/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Cookery for men

H4RUN
12-26-2008, 11:53 PM
:sl:
:p Cookery for men..yeah right! What's the take away for:p Now that i have your attention....
I just would like to know whether a 5ml spoon will equal 5g of lets say flour? I find it tedious measuring out 5 or 10grams of powders etc with a scale, and was wondering if someone could shed some light on me...

Will the 5ml spoon be enough if i was to say measure out 5grams of something...? Many thanks, JazakaAllah Khair!
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
syilla
12-30-2008, 05:04 AM
MashaAllah...r u learning to cook... or u r already a chef yourself.

May you succeed in whatever u are doing... :P

H4RUN
12-30-2008, 10:06 PM
:D the 1st and only reply! Much obliged oh dear sister:D
I'm not technically learning to cook....till mum's slipper is waved near my face:p
I just needed to know a way to measure out medicine, but the only readings are in grams, i really wouldnt want an over dose... All though it could be fun:D

syilla
12-31-2008, 02:06 AM
well...just use the syringe... :D

or go to this link

conversion

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
H4RUN
01-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Many thanks!
So if im correct, which i usually am not:D
if i want 10g... divide it .9??..my answer equals 10.something....

Which means a 10ml spoon is aaprox same as 10g? Forgive me if it's the obvious, jazakaAllah

Cabdullahi
01-02-2009, 02:54 AM
they say we are incompetent slothful creatures but when we ask guidance on how to cook none of them reply ........why you may ask because most of them havent got a clue themselves but what they enjoy is to participate in ''the males need to learn how to cook''?? banter

Yanal
01-02-2009, 02:58 AM
Asalam Alaykum
Cooking for me is not mandortory but I will learn it , in case something happens.

syilla
01-02-2009, 03:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by H4RUN
Many thanks!
So if im correct, which i usually am not:D
if i want 10g... divide it .9??..my answer equals 10.something....

Which means a 10ml spoon is aaprox same as 10g? Forgive me if it's the obvious, jazakaAllah
i usually assume this 1kg equals to 1liter.

so 1000kg equals to 1000ml

glo
01-02-2009, 01:09 PM
:p Cookery for men..yeah right! What's the take away for:p Now that i have your attention....
I just would like to know whether a 5ml spoon will equal 5g of lets say flour? I find it tedious measuring out 5 or 10grams of powders etc with a scale, and was wondering if someone could shed some light on me...

Will the 5ml spoon be enough if i was to say measure out 5grams of something...? Many thanks, JazakaAllah Khair!
Your post prompted my husband to try a little 'kitchen science' himself ... and he tells me that a level 5ml spoon of sugar weighs (as best as he can tell) 5g.

We are both curious though as to what kind of medicine in powder form you have to measure out?

unknown_JJ
01-02-2009, 02:06 PM
its not medicine@Glo :rolleyes: dodgy ppl

H4RUN
01-02-2009, 08:02 PM

Woooo! This thread has really taken off hasn't it:p Thanks all for participating, and i thought the same as Glo's significant other, that 5ml is about 5g give or take a bit. Before anyone thinks i'm measuring out something i shouldnt be [ well i am from luton eh:p] its just a sports suppliment. I was just worried about taking an over dose or else it would be bad for my kidneys and turn me into a hyper active child:p I thought i was bad enough as it is!..

My friend junior hit the nail on the head, all this talk about men not cooking and should learn etc but no body wants to give some advice, i think the females just wana keep all their secrets to themselves:)....

or plainly just like nagging muahahaha!

Cabdullahi
01-02-2009, 08:11 PM
thanks brother,and thanks to our lovely sisters glo and syila for giving advice to the thread starter and inshallah we will be looking to get some more tips from them regarding cooking in the future

noorseeker
01-02-2009, 08:24 PM
isnt ml for liqiud substances and grams for solids or whatever

glo
01-02-2009, 09:13 PM

My friend junior hit the nail on the head, all this talk about men not cooking and should learn etc but no body wants to give some advice, i think the females just wana keep all their secrets to themselves:)....
I think you might just find that most women have never bothered to think whether 5ml equates 5g or not.
If it's a powder you weigh it, if it's a liquid you use a spoon or measuring jug ... EASY!

Keep asking - we'll make a cook out of you yet! :D

misstique009
01-02-2009, 09:29 PM
personally i think guyz shouldnt know how to cook..unless they have to.
they can get reeeaaally fussy & then think nobodys cooking can match up to theirs.

