/* */

PDA

View Full Version : If you kind of 'envy' born Muslims...

- Qatada -
12-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Asalaam alaikum (peace be upon you) :)

I think that many new reverts feel sad and may even envy some born muslims because when you become Muslim, its likely that your family is going to turn against you.

It's well known throughout history, and two well known examples of this are Sa'ad ibn Abi Waqas and Mus'ab ibn Umair:

http://www.islamicboard.com/companio...i-waqqaas.html
http://www.islamtomorrow.com/article...mair_envoy.htm

But that wasn't the aim of what i wanted to say..

Many born muslims revert back to Islam after they've experienced the 'hard life' - they might turn to Islam whole heartedly when they ponder over it deeply and feel that they need a better change. The majority - especially in todays time - learn Islam by themselves when they feel they need help from Allah, and don't really learn it from their parents.

The problem that some born Muslims face is similar to many reverts aswell, and their parents become scared that their child is becoming either 'too extreme', or is straying away from a deviated sect that muslim family might be following.

So in reality, even born muslims go through similar. Their parents can be on either side of the scale, i.e. too secular or too stuck up in the teachings of a deviated sect which promotes acts which are totally contradictory to true Islamic teachings (probably because they too were brought up following these false teachings.)

So don't worry too much, those who follow the true guidance, they are usually the minority throughout history - even amongst us born Muslims! And this shouldn't put us off, rather we should be thankful to Allah that He has guided us.

Here's an interesting link by the way;

The Strangers

http://www.islamicboard.com/miscella...strangers.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Khalil_Allah
12-09-2008, 06:02 AM
lol no one told me that today was eid. I was so busy with finals that I found out this evening when an old friend from way back called me to say eid mubarak. I was like DOH! I told my mum, hey, mum, its muslim holiday and I got to spend it with you! :) She's like "is it hanukah?" not really, but she asks me about going to temple haha.

Oh yeah, sometimes I used to envy Muslim families (in the good kind of way) because I deal with stuff like missing eid and not understanding what it is like to pray and fast and celebrate with family. It's all this strange "muslim thing" to my family.

InshaAllah there is some sister from a Muslim family that I'll marry someday, and she will help me along and I won't miss out like i have since I reverted.

syilla
12-10-2008, 04:30 AM
is there any thread like "if you kind envy the reverts".

because they are actually like a new born baby... ermm...

north_malaysian
12-10-2008, 05:06 AM
both of my parents are born-again Muslims... so do most of my uncles and aunts.... before 1980, only my late grandmother was a practising Muslim...

the reverts should not envy of the born muslims as not all born muslims are practising Muslims, and some of them were objected by their parents or siblings when they want to practise their religious belief seriously...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
north_malaysian
12-10-2008, 05:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khalil_Allah
lol no one told me that today was eid. I was so busy with finals that I found out this evening when an old friend from way back called me to say eid mubarak. I was like DOH! I told my mum, hey, mum, its muslim holiday and I got to spend it with you! :) She's like "is it hanukah?" not really, but she asks me about going to temple haha.

Oh yeah, sometimes I used to envy Muslim families (in the good kind of way) because I deal with stuff like missing eid and not understanding what it is like to pray and fast and celebrate with family. It's all this strange "muslim thing" to my family.

InshaAllah there is some sister from a Muslim family that I'll marry someday, and she will help me along and I won't miss out like i have since I reverted.
you missed Eid? LOL...

your mum didnt know you reverted? you're a Muslim Jew? cool...

Khalil_Allah
12-10-2008, 05:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
you missed Eid? LOL...

your mum didnt know you reverted? you're a Muslim Jew? cool...
Haha brother, I did miss Eid. :( I hope there is no punishment for this, but it wasn't intentional anyhow.

And no, I am no Muslim Jew, but my mother is not too keen on knowing the terms and practices of "diverse" religions. She has known that I am a Muslim, and I tell her when I am going to the mosque, but I think that to her, churches are for Christians and the rest are temples. :) oh well, inshAllah she will revert some day.

north_malaysian
12-10-2008, 05:19 AM
Haha brother, I did miss Eid. :( I hope there is no punishment for this, but it wasn't intentional anyhow.
...well... you're prohibited to fast on Eid...

And no, I am no Muslim Jew, but my mother is not too keen on knowing the terms and practices of "diverse" religions. She has known that I am a Muslim, and I tell her when I am going to the mosque, but I think that to her, churches are for Christians and the rest are temples. :) oh well, inshAllah she will revert some day.
Amin to the prayer......

Khalil_Allah
12-10-2008, 05:27 AM
w00t! I didn't fast!

syilla
12-10-2008, 05:29 AM
w00t! I didn't fast!
yup one day during eiduladha...
and two days during Shawal Eid.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.