/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Men must keep beards

Confused0122
12-27-2008, 04:09 PM
:sl:
I have always heard that having a beard is sunnah for men.. That is true. However, men don't consider it fard because nothing is stated abuot a beard in the Quran.. Regardless, it is mandatory because there are a few ayats in the Quran about how men must follow the path/sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad s.a.w. In Surah An-Nesa’, (verse 80), He says: "He who obeys the messenger (Muhammad), has in indeed obeyed Allah." Also, in Surah Noor ayat #52 He says: It is such as obey Allah and His Messenger, and fear Allah and do right, that will win in the end (24:52).
Therefore, it's obviously mandatory for us to do as the Prophet Muhammad s.a.w. did, from his daily life to even the different ways he prayed.. He kept a beard, and for this reason, other men should too..

Examples: Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: "I have no connection with one who shaves, shouts and tears his clothing eg. in grief or affication."
- Reported by Abu Darda (R.A.) in Muslim, Hadith no. 501

(6) Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam)said: "Act contrary to the polythesists, trim closely the moustache and grow the beard."
- Reported by Ibn Umar (R.A.) in Muslim, Hadith no. 500

The minimum length for the beard is fist length.. The reason I'm bringing this up because we recently had a debate about this controversial topic at home so I'm sure that many others are also under the impression that it is sunnah (which it is!), but you still have to do it as it has been commanded by Allah s.w.t. that we do as his Messenger did.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Confused0122
12-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Correction:

Surah Noor ayat #52 He says: It is those who obey Allah and His Messenger, and fear Allah and do right, that will win in the end (24:52).

IbnAbdulHakim
12-27-2008, 04:25 PM
jazakIllah khair

it burns me up inside when people make it sound like its a voluntary thing

Confused0122
12-27-2008, 05:06 PM
yeah I know brother, they say whatever fits their agenda, like hijab too, most girls say you don't have to. lol they obviously haven't read the Quran..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Aqeel Ahmed
12-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Yes i know it is must but I started 2 days ago.:w:

Confused0122
12-27-2008, 05:16 PM
at least you started brother.. so did my father and uncle.. most others still don't care and say "I don't have to if I don't want to".. That's fine, it's between u and your God lol. Not my problem nor is it any of my business. They can do whatever they want as long as the truth is out.

Cabdullahi
12-27-2008, 05:20 PM
inshallah i am planning to keep a beard ...ameen

Confused0122
12-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Inshallah. I will pray to Allah s.w.t. that he gives all men the strength and iman that will allow them to grow beards, even though most people consider it unfashionable. I hope that nobody will give in to these idealogies and sacrifice their religious beliefs for the temporary ideals of this world. Ameen.

Predator
12-27-2008, 08:23 PM
I really want to grow a beard but unfortunately the place where i work ,we have all been told to come to office with our beards shaved to look neat and presentable .
There is nothing we can do.

Umar001
12-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem,

format_quote Originally Posted by Airforce
I really want to grow a beard but unfortunately the place where i work ,we have all been told to come to office with our beards shaved to look neat and presentable .
As-Salaamu 'Alaykum Wa Rahmatullah,

If they are genuine then may be if you try your best to take on all the other Muslim characteristics, trim your nails, wear clean clothes, comb hair, smell extra good with oils and perfumes and then maybe slowly let your beard go then they will not associate it with a bad thing due to you being known as the nice smelling presentable guy?

Br.al-Habeshi

wth1257
12-29-2008, 02:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Confused0122
I have always heard that having a beard is sunnah for men.. That is true. However, men don't consider it fard because nothing is stated abuot a beard in the Quran.. Regardless, it is mandatory because there are a few ayats in the Quran about how men must follow the path/sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad s.a.w. In Surah An-Nesa’, (verse 80), He says: "He who obeys the messenger (Muhammad), has in indeed obeyed Allah." Also, in Surah Noor ayat #52 He says: It is such as obey Allah and His Messenger, and fear Allah and do right, that will win in the end (24:52).
Therefore, it's obviously mandatory for us to do as the Prophet Muhammad s.a.w. did, from his daily life to even the different ways he prayed.. He kept a beard, and for this reason, other men should too..

Examples: Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: "I have no connection with one who shaves, shouts and tears his clothing eg. in grief or affication."
- Reported by Abu Darda (R.A.) in Muslim, Hadith no. 501

(6) Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam)said: "Act contrary to the polythesists, trim closely the moustache and grow the beard."
- Reported by Ibn Umar (R.A.) in Muslim, Hadith no. 500

The minimum length for the beard is fist length.. The reason I'm bringing this up because we recently had a debate about this controversial topic at home so I'm sure that many others are also under the impression that it is sunnah (which it is!), but you still have to do it as it has been commanded by Allah s.w.t. that we do as his Messenger did.
Should a Muslim man also dye his hair black, give it some curls, and wear only cloths made only from materials avaliable in Muhammad's time? The first Hadith seems to be with regards to expression of grief. By your logic I think one would also be forbidden to ever shout or tear their clothing in any respect. I would be sinning now as I'm wearing a shirt with the sleavs cut off (work out shirt). The second seems to be directed towards the aim of distinguishing oneself from non believers, not the bead in itself.

I don't know. I don't know enough about Hadith or Islam for my oppinion to carry any weight. Just my two cents.

Malaikah
12-29-2008, 03:38 AM
^Muslims aren't meant to dye their hair black. It is forbidden according to some scholars, and dislike according to others.

