/* */

PDA

View Full Version : "Science and Islam" - BBC 4

Banu_Hashim
01-05-2009, 06:10 PM
" Physicist Jim Al-Khalili travels through Syria, Iran, Tunisia and Spain to tell the story of the great leap in scientific knowledge that took place in the Islamic world between the 8th and 14th centuries.

Its legacy is tangible, with terms like algebra, algorithm and alkali all being Arabic in origin and at the very heart of modern science - there would be no modern mathematics or physics without algebra, no computers without algorithms and no chemistry without alkalis.

For Baghdad-born Al-Khalili this is also a personal journey and on his travels he uncovers a diverse and outward-looking culture, fascinated by learning and obsessed with science. From the great mathematician Al-Khwarizmi, who did much to establish the mathematical tradition we now know as algebra, to Ibn Sina, a pioneer of early medicine whose Canon of Medicine was still in use as recently as the 19th century, he pieces together a remarkable story of the often-overlooked achievements of the early medieval Islamic scientists.

Professor Jim Al-Khalili presents Science and Islam on BBC Four at 2100GMT on Monday 5, 12 & 19 January. "

For those of you who do not have the channel BBC4, for whatever reason then you can watch the episode on BBC iPlayer the day after.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/

(I'm not sure if this service is available to UK internet users only though.)

For the article related to this series:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7810846.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ar-RaYYan
01-05-2009, 08:20 PM
hmm interesting :ooh:
will watch it inshallah (if i manage to finish my essay imsad)
jazzakallah khair

Banu_Hashim
01-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Alhamdulilah I just watched the first episode! It was really interesting. And that hospital was nice wasn't it ??

Can't wait for the next episode, next week.

Re.TiReD
01-05-2009, 10:41 PM
My brothers watched a part of it...seemed interesting from way over here. Lol

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hamayun
01-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Watched it and it was very interesting

Ali.
01-05-2009, 10:54 PM
I caught like 15 mins of it on and off.. roughly what was it saying, and why were they calling it Islamic Science, because it was at the period of Islamic beginnings?

Banu_Hashim
01-05-2009, 11:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali.
I caught like 15 mins of it on and off.. roughly what was it saying, and why were they calling it Islamic Science, because it was at the period of Islamic beginnings?
Well, yeah. It was during the "Islamic Golden Age" when scholarly work including philosophy, medicine, astronomy, mathematics etc flourished; while Europe was stuck in the dark ages. A time when knowledge was valued above everything. Like it said, the Khalifah at the time (not sure who) would reward people who brought books of knowledge to him (those that he did not have already in his library) with gold, equal to the weight of the book.

Whatsthepoint
01-05-2009, 11:05 PM
Several inventions usually attributed to western scientists were in fact invented long before by their Arab, Persian etc counterparts.

Zamtsa
01-06-2009, 06:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Several inventions usually attributed to western scientists were in fact invented long before by their Arab, Persian etc counterparts.
The idea by Galen and Arab about "Reproduction," had their true and wrong points, now why did Muhammad did not PUT the wrong point, if he really MADE Al Qur'an?

Al Qur'an also has answered people who had the same question (or whatever) as yourself, so your words were DUPLICATING them, quite frankly, Allahu kalam

An Nahl(16):103 We know indeed that they say "It is a man that teaches him." The tongue of him they wickedly point to is A'jam(notable foreign) while this is Arabic pure and clear. 2143

Assalamu manit taba'al huda (May peace be upon who follow the guidance).

Whatsthepoint
01-06-2009, 01:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Thayyib
The idea by Galen and Arab about "Reproduction," had their true and wrong points, now why did Muhammad did not PUT the wrong point, if he really MADE Al Qur'an?

Al Qur'an also has answered people who had the same question (or whatever) as yourself, so your words were DUPLICATING them, quite frankly, Allahu kalam

An Nahl(16):103 We know indeed that they say "It is a man that teaches him." The tongue of him they wickedly point to is A'jam(notable foreign) while this is Arabic pure and clear. 2143

Assalamu manit taba'al huda (May peace be upon who follow the guidance).
This thread has nothing to do with the so called miracles of the Quran.

