/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question about masjid, advice please.

MatthewDeC
12-12-2008, 05:54 PM
So here is the scenario: I have been studying Islam independently for awhile now, I'm 20 years old, and though I have not take shadah, I identify with being Muslim. I recently moved to CA, and there is a great masjid right where I live, I am thinking about going there for Friday prayer. However, I have never been in a masjid before, I am curious as to whether it is acceptable to just show up and if so, what the courtesies are for entering a masjid. thank you.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
islamirama
12-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Since you have not taken the shahada, you are not a Muslim. You have to make that Testimony of faith. As for going to the masjid, you are welcome to go as the doors are always open to everyone. You shouldn't participate in the prayers though, after taking the shahada one takes a bath to purify themselves. Just go to the office and introduce your self and your interests and reason for being there. The rest will follow...

crayon
12-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Yup, it's cool to just go there, no need to ask permission or anything of the sort. Courtesies? Hmmmm
-be dressed decently (which, you being a man, shouldn't be too much of a problem anyway, unless you're given to walking around town in speedos)
-taking your shoes off before entering the mosque, usually they'll have a place to put your shoes..
-saying salam to people you see there, just being courteous and polite in general, i guess.

That's pretty much it, really. I guess just showing the same amount of manners and respect you would if you visited any other place of worship. Good luck.:)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.