Also the first hadith clearly says tearing ones clothes in times of grief, i.e. tearing it out of anguish.

wth1257
12-29-2008, 03:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

Also the first hadith clearly says tearing ones clothes in times of grief, i.e. tearing it out of anguish.
Right, but all three were in the context of one's actions in response to grief. She was not arguing that the Hadith in question forbade certain expressions of grief, but forbade the shaving of beards in general. But by that logic it is also forbidden to shout or tear one's clothing in general.

That's just how I read it:-[

Anyway my main point in my post is that I don't understand imitating Muhammad. I mean to what extent must a Muslim imitate his behavior. Certainly not in all respects. I mean even in the Qur'an he is given a special dispensation to marry more than four wives I believe. Like how do Muslims demarcate what aspects of Muhammad's life they must imitate and what they do not?

Confused0122
12-29-2008, 04:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wth1257
Right, but all three were in the context of one's actions in response to grief. She was not arguing that the Hadith in question forbade certain expressions of grief, but forbade the shaving of beards in general. But by that logic it is also forbidden to shout or tear one's clothing in general.

That's just how I read it:-[

Anyway my main point in my post is that I don't understand imitating Muhammad. I mean to what extent must a Muslim imitate his behavior. Certainly not in all respects. I mean even in the Qur'an he is given a special dispensation to marry more than four wives I believe. Like how do Muslims demarcate what aspects of Muhammad's life they must imitate and what they do not?
You imitate what you can. If you're commanded to have a beard like women must wear hijab, then you do it. Nobody said that men should have multiple wives because the prophet s.a.w. did. It is clearly stated in the Quran to marry two, three, or four, but if you fear that you can't be just with them, then only one. The Quran, btw, is the only book that has placed a limit on the number of wives you can have. My point was just to clarify this issue for some people because it has been controversial in my household so I thought the same would apply to others.

Confused0122
12-29-2008, 04:44 AM
And by shouting or tearing clothing, it doesn't mean short sleeved shirts, it's like those idiots on the news who rip their shirts and bang their heads against the ground when they're "mourning."

Hisbul_Aziz
12-29-2008, 05:10 AM
Ruling on shaving the beard
What is the ruling on shaving the beard or removing part of it?

Praise be to Allaah.

Shaving the beard is haraam because of the saheeh ahaadeeth that clearly state this, and because of the general application of texts that forbid resembling the kuffaar. One of these reports is the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar who said that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Be different from the mushrikeen: let your beards grow and trim your moustaches.” According to another report: “Trim your moustaches and let your beards grow.” There are other hadeeth which convey the same meaning, which is to leave the beard as it is and let it grow long, without shaving, plucking or cutting any part of it. Ibn Hazm reported that there was scholarly consensus that it is an obligation (fard) to trim the moustache and let the beard grow. He quoted a number of ahaadeeth as evidence, including the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) quoted above, and the hadeeth of Zayd ibn Arqam in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does not remove any of his moustache is not one of us.” (Classed as saheeh by al-Tirmidhi). Ibn Hazm said in al-Furoo’: “This is the way of our colleagues [i.e., the Hanbalis].”

Is it haraam (to shave it)? Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The Qur’aan, Sunnah and ijmaa’ (scholarly consensus) all indicate that we must differ from the kuffaar in all aspects and not imitate them, because imitating them on the outside will make us imitate them in their bad deeds and habits, and even in beliefs, which will result in befriending them in our hearts, just as loving them in our hearts will lead to imitating them on the outside. Al-Tirmidhi reported that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “He is not one of us who imitates people other than us. Do not imitate the Jews and Christians.” According to another version: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” (Reported by Imaam Ahmad) ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab rejected the testimony of the person who plucked his beard. Imaam Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr said in al-Tamheed: “It is forbidden to shave the beard, and no one does this except men who are effeminate” i.e., those who imitate women. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had a thick beard (reported by Muslim from Jaabir). It is not permitted to remove any part of the beard because of the general meaning of the texts which forbid doing so.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/133

Confused0122
12-29-2008, 05:13 AM
Jazak Allah, the other brother was picking on me lol..

wth1257
12-29-2008, 05:13 AM
My point was just to clarify this issue for some people because it has been controversial in my household so I thought the same would apply to others.
Yeah, I’m sorry; I wasn’t trying to hijack your thread. I was trying to figure out the whole issue of imitating Muhammad and that’s how I go about figuring things out. I’ll start another thread on it.

Confused0122
12-29-2008, 05:16 AM
Oh, it's alright brother. I thought you were trying to pick on what I said. lol. the reason people try to imitate Muhammad s.a.w. is because he was the one who was chosen by Allah, (we believe) and so he was the one who enlightened us and brought us the message of truth. For this reason, we respect him very much and try to be like him as much as we can. Furthermore, in the Quran there are verses saying that you must follow the Prophet s.a.w. and whatever he did.. With that being said, we find it obligatory for us to assimilate it into our daily lives.. I hope that clears it up a little.. =)

Confused0122
12-29-2008, 05:17 AM
Btw, are you interested in religions, even though you are Agnostic?

wth1257
12-29-2008, 05:19 AM
Btw, are you interested in religions, even though you are Agnostic?
Very much so. That's why I'm here:D

Confused0122
12-29-2008, 05:20 AM
lol yeah I kind of figured..

wth1257
12-29-2008, 05:20 AM
Oh, it's alright brother. I thought you were trying to pick on what I said. lol. the reason people try to imitate Muhammad s.a.w. is because he was the one who was chosen by Allah, (we believe) and so he was the one who enlightened us and brought us the message of truth. For this reason, we respect him very much and try to be like him as much as we can. Furthermore, in the Quran there are verses saying that you must follow the Prophet s.a.w. and whatever he did.. With that being said, we find it obligatory for us to assimilate it into our daily lives.. I hope that clears it up a little.. =)
yes, thank you very much

