/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Woman died from 'too much water'

highway_trekker
12-13-2008, 05:26 PM
A mother died after drinking four litres of water in under two hours, an inquest has heard

Jacqueline Henson, 40, from Huddersfield, wanted to slim down from 14st (89kg) when she started the meal replacement diet plan LighterLife.

Huddersfield Coroner's Court was told she died from brain swelling.

A verdict of accidental death was recorded and the coroner said LighterLife had given clear guidance on how much water should be consumed.

The LighterLife diet plan is aimed at people who are three or more stones overweight and involves consuming 500 calories a day for 12 weeks by replacing meals with shakes, soups and bars, as well as drinking water.

Mrs Henson's husband Brian told BBC News that she was delighted when she lost 11.5lbs (5.2kg) during the first week of her diet.

He said: "It had been going brilliant, she loved it because she was losing weight. She was over the moon."

The inquest heard how on 14 November last year Mrs Henson began drinking two two-litre bottles of water out of a pint glass while watching television at her home in Almondbury.

She complained that her stomach was "solid" and was later sick.

Mrs Henson said she had a headache and went upstairs to the toilet where she collapsed. She died in hospital the next day.

West Yorkshire Coroner Roger Whittaker said no-one should drink water in the quantities involved over such a short period.

A spokesman for LighterLife said: "We are so sorry to hear about Jacqueline and extend our sympathies to her family.

"Our programme gives clear guidance that water should be consumed regularly over the course of the day, and the coroner confirmed that the events were a tragic accident."

Mr Henson said he now wanted to warn others of the danger of drinking too much water.

He said: "I had no idea that much water could kill someone. If I'd have known that I would not have let her drink it."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/7779079.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crayon
12-13-2008, 06:11 PM
:skeleton:
I drink a lot of water.
By a lot I mean A LOT.
This is worrying.:blind:

Ansariyah
12-13-2008, 06:16 PM
There was also this other woman who died from drinking too much water..I think she was in a competition "who can drink the most water"..she died too. She was in the news awhile back....

Whatsthepoint
12-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Weird.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Faith.
12-13-2008, 06:20 PM
Wow weird...

mohsen1985
12-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Whaaaaaaaat?:eek: How could she fit 4 liters of water in her stomach?:eek:

Faith.
12-13-2008, 06:49 PM
Id feel sick after 1 litre

islamirama
12-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Drinking too much liquids of any sort does lead to death. I've drunk a whole jug of water in a competition with this little indian girl at her college's ramadan dinner. It's lucky nothing happend to her considering her size. It's something i wouldn't recommend anyone to do.

mohsen1985
12-13-2008, 07:42 PM
I think it has a lot to do with a person's physique. I can't drink 4 liters of liquid at once, but sometimes I drink half a gallon of milk (2 liters almost), but then I go to the bathroom every 10 minutes. I do drink 20 cups of water at the gym, but I sweat a lot, so my body needs it. That lady must have had some excretory dysfunctions or something.

Tony
12-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Marathon runners die from this sometimes, an effort to not dehydrate results in the bodies salt levels being depleted and cells rupure I think is what happens. But it has to be phenominal amounts of water to do this damage . I really do not think average person who drinks above average water needs to worry. peace

Sabbir_1
12-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Anything taken in excess is dangerous.

Olive
12-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Wow... 4 litres! :O

BlackMamba
12-13-2008, 08:57 PM
4 Liters isnt THAT much to kill you is it? I mean dont get me wrong i know its a lot of water, but to kill someone? The human body is amazingly durable we can last through gunshots even. I was surpirsed to read this.

Sabbir_1
12-14-2008, 12:07 AM
4 liters taken under 2 hours.

A mother died after drinking four litres of water in under two hours

Woodrow
12-14-2008, 12:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by khalil27
Anything taken in excess is dangerous.
True

Anything will be poisonousness if taken to excess. I have even heard of people dieing from too much oxygen.

Water poisoning is actually quite common, but it is rarely mentioned and not even addressed in many first aide manuals.

always-SM
12-15-2008, 07:38 AM
Salam!
I have read about it before.. But I dont understand why people drink so much water, when they know that its not good for them..
Anyways.. I am new here, and I dont know how to use all this, so sorry if I am doing something wrong.. I will learn afterwards.. :)

Bye, Sameenah

BoredAgnostic
12-31-2008, 01:55 PM
I've drank two 1.89L of water in under two hours (Not sure how long it was maybe an hour and a half or so)..nothing happened...except..yeah I had to pee like every 5 minutes and I felt light-headed. :ermm:

highway_trekker
12-31-2008, 05:10 PM
Maybe don't try it again?

Sahabiyaat
12-31-2008, 05:25 PM
thats why Islam recommends moderation in everything!

جوري
12-31-2008, 05:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by always-SM
Salam!
I have read about it before.. But I dont understand why people drink so much water, when they know that its not good for them..
Anyways.. I am new here, and I dont know how to use all this, so sorry if I am doing something wrong.. I will learn afterwards.. :)

Bye, Sameenah
Some people have a disease called psychogenic polydipsia!

:w:

suffiyan007
12-31-2008, 05:38 PM
hello.....drinking lotsa liquid doesnt mean anything..cause our body need lotsa water to stay hydration....water is a essential for our organs and skin. so start drinking water.....futuristic diet plan...is a real fake to getting slim...i dont think that taking lot of slimming products that can slim...so u must take care of your calories intake.. and take some good multivits and minerals..is a way to stay slim and youthful...happy always eat what u like....!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.