/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is Harry Potter frowned upon?

Wyatt
01-12-2009, 03:38 AM
To someone who obviously doesn't believe in the magic portrayed in Harry Potter, is reading it still frowned upon in Islam?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
01-12-2009, 04:19 PM
It's frowned upon by certain Muslims, yes. But those certain Muslims frown upon many things.

سلثتحعرين!
01-12-2009, 05:40 PM
I love harry potter, ignore the magic side of it, its abot belief, friendship, corruption of government, war, death, loss, new life, and sacrifice, and so much more. I love the harry potter books because It shows that just because someones important doesnt mean they are right and good people.

And the fact he never strays from the path or gives up. And he always does what is right, NOT what is easy.

Hamayun
01-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Nothing wrong with reading a fictional story :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
KittyKat
01-12-2009, 06:01 PM
That is true isn't it? Harry always does stick to the straight path no matter how hard or the difficulties. Especially in the last book. Especially.

doorster
01-12-2009, 06:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Podarok
To someone who obviously doesn't believe in the magic portrayed in Harry Potter, is reading it still frowned upon in Islam?
short answer: yes! "And when they hear al-Laghw (useless or dirty or false or evil or vain talk etc.), they withdraw from it and say: 'To us our deeds, and to you your deeds".

Longer answer:

‘Harry Potter’ books and movies are all about magic and mythology, and that is why reading or watching them is to be avoided. There is almost a consensus among Muslim scholars that learning magic is haram. For sure, there are many useful books and movies to read and watch other than ‘Harry Potter’. The issue becomes more dangerous when parents allow their children to watch or read such stories as it may affect their creed in their earliest years.

Responding to the question, Sheikh Muhammad Al-Mukhtar Al-Shinqiti, Director of the Islamic Center of South Plains, Lubbock, Texas, states the following:

"Traditionally, there is almost consensus among Muslim scholars that learning magic is haram. They base their argument on the verse mentioning people who learn magic: “And they learn what harms them, not what profits them. And they knew that the buyers of (magic) would have no share in the happiness of the Hereafter. And vile was the price for which they did sell their souls, if they but knew.” (Al-Baqarah: 102)

According to the trustworthy people who read the works of “Harry Potter” it is all about magic and mythology. Therefore, I would not advise young people to read it or parents to give it to their children.

The attractive way in which these works are done is very dangerous and might negatively affect the basic concept of `aqeedah or Islamic creed and values of our youth. People of knowledge recognize the impact such artistic works might have on the mind and soul. The late well-known Muslim poet, Muhammad Iqbal, is quoted to have said: “Aridity of logic cannot overwhelm the beauty of poetry.”

Therefore, a Muslim is advised to stay away from these attractive but poisonous works."

You can also read:

Magic Shows to Entertain Children

How to Instill Islamic Manners in Children

Habituating Children to Reciting the Qur'an

Protecting Our Children from the Evils of Media

Necessary Tips for Raising Children Islamically

Films and Drama in the Islamic Perspective

Allah Almighty knows best.

for even loooooooonnger and confusing answers: Click >> here

UmmahFollower09
01-12-2009, 06:22 PM
I personally think there's nothing wrong with reading Harr Potter as long as you don't believe in the magic part.

The book exemplifies many things that are also exemplified in Islam like Hard work, determination and patience.

Its a really good book to read and the people who say that the book isn't are going a bit far .

doorster
01-12-2009, 06:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
Harry Potter is seen as dangerous for religious people (Jews,Christians and Muslims) because this book contains much occultist stuff and magical-pagan influences. You can see that there is no GOD in this book but magic,wizards, and often teenagers get interested in this things too.
why o why is it that I see more good sense in Christians, Buddhists and agnostic members than Muslim members?

Hamayun
01-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Like the Brother said. As long as you don't believe Harry Potter Magic to be true there is nothing wrong.

Muslim Scholars read the Ramayana, Bhagwat Gita etc so Harry Potter is pretty harmless in comparison.

doorster
01-12-2009, 06:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamayun
Like the Brother said. As long as you don't believe Harry Potter Magic to be true there is nothing wrong.