Confused0122
12-29-2008, 05:23 AM
Brother, if you want, there are many good websites about Islam and other religions.. You can use it as a means to differentiate and see if you like any one of them.. There are a few in regards to how modern scientists study the Quran and realize that it confirms scientific findings and that no human being during the 7th century could have had this knowledge, therefore concluding that it may be a divine and holy book.. http://www.nikahsearch.com/marriage/modern_quran.html

http://www.islamicmedicines.com/foru...mbryology.html

wth1257
12-29-2008, 05:34 AM
Brother, if you want, there are many good websites about Islam and other religions.. You can use it as a means to differentiate and see if you like any one of them.. There are a few in regards to how modern scientists study the Quran and realize that it confirms scientific findings and that no human being during the 7th century could have had this knowledge, therefore concluding that it may be a divine and holy book.. http://www.nikahsearch.com/marriage/modern_quran.html

http://www.islamicmedicines.com/foru...mbryology.html
thanks, I will look at these

Confused0122
12-29-2008, 05:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wth1257
thanks, I will look at these
No problem brother. THere is also http://www.thewaytotruth.org/
http://answering-christianity.com/ac.htm

Brother, look into these sites and hopefully the truth will become clear to you. I, myself, had some doubts abuot my religion because I would be on Anti-Islamic sites, which use rhetoric and whatever they could to take verses out of context and portray Islam as the total opposite of what it is, especially saying that women are oppressed. If you look at these sites, you'll see a comparison with quotes on how the Bible views women and how the Quran gives them the right to own their own property. They don't have to work, but if they do, they don't have to spend it on their family! THey can charge their own husbands for breastfeeding their child! Do you believe that? I didn't even know that lol. I don't want you to think this is a site plotted againt Christianity, because there are rebuttals going on back and forth between a Christian and a Muslim. http://www.answering-christianity.com/woman.htm
You can click on the blue asterisks to get to whichever topic you like, and you can see how each religion treats women.. The only reason I mention women is because the media depicts Islam as backward and keeping women down.. You can look for yourself because according to Christianty a woman was supposed to sit silently in Church.. She couldn't even speak.. They blame everything on Eve as opposed to Adam and Eve equally, as the Quran does.. Therefore, saying that women are what caused everything to go wrong. http://www.answering-christianity.co...d_in_bible.htm
According to the Bible, women are cursed with pain during childbirth because of Eve "deceiving" Adam.. I know this is a lot that I'm throwing at you but I just hope you could look at these sites.. You'll be amazed.. You can read the rebuttals by Sam Shamoun defending Christianity.. Wishing you the best.

wth1257
12-29-2008, 06:16 AM
No problem brother. THere is also http://www.thewaytotruth.org/
http://answering-christianity.com/ac.htm

Brother, look into these sites and hopefully the truth will become clear to you. I, myself, had some doubts abuot my religion because I would be on Anti-Islamic sites, which use rhetoric and whatever they could to take verses out of context and portray Islam as the total opposite of what it is, especially saying that women are oppressed. If you look at these sites, you'll see a comparison with quotes on how the Bible views women and how the Quran gives them the right to own their own property. They don't have to work, but if they do, they don't have to spend it on their family! THey can charge their own husbands for breastfeeding their child! Do you believe that? I didn't even know that lol. I don't want you to think this is a site plotted againt Christianity, because there are rebuttals going on back and forth between a Christian and a Muslim. http://www.answering-christianity.com/woman.htm
You can click on the blue asterisks to get to whichever topic you like, and you can see how each religion treats women.. The only reason I mention women is because the media depicts Islam as backward and keeping women down.. You can look for yourself because according to Christianty a woman was supposed to sit silently in Church.. She couldn't even speak.. They blame everything on Eve as opposed to Adam and Eve equally, as the Quran does.. Therefore, saying that women are what caused everything to go wrong. http://www.answering-christianity.co...d_in_bible.htm
According to the Bible, women are cursed with pain during childbirth because of Eve "deceiving" Adam.. I know this is a lot that I'm throwing at you but I just hope you could look at these sites.. You'll be amazed.. You can read the rebuttals by Sam Shamoun defending Christianity.. Wishing you the best.

Thank you. I'll look at the websites. :)

I'm also reading a few books by Shabbir Akhtar, Ziauddin Sardar, and Tariq Ramadan and find them all very interesting. Also I read Maulana Muhammad Ali's "The Religion of Islam" over the summer which was very interesting. I've heard the claims made by right wing Christians against Islam before (I once held many of them latently, a product of being raised in the American South, although my family is not evangelicle Christian). I suppose I find them more ironic than anything else. I mean no honest Jew or Christian can claim that compared to their texts Islam is somehow a misogynistic or innately violent religion. If they do then they have not read their own Bible. I mean I think the Christians who claim Islam is misogynistic have never read the letters of St. Paul.

Confused0122
12-29-2008, 06:37 AM
Yeah, brother, that is exactly what I find ironic.. I was born in the US, in NY actually so I have been raised with the same nasty ideas polluting my mind about how Islam abuses women.. After actually looking into it with an open mind, I have embraced hijab and find it nothing similar to abuse lol.. It's the farthest thing from it.. I really don't blame you because I was born a Muslim and was led astray so of course non Muslims will tend to be confused with all that's going on in the news.. lol.. more than reading books, I think you should read the Quran and go on islamic sites.. Idk why but I find that books incorporate more of the author's opinion than the truth sometimes.. But that doesn't apply to everything so don't get me wrong lol.