:smile:
i dont know if this is a fact only that i've seen it happen

Cabdullahi
01-02-2009, 09:31 PM
to be honest i am like that^ and plus im kinda messy but my cooking is not bad,its okayish

Ansariyah
01-02-2009, 09:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by J.U.N.I.O.R
they say we are incompetent slothful creatures but when we ask guidance on how to cook none of them reply ........why you may ask because most of them havent got a clue themselves but what they enjoy is to participate in ''the males need to learn how to cook''?? banter
Wit a post like that..Why wud anyone help u.
Learn how to cook already!

Cabdullahi
01-02-2009, 09:46 PM
thanks,but im quite advanced actually when it comes to particular dishes,and if my cooking was compared to yours then in all probability mine wouldl look a masterpiece, something that resembles rachel ray's cooking lol so.....boo-yah!!

Ansariyah
01-02-2009, 09:51 PM
thanks,but im quite advanced actually when it comes to particular dishes,and if my cooking was compared to yours then in all probability mine wouldl look a masterpiece, something that resembles rachel ray's cooking lol so.....boo-yah!!
Chef-by-a-distance...sorry to break it down 2u..but u will never match up to my cooking...Maybe in ur dreams. Btw heating things up isn't called cooking..! The only master-piece u own is ur ego. Sleep on that. Tssk.

Nájlá
01-02-2009, 09:56 PM
lol.

i think men well some men are good at cooking there just messy. just like my dad haha

H4RUN
01-02-2009, 09:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nightstar
isnt ml for liqiud substances and grams for solids or whatever
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I think you might just find that most women have never bothered to think whether 5ml equates 5g or not.
If it's a powder you weigh it, if it's a liquid you use a spoon or measuring jug ... EASY!

Keep asking - we'll make a cook out of you yet! :D

The liquid is ofcourse measured in a jug and in ml...and the powdery substance [the solid] is measured in grams...but being a lad, i am not fully equiped, as all i have is a scoop and a spoon that both measure in ml but im told to use the same scoop for measuring out the grams...

many thanks all! Thumbs up!

H4RUN
01-02-2009, 09:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Honeybee
lol.

i think men well some men are good at cooking there just messy. just like my dad haha
He's probably a mess infront of you and the family, once he's alone he's the best chef on the erm road:D We men have our methods to keep cooking at bay:playing:

Cabdullahi
01-02-2009, 10:00 PM
ego? what ego,..... at least i know the difference between a butter knife and a normal knife the distinguishing of basic crockery is mountainous to you, its cool tho…at least the effort is there the effort to make inedible ,slapdash, messy and pungent cooking………mmm tasty :)

glo
01-02-2009, 10:02 PM

The liquid is ofcourse measured in a jug and in ml...and the powdery substance [the solid] is measured in grams...but being a lad, i am not fully equiped, as all i have is a scoop and a spoon that both measure in ml but im told to use the same scoop for measuring out the grams...

many thanks all! Thumbs up!
I am glad you solved your problem, H4RUN. Hopefully you will be fully equipped one day.

Hope all goes well on the fitness front.

Peace :)

H4RUN
01-02-2009, 10:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I am glad you solved your problem, H4RUN. Hopefully you will be fully equipped one day.

Hope all goes well on the fitness front.

Peace :)
Why thankyou:D

Ansariyah
01-02-2009, 10:07 PM
ego? what ego,..... at least i know the difference between a butter knife and a normal knife the distinguishing of basic crockery is mountainous to you, its cool tho…at least the effort is there the effort to make inedible ,slapdash, messy and pungent cooking………mmm tasty :)
Does tasty mean..looks tasy..or actually also tastes tasty..thers a diff:hiding:

Cabdullahi
01-02-2009, 10:08 PM
bro harun hows training going ??

H4RUN
01-02-2009, 10:16 PM
bro harun hows training going ??

Alhumdulillah tip top, how about yourself?

Banu_Hashim
01-02-2009, 10:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
Asalam Alaykum
Cooking for me is not mandortory but I will learn it , in case something happens.
Walaikum Asalaam,

Lol, you make it sound like cooking would only be a last resort survival thing.