Muslim Scholars read the Ramayana, Bhagwat Gita etc so Harry Potter is pretty harmless in comparison.
which Muslim scholars? and for what purpose?

the only ones I knew who did that was either to "prove legitimacy of Islam" (as if Qura'an ain't enough) or to use it as a weapon to bash the kuffar in dumb debating matches

Hamayun
01-12-2009, 06:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
which Muslim scholars? and for what purpose?

the only ones I knew who did that was either to "prove legitimacy of Islam" (as if Qura'an ain't enough) or to use it as a weapon to bash the kuffar in dumb debating matches
They read it to gain understanding of the other religions so that it can help them draw comparisons.

Reading a fictional story and treating it as fiction is completely harmless.

Reading a story and believing in it can be harmful.

I have watched the Harry Potter movie myself and I can assure you it is completely harmless unless you are 3 years of age or are suffering from a mental illness.

Peace

سلثتحعرين!
01-12-2009, 06:51 PM
i believe no story should be taken to heart unless its based upon fact. The book is meant to be for entertainment and educational and some sorta warning to kids that not everyone is meant means well to you

doorster
01-12-2009, 06:51 PM
They read it to gain understanding of the other religions so that it can help them draw comparisons.

Reading a fictional story and treating it as fiction is completely harmless.

Reading a story and believing in it can be harmful.

I have watched the Harry Potter movie myself and I can assure you it is completely harmless unless you are 3 years of age or are suffering from a mental illness.

Peace
as Br. Woodrow might say: "less is more"; and since I've said enough in this thread already, I shall leave thee with some words from The Book of The(One)God:

"And when they hear al-Laghw (useless, dirty, false, evil vain talk etc..),
they withdraw from it and say:
'To us our deeds, and to you your deeds".

Keltoi
01-12-2009, 06:53 PM
I believe it to be more of a personal decision based on one's confidence in allowing a child to watch Harry Potter as a harmless diversion. I personally am not too troubled by it, but there are others who are. If a parent doesn't believe their child is intellectually developed enough to understand the ludicrous nature of the story then they probably shouldn't allow their child to get caught up in it. On the other hand, if the child understands it is simply a work of fiction and a pointless diversion from everyday life...why not. There are worse things out there than Harry Potter when it comes to children.

Hamayun
01-12-2009, 06:55 PM
"And when they hear al-Laghw (useless, dirty, false, evil vain talk etc..),
they withdraw from it and say:
'To us our deeds, and to you your deeds".
That was not in reference to a fairy tale my brother. That was in reference to the false religions people actually believe and follow.

Also there is no filthy, dirty talk in Harry Potter???

IslamicRevival
01-12-2009, 07:00 PM
As long as it isnt lke The Simpsons and Southpark which shows kids disrespecting their parents and other lewd comments I dont see a problem with Harry Potter.

doorster
01-12-2009, 07:01 PM
That was not in reference to a fairy tale my brother. That was in reference to the false religions people actually believe and follow other religions.
funny that! for I know ultra Saudis and their followers who used it to outlaw all types of Music using "useless talk" as their proof, first time ever I see it being used to describe other religions :D

I am hoping this will really be my last post in this thread:-[

edit: you have gone and changed your post, naughty!

you win (I surrender)!!!

Hamayun
01-12-2009, 07:07 PM
funny that! for I know ultra Saudis and their followers who used it to outlaw all types of Music using "useless talk" as their proof, first time ever I see it being used to describe other religions :D

I am hoping this will really be my last post in this thread:-[

If we are talking about banning "useless talk" then half the threads on this forum need to be deleted. Bro you seem to be taking it too literally.

You really need to relax a bit. Are you telling me you have never watched any movies? If you have then you better repent for the "usless talk" you indulged in.

Fishman
01-12-2009, 07:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Troubled Soul
As long as it isnt lke The Simpsons and Southpark which shows kids disrespecting their parents and other lewd comments I dont see a problem with Harry Potter.
:sl:
Southpark is pretty bad. The people who make it try to be clever, but it is all really about shock and controversy.