Tony
01-06-2009, 01:28 PM
This thread has nothing to do with the so called miracles of the Quran.
I would sincerely like you to post anything you have found that disproves anything in the Qur'an, I dont mean splitting hairs like the fingerprint issue, real proof. With respect I think there is none

Whatsthepoint
01-06-2009, 01:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by TKTony
I would sincerely like you to post anything you have found that disproves anything in the Qur'an, I dont mean splitting hairs like the fingerprint issue, real proof. With respect I think there is none
This is a thread about science in the Islamic world.
I'd be glad to have a private discussion with you.

Tony
01-06-2009, 01:45 PM
This is a thread about science in the Islamic world.
I'd be glad to have a private discussion with you.
OK, I am pushed for time though so may take a while to discuss. peace

aamirsaab
01-06-2009, 01:49 PM
:sl:
This program was awesome. As was the one on just before it about Islam and Europe. 1 hour and a half of Islamic history for 4 weeks? Awwww yeah!

nocturne
01-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Anyway for non-UK people to watch them?

Tony
01-06-2009, 02:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nocturne
bbc web site then search i think

Muezzin
01-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Does iPlayer work overseas?

nocturne
01-06-2009, 02:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Does iPlayer work overseas?
Nope, only UK locals can view the content.

I am trying to see if can use some kind of proxy, but i am really bad at it :Evil:

Banu_Hashim
01-06-2009, 04:13 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/watchlive/

On Monday 9.00pm British time, you can use that to watch the program live online. Hopefully it isn't limited to UK users. Don't think it is. Try it.

Zafran
01-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Salaam

I'm sure someone will post it on youtube sooner or later.

peace.

Fishman
01-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Get a very high seat and you might be able to watch the UK from where you are...
:w:

Ali_Cena
01-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Hey i just wanted to know is the professor the main guy in the seriss muslim or not, he seems to not be muslim in my opinoin.

Fishman
01-06-2009, 10:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali_Cena
Hey i just wanted to know is the professor the main guy in the seriss muslim or not, he seems to not be muslim in my opinoin.
Well, he's from Baghdad and he referred to Islamic science as his 'own heritage', so probably. There is a possibility that he is an ex-Muslim or something, but if he were an ex-Muslim he probably wouldn't be saying such favourable things about Islamic history, given that 'Exs' then to really hate the thing they used to be.

Chuck
01-07-2009, 01:14 AM
He could be Arab Christian. I've seen that name in Arab Christians.

Chuck
01-07-2009, 01:24 AM
Found out his background: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...religion.world

His father was Shia Muslim and mother Christian protestant.

sur
01-07-2009, 01:46 AM
"Islam - Empire of Faith" documentry also summerizes muslim scientific acheivements:-

3 Parts:-
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...91480425043142
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...90558658&hl=en
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...70367302&hl=en

Ali_Cena
01-07-2009, 08:53 AM
i know he is atheist check this out he talks about not letting dawkins do all the talkina and he says let other "rational" thinkers do the same aswell; what a retard:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ociety-dawkins

Ali_Cena
01-07-2009, 08:54 AM
i dont like the guy!!!!!!!!!! lol
peace

*Yasmin*
01-07-2009, 03:26 PM
i have an intrest for these things thanks bro
i'll watch inshaa'ALLAH

doorster
01-07-2009, 03:38 PM
i know he is atheist check this out he talks about not letting dawkins do all the talkina and he says let other "rational" thinkers do the same aswell; what a retard:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ociety-dawkins
it only means that he won't be biased in favour of Islam, which in turn means that if he says something good about our history, it will be believed by more people. To be an atheist does not make a person a retard.

Jim al Khalili videos (Islam and Science) >> Science and Islam: The Language of Science Part 1/6

Chuck
01-08-2009, 08:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
it only means that he won't be biased in favour of Islam, which in turn means that if he says something good about our history, it will be believed by more people. To be an atheist does not make a person a retard.

