/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Missing Dollar

Al Qalam
01-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Three men, while traveling, decided to save money by renting one hotel room. The desk clerk informed them that the room was $30 per night, which meant that each man had to pay $10 for the room. After the men paid the clerk, they took the elevator to their room.

A few minutes later, the clerk discovered that the room for the three men would only cost $25 dollars, so he gave $5 to the bell hop to take upstairs to the men and refund them. On his way up in the elevator, the bell hop realized that the men had no idea how much they should be refunded, so he decided he would keep $2 and give each man back $1.

The Bell hop returned $1 to each man. This means that each man only paid $9 to stay in the room, which brings their total expense to $27. The bell hop kept $2, which makes the total $29. Where's the last dollar????

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
themuffinman
01-08-2009, 09:34 AM
i give up >.>

themuffinman
01-08-2009, 09:39 AM
oh wait the total expense of the room was not twenty seven dollars..it was 8 dollars and thirty three cents. it depends on which point of view u look at it from since we know the whole story we know the bellhop cheated and took the two dollars and only gave one dollar back. the men should have gotten one dollar and sixty seven cents back

Olive
01-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Lol... this is just so confusing! :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
01-08-2009, 09:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Qalam
Three men, while traveling, decided to save money by renting one hotel room. The desk clerk informed them that the room was $30 per night, which meant that each man had to pay $10 for the room. After the men paid the clerk, they took the elevator to their room.

A few minutes later, the clerk discovered that the room for the three men would only cost $25 dollars, so he gave $5 to the bell hop to take upstairs to the men and refund them. On his way up in the elevator, the bell hop realized that the men had no idea how much they should be refunded, so he decided he would keep $2 and give each man back $1.

The Bell hop returned $1 to each man. This means that each man only paid $9 to stay in the room, which brings their total expense to $27. The bell hop kept $2, which makes the total $29. Where's the last dollar????
It's only confusing because the last paragraph is designed to confuse the actual calculation:

The money was broken up like this:
$30 = $25 (paid to the hotel) + $2 (kept by the bell boy) + $3 (returned to the three men)

Or in other words:
$30 = $27 dollars ($25 + the $2) + $3 (returned to the three men)

(So the calculation $27 +$2 = $29 doesn't make sense at all. If you think about it, the $2 kept by the bellboy are included in the £27.)

It's a very simple maths question ... but put in a (deliberately) very confusion way.

Yanal
01-09-2009, 12:49 AM
the bell hop realized that the men had no idea how much they should be refunded, so he decided he would keep $2and give eachman back 1$.

The Bell hop returned $1 to each man. This means that each man only paid $9 to stay in the room, which brings their total expense to $27. The bell hop kept $2, which makes the total $29 Where's the last dollar??? It's in the mans pocket. You delibrately wrote 29. Only me and Glo figured it out and I'm only 13 unlike some people* zAk *

Woodrow
01-09-2009, 12:58 AM
Now if this story had taken place in a hotel I once stayed in it would read like this,

The Missing Dollar

A few minutes later, the clerk discovered that the room for the three men would only cost $25 dollars, so he kept $4 dollars and gave the Bell hop $1 to keep quiet.

The Bell hop went to the room while the men were out and stole the watch one of the men left. While he was in the room he dropped the dollar. The men returned and asked where did this $1 come from.

Yanal
01-09-2009, 01:02 AM
Nice one :D

Al Qalam
01-09-2009, 01:06 AM
Woodrow, I think we've been in this same hotel at one time or another.

Woodrow
01-09-2009, 01:10 AM
Woodrow, I think we've been in this same hotel at one time or another.
Quite possible. The clerk was a big fat guy in a torn tee shirt, hairy arms and MOM in a heart tattooed on his right forearm. The bell hop was a little skinny guy with a high pitched voice, wearing a dumb looking red cap with a chin strap and had very shifty eyes.

That the same place?

Al Qalam
01-09-2009, 01:19 AM
Definitely the same place. I'll never forget the sound of the broken air conditioner that kept clinking all night. At least it helped drown out the sound of the gang fiights in the parking lot.

Woodrow
01-09-2009, 01:25 AM
Did you trip over the wino passed out in the hallway as you tried to find your room?

Will never forget trying to find my room. I had room 17 only problem is it was on the third floor and between room 407 and 24 directly across from room 198. took me some time to find. Of course the elevator was broken and the hall lights were out, I think they were out, might have been just a very dusty light bulb.

alcurad
01-09-2009, 02:07 AM
lolz:)

Al Qalam
01-10-2009, 07:53 AM
Yes, I tripped over the wino, too. He also got very upset when I knocked over his tip jar. The complmentary continental breakfast was a bit disappointing, too. The Hostess Twinkie they gave me was made in 1964, and the Lime Kool Aid was a bit watered down...at least I think it was Kool Aid.

Woodrow
01-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Yes, I tripped over the wino, too. He also got very upset when I knocked over his tip jar. The complmentary continental breakfast was a bit disappointing, too. The Hostess Twinkie they gave me was made in 1964, and the Lime Kool Aid was a bit watered down...at least I think it was Kool Aid.
That was lime Kool Aide? I thought it was Prestone anti-freeze and put it in my car.

You were lucky and got the Twinkies. When I was there we got left over 1943 something or over, couldn't read the label except for the date.

glo
01-10-2009, 03:29 PM
^
LOL
What kind of hotels do you guys stay in???
Better to sleep in the car. Or bring a tent. :D

-Elle-
01-10-2009, 05:51 PM
LOL! Woodrow & Al Qalam you guys are hilarious!!!

Re.TiReD
01-10-2009, 05:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
That was lime Kool Aide? I thought it was Prestone anti-freeze and put it in my car.

You were lucky and got the Twinkies. When I was there we got left over 1943 something or over, couldn't read the label except for the date.

LOL ;D

Masha'Allah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.