/* */

PDA

View Full Version : can women visit cemeteries?

Confused0122
01-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Salam,
I'm really confused about whether or not women can visit cemeteries. Different people say different things and according to the info on this site: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Islam-947...owed-visit.htm
In the beginning, the prophet s.a.w. forbade it but later on encouraged it as it would be a reminder to all the people of where they're from and where they're heading towards. I asked on an online fatwa site and they said women can go to cemeteries. I just realized that in Hajj they don't let women go to jannat ul Baqi, so what about that? In terms of being emotional, many men cry too when it comes to visiting cemeteries and such matters so I really don't understand why the prophet s.a.w. said that he curses women who frequently visit graves. Would anybody happen to know? Jazak Allah. Thanks.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Confused0122
01-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Some people say that the presence of women will tempt men but what I fail to comprehend is why any man in his right senses would even be in that frame of mind when they know that they're visiting a cemetery and people are upset as it is. The occasion of death should actually make his thoughts more humble and far from looking at women with bad intentions. Furthermore, I think most women would visit a deceased loved one's grave with their family, so there's no question of "temptation." If it were all revolving around temptation, then women wouldn't be allowed to do anything because they tempt men. My question is why men can't control their thoughts in the first place if Allah s.w.t. ordered them FIRST and told them to lower their gaze, THEN told the women about covering. Jazak Allah.

Civilsed
01-18-2009, 08:48 PM
:sl:

Visiting graves for women and men was prohibited in the early days of Islam. This was due to the fact that there were reasonable grounds for suspicion that the Arabs, newly converted to Islam and fresh from paganism, might associate the right to visit graves with grave worship rituals.

When the Islamic concept of Tawhid (Oneness of Allah) became deeply entrenched in the Islamic consciousness, there was no reasonable ground for such suspicions. Accordingly, the Prophet (peace and blessings be on him) lifted the above ban. He then went a step further by making grave visitations a recommended practice because of the associated benefits. He said: “In the past I have forbidden you from visiting graves, but now you may do so, for it might remind you of the next world.” (Reported by Ibn Majah)

Confused0122
01-18-2009, 11:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Civilsed

Visiting graves for women and men was prohibited in the early days of Islam. This was due to the fact that there were reasonable grounds for suspicion that the Arabs, newly converted to Islam and fresh from paganism, might associate the right to visit graves with grave worship rituals.

When the Islamic concept of Tawhid (Oneness of Allah) became deeply entrenched in the Islamic consciousness, there was no reasonable ground for such suspicions. Accordingly, the Prophet (peace and blessings be on him) lifted the above ban. He then went a step further by making grave visitations a recommended practice because of the associated benefits. He said: “In the past I have forbidden you from visiting graves, but now you may do so, for it might remind you of the next world.” (Reported by Ibn Majah)
I understand brother, but he specifically cursed women who frequently visited graves, not both men and women, so I'm still confused as to whether or not women can visit them lol. Thanks though =)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
jenwen74
01-19-2009, 01:14 AM
Salamoalikum
I have been thinking about this also. My father recently died. If i knew that i was not permitted to be there for my father at his grave, this would make me extremely distraught, and would actually affect my mind forever......
Do you really think that Allah wishes this sadness upon women?? No, i don't think so. Maybe the word curse is misinterpreted. Maybe he did'nt curse them in a bad way, or stop them, maybe he just reminded them that when we cry over a grave, the dead are aware of this and to try not to get too upset??? I am also guessing so sorry to waste your time.... but it would be lovely to know the real explanation.

alcurad
01-19-2009, 01:50 AM
women can visit the graves/cemeteries just like men, it was reported that Aisha visited her brother Abdur Rahman's grave, and Fatima visited her father, the prophet's grave after he died, and used to visit her uncle Hamza's grave as well.
the hadith mentioned is: إنّ النبي لعن زوارات القبور
which means the prophet cursed the women who visit the grave too often.
this is because it was the practice of the pagan arabs that the women would go to the cemeteries and start wailing and praising the dead ones.