Cabdullahi
01-02-2009, 10:24 PM
brother,im a nomad i keep moving houses but alhamdulilah this time our family are gonna stay permanently in our new house and so i kinda quit because the gym is too far away, there was once when i dragged myself but lack of money and other things made me to quit for awhile,ive lost a lot.....lotsss of mass after doing nightshifts as well, its like back to square one again:(

H4RUN
01-02-2009, 10:30 PM
brother,im a nomad i keep moving houses but alhamdulilah this time our family are gonna stay permanently in our new house and so i kinda quit because the gym is too far away, there was once when i dragged myself but lack of money and other things made me to quit for awhile,ive lost a lot.....lotsss of mass after doing nightshifts as well, its like back to square one again:(

Not to worry my man, you wont put on much lean mass by not having access to weights, but you can still do it! Be creative, the possibilities are endless, well kind of:p You can target nearly all the main muscles by not even really having any proper gym equipment. If there's a park neearby with that thing for kids to swing across, that can easily be used to work out the lats, triceps, biceps, lower back and abs! Just be creative my bro;)...gpod luck:D

Snowflake
01-03-2009, 12:21 AM
5ml of liquid (used medicine spoon) weighs 4 grams bro.

AabiruSabeel
01-03-2009, 06:35 AM

i usually assume this 1kg equals to 1liter.

so 1000kg equals to 1000ml
Its not always the case. Weight depends on mass and density of the object.

1 liter water equals 1 kg but its not true for other liquids.
For example, 1liter milk is slightly heavier than 1 kg.
And if you weigh 1 liter honey, its much more heavy.

So you can't directly assume 5 gm = 5 ml. Usually powders/flour have lesser density, so this relation can be applied, approximately. As said in previous post, its nearly 4gm...

Argamemnon
01-07-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm a man and slowly becoming a good cook. My goal is to become better than the average houswife.

Zahida
01-07-2009, 08:54 PM
:sl: Bro did you cook the latkes and did you add the cheese. Did it work??:w::smile:
format_quote Originally Posted by Argamemnon
I'm a man and slowly becoming a good cook. My goal is to become better than the average houswife.

Güven
01-07-2009, 09:17 PM
:salamext:

I can cook and Im very creative :uuh:

~Taalibah~
01-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Seeing that brother Harun has his problem sorted (i would have simply used a teaspoon for that 5g:X)
i think that men ought to know how to cook and do it too time permitting. I can do lots of men kinda work so he shuold be able to do womens too.:p

Argamemnon
01-07-2009, 09:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zahida
:sl: Bro did you cook the latkes and did you add the cheese. Did it work??:w::smile:

I was too lazy sister, hopefully tomorrow.. oh and I was joking about becoming better than the average housewife... LOL :)

Ansariyah
01-07-2009, 10:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Argamemnon
lol...guud luck!

IbnAbdulHakim
01-07-2009, 10:18 PM
u kno bro

ives asked me sisters so many times to teach me how to cook n i always get the same reply

"just watch us and learn"

HOW YOU SUPPOSE TO LEARN JUST FROM WATCHING? :uuh:

Ansariyah
01-07-2009, 10:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fighting4Iman
u kno bro

ives asked me sisters so many times to teach me how to cook n i always get the same reply

because cooking has to come from the heart...n the way to the heart is through the eyes.

Recipes are only for the silys..the real pros learn by watching.

Pk_#2
01-07-2009, 10:21 PM
u kno bro

Tell me about it, wth!?

Andddddddd I end up getting burnt even though I don't touch anything, not once but ALL the friggin time I'm in there! And then Mom says, that happens coz Yr never in the kitchen!! Yu just come down when the food is ready,

Well duh. I don't see Yu gettin burnt, :mmokay:

Oops started telling Yu ma life story..;D

Güven
01-07-2009, 10:24 PM
You dont need to watch and learn ......just use your own IMAGINATION :ooh:

Learn from the pro :shade:

IbnAbdulHakim
01-07-2009, 10:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah
because cooking has to come from the heart...n the way to the heart is through the eyes.

Recipes are only for the silys..the real pros learn by watching.
wow..i never saw cooking as something so poetic !

although i disagree lol.

you can watch all your life and not learn it ! what you have to do is DO IT and make mistakes along the way, n learn from em !

i only screwed up one curry before, and after that they never let me try again

IbnAbdulHakim
01-07-2009, 10:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven

do we have a chef amongst us? :ooh:

my dad was the best chef ever, and i have his blood, its just a matter of getting it out of me lol

Ansariyah
01-07-2009, 10:33 PM
wow..i never saw cooking as something so poetic !

although i disagree lol.

you can watch all your life and not learn it ! what you have to do is DO IT and make mistakes along the way, n learn from em !

i only screwed up one curry before, and after that they never let me try again
I wudn't blame them lol....Did u mess up the kitchen too like my brothas?