Zamtsa
12-29-2008, 01:41 PM
Syaikh Nashir Al Albaani in one of his Fatwa brought by Ukasyah ibn Abdul Mannan, mentioned about the ATSAR about IBN UMAR, mentioned in there that Ibn Umar was letting his beard grew as much of a fistful length, and he was trimming it when the beard grew more than that.

So I hope someone who want to cancel this ATSAR to brought another ATSAR or HADITS. Ibn Umar was known as Shahaba who love to see Rasulullah in everything which he did to the detail.

Assalamu'alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh.

Predator
12-29-2008, 05:13 PM
Imaam Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr said in al-Tamheed: “It is forbidden to shave the beard, and no one does this except men who are effeminate” i.e., those who imitate women.
Now does that mean that anyone who shaves , Allah will never forgive them and they will burn in hell forever ?

You can quote tones of hadiths and Ayats to explain the importance of some facial hair .
But , I just cannot keep a beard as its strictly banned at my workplace and I cannot afford to lose my job for growing a beard as i have a family to feed and its not easy to get another another job ( all because and on top of it there is huge financial crisis well . Its as simple as that .

A mushrik is a person who associates partners with Allah , it has nothing to do with shaving . What about some of the races of siberian , russian, japanese , nordic ,etc ,Facial doesnt even grow on their faces. Now ,does that make them mushrikeen , just because they cant grow beards or moustaches on their faces ?
I dont think so.

Civilsed
12-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Asalam Alaykum,

As Allah says in the Holy Quran, Obey and Allah and obey his messenger. Too many muslim do give the sunnah the respect it deserves like "yeah but it only sunnah" make me soooo angry

Confused0122
12-29-2008, 06:22 PM
Now does that mean that anyone who shaves , Allah will never forgive them and they will burn in hell forever ?

You can quote tones of hadiths and Ayats to explain the importance of some facial hair .
But , I just cannot keep a beard as its strictly banned at my workplace and I cannot afford to lose my job for growing a beard as i have a family to feed and its not easy to get another another job ( all because and on top of it there is huge financial crisis well . Its as simple as that .

A mushrik is a person who associates partners with Allah , it has nothing to do with shaving . What about some of the races of siberian , russian, japanese , nordic ,etc ,Facial doesnt even grow on their faces. Now ,does that make them mushrikeen , just because they cant grow beards or moustaches on their faces ?
I dont think so.
Yeah I was going to say that scholars would say that you can always look for a job where your iman and religious identity can remain intact, but I totally understand what you're saying.. If you have the niyat, or good intention and would want to keep a beard if you could, then Allah is the Omniscient and All seeing.. He understands what a person has to deal with so inshallah He won't punish you for osmething like that, provided that you have a legitimate excuse.

Zamtsa
12-29-2008, 07:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Civilsed
Asalam Alaykum,

As Allah says in the Holy Quran, Obey and Allah and obey his messenger. Too many muslim do give the sunnah the respect it deserves like "yeah but it only sunnah" make me soooo angry
Na'am, Sunnah are Al Hadits which is Rasullah's words, action and acceptance and Sirah Rasulullah Shalallahu 'Alaihi wa Sallam.

When we ask someone, is this Sunnah? means is this got source from Rasulullah?

While what people mean by "doing it accept ajrun while by neglecting it receive nothing" is Tathawwu', don't call it Sunnah.

Assalamu'alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh.

noorahmad
12-29-2008, 09:12 PM
well, what if one doesn't have a beard, it just doesn't grow??

Civilsed
12-29-2008, 10:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noorahmad

If cant grow a beard then there is wrong on you. i.e. this is not in your control.
One should try to live according to the prophet Mohammed (PBUH) as Allah says in the holy quran Mohammed(PBUH) is a perfect example.

Muslims forget that Currcomsizm is also a sunnah but we all make sure that this is done straight away (rightly so) but things like growing beard, removing hair from areas, using miswaq get neglected. As Allah says "enter islam completely)

7 point to grooming as stated by Mohammed (PBUH)

Dont pluck eye brows
Grow your beard & Trim your mastache
Clean teeth (miswaq)
Remove Armpit hair
Remove pubic hair
cut you nail
Currcomsizm (Male)

Confused0122
12-29-2008, 10:21 PM
circumcision.

Amat Allah
12-30-2008, 05:40 AM
just to remind you my beloved brothers and sisters...

we are not imitating our prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) we are following Allah`s commands through him ...he is a sent prophet and he is cammanded to teach us the rules of Allah`s religion Islam my dear brothers and sisters...

remember what Allah says :

[2] Your companion (Muhammad (peace be upon him)) has neither gone astray nor has erred.[3] Nor does he speak of (his own) desire.[4] It is only a Revelation revealed."

Surat An Najm

Confused0122
12-30-2008, 05:42 AM
true sister.. the brother is familiarizing himself with the religion so I'm not being that strict on the use of words lol. i hope he's interested more than anything else. =) Jazakillah sister though

Amat Allah
12-30-2008, 05:43 AM
then its Allah`s willing its ok it doesn`t matter at all ....

Amat Allah
12-30-2008, 05:52 AM
true sister.. the brother is familiarizing himself with the religion so I'm not being that strict on the use of words lol. i hope he's interested more than anything else. =) Jazakillah sister though
I know my sweet heart but it is important really important to know that we are following Allah`s orders and commands through Rasool Allah salla Allaho Alyhi wa sallam but not imitating...got me honey??