Plus, I notice that nobody has actually tried to post a real fatwa about this either. Usually we get one in the first few posts. Unfortunately finding real fatwas is hard on the internet...
:w:

doorster
01-12-2009, 07:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Southpark is pretty bad. The people who make it try to be clever, but it is all really about shock and controversy.

Plus, I notice that nobody has actually tried to post a real fatwa about this either. Usually we get one in the first few posts. Unfortunately finding real fatwas is hard on the internet...
wa alaikum Salam

in the link I posted, in my first post, there is one posted by Sr. Faiza as last post of one of many many many many many many harry potter threads

Watching & Reading “Harry Potter”: Permissible? - IslamonLine.net ...

‘Harry Potter’ books and movies are all about magic and mythology, and that is why reading or watching them is to be avoided. There is almost a consensus among Muslim scholars that learning magic is haram. For sure, there are many useful books and movies to read and watch other than ‘Harry Potter’. The issue becomes more dangerous when parents allow their children to watch or read such stories as it may affect their creed in their earliest years.

Harry Potter: Fun to Some, Dangerous Sorcery to Others ...

With fascinating characters, numerous plot twists, and an underlying theme of good versus evil, the Harry Potter books have enticed a young video and ...

Harry Potter Spreads Christianity - IslamOnline.net - News

Satellite?blobcolurldata&ampblobheaderimage2Fjpeg&ampblobkeyid&ampblobtableMungoBlobs&ampblobwhere1184236749550&ampssbinarytrue -
"There's plenty in the Harry Potter books to make young people think about the choices they make in their everyday lives and their place in the world," said Diocese of Oxford Bishop John Pritchard

IslamicRevival
01-12-2009, 07:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman

Salaam. Yusuf Estes has given a short but inspiring lecture on programmes like these. He says TV is allowed....as long as it isn't plugged in. SubhanAllah!

Unfortunately the video has been removed from youtube due to the copyright malarkey!

If i find the video i will post the link here

Wyatt
01-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Great, that's a relief then. :statisfie
I grew up with a Christian step-mother that freaked out when she saw I was reading Harry Potter. I had to hide it from her for years, until I was reading the fifth one and just didn't care what she thought anymore.

Like someone said earlier, there are worse things and I think caring more about a fictional, moral book than what other stuff children may get into is rather ignorant.

-And the magical world, animals, etc. are good things to broaden the imagination of anyone. And if one is religious, or even non-religious, then they will just need to remind themselves that it's not real. :D

As for anything godless, especially stories and movies, I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing. This is off the topic, possibly, but if someone bans other viewpoints from their children, it's disrespectful in my opinion. (Not that Harry Potter is a viewpoint on anything religious.)

Though, J.K. Rowling has said she does believe in God, though she has had trouble with it over the years (obviously if you learn about her personal history) as anyone else in the world has.

doorster
01-12-2009, 07:57 PM
I could have sworn that this here website was to promote Islam and not to sing praises of any other ideology
And the magical world, animals, etc. are good things to broaden the imagination of anyone. And if one is religious, or even non-religious, then they will just need to remind themselves that it's not real.

Wyatt
01-12-2009, 08:38 PM
I could have sworn that this here website was to promote Islam and not to sing praises of any other ideology
I don't see how that is praising another ideology. Where's the ideology in imagination?

noorseeker
01-12-2009, 08:45 PM
too many i thinks i feel , is halal , haram. We always look for 200 ways to get out of something

doorster
01-12-2009, 09:11 PM
I don't see how that is praising another ideology. Where's the ideology in imagination?
you asked "Is Harry Potter frowned upon?" you were given some (non-Islamic) opinions (based on their own likes) of persons populating this forum.