Ansariyah
01-07-2009, 10:34 PM

Wat do u do...
Roll Kababs?

IbnAbdulHakim
01-07-2009, 10:39 PM
I wudn't blame them lol....Did u mess up the kitchen too like my brothas?
no !

i am a professional screw up see, just the curry nothing else touched!

the whole kitchen was left spotless

Güven
01-07-2009, 10:40 PM
do we have a chef amongst us? :ooh:

my dad was the best chef ever, and i have his blood, its just a matter of getting it out of me lol

LOL not a chef , just someone who is better in cooking than women :D

Wat do u do...
Roll Kababs?
now now dont get Jealous :shade:

I can make things even the top chefs would be suprised.

S_87
01-07-2009, 10:47 PM
u kno bro

well as youre watching and if they are doing something help..like start by chopping vegetables etc. and then move on.. see they put in average of salt pepper and different spices and generally for everyday cooking its not '5g' or so but probably just thrown in..so yes watching can be very useful

Ansariyah
01-07-2009, 10:55 PM
no !

i am a professional screw up see, just the curry nothing else touched!

the whole kitchen was left spotless
I see..
hmm

now now dont get Jealous :shade:

I can make things even the top chefs would be suprised.
Jealous? who me?..give me a break!
Rolling Kababs isn't cooking! lol

Güven
01-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Ok on a serious note , what do you guys think of women who cant cook ?

Pk_#2
01-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Remarkable.

We marry men who CAN cook then go out to work like a pro. :shade:

We title them house-husbands.

Ansariyah
01-07-2009, 11:01 PM
u can teach them how to cook..after all u are the chef.

Güven
01-07-2009, 11:05 PM
u can teach them how to cook..after all u are the chef.
lol :D

Im speaking in general, Is it normal ? or are they just lazy to cook

Ansariyah
01-07-2009, 11:15 PM

Maybe they don't like to cook?
No interest in cooking?
Used to being served?
I don't know to be honest.::><:

Argamemnon
01-08-2009, 02:02 AM
u kno bro

Hehe, I've had the same problem with my mother. I would always get frustrated when she said that. Eventually, I just started cooking things such as eggs, pasta and rice, but now I can cook many things. There is a lot of information on internet. And here is a great forum: Discusscooking.com

Argamemnon
01-08-2009, 02:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pk_#2
We marry men who CAN cook then go out to work like a pro. We title them house-husbands.
If there are any ladies here who prefer to work, and wish to marry a "house husband", I'm here :D

I don't want children though, I can't imagine being a good "mother" :bump1:

Dua_e_Sehar
01-08-2009, 04:55 AM
Cookery for men....:smile:

I am glad ....u guys r interested in cooking or say atleast talking about it...In my family none wanna enter the kitchen....

oh and not all women think that way....I wud choose cooking over Pro-work....anddd I do both..:'(.......:smile:

~Taalibah~
01-09-2009, 09:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pk_#2
Remarkable.

We marry men who CAN cook then go out to work like a pro. :shade:

We title them house-husbands.
;D lol, thats the best yet.
Depend on what reasons they have for not knowing... i think.

Trumble
01-11-2009, 09:47 AM
My top tip for anyone who can't cook, or if neither husband nor wife really has time to, is invest in a good slow-cooker. They are absolutely brilliant and require minimal effort of skill to get great results. The food is very healthy too.

Civilsed
01-11-2009, 10:39 AM

Not really bothered, I do all the cooking and i actually enjoy it. The wife does the dishes:statisfie

Trumble
01-11-2009, 11:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Civilsed

Not really bothered, I do all the cooking and i actually enjoy it. The wife does the dishes:statisfie
Very civilized! I usually end up doing both :laugh:

I have no problem with anybody who can't cook, with one proviso - that they don't think that they can!

Sahabiyaat
01-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Men who cook, are a gem.

serioulsy, it makes the wifes life so much easier, they dont have to do it all the time, just helping now and then would suffice for me and especially when the wifes ill, you dont have to live off take-aways and get food poisioning (because ur stupid loacal chippy uses HARAAM MEAT!....(I know they do....grr).....

So men who can cook, you are in demand! Get cooking!

IbnAbdulHakim
01-11-2009, 03:24 PM
^ thats wat i call pro advertisement to make men learn to cook

seriously pro *claps*

Güven
01-11-2009, 04:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Civilsed

Excellent! :thumbs_up

Fishman
01-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Cookery for men
Get a pot noodle.

