/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Thamud

Chuck
12-24-2008, 07:05 PM
The Thamud were a people of ancient Arabia. There oldest known reference is written in victory annals of the Babylonian King, Sargon II (8th Century BC). These people are also mentioned in the writings of Aristo, Ptolemy, and Pliny. Recent archaeological work has revealed numerous Thamudic rock writings and pictures throughout central Arabia. Approximately between 400-600 AD, the Thamud totally disappeared (cause is not known, but suggestions have been put forward).

Pictures of Thumdic houses:

Mention of Thamud in Quran:

Behold, their brother Salih said to them: "Will you not fear (Allah)? I am to you a messenger worthy of all trust. So fear Allah, and obey me.
No reward do I ask of you for it: my reward is only from the Lord of the Worlds.
Will ye be left secure, in (the enjoyment of) all that ye have here?- Gardens and Springs, And corn-fields and date-palms with spathes near breaking (with the weight of fruit)? And ye carve houses out of (rocky) mountains with great skill.
But fear Allah and obey me; And follow not the bidding of those who are extravagant,- "Who make mischief in the land, and mend not (their ways)."
They said: "Thou art only one of those bewitched! "Thou art no more than a mortal like us: then bring us a Sign, if thou tellest the truth!"
He said: "Here is a she-camel: she has a right of watering, and ye have a right of watering, (severally) on a day appointed. "Touch her not with harm, lest the Penalty of a Great Day seize you."
But they ham-strung her: then did they become full of regrets. But the Penalty seized them. Verily in this is a Sign: but most of them do not believe.

(26:142-158)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.