I gave you links and text showing that according to educated people of Islam:

‘Harry Potter’ books and movies are all about magic and mythology, and that is why reading or watching them is to be avoided. There is almost a consensus among Muslim scholars that learning magic is haram. For sure, there are many useful books and movies to read and watch other than ‘Harry Potter’. The issue becomes more dangerous when parents allow their children to watch or read such stories as it may affect their creed in their earliest years."

and you respond with:

Great, that's a relief then. :statisfie
I grew up with a Christian step-mother that freaked out when she saw I was reading Harry Potter. I had to hide it from her for years, until I was reading the fifth one and just didn't care what she thought anymore.

Like someone said earlier, there are worse things and I think caring more about a fictional, moral book than what other stuff children may get into is rather ignorant.

-And the magical world, animals, etc. are good things to broaden the imagination of anyone. And if one is religious, or even non-religious, then they will just need to remind themselves that it's not real. :D

As for anything godless, especially stories and movies, I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing. This is off the topic, possibly, but if someone bans other viewpoints from their children, it's disrespectful in my opinion. (Not that Harry Potter is a viewpoint on anything religious.)

Though, J.K. Rowling has said she does believe in God, though she has had trouble with it over the years (obviously if you learn about her personal history) as anyone else in the world has.
which means that you had no intention of finding out the Islamic viewpoint on the subject, rather you wanted validation of what you believed in already (or worse still you wanted to preach occultism by strategy)

Wyatt
01-12-2009, 09:35 PM
you asked "Is Harry Potter frowned upon?" you were given some (non-Islamic) opinions (based on their own likes) of persons populating this forum.

I gave you links and text showing that according to educated people of Islam:

‘Harry Potter’ books and movies are all about magic and mythology, and that is why reading or watching them is to be avoided. There is almost a consensus among Muslim scholars that learning magic is haram. For sure, there are many useful books and movies to read and watch other than ‘Harry Potter’. The issue becomes more dangerous when parents allow their children to watch or read such stories as it may affect their creed in their earliest years."

and you respond with:

which means that you had no intention of finding out the Islamic viewpoint on the subject, rather you wanted validation of what you believed in already (or worse still you wanted to preach occultism by strategy)
That was more in response to the many other islamic viewpoints that agreed with me that it's not a big deal. You seemed to be the only one that was anti-Harry Potter. At "‘Harry Potter’ books and movies are all about magic and mythology,..." it was evident to me that you probably have not read one to realize that the real point of Harry Potter is much more moral than magic and mythology. It says that in such an imaginary world, the problems of people are just the same as the people living in the real world.

How could I even be trying to preach occultism when the point I'm supporting is to expand the horizons of people's minds instead of keeping them shut in to one doctrine and banning stuff that can teach valuable life lessons? I'm not against Islam in the least or I wouldn't be on this board.

That's, at least, the way us agnostics believe. I'm sorry if I have offended you.

doorster
01-12-2009, 09:40 PM
That was more in response to the many other islamic viewpoints that agreed with me that it's not a big deal. You seemed to be the only one that was anti-Harry Potter. At "‘Harry Potter’ books and movies are all about magic and mythology,..." it was evident to me that you probably have not read one to realize that the real point of Harry Potter is much more moral than magic and mythology. It says that in such an imaginary world, the problems of people are just the same as the people living in the real world.

How could I even be trying to preach occultism when the point I'm supporting is to expand the horizons of people's minds instead of keeping them shut in to one doctrine and banning stuff that can teach valuable life lessons? I'm not against Islam in the least or I wouldn't be on this board.

That's, at least, the way us agnostics believe. I'm sorry if I have offended you.
That was more in response to the many other islamic viewpoints that agreed with me that it's not a big deal
there are no Islamic viewpoints that would agree with you for it goes against our creed/aqeedah
it's not a big deal
being on the correct Aqeedah (or attempt at deviation from it) is a huge deal
no problem there

Banu_Hashim
01-12-2009, 10:11 PM
I can assure you, anyone reading Harry Potter doesn't do it to practice pagan magic. It's simply a series of books that has an interesting story line with characters that people can relate to. That's why it's a popular series. Also, the theme of magic is what makes it a fiction. Hence, it's not real and Muslims and non-Muslims understand that. I've read Harry Potter and the Belgariad series by David Eddings which is about as magical as you can get.

