/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Horse riding...?

*Flossy*
01-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Hi everyone!

I was just curious as to whether horse riding is allowed in Islam?

:thankyou:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*Flossy*
01-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Oh, and apologies if this is in the wrong place :embarrass

crayon
01-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Horse riding is perfectly ok in islam, they used to do it all the time in the time of the prophet peace be upon him, both men and women. Umar ibn Alkhattab even said that children should be taught 3 things "swimming, archery, and horseback riding". As long as you can dress appropriately and it's safe, it's fine inshallah.

I've been horse riding several times, i absolutely loooove it. Went on a 4 hour ride once, in the woods, through streams, up hills, through fields.. ahhhhhh, beautiful.:smile:

doorster
01-07-2009, 01:27 PM
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...EAskTheScholar

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*Flossy*
01-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Thanks for your replies!

I love riding too! I used to do it alot when I was younger, not so much now unfortunately.. Full-time studies take up majority of my time now.

Thanks again!

MO783
01-07-2009, 02:30 PM
:sl:

I would love to ride a horse

Woodrow
01-07-2009, 07:23 PM
I not only ride hoses, I raise them.

Horses have a very long history in Islam and are of the most loved animals by Muslims.

Woodrow
01-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Read the following Ahadith:

Dawud Book 14, Number 2570:

Narrated Abdullah ibn Umar:

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) used to make lean by training horses which he employed in the race.

Dawud Book 14, Number 2571:

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) used to hold a race between horses and kept the one in the fifth year at a long distance.

جوري
01-07-2009, 07:43 PM
There is a hadith about teaching one's young Archery, horse backriding and swimming, which I can't source at the moment...

:w:

*Flossy*
01-07-2009, 07:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Read the following Ahadith:

Dawud Book 14, Number 2570:

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) used to make lean by training horses which he employed in the race.

Dawud Book 14, Number 2571:

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) used to hold a race between horses and kept the one in the fifth year at a long distance.

Thanks very much for that Woodrow... Where could I find this?

Fishman
01-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Horse riding is one of the three manly sports of Mongolia, the other two being wrestling and archery. Whether this means that they think everybody who plays other sports is a woman is unclear...

Woodrow
01-07-2009, 08:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *Flossy*
Thanks very much for that Woodrow... Where could I find this?

Those are from the Ahadith . If you do not have the Ahadith (Ahadith is the plural of hadith)

There are very many Ahadith, not all are Authentic and reliable. However it is generally accepted that the Ahadith of the first 4 Imams (Sahih Bukhari, Sahih Muslim, Sunan Abudawud (Dawud), Malik's Muwatta) are.

You can find translations of it on line. Here is a good searchable site:

http://www.searchtruth.com/

*Flossy*
01-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks so much for your help! :D
I've been looking at Islam for a while but it's so difficult on the internet as you never know what's reliable! I got a book from my local library (i'm from UK) which seems really good and explains alot.. Getting off topic, sorry :embarrass

Thanks very much again everyone!

~Taalibah~
01-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Sister, i gave up horse riding on account of a Hadith- something to the effect of 'Women in the saddle are a sign of Qiyamah'
Just thought i'd mention it.:peace:

Woodrow
01-07-2009, 09:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sabeeha
Sister, i gave up horse riding on account of a Hadith- something to the effect of 'Women in the saddle are a sign of Qiyamah'
Just thought i'd mention it.:peace:

and how does that forbid a woman from riding a horse? We can not change, hasten or stop Qiyamah. The signs of it are warnings for us to be prepared.

Perhaps it can even be a Blessing that a woman warns us by being one of the signs.

*Flossy*
01-07-2009, 10:03 PM
I feel daft now but what's Qiyamah?
:embarrass

Ansariyah
01-07-2009, 10:12 PM
I feel daft now but what's Qiyamah?
:embarrass
Judgement day.

