In similar regard, I often feel more comfortable being in a thobe while in the masjid or at an Islamic event, even though wearing a thobe brings no extra rewards over not wearing one (as long as the alternative form of dress is still modest by Islamic standards).
salaam

everyone whos in the Islamic tradition wears it - Imams, scholars, teachers - you name it - can someone actually find an Islamic fatwa on this?

glo
06-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Tony, the Muslims in my home town are almost exclusively from Pakistan, and I often see them wear crocheted prayer caps (I love knitting or crocheting anything, but particularly hats ... so when I see somebody wear a hat I start mentally making my own design ... :D)

They usually seem to wear them on Fridays, certainly on their way to and from masjid, but at other times too.

There is one white revert (the only revert in town! :)), and he seems to have taken to wearing a cap on Fridays too.

I am sure wearing the same as other Muslims - even if it isn't obligatory - will help you feel more at home in their midst, and may help them to accept you as one of their own too.

rpwelton
06-09-2009, 05:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
salaam

everyone whos in the Islamic tradition wears it - Imams, scholars, teachers - you name it - can someone actually find an Islamic fatwa on this?
I'll look for the reference when I get home tonight.

No doubt it is probably better to wear one than not wear one, if only because it distinguishes one's identity as a Muslim.

UmmSqueakster
06-09-2009, 05:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rpwelton
They wear them because it is a sunnah and a highly recommended act in all 4 madhabs.

http://www.central-mosque.com/fiqh/topi.htm

Tony
06-09-2009, 05:51 PM
its confusing me, Im not obsessing over clothes but the brother who taught me how to wudu said its better to wear one, others are saying not and there must be a reason why people do. Im not bothered with fitting in with other muslims as I feel genuinley that I am muslim and if people dont accept within ummah then its thier problem, it really doesnt phase me at all. I want people to know I am muslim, I am so happy to have come to Islam, my culture veiws it almost like the religion of the desert and this is such a false veiw, maybe if people can tell I love Allah and Islam they may ask me why etc. If its sunnah I will wear if not and its just cultural then I will not, I just thought there was some religious significanae as so many people wear them:rollseyes

Tony
06-09-2009, 05:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Janaan
They wear them because it is a sunnah and a highly recommended act in all 4 madhabs.

http://www.central-mosque.com/fiqh/topi.htm
Mnay thanks sister this helps a great deal, Im still not sure if its saying just when praying or generally. :D

Tony
06-09-2009, 08:11 PM
:bump1: is it just for praying or all day fri

AabiruSabeel
06-09-2009, 08:21 PM
:sl:

Topi/head cover for Muslims is one of the Sha'air Al-Islam (salient symbols of Islam) as mentioned by Mullah Ali Qari Rahimahullah. So it is better to wear it all the time. I am sure there are references for wearing it while going to toilet, eating, drinking etc.

The article linked above has four references among which only one speaks of wearing head cover and turban during prayer. Remaining three are general instances, so it is better to wear it all the time.

Something regarding Sunnah here:
Media Tags are no longer supported

Beardo
06-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Basically, one should attempt to dress like the Sulaha (righteous). I can't picture the pious people wearing a cap backwards on their head during Salaah. lol :rollseyes

So the true head cover is preferred. However, I would say a cap does suffice.

rpwelton
06-09-2009, 11:40 PM
I took a class taught by Sh. Yasir Qadhi on the issue of clothing and this topic was covered. The ruling is that the head covering at the time of the Prophet (peace be upon him) was a cultural thing, not a religious one. Both the Muslims and non-Muslims wore turbans (just as both pagans and Muslims wore thobes and rode camels).

"Al Shatibi said, 'Customs change matters from something praiseworthy to something blameworthy, and vice versa. For example, uncovering the head, for this is an issue that varies from place to place. In eastern lands, it is something frowned upon for people of stature (muru'a), while in western lands it is not. Therefor the Islamic ruling on it changes from place to place, and in eastern lands it would be taken into account for considering someone not worthy, while this would not be the case in western lands." (al-Muwafaqat, 2/284).