I think some people are looking at these books in the wrong way, looking at everything in the worst possible scenario.

It's just a book!

Wyatt
01-12-2009, 10:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
I can assure you, anyone reading Harry Potter doesn't do it to practice pagan magic. It's simply a series of books that has an interesting story line with characters that people can relate to. That's why it's a popular series. Also, the theme of magic is what makes it a fiction. Hence, it's not real and Muslims and non-Muslims understand that. I've read Harry Potter and the Belgariad series by David Eddings which is about as magical as you can get.

I think some people are looking at these books in the wrong way, looking at everything in the worst possible scenario.

It's just a book!
And I think the ones doing so are the ones who have been too scared to pick up the book and read it or even watch a movie of it. :ermm:

doorster
01-12-2009, 10:24 PM

It's just a book!
and you have a Ph. d from? you must be more knowledgeable than all the people I quoted from, since you are, by implication, a bigger Aalim, I must ask you to read rule 18 then come back and provide evidence from Quran and Sunnat for your views

Banu_Hashim
01-12-2009, 10:32 PM
and you have a Ph. d from? you must be more knowledgeable than all the people I quoted from, since you are, by implication, a bigger Aalim, I must ask you to read rule 18 then come back and provide evidence from Quran and Sunnat for your views

Basically, your emphasising that people try to learn magic from Harry Potter. I'm saying that this almost never happens.

I agree learning magic is wrong and harmful for the soul. But seriously, Harry Potter in particular is just a story book. It has no evil intentions. It's just to read for enjoyment.

Woodrow
01-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Without trying to direct anyone to believe as I do and without expressing my own opinion I will just reply with some questions.

1. Is there any benefit to be found in the Harry Potter books?

2. Is the book a harmless distraction from reality, or an introduction into the occult?

3. Are there better books to refer a young person too?

doorster
01-12-2009, 10:34 PM

Basically, your emphasising that people try to learn magic from Harry Potter. I'm saying that this almost never happens.

I agree learning magic is wrong and harmful for the soul. But seriously, Harry Potter in particular is just a story book. It has no evil intentions. It's just to read for enjoyment.
can you show me where I emphasised that?:w:

Banu_Hashim
01-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Is that not your main objection to reading harry potter?

doorster
01-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Is that not your main objection to reading harry potter?
fear of corrupting the aqeedah (belief system) of children is my objection

Sheikh Muhammad Al-Mukhtar Al-Shinqiti, Director of the Islamic Center of South Plains, Lubbock, Texas, states the following:

".....

According to the trustworthy people who (have) read the works of “Harry Potter” it is all about magic and mythology. Therefore, I would not advise young people to read it or parents to give it to their children.

The attractive way in which these works are done is very dangerous and might negatively affect the basic concept of `aqeedah or Islamic creed and values of our youth. People of knowledge recognize the impact such artistic works might have on the mind and soul. The late well-known Muslim poet, Muhammad Iqbal, is quoted to have said: “Aridity of logic cannot overwhelm the beauty of poetry.”

Therefore, a Muslim is advised to stay away from these attractive but poisonous works."

Banu_Hashim
01-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Right, OK. That's fair enough. I didn't find it particularly damaging to my Emaan or aqdeedah, but there you are.

doorster
01-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Right, OK. That's fair enough. I didn't find it particularly damaging to my Emaan or aqdeedah, but there you are.
lololol! you had to have the last word, regardless!

like I said it before, repetitively, 'To me my deeds, and to you your deeds".

but if you want to promote an opinion or idea here as being compatible with the Muslim creed, then as per rule 18, provide evidence otherwise just say that it is what you personally like based on nothing but you own experience, logic and desires/likes/dislikes

BlackMamba
01-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Haha it's Harry Potter cmon guys there are SO many worse things that Muslims could and are doing than reading fiction books. Why focus on this. Yes, I guess you could make the argument that it is timewaster (laghw) and Allah tells us not to engage in those activities. But reading does have benefits, so I wouldnt consider it a timewaster. Playing halo or gta or fifa would be worse than reading harry potter. So people that consider it haraam also have to consder MANY more thingss haraam than the average Muslim would...like halo