I am not trying to be strict I am only clearfy to everyone here the reason of following our prophet salla Allaho alyhi wa sallam my precious...

may Allah love u Ameeeeeeen ^^

UmmahFollower09
12-31-2008, 12:31 AM
Jazakallah Khairan for pointing this out

Many people think this is not needed and it isn't "in style"...inshallah I'm keeping one too

Snowflake
12-31-2008, 03:37 AM
jazakAllah khayr for this (not-so) confused sis :p

It may be a while before my son (10 mashaAllah) sprouts some facial hair. But we already talk about it and alhumdulillah he says he will keep his first beard. Awww.. mashaAllah! *love hearts* Please make dua for my son for Allah to make him a pious muslim and keep him safe from all harm inshaAllah. Ameen.

Triumphant
12-31-2008, 06:28 AM
My beard is thin and I look funny if I don't shave it.

Wyatt
01-12-2009, 03:34 AM
yeah I know brother, they say whatever fits their agenda, like hijab too, most girls say you don't have to. lol they obviously haven't read the Quran..
I'm sure the only thing in the Qur'an about the Hijab is Surah 24:31, which says to cover the neck and bosom with a veil. The veil could have possibly been a common cloth worn back in those times, and the real objective is to cover the neck/bosom. I don't believe it says that an actual hijab is necessary.

rpwelton
01-12-2009, 03:40 AM
I'm in the process of growing my beard out. Before I would grow it for maybe 2 weeks at most and then shave because most of my facial hair does not fill in properly, so it looks weird. That and coupled with the fact that I always thought it was one of those "strongly recommended" sunnahs, but after much research I've come to find out otherwise.

In checking with my boss, the company I work for does not have a policy on facial hair, so I'm just going to keep growing it insha Allah and hopefully it will fill out to a full beard given enough time. Let's just hope they don't decide to adopt a new policy due to my beard growth, lol.

Umar001
01-15-2009, 12:55 PM

Hope you are well Podarok

format_quote Originally Posted by Podarok
I'm sure the only thing in the Qur'an about the Hijab is Surah 24:31, which says to cover the neck and bosom with a veil. The veil could have possibly been a common cloth worn back in those times, and the real objective is to cover the neck/bosom. I don't believe it says that an actual hijab is necessary.
What makes you so sure? You would have done more justice to yourself if you phrased it in a different manner.

Various points one should remember:

1. The role of Prophet Muhammad as explainer of the revelation.
2. The sources of Islam include the teachings which came through Prophet Muhammad.
3. The Qur'an should be understood as it was understood by Prophet Muhammad and His Companions.
4. Translations or even reading it for one who is merely 'ok' is Arabic is not always sufficient.

Br.al-Habeshi

Wyatt
01-15-2009, 10:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi

Hope you are well Podarok

What makes you so sure? You would have done more justice to yourself if you phrased it in a different manner.

Various points one should remember:

1. The role of Prophet Muhammad as explainer of the revelation.
2. The sources of Islam include the teachings which came through Prophet Muhammad.
3. The Qur'an should be understood as it was understood by Prophet Muhammad and His Companions.
4. Translations or even reading it for one who is merely 'ok' is Arabic is not always sufficient.

Br.al-Habeshi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIFEvuTqbmo

This was an interesting debate with three sides that each have points. This is where I've gotten most of my information. I only have the Spanish and English qur'an while my arabic isn't that good. (I do have an Arabic one, but I cannot understand most of it.) I cannot firmly state anything that I believe is the truth in this situation because I don't know all of it, but I do at least have that.

RLG594
01-17-2009, 02:20 AM
Or grow your beard and if they fire you ask them if they want to go to court for religious persecution? (depending of course entirely on what country you live in).

Your boss shouldn't tell you to disobey your God.

My opinion on it.

Would have read the rest of the thread but got a bit fired up at about this post.

Wyatt
01-18-2009, 03:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by RLG594
Or grow your beard and if they fire you ask them if they want to go to court for religious persecution? (depending of course entirely on what country you live in).

My opinion on it.

Would have read the rest of the thread but got a bit fired up at about this post.
ٍSounds like a way to get fired (indirectly). imsad

RLG594
01-18-2009, 05:16 AM
ٍSounds like a way to get fired (indirectly). imsad
Not exactly, especially if you work for a big corporation.

My advice for Muslims in America or Western Europe who have been told they will be fired if they grow a beard is call a lawyer (before growing it), and see if you have a case. You never know...

Take the advice of the Muslim family that got kicked off the plane for talking about airline safety. They walked away with their dignity AND got compensation (though not much) from the airliner.

Silver
01-18-2009, 05:34 AM
I just wanna say one thing. Obviously, it is sunna to grow a beard BUT i really don't like it when men grow really long beards. I don't think it's clean...u know just like they should trim their mustache, they should also trim their beard so that it doesn't become so big...

rpwelton
01-18-2009, 03:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lara
I just wanna say one thing. Obviously, it is sunna to grow a beard BUT i really don't like it when men grow really long beards. I don't think it's clean...u know just like they should trim their mustache, they should also trim their beard so that it doesn't become so big...
The example of Umar and other companions was to let the beard grow until it reached the length of their fist.

Umar001
01-18-2009, 03:32 PM

This was an interesting debate with three sides that each have points. This is where I've gotten most of my information. I only have the Spanish and English qur'an while my arabic isn't that good. (I do have an Arabic one, but I cannot understand most of it.) I cannot firmly state anything that I believe is the truth in this situation because I don't know all of it, but I do at least have that.

Howdy, you see, that discussion/debate when I watched it the first time left me wondering how much do the participants know about Islam first of all and second what are their beliefs in general. The discussion if you notice focused on Qur'an, the lady read a translation of the Qur'an, and then gave her opinion. "It doesn't say where in particular, just the bosom" one needs to read the original wording, what the Prophet said, what those around him understood, etc.