Jim al Khalili videos (Islam and Science) >> Science and Islam: The Language of Science Part 1/6
It could also mean he might be biased for somethings or had misinformation about somethings. Overall it was nice, but he made a mistake about the hadith as far as I know. In part 3/6 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5oWv...eature=channel) start watching from 6:30.

The hadith he was showing about Galen is not found any of the hadith books as far as I know, I doubt it it was hadith at all. Most likely it was opinion of complier or some other scholar that was complied as hadith.

doorster
01-08-2009, 08:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chuck
It could also mean he might be biased for somethings or had misinformation about somethings. Overall it was nice, but he made a mistake about the hadith as far as I know. In part 3/6 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5oWv...eature=channel) start watching from 6:30.

The hadith he was showing about Galen is not found any of the hadith books as far as I know, I doubt it it was hadith at all. Most likely it was opinion of complier or some other scholar that was complied as hadith.
I've only watched part one so far.

in anycase if he is a shiite, could it be in one of their books?

talking about 1 allegedly fake hadees in his progrom, do you want to know how many are on this forum now? have you checked for any mutilations on any fatwa shops in general and one in particular?

have you watched the video of the mouse warrior and compared it with al-khalili videos? which of them is doing more harm to us and our causes?

Overall it was nice, but he made a mistake about the hadith
that is how it should be viewed because he is not a scholar of religion

do you seriously think that it was a spot the mistake competition or it is an attempt to pacify/reduce the hysteria and hatred that is spreading against us?

Chuck
01-09-2009, 07:52 PM
I said overall it was nice, but pointing out mistake because people might believe him without further research in everything. He has more credibility due to his status.

"mouse warrior" never heard of him.

As for the harm, both can do more harm depending what misinformation is spreading.

format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
I've only watched part one so far.

in anycase if he is a shiite, could it be in one of their books?

talking about 1 allegedly fake hadees in his progrom, do you want to know how many are on this forum now? have you checked for any mutilations on any fatwa shops in general and one in particular?

have you watched the video of the mouse warrior and compared it with al-khalili videos? which of them is doing more harm to us and our causes?

that is how it should be viewed because he is not a scholar of religion

do you seriously think that it was a spot the mistake competition or it is an attempt to pacify/reduce the hysteria and hatred that is spreading against us?

786rani
01-09-2009, 08:22 PM
I watched the full programme but I was a bit confused-The book the man was reading from regarding medival medicine-was that from the prophet for from the medival doctor?

Chuck
01-09-2009, 09:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 786rani
I watched the full programme but I was a bit confused-The book the man was reading from regarding medival medicine-was that from the prophet for from the medival doctor?
That book is collection of hadiths related to medical issues. The book was compiled in 16th century and some hadith are from authentic sources and some are not.

786rani
01-10-2009, 10:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chuck
That book is collection of hadiths related to medical issues. The book was compiled in 16th century and some hadith are from authentic sources and some are not.
Jazakallah Khairun brother...:D

Dr-Khaled
06-18-2010, 01:30 PM
If i may add this link
forums.mvgroup.org/index.php?showtopic=32318

it's a link to torrent files that are in both HD an standard Xvid qualities
with soft arabic subs

great documentary

Nirvana
06-19-2010, 03:36 AM
Prof. Jim Khalili is definitely not Muslim. I think he is from a Christian Arab family and he himself is atheist. Allahu Alim.

If you want to know more about the history of Muslim scientists then you should visit something called 1001 Inventions. It is a project run by Mashallah some very intelligent brothers from Universities in UK and USA. They show the evidence about how Muslims were the reason for the Europe's progress to industrial revolution. See the website www.1001inventions.com and you can even watch some great movies about that history.

Hugo
07-30-2010, 05:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nirvana
Prof. Jim Khalili is definitely not Muslim. I think he is from a Christian Arab family and he himself is atheist. Allahu Alim.