Banu_Hashim
01-12-2009, 10:58 PM
lololol! you had to have the last word, regardless!

like I said it before, repetitively, 'To me my deeds, and to you your deeds".

but if you want to promote an opinion or idea here as being compatible with the Muslim creed, then as per rule 18, provide evidence otherwise just say that it is what you personally like based on nothing but you own experience, logic and desires/likes/dislikes
I'm afraid it's a habit :P. What is this rule 18? The bit that you quoted from the Sheikh?

doorster
01-12-2009, 11:00 PM
What is this rule 18?
LI Islamic Forum Rules

Wyatt
01-12-2009, 11:01 PM
:exhausted

So far, everyone on this thread who is a muslim and has read it agrees that it's not harmful at all, yet the only one who is against it has not read it and is using someone else's words to back up their objection.

Maybe if someone who has read it and still sees it as a dangerous book could answer, I could get some real conversation. :rollseyes

doorster
01-12-2009, 11:07 PM
:exhausted

So far, everyone on this thread who is a muslim and has read it agrees that it's not harmful at all, yet the only one who is against it has not read it and is using someone else's words to back up their objection.

Maybe if someone who has read it and still sees it as a dangerous book could answer, I could get some real conversation. :rollseyes
people are so flipin clever!

but they don't read the posts

are you trying to wind me up???

fear of corrupting the aqeedah (belief system) of children is my objection (I am 49 years old, and already have an idea about true and false Aqa'aid)

Sheikh Muhammad Al-Mukhtar Al-Shinqiti, Director of the Islamic Center of South Plains, Lubbock, Texas, states the following:

".....

According to the trustworthy people who (have) read the works of “Harry Potter” it is all about magic and mythology. Therefore, I would not advise young people to read it or parents to give it to their children.

Banu_Hashim
01-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Rule 18:

" 18. Do not say "Islam says X" unless your position is based upon sound evidence - which means the Qur'an and the Sunnah. Always cite your sources. If quoting the Qur'an, give soorah (chapter) and ayah (verse) number. For ahadeeth, you must the name of the collection, volume/book number and hadeeth number. Unless you quoting from an agreed-upon authenthic collection (i.e. Bukharee, Muslim) you must also provide authenthic information. "

Is there an Qur'anic ayat strictly prohibiting the reading of books of the nature of Harry Potter? Is it not open to interpretations by different scholars? There may be scholars who have said it's OK...

doorster
01-12-2009, 11:13 PM
I give-up!

it is so easy to promote any and every deviant idea under the sun but it is so very hard to post something based on Islam, I've wasted so many hours on here today without realising it. each time I tried to clarify something they came up with something else!

sad sad sad!

Wyatt
01-12-2009, 11:16 PM
people are so flipin clever!

but they don't read the posts

are you trying to wind me up???

fear of corrupting the aqeedah (belief system) of children is my objection (I am 49 years old, and already have an idea about true and false Aqa'aid)

".....

Yes, you've posted that plenty of times, but how could you be scared that it will corrupt children's belief system when you go by others' words that it will? The fraction of children that have gotten into actual magic most likely do not have religion in the family in the first place. Whether you believe it may be harmful or not comes from what other people say, and not your own experience reading it, right? If I'm totally misunderstanding you, then I apologize. :ermm:

Maybe I could ask you what in the books specifically may be dangerous to children's belief system or what in the books may give the children a harmful opposition to their own religion?

doorster
01-13-2009, 12:07 AM
oh you are beautiful! I am, henceforth, never uttering a word of complaint about you (intentionally), and I hope you will allow me to call you my Brother! jazakAllah khair wa salam wa janat!!!

Fishman
01-13-2009, 12:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Survivor
I have read the books and I did enjoy them. In hindsight though, I realise that they have content that is not compatible with Islamic values.

I don't know if they are explicitly considered haraam, but from what I know, a lot of scholars do frown upon Harry Potter (certainly the ones that I personally hold in good esteem). Obviously, we take our Islam from scholars and do not follow our own desires and if they feel uneasy about the contents of such books, surely they must have had some level of Islamically derived reasoning for such feelings.