I was hoping someone more knowledgeable would have provided a link to the Hijab issue. If you still want to see why Muslims think Hijab should be worn then say so and I will try find some information (I'm sure you understand as a guy I don't really study the rulings of women :-[ ).

Anyhow, as for the discussion, I wouldn't take my religion from it, at all.

Br.al-Habeshi

nebula
01-18-2009, 03:39 PM

sis muslim men arent allowed to trim their beards at all, the only thing they can trim is their moustache.

rpwelton
01-18-2009, 03:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nebula
sis muslim men arent allowed to trim their beards at all, the only thing they can trim is their moustache.
See my above post. We can trim it if the beard is longer than the length of our fist.

Khalisah
01-18-2009, 04:15 PM

I know this is a thread more directed towards men, as the topic is beards, Although my own knowledge is limited... I can paste some information, and also perhaps you could have a look at the this link where hijab was discussed?

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...867-hijab.html

وَلْيَضْرِبْنَ بِخُمُرِهِنَّ عَلَى جُيُوبِهِنَّ
"And draw they khumur all over their juyub"
(24:31)

The word ‘juyub’ comes from jilbab derived from the word ‘tajalbaba which means to clothe, a loose outer covering, it should be worn over the normal clothes. The plural is jalabeeb.
The word Khimar (khumur) derived from khamr also means to cover, the jilbab usually means the covering from neck/shoulders to the feet and khimar is the term used for everything else that is covered. Linguistically the word khimar means only a head covering. That means that the head has to be covered.

And perhaps this link too?
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/13998/hijab

I hope this helps InshaAllah, Apologies as I am aware I am off topic.
MashaAllah to all the brothers who are and intend to follow the Sunnah of our Prophet (saw) and grow their beards.

nebula
01-18-2009, 09:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rpwelton
See my above post. We can trim it if the beard is longer than the length of our fist.
Bro we cannot trim our beards or cut them at all.

What is the ruling on shaving the beard or removing part of it?

Praise be to Allaah.

Shaving the beard is haraam because of the saheeh ahaadeeth that clearly state this, and because of the general application of texts that forbid resembling the kuffaar. One of these reports is the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar who said that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Be different from the mushrikeen: let your beards grow and trim your moustaches.” According to another report: “Trim your moustaches and let your beards grow.” There are other hadeeth which convey the same meaning, which is to leave the beard as it is and let it grow long, without shaving, plucking or cutting any part of it. Ibn Hazm reported that there was scholarly consensus that it is an obligation (fard) to trim the moustache and let the beard grow. He quoted a number of ahaadeeth as evidence, including the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) quoted above, and the hadeeth of Zayd ibn Arqam in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does not remove any of his moustache is not one of us.” (Classed as saheeh by al-Tirmidhi). Ibn Hazm said in al-Furoo’: “This is the way of our colleagues [i.e., the Hanbalis].”

Is it haraam (to shave it)? Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The Qur’aan, Sunnah and ijmaa’ (scholarly consensus) all indicate that we must differ from the kuffaar in all aspects and not imitate them, because imitating them on the outside will make us imitate them in their bad deeds and habits, and even in beliefs, which will result in befriending them in our hearts, just as loving them in our hearts will lead to imitating them on the outside. Al-Tirmidhi reported that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “He is not one of us who imitates people other than us. Do not imitate the Jews and Christians.” According to another version: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” (Reported by Imaam Ahmad) ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab rejected the testimony of the person who plucked his beard. Imaam Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr said in al-Tamheed: “It is forbidden to shave the beard, and no one does this except men who are effeminate” i.e., those who imitate women. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had a thick beard (reported by Muslim from Jaabir). It is not permitted to remove any part of the beard because of the general meaning of the texts which forbid doing so.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/133

yasin ibn Ahmad
01-19-2009, 12:32 AM
Assalaamalaikoum dear brothers and sisters,
I just want to add another view on topic.Well, having beard is sunnah.After growing it and people recognize you as a man with beard, trimming it is haraam.("Halaka" means trimming after growing in arabic).Which one is worse?Leaving a sunnah because of some causes or fulfilling it even if there is the very likely chance of committing a haraam?I am asking this because in 1920ies ,there were some cases in Turkey when scholars-Aleems were forced to trim their beard.Some of them died of its grief.And even today if you have beard you cant work in a government institute such as schools , hospitals,nowhere.So most religious people in Turkey have moustache instead of beard.Most of them have beard after retiring.You may say this is Prophets sunnah it is very important every muslim should obey it.Amanna, yes it is true, I believe it too.But here is the reality in Turkey.You cant tell thousands of people working for gov that go and find another job.
I am also writing this to make you anticipate with your Turkish brothers.Please, dont prejudge your Turkish brothers who has moustache instead of beard.All of them would want to have beard, and some day it will be Inshallah.But it is not possible for now because of the secular gov in Turkey.
Lastly I am of course in favour of growing beard as our belowed Prophet(pbuh) did.But this deen,Islam is a religion of ease.Dont make shown it a dificult one with some comments.Again I ask Which one is worse?Leaving a sunnah because of some causes or fulfilling it even if there is the very likely chance of committing a haraam?
Leaving a sunnah is not good but committing a haraam is worse than it.
Assalaamalaikoum
your bro

AabiruSabeel
01-19-2009, 12:55 PM

The difference between us and the SaHabah is whenever the Sahabah used to come accross any Sunnah, they used to follow it, and when we come to know of any action as Sunnah, we leave it.

The Sahabah knew the value of the Sunnah in the sight of Allah, and we only know the Hukm (legal status) of Sunnah.