If you want to know more about the history of Muslim scientists then you should visit something called 1001 Inventions. It is a project run by Mashallah some very intelligent brothers from Universities in UK and USA. They show the evidence about how Muslims were the reason for the Europe's progress to industrial revolution. See the website www.1001inventions.com and you can even watch some great movies about that history.
I find this a puzzling post as how anyone state that Dr Khalili is not Muslim from this series is beyond me. What he shows is that in the Abassid empire there was openness and such openness was necessitated because to run a huge empire you need knowledge and expertise of all kinds. So the Califs set about collecting it from wherever they could get it because they understood perfectly well that science stands outside religion because it is the same for everyone. They therefore assembled people who could collect books but also bring them back and then translate them into Arabic so they could be understood and used all over the empire - for its time an absolutely brilliant idea.

To take one example, Ibn Sīnā's brilliant Canon of Medicine provides a complete system of medicine according to the principles of Galen and Hippocrates and it was used right up until the 18c. He did not think it all up himself he gathered texts from where ever he could get them and thanks to the translation movement he could get anything translated into Arabic is he could not do it himself. So he did what every good scientist does he builds on the work of others and pushed the boundaries way forward in the process. Indeed it was not until the microscope (itself relied on the development of glass working in Baghdad) because common and the ideas of germs and bacterial that then next gigantic step forward occurred.

So this has zero to do with whether Jim Khalili is a Muslim or not because the facts are well known and to think that only 'real' Muslim's can present and treasure then is unworthy of such a great and free spirited empire.

أحمد
07-30-2010, 05:57 PM

Muslims scientists have done a lot for science, as have muslim mathematicians, alchemists and psychologists. Unfortunately, it was all in the past. We need to wake up and continue to make more useful discoveries, inventions and better education systems; as muslim scholars and students of knowledge did in the past.

The history isn't lost, nor is the ability, what really lacks above all is iman. In the past; it was for obedience towards Allah, in the present; everyone's more concerned about financial benefit and pleasing others. The more we run after the worldly riches; the more we run away from attaining anything good, including the Aakhirah.

كُنۡتُمۡ خَيۡرَ اُمَّةٍ اُخۡرِجَتۡ لِلنَّاسِ تَاۡمُرُوۡنَ بِالۡمَعۡرُوۡفِ وَتَنۡهَوۡنَ عَنِ الۡمُنۡكَرِ وَتُؤۡمِنُوۡنَ بِاللّٰهِ*ؕ وَلَوۡ اٰمَنَ اَهۡلُ الۡكِتٰبِ لَڪَانَ خَيۡرًا لَّهُمۡ*ؕ مِنۡهُمُ الۡمُؤۡمِنُوۡنَ وَاَكۡثَرُهُمُ الۡفٰسِقُوۡنَ

Ye are the best community that hath been raised up for mankind. Ye enjoin right conduct and forbid indecency; and ye believe in Allah. And if the People of the Scripture had believed it had been better for them. Some of them are believers; but most of them are evil-livers. (3:110)

There is no big secret to success; the guidance is given plainly in the form of the Quran. If we are to take the mushafs from their well decorated locked glass shelves, and read what is written inside; then we can begin to understand the guidance.

:wa:

Hugo
07-30-2010, 06:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by {A}
Muslims scientists have done a lot for science, as have muslim mathematicians, alchemists and psychologists. Unfortunately, it was all in the past. We need to wake up and continue to make more useful discoveries, inventions and better education systems; as muslim scholars and students of knowledge did in the past.
The history isn't lost, nor is the ability, what really lacks above all is iman. In the past; it was for obedience towards Allah, in the present; everyone's more concerned about financial benefit and pleasing others. The more we run after the worldly riches; the more we run away from attaining anything good, including the Aakhirah. Ye are the best community that hath been raised up for mankind. Ye enjoin right conduct and forbid indecency; and ye believe in Allah. And if the People of the Scripture had believed it had been better for them. Some of them are believers; but most of them are evil-livers. (3:110)

There is no big secret to success; the guidance is given plainly in the form of the Quran. If we are to take the mushafs from their well decorated locked glass shelves, and read what is written inside; then we can begin to understand the guidance.
There is just science, it does not belong to Muslims, Christians or anyone else. It is out there for any one with an open mind to discover and if you start adding up who contributed most you devalue it altogether because advances have been made by all sorts of people - Allan Turing for example was a homosexual and atheistic but his work is breathtakingly brilliant and beautiful.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.