Confused0122
01-19-2009, 02:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
women can visit the graves/cemeteries just like men, it was reported that Aisha visited her brother Abdur Rahman's grave, and Fatima visited her father, the prophet's grave after he died, and used to visit her uncle Hamza's grave as well.
the hadith mentioned is: إنّ النبي لعن زوارات القبور
which means the prophet cursed the women who visit the grave too often.
this is because it was the practice of the pagan arabs that the women would go to the cemeteries and start wailing and praising the dead ones.
Thanks bro. and don't be sorry sister. Anyway, I got an answer from a scholar saying that in the beginning it was prohibited but later on it was actually encouraged. He said women can go to cemeteries because theres a hadith on how a woman was by her son's grave and the prophet s.a.w. told her to be patient. If he didn't approve, it would have been mentioned in the hadith but it isn't so the scholar is saying women can visit graves. My dad questions this and wonders about why Aisha r.a. no longer visited the graves of the prophet s.a.w. and Abu Bakr which were in her room after Omar r.a. was buried there. I don't know why but I'm not sure if this has anything to do with women not going because the buried are not her mahram. Some people say that but it just confuses me because there are both men and women buried in a cemetery so that wouldn't make sense either.. If women are allowed then why aren't they allowed to visit jannat ul baqi? I'm just confused lol sry.

UmmahFollower09
01-19-2009, 03:03 AM

When I went to Hajj the women were allowed in Jannat ul Baqi...this was two years ago. I've never heard that before. If they're allowed at other grave sites then why not Jannat ul Baqi?

alcurad
01-19-2009, 04:25 AM
women can visit the prophet's grave in the nabawai mosque in Madinah, I'm not sure about the baqi3 although last time I was there, there were women as well as men. maybe the scholars there are of the other opinion.

Abu AbdulRahman
01-21-2009, 10:50 PM
The prophet ( peace be up on him ) cursed the women who visit cemeteries.. but Aisha visited the grave of her brother, and she follow the prophet one night when he visited the cemetery!!!

so the scholar collected these ahadeeth, and said: "women can visit cemeteries ONLY IF there is a need to do"

that is what I read from a books, but I don't remember exactly which book was it
may be it was "al-rouh" for "ibn-alqayim"

Allah knows better

Silver
01-22-2009, 05:31 AM
women can visit cemeteries ONLY IF there is a need to do
But when is there a need to visit cemeteries??

Abu AbdulRahman
01-22-2009, 09:57 AM
I research about this topic, and I found this site ( here )

if any one can translate it for our sisters it will be good

and may Allah forgive me if I made mistakes in my previous replay, but it was some thing I read before

Silver
01-22-2009, 10:09 AM
I can't translate all of it, it's too long but basically according to the article, women are allowed to visit cemeteries even the prophet's grave. If it was forbidden, then the Prophet (PBUH) wouldn't have let Aisha visit the cemetery.
But women should not go frequently like the women of Jahiliya did (the women of jahiliya used to go to cemeteries all the time to mourn), and that goes to men as well.

As for the Hadith: La3ana Allah zawwarat al koubour. There is a difference between zawwarat and za2irat. Zawwarat means the women who visit graves A LOT. Za2irat simply means visitors. The Prophet did not use the word za2irat, he used zawwarat.
So God curses the women who visit cemeteries all the time cos it's a practice from the days of Jahiliya.

Abu AbdulRahman
01-22-2009, 10:12 AM
nice sister.. you said all the article in few words
good done

Zamtsa
01-22-2009, 10:47 AM
And about what alcurad wrote also right there. Usually women like to lament at dead people, and Rasulullah instructed people to make a will that when he died that his family should not wail. About praising which was forbade by Rasulullah was praises which done inside a wailing action to somebody whose dead. Even Malaikat is angry to the dead person because of that while shouting "Is that what you are?"(Shahih, takhrij by Nashir Al Albaani).

And also about women who come to the grave at night, this was the habit which was forbidden as well.

Assalamu'alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.