جوري
01-19-2009, 11:53 PM

I can't cook.. not laziness :raging:.. I simply detest the scent of food and can't for the life of me understand why folks slave getting all those ingredients and cooking with such detail only to devour it in 15 mins or less and have their clothes and hair reek of onions and what not-- and I can genuinely live on breakfast food, in fact throughout grad school I lived on sandwiches and cereal.. can't screw up a sandwich :D

I toast all the men who can cook out there.. more power to you!
but it isn't a woman's job to cook last I read the manual :mmokay:
it should be a mutual effort, I'd be weary of a woman who is happily cooking for you everyday.. you might just get more than your bargained for in your meal :haha: :skeleton:

~Taalibah~
01-20-2009, 10:50 AM
^lol.

Danah
01-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Maybe they don't like to cook?
No interest in cooking?
Used to being served?
I don't know to be honest.::><:
add one>>> having burning fobia

The funny things about men when they enter the kitchen is that they dont want the woman to help them in any way............as if they wanna prove themselves that they can do it.
lol, When my brother entered the kitchen and I offered my help to him, he didn't want me to touch a thing...always saying "you don't know anything, leave it to the professionals" lol

and we always end up arguing...lol

Orn
01-20-2009, 01:31 PM
my friends doesnt know that I can cook but in reality I AHEM can "cook" :P

IbnAbdulHakim
01-20-2009, 05:39 PM
^ thats right! keep them in the dark i say!

heck i might learn to fly and not tell anybody either

Musaafirah
01-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Seriously Skye, even though you may reek after, it's all worth it for Spaghetti bolognese. Oh yum. I can't get my head around Bangladeshi dishes, but can do Italian. Sort of.
We're lucky in our household that Dad can cook, so if mum's away he makes the meals and they're yummo. My aunt makes her sons know how to cook. She says it's all about the living independently. hmmm.

جوري
01-20-2009, 10:29 PM
there is something indeed to be said of living self-sufficient.. and I can sustain myself on cold cereal just the same :wink:
I am just not in love with food..eating is somehow always associated with some sort of anxiety for me, it becomes more of a chore than something to be enjoyed.. I don't feel that way about breakfast though, I guess it is the only meal one can have in peace and finish it rather quickly at the same time...

Ansariyah
01-20-2009, 10:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SAYA

The funny things about men when they enter the kitchen is that they dont want the woman to help them in any way............as if they wanna prove themselves that they can do it.
lol, When my brother entered the kitchen and I offered my help to him, he didn't want me to touch a thing...always saying "you don't know anything, leave it to the professionals" lol

:haha: ur brotha sounds a lot like my brothas..sometimes they will tell us all..go sit down we will cook today, surprise.
The waiting is the most:exhausted, they stay in there for hours rofl.

Wen it's done, my mom is the most exited one, I usually burst out laughing immediately. I find it entertaining.

Güven
01-20-2009, 10:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SAYA

Your brother is right , " Leave it to the professionals" :shade:

Ar-RaYYan
01-20-2009, 10:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Argon Gossamer
I can't cook.. not laziness :raging:.. I simply detest the scent of food and can't for the life of me understand why folks slave getting all those ingredients and cooking with such detail only to devour it in 15 mins or less and have their clothes and hair reek of onions and what not-- and I can genuinely live on breakfast food, in fact throughout grad school I lived on sandwiches and cereal.. can't screw up a sandwich :D

I toast all the men who can cook out there.. more power to you!
but it isn't a woman's job to cook last I read the manual :mmokay:
it should be a mutual effort, I'd be weary of a woman who is happily cooking for you everyday.. you might just get more than your bargained for in your meal :haha: :skeleton:

skye im the same as you when it comes to cooking!! I REALLY REALLY REALLY hate cooking! its one of the things that i hate most doing . I rather do three hours of washing dishes, cleaning the whole kitchen as well as the toilet than cook something that might take 40mins! honest im serious!

