/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I want to learn arabic! Where do i start?

سلثتحعرين!
01-07-2009, 11:38 PM
I honestly dont no where to start, i just want to be able to read first, then i can concerntrate on writing and speaking it.

Can anyone give me pointers on where to start?

Maby if you wrote down useful words, and sentences?

:sl:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
-Elle-
01-07-2009, 11:51 PM
it's a smart choice to start with reading first...because once you learn the letters(and how to pronounce them), then the writing will follow. In my opinion, the hardest part about learning how to read/write arabic is the fact that nearly every letter in the arabic alphabet has a different form in the beggining/middle/end of a word.

So basically, start learning the letters in the basic form, and their pronounciation.:)

Hope it helps!

Wyatt
01-08-2009, 01:07 AM
:w:

Here are some websites:

Writing and language lessons: http://www.madinaharabic.com/

Dictionary: http://dictionary.sakhr.com/

Another dictionary: http://www.tps.edu.ee/nastik/ar-en/

Good luck! :D

Woodrow
01-08-2009, 02:24 AM
Keep in mind the common spoken Arabic is not pronounced the same as the Beautiful Arabic of the Qur'an. You may want to learn Qur'anic Arabic first and then learn the daily colloquial Arabic. But for that decide which country dialect you want to speak.

I speak Moroccan Arabic and can not keep up a conversation with a speaker of any other dialect except with some Algerians.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
سلثتحعرين!
01-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Hi and thanks for the fast replys!

I have muslim friends so would like to be able to write to them?

And i think the egypt arabic would be a good choice before learning anything else as i am still stydying the qu'an.

Thankyou x

Woodrow
01-08-2009, 05:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by سلثتحعرين!
Hi and thanks for the fast replys!

I have muslim friends so would like to be able to write to them?

And i think the egypt arabic would be a good choice before learning anything else as i am still stydying the qu'an.

Thankyou x
:sl:

I have been told by many people that the Egyptian dialect is one of the closest to the Qur'anic. I know my Moroccan Dialect is probably about the furthest you can get and still call it Arabic.

The Strange thing about Arabic, while there are many spoken dialects, written Arabic is the same world wide. So while I can not understand the Egyptian dialect, I have no more trouble reading it than I have reading the Moroccan.

Arabic is a fascinating language, I hope you enjoy studying and learning it.

In my Moroccan:

Deekshee Mezzean (it is good)

سلثتحعرين!
01-08-2009, 07:43 PM
تحانك ثهو

I also want to learn the english version of arabic if that makes sence?

Woodrow
01-08-2009, 07:56 PM
تحانك ثهو

Oh, I think you mean the transliterations. that is Arabic written in English letters. It is a good start. but for most Arabic letters there are no English letters that are pronounced like them, So, learning the transliterations makes for very poor pronunciation.

Wyatt
01-08-2009, 08:00 PM
تحانك ثهو

-And the Arabic script is too beautiful to not learn! :D

Plus, learning a different language (especially fluently) in the latin script is most likely impossible unless it's originally written in it like Spanish, French, German, English, etc.

سلثتحعرين!
01-08-2009, 09:07 PM
I have the intentions to learn both.

I use a website though that doesnt allow arabic script so would be usefull to learn the other aswell. to talk away from prying eyes lol

Woodrow
01-08-2009, 11:27 PM
I have the intentions to learn both.

I use a website though that doesnt allow arabic script so would be usefull to learn the other aswell. to talk away from prying eyes lol
If you look at sister Houda~ post above.

You will find in her chart a column called value. Those are the English letters that approximate the Arabic letters. Those are what are often used in transliterations.

You will find many different spellings in the transliterations as in Arabic words quite often only the consonants are written, the vowels are kind of guessed at.

What makes Arabic writting difficult for beginners is the fact there are 7 commonly used alphabet styles and that each letter has up to 4 different shaped depending on where it is used in a word.

Don't let that intimidate you, just dive in. You will be surprised as to how fast you catch on.

I suggest you begin with the alphabet. With the most common used style. Here is a good practice site:

http://www.islamguiden.com/arabic/eindex.html

Wyatt
01-09-2009, 01:14 AM
http://www.geckil.com/~harvest/arabic/index.html

If you wanted to learn some Arabic with the alphabet English uses, this website might be useful. It seems quite a few page links use this rather than Arabic.

:shade: Good luck!

سلثتحعرين!
01-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks for your help. The only thing that confuses me is that there is no letter c in arabic alphabet.

So how do you spell words like cat, confused, crisps, car, camel etc

Pk_#2
01-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Thanks for your help. The only thing that confuses me is that there is no letter c in arabic alphabet.

There isn't?

What about Kaf and Qaaf?

There Yu are Yr very own C & K.

سلثتحعرين!
01-09-2009, 10:01 AM
I really must find a better website lol. There one i saw said there was no c. I could do with some childrens abc books on arabic really. lol

Pk_#2
01-09-2009, 10:04 AM
I really must find a better website lol. There one i saw said there was no c. I could do with some childrens abc books on arabic really. lol
Uh oh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI3oB...ext=1&index=15

Yu can't get Kidier than that^

Enjoy =D

http://alifba.tv/online/

*Yasmin*
01-09-2009, 11:32 AM
just to add there is some letters not found in english we write with numbers we use this way in writting phone msgs, e-mail...
like 2 - أ\إ
3 -ع
5- خ
6- ط
7 - ح

Wyatt
01-10-2009, 03:39 AM

Their alphabet is different from ours, so you will have to go by the 'sound' and not the letter. Their ك will work for that hard C sound (K).

Zamtsa
01-10-2009, 04:02 AM
Try the www.abdurrahman.org

Because in there syaikh Mahmud As Sukri taught Arabic from English. In Madinah Arabic Course 1, 2 and 3 specified for non Arabic speaking student in Durusul Lughati 'Arabiyyah Li Ghairin Naatiqiina Biha by Dr.Fuad Abdurrrahim.

Assalamu'alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh.

سلثتحعرين!
01-10-2009, 04:38 PM
حي ءان انثبهدث وندعرستاند تحيس؟

هر حاذع ي سپعللعد عذعرثتحينغ شرهنغ؟؟؟

KMA
01-10-2009, 04:42 PM
AoA

I can very much recommend the madinah arabic classes, online, ive used them and theyve started me off brilliantly.

Salaams

بنــuaeــت
01-10-2009, 05:16 PM
If you need anything in the Arab language

I am at your service

I speak Arabic

I'm from the country's Arab

Of the United Arab Emirates Dubai

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.