*Flossy*
01-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Thank you :embarrass

Ansariyah
01-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Thank you :embarrass
Don't thank me it's ok & Don't be so shy ....
:sunny:

*Flossy*
01-07-2009, 10:20 PM
My friends at college are muslim and i'm aaaalways askin them questions... They're always so nice about it though and never bother... I feel very lucky :D

Ansariyah
01-07-2009, 10:24 PM
My friends at college are muslim and i'm aaaalways askin them questions... They're always so nice about it though and never bother... I feel very lucky :D
Aw that's kewl.
u can ask anything u want. lol

*Flossy*
01-07-2009, 10:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah
Aw that's kewl.
u can ask anything u want. lol
aaww thanks very much :smile:

جوري
01-08-2009, 01:08 AM
Did women during the time of the prophet not ride horses? I ask, how did khawala bint al'azwar go out on the field during the battle of Ajnadin with khalid ibn ilwaleed? did she go on foot?
I am just curious..

doorster
01-08-2009, 01:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
Did women during the time of the prophet not ride horses? I ask, how did khawala bint al'azwar go out on the field during the battle of Ajnadin with khalid ibn ilwaleed? did she go on foot?
I am just curious..

"...Derar lost his spear, fell from his horse, and was taken prisoner. She donned a male knight’s attire, took her arms and rode her mare through the Roman ranks, using her sword skillfully against whoever tried to stop her. The Muslim soldiers, and their leader Khalid, watched her with great admiration, presuming that she was a man."

But I am sure that was a rhetorical question!

جوري
01-08-2009, 01:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
"...Derar lost his spear, fell from his horse, and was taken prisoner. She donned a male knight’s attire, took her arms and rode her mare through the Roman ranks, using her sword skillfully against whoever tried to stop her. The Muslim soldiers, and their leader Khalid, watched her with great admiration, presuming that she was a man."

But I am sure that was a rhetorical question!
Jazaka Allah khyran.. thank you, hope you'll share it with umma folks, including this, which I managed to find though not specific for horses but in general

Name Anna -
Profession
Question Salam! Is it allowed for a Muslim lady to drive a car?
Answer Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

There is nothing in the shari`ah that forbids a Muslim woman from driving a car. In the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) women used to ride horses and camels; mind you some of those horses were comparable to the racing cars. I do not find any difference between riding a horse and riding a car.

Allah Almighty knows best.
though the questioner was asking of cars
http://www.islamonline.net/livefatwa...GuestID=d7PqDD

with that said.. I think anything at all can be misused-- sadly many young Muslims today (and I have seen some very recently on this board issuing fatwas left and right) if there was something the prophet PBUH, we must look at situation, purpose and entire context especially with what he allowed and disallowed during his time .. Islam is a way of life, it should be in concert with fitrah.. if it feels mind boggling to accept, it probably because it is..

I have no interest in fixing what is wrong with the ummah folks, but I guess that is something one has to put up with on blogs.. the dissemination of monolithic ignorance.. I am starting to see wisdom in the prophet PBUH used to ask Allah swt from prevention of ignorance amongst the other major ailments..

and Allah swt knows best

doorster
01-08-2009, 01:41 AM
Jazaka Allah khyran.. thank you, hope you'll share it with umma folks, including this, which I managed to find though not specific for horses but in general

Name Anna -
Profession
Question Salam! Is it allowed for a Muslim lady to drive a car?
Answer Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

though the questioner was asking of cars
http://www.islamonline.net/livefatwa...GuestID=d7PqDD

with that said.. I think anything at all can be misused-- sadly many young Muslims today (and I have seen some very recently on this board issuing fatwas left and right) if there was something the prophet PBUH, we must look at situation, purpose and entire context especially with what he allowed and disallowed during his time .. Islam is a way of life, it should be in concert with fitrah.. if it feels mind boggling to accept, it probably because it is..

I have no interest in fixing what is wrong with the ummah folks, but I guess that is something one has to put up with on blogs.. the dissemination of monolithic ignorance.. I am starting to see wisdom in the prophet PBUH used to ask Allah swt from prevention of ignorance amongst the other major ailments..

and Allah swt knows best

No, because I am of the opinion which errs on the side of caution thus advise against bike and horse riding (unless a side saddle is used for horse) for never-married sisters to save them from possible future repercussions, regardless of what you or anyone may say, a huge number of Muslims are not as well informed as you are, and their means of testing a certain something are limited to that one thing. and if need be I can get backing from Islamonline director and another man calling himself Dr. Arafat an associate of Dr. Naik, in their opinion, even though it is not a scientific test for that "condition", it is what is used by the masses.

جوري
01-08-2009, 01:44 AM
lol-- ok I can be game with that!

Woodrow
01-08-2009, 01:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
No, because I am of the opinion which errs on the side of caution thus advise against bike and horse riding (unless a side saddle is used for horse) for never-married sisters to save them from possible future repercussions, regardless of what you or anyone may say, a huge number of Muslims are not as well informed as you are, and their means of testing a certain something are limited to that one thing. and if need be I can get backing from Islamonline director and another man calling himself Dr. Arafat an associate of Dr. Naik, in their opinion, even though it is not a scientific test for that "condition", it is what is used by the masses.