جوري
01-20-2009, 11:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ar-RaYYan
skye im the same as you when it comes to cooking!! I REALLY REALLY REALLY hate cooking! its one of the things that i hate most doing it. I rather do three hours of washing dishes, cleaning the whole kitchen as well as the toilet than cook something that might take 40mins! honest im serious!
:haha: well not to digress from topic, but I love cleaning, especially laundry.. there is nothing quite like fresh laundered linens warm from the dryer smelling positively heavenly.. in fact that is how I usually deal with extremely stressful situations, I wash then dry, until I have washed all, then I start again even with a load I had just washed until someone snaps me out of it or I run out of detergent at some hour where no store is open.. but I have been known to drive to a 24hr mart in my pajamas and a rain coat to purchase cleaning products under extreme stress... :skeleton:

I think I said too much :X

well anyhow I am comfortable with my eccentricities and don't care who thinks what :D

Ansariyah
01-20-2009, 11:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Argon Gossamer
:haha: well not to digress from topic, but I love cleaning, especially laundry.. there is nothing quite like fresh laundered linens warm from the dryer smelling positively heavenly.. in fact that is how I usually deal with extremely stressful situations, I wash then dry, until I have washed all, then I start again even with a load I had just washed until someone snaps me out of it or I run out of detergent at some hour where no store is open.. but I have been known to drive to a 24hr mart in my pajamas and a rain coat to purchase cleaning products under extreme stress... :skeleton:

I think I said too much :X

well anyhow I am comfortable with my eccentricities and don't care who thinks what :D

:laugh::giggling:..wat a sight to imagine.

Cleaning feels so satisfying!*sigh*

IbnAbdulHakim
01-20-2009, 11:12 PM
Cleaning feels so satisfying!*sigh*
Agreed !

Güven
01-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Agreed !
You are cleaning ? tsh tsh tsh thats not what a man should do , A man should fix the furniture orsomething like a carpenter or cut the grass or Make foood but not...cleaning :skeleton:

Ok im joking just....dont kill me :X

IbnAbdulHakim
01-20-2009, 11:28 PM
You are cleaning ? tsh tsh tsh thats not what a man should do , A man should fix the furniture orsomething like a carpenter or cut the grass or Make foood but not...cleaning :skeleton:

Ok im joking just....dont kill me :X

fixing furniture n stuff is rare occasions tho lol :p

Güven
01-20-2009, 11:32 PM
Still its something ONLY we MEN can do :shade: lol

Danah
01-21-2009, 09:59 AM
:haha: ur brotha sounds a lot like my brothas..sometimes they will tell us all..go sit down we will cook today, surprise.
The waiting is the most:exhausted, they stay in there for hours rofl.

Wen it's done, my mom is the most exited one, I usually burst out laughing immediately. I find it entertaining.
lol....and If I was with him in the kitchen and he messed something....he blamed me that I did not let him concentrated LOL

poor men, they want to prove themselves any way they can :X

Your brother is right , " Leave it to the professionals" :shade:
Oh give me a break, he has no chance with me...
well, tell me what you can cook Mr Professional, you sound very confident in yourself

Musaafirah
01-21-2009, 11:29 AM
I'll have you know I can fix furniture quite capably.
Can you cook?

IbnAbdulHakim
01-21-2009, 12:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafir
Can you cook?
uhoo

a smack in the face hasnt been dealt in such a harsh manner in quite some time.

back on topic though

most men do learn to cook before dying.

its something im so certain of

i think only girls learn at an earlier age.

YusufNoor
01-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Can you cook?

dang a cooking thread....

YES I CAN COOK! :D

my wife is from Somalia, so she can cook like 6 things, ie: rice, goat, noodles,etc.

i didn't tell my wife before we got married that i was a professional chef [in the kufar world - so don't ask about scallops and bacon], at the beginning of our 1st Ramadhan together i decided to clue her to the fact that you don't have to cook food for hours [and hours]. so after the 2nd night, i cooked for the rest of the month, which was simple once i figured out you could replace wines with grapejuice! my wife absolutely loved the Creamy Chicken Alfredo!

we got carried away with good food that month and we toned it down seriously on our 2nd Ramadhan. she was at her sisters for Ifthar one night and felt bad when she got home, asking "do i cook for you?" i was chuckling and told her to try the chicken in the oven,Rosemary Chicken, best chicken she's ever had!

after finding a Halal store that actually sells beef, she really likes T-Bone steaks and her current favorite treat is a Philly Cheesesteak on Tortilla!

but, i don't like to do the dishes! i will if i have to though...

but only if i have to!

جوري
01-21-2009, 05:48 PM
a lucky sister she is ha.. I love secret identities especially if it is 'former chef' license to cook!