Say: "If ye do love Allah, Follow me: Allah will love you and forgive you your sins: For Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." [3:31]
Allah's pleasure and love is in following the beautiful life style of our Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alaihi wa Sallam). What else do we need?

:w:

Silver
01-19-2009, 01:13 PM
According to another report: “Trim your moustaches and let your beards grow.” There are other hadeeth which convey the same meaning, which is to leave the beard as it is and let it grow long, without shaving, plucking or cutting any part of it. Ibn Hazm reported that there was scholarly consensus that it is an obligation (fard) to trim the moustache and let the beard grow.
But why trim the moustache and let the beard grow? Is there an explanation for it?

Silver
01-19-2009, 01:20 PM
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503545028

First of all, we would like to stress the fact that Islam calls upon all Muslims to be handsome and beautiful. It goes without saying that a Muslim should always be pure in clothes and body. This purity and cleanliness extends to one’s morals and manners. In their words and deeds, Muslims are to be pure and clean avoiding any form of vulgarity or foul speech. Commanding the purity and the cleanliness of the appearance, the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, says: “Verily, Allah is Beautiful and loves beauty.”

Growing beard is a great Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). On growing a beard, it’s important for the Muslim to maintain his physical appearance. Beard should not be let grow in a way that makes a person look disgusting to people. In other words, the Muslim should make sure that his beard adds to his good looking and smartness.

Shedding more details on this issue, we’d like to cite for you the following Fatwa issued by the eminent Muslim scholar Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi:

“Ibn `Umar, may Allah be pleased with him, quoted the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) as saying: “Be distinguished from disbelievers, grow your beards, and shave your mustaches.” In the Hadith, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) related the reason for growing a beard to the necessity of distinguishing Muslims from non-Muslims. The non-Muslims referred to here are the Persians –fire worshipers - who used to shave their beards. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) wanted to teach Muslims how to be distinguished in their appearance, and their behavior.

Besides, shaving beard is an act of revolting against the nature of man, and imitating women. Thus, beard is a sign of maturity and manhood. However, growing a beard does not mean letting it stretch to an unreasonable width or length; rather, it adds to one’s handsomeness when it’s trimmed a bit or shaped from edges. This was the practice of the Salaf (righteous ancestors).

Most of our contemporary Muslims shave their beards, but this represents an act of imitating the enemies of their religion as well as ignoring the guidance of their Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) who said: “Whoever imitates a people, he is one of them.”

Many scholars made it prohibited Haram to shave beard, and they based it on the Prophet’s reasoning. To them, it is mandatory to grow the beard. It was not narrated ever about the righteous companions, and the Salaf (Successors) ignored this matter.

However, some contemporary scholars made it lawful to shave the beard under the pressure of current conditions. They further stated that growing a beard by the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) was a normal action but not a ritual one.

In reality, the Prophet’s insistence on growing a beard is not a matter of tradition but his deliberate insistence on the signs of distinction between Muslims and non-Muslims. Ibn Taimiyah stated that being different from non-believers was what the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) meant as imitating them would lead to companionship, loyalty, and internal love which, on its turn, would lead to external love, and this has been proven right nowadays.

Imam Ibn Taimiyah proceeded to say that, in many places in the Qur’an and the Sunnah, the importance of being distinctive from non-believers is reiterated given the fact that imitating them would also lead to behavioral imitation, a matter that is prohibited Islamically.

Based on the above mentioned, we see that there are three views on shaving the beard. First, shaving beard is prohibited. This is the view of Ibn Taimyiah. Second: it is Makruh (reprehensible), that is `Iyad’s view. The Third view is that there is no problem in shaving the beard. This view is held by many contemporary scholars.

It seems to me that the closest of these three views is the one that deems shaving beard as Makruh. As the stated reason for growing the beard is to be different from the non-believers, it is similar to the matter of dyeing gray hair in order to be distinct from the Jews and Christians; it is known that some of the Companions of the Prophet did not dye their gray hair, signifying that it was commendable rather than obligatory. Similarly, growing the beard may be regarded as commendable but not obligatory, and, accordingly, shaving it would be classified as Makruh rather than Haram. It is true that none of the Companions was known to have shaved his beard. Perhaps there was no need to shave, and perhaps growing the beard was a custom among them."

AabiruSabeel
01-19-2009, 01:47 PM
On growing a beard, it’s important for the Muslim to maintain his physical appearance. Beard should not be let grow in a way that makes a person look disgusting to people. In other words, the Muslim should make sure that his beard adds to his good looking and smartness.
However, some contemporary scholars made it lawful to shave the beard under the pressure of current conditions. They further stated that growing a beard by the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) was a normal action but not a ritual one.
Similarly, growing the beard may be regarded as commendable but not obligatory, and, accordingly, shaving it would be classified as Makruh rather than Haram.
Fatwas and opinions of Scholars do not change the status of a Sunnah.

Abdullah bin Mas'ood (RA) stated (in a long Hadeeth):
ولو تركتم سنة نبيكم لضللتم
... and no sooner you desert the Sunnah of your Prophet than you go astray... [Muslim and Abu Dawood]
Moreover, the Fatwa is an extreme case of permissibility, given under certain circumstances. You can even find Fatwa for saying words of Kufr, but under certain conditions. The Taqwa is what is recommended.
So it all depends on how much Taqwa a person has. You can follow the Fatwa or the Taqwa, its up to you.

:w:

Predator
01-19-2009, 06:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by RLG594

My opinion on it.