Sadly this is true:

a huge number of Muslims are not as well informed as you are, and their means of testing a certain something are limited to that one thing
But you are right, in order to avoid possible future problems it is prudent for unmarried women to avoid riding horses. Then again to those who are more enlightened and have a better understanding of life it may not pose a future problem that is based on ignorance.

Woodrow
01-08-2009, 01:58 AM
Sort of off track but if I were to tell any of my Lakota friends out on the rez the reason unmarried women should avoid horseback riding, they would die laughing. The Lakota both boys and girls are riding horses before they can walk and that question has never come up.

Yanal
01-08-2009, 02:53 AM
Yes it's true what uncle Woody is saying actually I want Qiyamah to come fast.

aminahjaan
01-08-2009, 03:45 AM
I love horseriding! The Prophet (SAW) also told us to learn how to ride horses and if you think about it they were one of the main sources of travel in his time so I would think women did ride them. It's a good workout too. I've been doing it for a pretty long time.

doorster
01-08-2009, 08:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aminahgorilla
I love horseriding! The Prophet (SAW) also told us to learn how to ride horses and if you think about it they were one of the main sources of travel in his time so I would think women did ride them. It's a good workout too. I've been doing it for a pretty long time.
The Prophet (SAW) also told us to learn how to ride horses
you mean that it is Sunnat e waajab?
I would think women did ride them
I think eveyone is agreed upon that already

~Taalibah~
01-08-2009, 12:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aminahgorilla

and Allah swt knows best

If that comment was directed at me, then i protest.
I take a seriouse interest in learning about right and wrong, halaal and haraam as after all thhey are essentials of daily life. If i have replied to a post with 'fatwa' then, i have read and understood what it means from a relaible source. And if i'm not sure, i do say so and am subject to correction. Further i have never said that because of what i'm saying one must detremine it is haraam or wrong etc, just because i said it it is.

Woman definetely used to ride during those times. Yes.
Then too, at those time there wasnt need for full hijaab (cloak, niqaab) e.i it came later on?
There is many an argument on this issue, and id rather not bring them up, as i do not think i'm learned enough. Most ulama believe it fine for women to ride.

I mentined this here as this is a public forum, i myself was a dedicated horse rider and wanted to learn show jumping, professionalsm. I was shown this Hadith by somone and hence i had to berak out.
This is my choice, and if you say it is because of ignorance then thats your opinion.
I dont kbnow of another girl who has done the same as myslef. All still ride.

My reasonings are generelly based by what i'm tought, by my father or sheikh or what i read.

and how does that forbid a woman from riding a horse? We can not change, hasten or stop Qiyamah. The signs of it are warnings for us to be prepared.

Perhaps it can even be a Blessing that a woman warns us by being one of the signs.
What about children being disobident to parents?
Dancing, singing becoming frequent?

Generally as far as my limited knowledge goes, when something is said to be a sign of Qiyamah then it is not 'good'

As i said before this is my opinion. Please dont judge me by my reasoning and if you dont agree, say it, and correct me if i'm wrong.

Peace Out,:peace:

Woodrow
01-08-2009, 03:01 PM

What about children being disobident to parents?
Dancing, singing becoming frequent?

Generally as far as my limited knowledge goes, when something is said to be a sign of Qiyamah then it is not 'good'

As i said before this is my opinion. Please dont judge me by my reasoning and if you dont agree, say it, and correct me if i'm wrong.

While many of the signs of Qiymah are showing times of increased haram, that does not necessarily mean that in itself a sign is haram.

There can be many reasons, a woman riding a horse would be seen as a sign. What would be the events leading up to an increase of a women riding horses? Some possibilities:

1. Fleeing from war and destruction

2. Obsessive and flagrant display of wealth

3. Lewd behavior resulting in women rushing to men's houses

I do not know if those are the reasons why as qiymah approaches we will see women riding horses but just a thought. My point being I can not find any ayyat or hadith that says a woman riding a horse is haram.

Your opinion is not necessarily wrong. As an opinion we should examine it and see if it is supported by the Qur'an or the Ahadith. But, an opinion by any of us here, my opinion as well as yours is not tafsir and is not to be considered fatwa.