~Taalibah~
01-21-2009, 08:09 PM
What? Fixing furniture? I'll take you on any time to see who can do it better!:D

Argamemnon
01-22-2009, 12:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
My top tip for anyone who can't cook, or if neither husband nor wife really has time to, is invest in a good slow-cooker. They are absolutely brilliant and require minimal effort of skill to get great results. The food is very healthy too.
I will read about how they work, thanks...

glo
01-23-2009, 08:30 AM
This thread is making me smile. Perhaps I should start a poll on how many men around can cook and do cook ...

It is different for us in my family.

I am the main bread winner (through circumstance, not choice), and my husband is mostly at home.
Apart from doing the usual cleaning and shopping (and the odd digging up of the broken water pipe in the garden!), he does the cooking, at least on the days when I am working.

Recently he has taken to buying herbs, spices and meat in the local halal food shop, and he has had some fun conversations with the butcher there. :)

The first day he confused the butcher, because my husband didn't want the chicken cut into pieces. He wanted it whole for roasting. Obviously that wasn't a practice the butcher had ever come across!

The following times my husband did ask for the chicken to be cut up for casseroles and curries.
He has had chats about making biryani and other dishes.

It makes me smile, because - not wishing to be stereotypical - the Pakistani community in my town does seem very traditional in its views on gender roles. The men work, the women are at home with te children.
So I wonder what the Muslim guys in the shop make of this white guy, who comes in to shop and discuss recipes! :D

Oh, and by the way, my hubby's biryani was delicious!! :statisfie

Peace

Far7an
01-23-2009, 08:50 AM
What would qualify as cooking? If frying some cod and chips and making mash potatoe is cooking, then I can cook :).
It makes me smile, because - not wishing to be stereotypical - the Pakistani community in my town does seem very traditional in its views on gender roles. The men work, the women are at home with te children.
So I wonder what the Muslim guys in the shop make of this white guy, who comes in to shop and discuss recipes!
That just got me thinking... you know the best chefs in our town are all male :O. Maybe they get their wives to cook it and pass it off as their own? :P.

glo
01-23-2009, 11:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an
That just got me thinking... you know the best chefs in our town are all male :O. Maybe they get their wives to cook it and pass it off as their own? :P.
True, being a chef seems to be a male dominated profession. I wonder why that is?

aamirsaab
01-23-2009, 11:05 AM
I'd love to be able to cook. I'm pretty good with a mircowave (I can nuke anything). Fryin pan isn't too much of a problem and I can always turn the cooker hobs on without setting myself alight. I haven't had much experience in actually cooking food though...proper food that is. Like what they have on masterchef and big cook, little cook.

Any tips or starting points. And don't say chappatis - everyone can make chappatis. All you need is some Champion atta, a rolling pin and your fist.

Musaafirah
01-23-2009, 11:37 AM
As a starting point, try something basic like Spaghetti bolognese. Trust me, it always goes down a treat! You can even use Ragu sauce if you don't want to make your own.
Curries are a bit harder though.

aamirsaab
01-23-2009, 11:40 AM
As a starting point, try something basic like Spaghetti bolognese. Trust me, it always goes down a treat! You can even use Ragu sauce if you don't want to make your own.
Curries are a bit harder though.
Will do. I love spaghettig bolognese and if it's a good starting point, I'll go make some next time it is on the menu for dinner.

I'll get to curries eventually, inshallah.

Musaafirah
01-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Lasagne's easy too you know. Garfield likes lasagne.

H4RUN
02-06-2009, 11:19 PM
Cooking is sooo good

when it's ready made:D

YusufNoor
02-07-2009, 11:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
I'd love to be able to cook. I'm pretty good with a mircowave (I can nuke anything). Fryin pan isn't too much of a problem and I can always turn the cooker hobs on without setting myself alight. I haven't had much experience in actually cooking food though...proper food that is. Like what they have on masterchef and big cook, little cook.

Any tips or starting points. And don't say chappatis - everyone can make chappatis. All you need is some Champion atta, a rolling pin and your fist.

2 answers, the 1st...your Mother, your Mother, your Mother! [it's NOT how i learned, but what a blown opportunity to have some great quality time with your Mum!] Seriously, i see way too many Muslim families where the women do ALL of the "domestic" stuff, i.e., cooking, cleaning laundry AS IF that is how it is supposed to be! i mean sisters waiting on their brothers...doing their laundry for them...

oops, enough of a rant. anyway, as i see so much "culture" in the different nationalities, i would assume that most folks like "their own food" the best. therefore, spend as much time as you can learning from your Mum. in addition, you will be making your Mum VERY happy [for a variety of reasons.] AND in later years you will REALLY appreciate that time as well! [and MAYBE just maybe, you won't let your sons grow up to be so "useless" around the house!]