Yeah but there are times when a secular government doesnt support it either

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/M...ow/3473118.cms

Thinker
01-19-2009, 06:46 PM
But why trim the moustache and let the beard grow? Is there an explanation for it?
I believe I read somewhere that Muhammed suggested beards and no moustache so that they could visually distinguish themselves from Christians and Jews (who presumably had beards and moustache). If that is correct, does it not follw that the sentiment behind the suggestion is a matter of identification and would ity not then follow that if identifictaion is no longer an issue then having a beard and no moustache is no longer necessary.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
01-19-2009, 06:56 PM

Best talk I've heard on this subject:
http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...sir-qadhi.html

The Shaykh goes over the Fiqh of the beard, whether or not beard = Hijab, what some scholars have said regarding beard and different opinions regarding it, how we should be wise when telling others to grow a beard, how prioritization is important and is lacking amongst many sectors of our community when issues such as the beard comes up, how to properly give advice to people, and how over zealousness in aspects of the religion such as the beard can have adverse effects amongst members of the community. I hope that everyone who's participated in this thread takes out 45 minutes to sit down and listen Insha'Allaah.

I honestly don't even see any benefit of leaving this thread open as it seems to be starting mini-arguments amongst members with a lot of fatwa copy/pasting. If it continues, I'll have to close this thread.

Orn
01-21-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm and willing to grow a beard but my mother and my grandmother says to do it later on in life when I'm older even though the hair grows on my face, I hate shaving though but I also have some legal problems like my passport photo but still I wanna grow a beard, I'll be 21 this feb for crying out loud lol!

rpwelton
01-21-2009, 02:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Orn
I'm and willing to grow a beard but my mother and my grandmother says to do it later on in life when I'm older even though the hair grows on my face, I hate shaving though but I also have some legal problems like my passport photo but still I wanna grow a beard, I'll be 21 this feb for crying out loud lol!

You never know when your time is up, brother. The whole "waiting until you're older" bit is ridiculous. You're an adult now and if you want to follow the commandment of Muhammad (SAW), you should start to grow your beard out.

Gator
01-23-2009, 12:22 PM
When I read the ayat about shaving and tearing clothes in grief (hadith 501) it reminded me of the Mitzvot (Jewish Laws) that says "Not to make a bald spot in mourning". So the shaving, as wth1257 pointed out, could only be in regards in time of grief. Perhaps it was a polytheistic practice back then.

Plus the injunction of the second hadith to not act like polytheists is a conditional that can be argued no longer applies.

Orn
01-23-2009, 02:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rpwelton

You never know when your time is up, brother. The whole "waiting until you're older" bit is ridiculous. You're an adult now and if you want to follow the commandment of Muhammad (SAW), you should start to grow your beard out.
I know I am ready but my parents are well....barring me, when I'll go to the us(which isnt far off) I will grow a beard regardless, but at present I still try to keep it as long as my mother dont notice it

Predator
03-31-2009, 07:22 PM
Now look at this news article below

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/S...ow/4336636.cms

If a society is filled intolerant non muslims , i dont think people can ever dream of growing a beard there

aadil77
03-31-2009, 07:46 PM
some chechnyan mujahideen shave the beard to be able to go in and out of towns without being caught, so yeah this is one of them cases

nebula
03-31-2009, 08:25 PM
i am sorry to say but many people find excuses not to grow a beard! :( , not quoting anyone here but im talking about a few brothers i know in person. May Allah give us all the strength to grow beautiful beards and if the hair doesnt grow then inshallah Allah will give us the reward still!

'Abd-al Latif
03-31-2009, 08:37 PM

The Beard and other Traits of Fitrah

Enter into Islam completely (Part 1) by Muhammad al-Jibaly

Publisher: Al-Kitaab & as-Sunnah Publishing

About the Book: Allaah commands the believers to adhere to lslaam in its totality:

"0 you who believe! Enter into Islaam completely, and do not follow the footsteps of Satan. 'verily, he is to you a clear enemy" [Al-Baqarah 2:208]

The true way to guidance and prosperity is through correcting our apparent deeds by complete adherence to the Sunnah, and our hearts by sincerity and continued awareness of Allaah . May He grant us guidance and facilitation.

This Book Deals with the traits of fitrah which are among the issues that some people consider "small" or "minor". However, they are all very important for a Muslim who wishes to maintain healthy hygiene and a dignified appearance, guided in that by Allah's revelation, In addition to the beard, we deal in detail with the issues of grooming the hair, siwak, circumcision, and so on.

http://www.darussalam.com/product_in...products_id=55

alcurad
03-31-2009, 08:52 PM
isn't it time this thread was closed:?

chacha_jalebi
04-01-2009, 12:21 AM
This is a gooood thread ya know :D

My two cents..

There is so much evidence for the beard, I think bros just have a hard time keeping it and loads of people have a stereo type bout beards! Like it will make me look terroristy, old, serious, laaa dee daaaa:p but like these are just excuses! People say it will make em ugly aswel lol! Well well they say Prophet Yusuf (as) was the most handsome person and he had a beard! And hadhrat Aisha (ra) says about RasoolAllah (s) that the women which saw yusuf cut their fingers, if they had seen RasoolAllah (s) they would cut their hearts :D! Mashallah it shows their love, and it also shows she thought he was bootiful, and we know RasoolAllah, had the looks and we also know HE HAD A BEARD! So it shows that the most buffest people have beards:p so it's like killin 2birds with 1 stone, cos if you keep a beard, you will be drop dead gorgeous :D and more importantly you will be fulfillin the sunnah, so that 2 in 1 innaaaay!

And beards make you like grrrrrh like grrrrrrh masculine come on *overflow of manlyness* :pSo what's their to lose! I know it's hard at first but gradualy you will get used to it and plus your gettin reward for it, so why not eh eh eh:D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.