Opinions are good in that they encourage us to think and search. But, we must always be mindfull that some people may think we are making a statement of fiqh which I do not believe either you or myself is trying to do.

Just my opinion Astagfirullah

Opinions are not engraved in stone nor are they unchangeable we each have a right and duty to question each others opinions.

جوري
01-08-2009, 04:45 PM
If that comment was directed at me, then i protest.

wa3lykoum aslaam wr wb

The comment was more about a recent member who was banned (I will not mention names) but you may simply browse H&S to see such fatwas on not seeking medical attention when sick, or other sections to see fatwas on not riding cars, taking pictures, using toothpaste etc...

Doubtful matters are best avoided or sought help of a scholar, however, making prohibitions where none exist is another matter all together...

The Prophet (s) said: What is lawful is plain and what is unlawful is plain, and between the two are doubtful matters about which not many people know. Thus whoever avoids doubtful matters maintains clarity and assurance in practicing the religion and protecting his or her honor; but whoever falls into doubtful matters falls into the unlawful, like the shepherd who pastures his flock around a sanctuary, letting it graze almost but not quite inside. Truly every king has a sanctuary, and truly Allah’s sanctuary is His prohibitions. Truly in the body there is a morsel of flesh which, if it be whole, all the body is whole and which, if it be diseased, all of it is diseased, and truly it is the heart. [Bukhari and Muslim]

Thus, I meant you no offense, as evidenced by my comment to Br. Doorster though I don't agree with him 'I can be game with that' we are all ultimately responsible for our actions not for community efforts.

and Allah swt knows best

*Flossy*
01-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Well, thanks very much for all of your replies everyone!

Woodrow , i've noticed in some other posts that you've said you're a revert? Please correct me if i'm wrong... If this is so, I hope you don't mind me asking (and please just tell me to mind my nose if you do) but how long hve you been a revert? And how long did it take you to learn your arabic? :embarrass

Woodrow
01-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Well, thanks very much for all of your replies everyone!

Woodrow , i've noticed in some other posts that you've said you're a revert? Please correct me if i'm wrong... If this is so, I hope you don't mind me asking (and please just tell me to mind my nose if you do) but how long hve you been a revert? And how long did it take you to learn your arabic? :embarrass
I have only been a revert since March of 2005. I started learning Arabic in 1963 at the University of Rabat in Morocco. I have lived in North Africa and the Mideast several times. In the past while living there I spoke it very well, however after not speaking it for nearly 30 years I am somewhat in the stage of relearning. It has only been since reverting that I attempted The Qur'anic Arabic and my pronunciation is horrible. I still do every thing with a Moroccan accent. I sound a little like a camel coughing up a hairball.

*Flossy*
01-08-2009, 06:57 PM
I sound a little like a camel coughing up a hairball.
:giggling:

Wow!! All sounds very interesting! :coolious:

alcurad
01-09-2009, 02:32 AM
not to go off topic but:
حدثنا يحيى بن يحيى أخبرنا إبراهيم بن سعد عن بن شهاب عن عامر بن سعد عن أبيه قال قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم إن أعظم المسلمين في المسلمين جرما من سأل عن شيء لم يحرم على المسلمين فحرم عليهم من أجل مسألته

the prophet said: (( The Muslim who does the greatest wrong to his fellow Muslims is the one who asks about something that was not forbidden but it becomes forbidden for the Muslims on account of his asking about it )).

~Taalibah~
01-09-2009, 08:51 PM

While many of the signs of Qiymah are showing times of increased haram, that does not necessarily mean that in itself a sign is haram.

There can be many reasons, a woman riding a horse would be seen as a sign. What would be the events leading up to an increase of a women riding horses? Some possibilities:

1. Fleeing from war and destruction

2. Obsessive and flagrant display of wealth

3. Lewd behavior resulting in women rushing to men's houses

I do not know if those are the reasons why as qiymah approaches we will see women riding horses but just a thought. My point being I can not find any ayyat or hadith that says a woman riding a horse is haram.

Your opinion is not necessarily wrong. As an opinion we should examine it and see if it is supported by the Qur'an or the Ahadith. But, an opinion by any of us here, my opinion as well as yours is not tafsir and is not to be considered fatwa.

Opinions are good in that they encourage us to think and search. But, we must always be mindfull that some people may think we are making a statement of fiqh which I do not believe either you or myself is trying to do.

Just my opinion Astagfirullah

Opinions are not engraved in stone nor are they unchangeable we each have a right and duty to question each others opinions.