Magic is considered to be one of the biggest sins a muslim can commit (yes, as muslims, we believe magic to be real). It ranks up there with shirk, murder and zina. Imagine a book that has teens going around committing zina, murdering people and worshipping idols, as though it was a good thing. Could we, as muslims, endorse such a book? Of course not. Why the different attitude to a book that shows magic in a positive light, when it is almost the same mountain of a sin, then? The point I'm making, is that most of us are willing to hold a double standard, even though the magnitude of magic as a sin in Islam, ranks nearly as high as shirk.

Anyway, this isn't just about Harry Potter, to me. In my view, muslim children ought to stay away and be kept away from ALL books and other forms of entertainment that have even the SLIGHTEST bit of haraam in them. Like for example, if not for magic, Harry Potter should not be read because of the "love" and dating themes in the books. Can a muslim afford to be lax about these things? This kind of stuff can and does affect the minds of so many teenagers. Behaviour of such a nature should NOT be seen as being the norm for muslims, we shouldn't want our kids growing up with fuzzy ideas of "love" floating around in their subconscious.

Is it any wonder why many young women and men "fall in love" and are willing to compromise their chastity so easily? Such crap makes our iman WEAK and leaves us open to the onslaught of Shaytan and leaves us more susceptible to his whispers.

If we keep our kids away from such thrash, they'd grow up with very minimal iman damaging influences. Such protection for our children is of utmost importance in this day and age, especially given that we are living so close to the time of dajjal, where a person will sleep as a muslim and wake the next day as a disbeliever.
Uh, what he said.

Wyatt
01-13-2009, 01:16 AM
I have read the books and I did enjoy them. In hindsight though, I realise that they have content that is not compatible with Islamic values.

If we keep our kids away from such thrash, they'd grow up with very minimal iman damaging influences. Such protection for our children is of utmost importance in this day and age, especially given that we are living so close to the time of dajjal, where a person will sleep as a muslim and wake the next day as a disbeliever.
Wow. :ooh: That was really nice. I see what you mean with the simple values not being compatible between Islam and the books, though that's entirely cultural as well. If one were to be raised in a non-muslim State, there would be an awareness of that 'young love' and the such anyway, so it would probably be hard to keep it all away. Though, the time of which they're living in the books, their hormones run loose just like every human at that age (along with the readers), so what if they have nothing to relate to while they are living in a country where they will inevitably encounter such perversion? How does one go about raising the young muslims, possibly readers of such novels, and ensure they don't lose faith and innocence?

Is keeping the access away from them necessarily a good thing since it may even alienate them from the world they're living in (be it in a State under a non-muslim rule)? Or maybe let them read it at an appropriate age where they're invulnerable to impression of such ideas and have had enough education to realize what everything is- or even use the books and other material to teach them about the importance of their faith? Of course, being raised with Islamic values and hopefully the ability to think for oneself, one may be able to know and not be when it comes to such values, do you know what I mean?

I'm confusing myself because it's kind of hard to say what I'm meaning. Sorry if this makes no sense. imsad

What do you mean by the time of dajjal, where a person will sleep as a muslim and wake the next day as a disbeliever?

That was a really helpful response, thank you!

سلثتحعرين!
01-13-2009, 01:27 AM
So your film base must be none existant then because you have to avoid films with slight nudity then. which rules out half the films in existance? and other fictional films that involve mythical animals and magic?

You cant have one without the other???

MartyrX
01-13-2009, 01:47 AM
I can understand why some people would shy away from it. However if you are strong in your belief than you should realize that these books/movies are just entertainment. It's all a work of fiction as are many things in this world. If you take these books as they are than you will be fine. The same way with children as they read these books. If parents would take the time to teach their children that this is fiction, and not to look too much into they will be fine. Of course not every child has the mental capacity to understand this. That would be why you would have to take extra special care that they have been properly instructed about these books.