So here we see that it is deemed praiseworthy in cultures that view it as such (ie, the eastern cultures).

One cannot say: 'you must wear a cap during prayer' or it is more rewarding to do so when in a western land, as this is not typical western culture. However, if you are in the Middle East or Asia, it is blameworthy for you not to wear one, because a cap is viewed as something that one should wear. That being said, usually people feel more comfortable wearing one when at an Islamic gathering, just as they feel more comfortable wearing thobes.

Thus, we have to be careful when we just pick and choose fataawa from random internet sites, as these types of matters are more difficult and the knowledge should be taken directly from one who is knowledgeable in these manners.

And Allah knows best.

Muhammad
06-10-2009, 12:10 AM

An important issue here is intention. I once heard that although such acts may not be Sunnah, some scholars consider performing them out of love for the Prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wasallam) to be rewardable. Moreover, the same person mentioned there are many factors influencing whether certain rulings apply. For example, we need to consider the pressure on Muslims in places like Britain, and it might be a sign of their defeat if they removed their niqab/thawb etc. Allaah (swt) knows best.

Regarding prayer, we should be in our best appearance for it. The Prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wasallam) said, "Allaah is more worthy that one beautifies oneself for." (At-Tabarani and Al-Bayhaqi).Hence wearing a head cover can be considered as beautifying oneself, to the extent that some scholars even say it is a detestable act to uncover the head while praying for no valid reason (refer to the book regarding mistakes in prayer by Sh. Mashhur Hasan Al-Salman, also see 3rd link below).

It appears that there are different views to take into account and the discussion may be deeper than we think. The above is simply what I've come across but in no way do I have a firm answer. Allaah (swt) knows best.

EDIT: Some links:

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/22758
http://www.islamtoday.com/show_detai...&main_cat_id=4
http://www.allaahuakbar.net/importan...bearheaded.htm
http://forums.almaghrib.org/showthread.php?t=31487

AabiruSabeel
06-10-2009, 05:30 AM

Personally speaking, I feel it little awkward to see anyone with a beard but no cap. It looks like there is something missing. A cap also beautifies one's outlook.

It is a part of Muslim's identity. The way a minar says this building is a Masjid, a cap says this person is a Muslim.
I remember reading a story somewhere about a group of Muslims visiting a foreign country, and the time of Jumu'ah prayer was approaching but they were unable to find any Masjid nearby. They did not know any local Muslims, so they took a car or taxi and started looking for Masjid in every lane and street. They were quite worried as the time was running short. Suddenly they saw a man wearing a topi (cap) riding a cycle. They took the car near him, said Assalamu Alaikum, and he showed them the way. He too was going towards Masjid.
They said, they would have missed their Jumuah that day if that man would have been bare headed. How on earth could they have known this is a Muslim?

There are many benefits of wearing a cap. People would say Assalamu Alaikum to you, which in itself is a good deed (10 good deeds). Someone would be in need, like wanting to know the direction of the qiblah, but they can't ask any non-Muslim, so they will be looking for any sign of a Muslim. In public places, when it is the time for prayer, when a lesser practising Muslim sees a person with a cap, going to make wudhu, preparing for prayer, then he too would feel like I should do the same. Otherwise, he will think how can I pray here, I am alone etc etc.
This is something that I have experienced myself. Whenever a Muslim prepares for prayer in a public place, and lays the prayer mat, a lot of Muslims turn up from nowhere saying I am also praying with you. 5 mins ago you wouldn't find a single Muslim there, but as soon as you start, they come out and join you. They were there all the time, but were shy to display their identity, or to start for prayer themselves.

In short, a topi always helps. Gives a feeling of belonging to Muslims, and helps supporting each other.

Tony
06-10-2009, 06:22 AM
Thankyou brothers may Allah reward you for your advice and guidance. I have decided to wear cap fridays then maybe all time after a while if it proves beneficial to Islam for me to do so. Peace

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.