Too true, Uncle Woodrow. And interesting possibilities.:hmm:
My apologies if i've sounded harsh.:hiding:

~Taalibah~
01-09-2009, 08:56 PM
wa3lykoum aslaam wr wb

The comment was more about a recent member who was banned (I will not mention names) but you may simply browse H&S to see such fatwas on not seeking medical attention when sick, or other sections to see fatwas on not riding cars, taking pictures, using toothpaste etc...

Doubtful matters are best avoided or sought help of a scholar, however, making prohibitions where none exist is another matter all together...

The Prophet (s) said: What is lawful is plain and what is unlawful is plain, and between the two are doubtful matters about which not many people know. Thus whoever avoids doubtful matters maintains clarity and assurance in practicing the religion and protecting his or her honor; but whoever falls into doubtful matters falls into the unlawful, like the shepherd who pastures his flock around a sanctuary, letting it graze almost but not quite inside. Truly every king has a sanctuary, and truly Allah’s sanctuary is His prohibitions. Truly in the body there is a morsel of flesh which, if it be whole, all the body is whole and which, if it be diseased, all of it is diseased, and truly it is the heart. [Bukhari and Muslim]

Thus, I meant you no offense, as evidenced by my comment to Br. Doorster though I don't agree with him 'I can be game with that' we are all ultimately responsible for our actions not for community efforts.

and Allah swt knows best

Jazakallah!:)

*Flossy*
01-10-2009, 03:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
not to go off topic but:
حدثنا يحيى بن يحيى أخبرنا إبراهيم بن سعد عن بن شهاب عن عامر بن سعد عن أبيه قال قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم إن أعظم المسلمين في المسلمين جرما من سأل عن شيء لم يحرم على المسلمين فحرم عليهم من أجل مسألته

the prophet said: (( The Muslim who does the greatest wrong to his fellow Muslims is the one who asks about something that was not forbidden but it becomes forbidden for the Muslims on account of his asking about it )).
If this is directed at me I apologise but i'm not muslim, i'm hoping to possibly revert in the near future and was just asking about something I didn't know imsad

If i've got yhe wrong end of the stick though I also apologise :-[ :X

Snowflake
01-10-2009, 04:00 PM
subhanAllah, browsing through Bukhari the other day I was totally amazed to read these hadith. What better place to share them than here. Alhumdulillah, horses really are special creatures.

Volume 4, Book 52, Number 102:
Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar:

Allah's Apostle said, "Good will remain (as a permanent quality) in the foreheads of horses till the Day of Resurrection."
Volume 4, Book 52, Number 103:
Narrated Ursa bin ALGA:

The Prophet said, "Good will remain (as a permanent quality) in the foreheads of horses till the Day of Resurrection."

And narrated Anas bin Malik: Allah's Apostle said, "There is a blessing in the fore-heads of horses."

Volume 4, Book 52, Number 104:
Narrated 'Urwa Al-Bariqi:

The Prophet said, "Good will remain (as a permanent quality) in the foreheads of horses (for Jihad) till the Day of Resurrection, for they bring about either a reward (in the Hereafter) or booty (in this world."

Volume 4, Book 52, Number 105:
Narrated Abu Huraira:

The Prophet said, "If somebody keeps a horse in Allah's Cause motivated by his faith in Allah and his belief in His Promise, then he will be rewarded on the Day of Resurrection for what the horse has eaten or drunk and for its dung and urine."

SubhanAllah!

Woodrow
01-10-2009, 05:33 PM
If this is directed at me I apologise but i'm not muslim, i'm hoping to possibly revert in the near future and was just asking about something I didn't know imsad

If i've got yhe wrong end of the stick though I also apologise :-[ :X
I believe Brother Alcurad was directing that at some of us who should know better.

I believe you asked a valid question and deserve honest answers and if any of us answer with opinions we should specifically state it is our own opinion and if we are in error Astagfirullah (May Allaah(swt) forgive us)

AnonyMouse~
02-12-2009, 12:51 AM
I LOVE archery and horse backriding..i cant swim for anything =/

mazhar_majhu
02-12-2009, 02:37 AM
Asak
It is alowed in islam
Allah knows the best.....

Raizins
02-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Why wouldnt it be? :O I LOVE HORSEBACK RIDING. I thought it was sunnah to learn it, along with archery and swimming? Is wha I heard. ^__^

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.