2ndly, get a job as a dishwasher in a restaurant [of the type that you want to learn.] BUST YOUR REAR END WORKING! be an absolute dynamo. the cooks, In Sha'a Allah, will notice this and give you more work to do, of the prep variety at first: chopping, slicing, peeling. as long as you are that dynamo, ask the cooks lots of questions. as long as you are the guy that they can rely on, they should give you preferential treatment. working in a kitchen is hard work, VERY hard in some. cooks tend to "dislike" lazy people, and gravitate to those who are willing to "make it work." 2 of the restaurants that i have worked in were in the top 100 BUSIEST Restaurants IN THE COUNTRY when i worked in them. there are people who are chefs today because i noticed their hard work and so i spent my time training them! [you do this this because when you need a new cook, you KNOW you have someone who will pull his or her own weight!]

usually, in restaurants you will learn prep work, then "short order", breakfast and luncheon items and then dinner.

at home, if you're going to do this your self, get the crock pot! chop, spice, flour, add water, press a button.

i would also recommend a rice cooker, especially one that will cook brown rice! something like this:

http://www.aroma-housewares.com/kitc.../ARC-1000.html

they have steamer trays that fit in the top. you could put some veggies in there and steam them while the rice is cooking.

THEN, get a steamer! we have this:

http://www.oster.com/ProductCategory...id=27&pid=1377

actually, ours is digital. for a nice meal we:

put carrots in for 10 minutes, then the beeper goes off.

put red potatoes [or yukon golds] in for 5 to 10 minutes, when the beeper goes off

add fish for 8 to 12 minutes depending on fish [salmon works VERY nicely!]

we have some key lime butter in the freezer that we slice and put on the fish and dinner only takes about a half hour to cook!

for other pots and pans, seriously go to a restaurant supply store! for your knives as well! the stuff sold in most stores is crap and in a bad economy you should be able to get lots of deals!

Crusted Rosemary Chicken [i created this last Ramadhan, my wife loves it and i use it as a replacement for fried chicken]:

get some "crushed rosemary" and trust me on this, the crushed works best [the other stuff is like pine needles, although fresh works good if you want to steam it]

we use chicken leg quarters [$1.49 a pound for halaal, and YES, i do the shopping]

coat your pan with an oil cooking spray and heat oven to 350.

put the chicken in the pan skin side up [my wife takes the skin off.] put some of the rosemary in a little nappy dish. take it and as you spread it over the chicken, crush it with you fingers into a fine powder. cover as much of the chicken as you ca with the "dust", add a little basil or oregano [we add a touch of mixed sea salt seasoning] and some salt and pepper.

put it in the oven. now, [and this is the part my wife loves] about 5 minutes before it is done, crank the oven to 425! as soon as the light goes out [meaning the oven is up to temp] shut it off! let it sit [and you'll find your own favorite length of time for about 8 minutes.

just before you take it out, turn on the burner under your tea kettle.

when you take the chicken out of the oven, put the chicken on a plate and look at your pan. if it's not burnt [and it shouldn't be. if it is, skip this part and heat it less next time :D], add a liquid to the pan. water works fine, maybe 3/4 of a cup, it will "deglaze" the pan pulling up all the flavors. then reduce the water by half on the burner, this goes really good over some brown rice!

your done!

you CAN play with the liquid. sometimes i use Martinellis sparkling apple juice instead of water or grape juice. find your favorite and personalize it!

just some ideas...

transition?
02-07-2009, 06:48 PM

Lol my dad cooks a lot in our house.
He and my mom always joke around about the who is the better cook.
My dad's list:

Pau bhaji ( Bombay recipe) with toasted bread
Kheer/shurkumah
Soup (all kinds)
Noodles (Asian fusion)
Some combination of vegetables
Haleem

=/ I don't think we measure anything in our family.

S_87
02-07-2009, 07:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab

it took my two years to be able to make it properly- no joke.
not as easy as it looks

aamirsaab
02-07-2009, 08:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
it took my two years to be able to make it properly- no joke.
not as easy as it looks
Yeah but there's one thing that you forget: my fist is BIG! :p.

Jazakallah kheir for all the tips anyway - I've been paying a lot more attention to what goes on in the kitchen because of this thread, which I'm very grateful for.

We haven't had spaghetti yet (that's the dish I was recommended to start off with), but when we do, be sure to know I shall be cooking it and I'll let you know how I get on.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.