Malaikah
01-13-2009, 02:08 AM
Magic is considered to be one of the biggest sins a muslim can commit (yes, as muslims, we believe magic to be real). It ranks up there with shirk, murder and zina. Imagine a book that has teens going around committing zina, murdering people and worshipping idols, as though it was a good thing. Could we, as muslims, endorse such a book? Of course not. Why the different attitude to a book that shows magic in a positive light, when it is almost the same mountain of a sin, then?
I think the mistake you are making here is that you are comparing the magic in the Harry Potter series, which is FAKE, to the magic that Muslims believe in, such as engaging with the jinn, which is REAL.

That is what I don't understand. The magic in the series is not real, unless someone is going to tell me that Muslim believe you can take a piece of wood, put a feather in it and you can do magic with it??

So how can something that doesn't exist be a sin?

doorster
01-13-2009, 02:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
I think the mistake you are making here is that you are comparing the magic in the Harry Potter series, which is FAKE, to the magic that Muslims believe in, such as engaging with the jinn, which is REAL.

That is what I don't understand. The magic in the series is not real, unless someone is going to tell me that Muslim believe you can take a piece of wood, put a feather in it and you can do magic with it??

So how can something that doesn't exist be a sin?
since when did saleh al-munnajad of islamqa stop being your fave scholar now?

well, I never!

format_quote Originally Posted by faiza
There is no such thing as good magic in Islam, and all forms of magic are haraam.

format_quote Originally Posted by islamqa
Islam does not forbid leisure or having fun in permissible ways. The basic rule concerning these games is that they are permissible so long as they do not get in the way of obligatory duties such as establishing prayer [i.e., praying properly and on time] and honouring one’s parents, and so long as they do not include anything that is haraam. There are, however, many haraam elements in these games, such as the following:

Games which depict wars between the people of this world (“good guys”) and people from the sky (“bad guys”), with all its implications of accusations against Allaah, may He be glorified, or the noble angels.

Games which involve sanctifying the cross or passing over or by it to gain strength, to bring one back to life or the give the player extra “lives” and so on. Also, games which are used for designing birthday cards as in Christian culture are also forbidden.

Games which approve of witchcraft/magic, and which glorify witches/magicians/sorcerers, etc.

Games which are based on hatred of Islam and Muslims, like the game in which a player gets 100 points if he hits Makkah, 50 points if he hits Baghdaad, and so on.

Games that glorify the kuffaar and show pride in belonging to them, like games in which if a player chooses an army belonging to a kaafir state he becomes strong, and if he chooses an army belonging to an Arab state he becomes weak. Also, games which teach a child to admire kaafir sports clubs and the names of kaafir players.

Games that include depictions of nudity, and some games that allow the winner to see a pornographic picture; games that corrupt morals, such as games where the idea is to run away with a girlfriend from the bad guys or a dragon.

Games based on ideas of gambling.

Music and other things that are known to be forbidden in Islam.

Physical harm, such as damage to the eyes and nervous system; harmful effects of game sounds on the ears. Modern studies have shown that these games may be addictive and harmful to the nervous system, as well as causing stress and nervous tension in children.

Making children get used to violence and criminality, and teaching them to take killing and murder lightly, as in the famous “Doom” game.

Corrupting children’s sense of reality by teaching them about a world of illusions and impossible things, such as coming back from the dead, supernatural powers that do not really exist, images of space aliens, and so on.

We have gone into details about some of the ideological dangers and things that are prohibited by Islam because many fathers and mothers do not pay attention to these things, and they bring these games for their children and let them play with them.
http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=2898&ln=eng&txt

Rule 14. Do not upload, post or otherwise transmit any contents that is unlawful (haram), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortuous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libellous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable.
simulated magic is cool then by that logic anything can be made cool (modesty forbids me from being explicit but I hope you get the point instead of carrying on useless vendettas for revenge or anyother puposes

Woodrow
01-13-2009, 02:39 AM
I wish we all could put this much effort into something beside a fictional character and theoretical practices or non-practices.

Enough has been written to use this thread as a referenc thread, no need for more posts.

:threadclo:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.