/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How do we deal with too much information?

crayon
01-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Nowadays, information can be acquired by the click of a button, either from your TV remote control, or even more so, the internet.
We're constantly being bombarded with fact after fact, opinion after opinion...
Virtually anyone with a computer and internet connection can voice their opinions, thoughts, and beliefs.

With this constant influx of information, how are we supposed to figure out the truth? Separate fact from opinion?
Whether it's about religion, current events, science, or anything at all, how do we separate fiction from reality?
Especially when it comes to things that we know very little about.

For example, I would most likely be able to know whether a certain website was full of incorrect statements about islam, I would know that they weren't true.
But if a similar thing happened with a religion I know very little about, I would have no idea what to believe.

And like I said, this not only applies to religion, but every bit of information out there. The situation in Gaza, elections '08, stem cell research.

Is this better than before, when the government controlled most of the newspapers and TV stations, and used those as its propaganda machine.. or is it worse somehow?

Your thoughts?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Danah
01-19-2009, 06:13 PM
I dont think this is worse than before. In the past, governments were controlling most of the media and lead the people to hold a specific thought that fit their goals.

but at the same time this created a lot of contradiction among people as you said, everyone can write whatever he want, Internet is open to anyone, and its so easy for anyone want to post a fault fact to confuse people by since internet offer the anonymity feature.
seems to me that the best way to cope with such a huge amount of information is looking at the majority....like if I am looking for a specific thing that I dont know a lot about it, I will have first to look at more than one source which I thought that might be reliable sources. then look at things that most of these sources are agreed on.

this is the best thing I guess to deal with such huge amount of information

Muezzin
01-21-2009, 11:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
Nowadays, information can be acquired by the click of a button, either from your TV remote control, or even more so, the internet.
We're constantly being bombarded with fact after fact, opinion after opinion...
Virtually anyone with a computer and internet connection can voice their opinions, thoughts, and beliefs.

With this constant influx of information, how are we supposed to figure out the truth? Separate fact from opinion?
Whether it's about religion, current events, science, or anything at all, how do we separate fiction from reality?
Especially when it comes to things that we know very little about.

For example, I would most likely be able to know whether a certain website was full of incorrect statements about islam, I would know that they weren't true.
But if a similar thing happened with a religion I know very little about, I would have no idea what to believe.

And like I said, this not only applies to religion, but every bit of information out there. The situation in Gaza, elections '08, stem cell research.

Is this better than before, when the government controlled most of the newspapers and TV stations, and used those as its propaganda machine.. or is it worse somehow?

Your thoughts?
- Play Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty.

- Alternatively, watch this video and this video.

- Pay attention to the Patriots' plan.

- Stop your brain from exploding.

crayon
01-21-2009, 02:42 PM
At first I was wondering why you were trying to kill my brain cells.
Then, I must admit, it got quite interesting... thanks for posting it!:thumbs_up

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Al-Zaara
01-21-2009, 02:49 PM
Firstly, Allah knows best. Right and wrong, we can go and say it, think we're right, but the real deal, we'll get from Allah.

Read, read and read. Books, written by every side of the story possible. Widen your knowledge, be never satisified, because you cannot be satisified.

In the end, you do like humankind has done since... Sometime. You simply choose. Oh yes, you heard me. Choose yourself. Your mind is anyways selective, we cannot become hypocrites and say this is not the case, 'cause it is in most of our actions, either they are subconcsious or consious.

Secondly, keep an OPEN mind. Although you have chosen your opinion, keep an open mind. Do not get fanatic with your view. Do not go and hold so strongly on to something, that simply is POSSIBLE to be viewed otherwise. Defend your views, but do not go with your human soul go and send the rest ones to Hell, 'cause you can't. You never know when you'll have to change 'cause your convinced by other things. You have to be open-minded and accept, there are many opinions, many sides. Nothing is black and white, especially not when it includes humans, which are souls, which are beings with emotions... it is impossible.

And lastly, Allah knows best.

MO783
01-21-2009, 02:56 PM
:sl:

just take a bit of information by bit

Danah
01-21-2009, 04:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin

- Alternatively, watch this video and this video.
Interesting.... it gave me a lot to think about
thanks.

Abu AbdulRahman
01-21-2009, 10:06 PM
I deal with computer in one rule: DON'T BELIEVE, AND DON'T DISBELIEVE

I don't trust any thing in the internet world, so when I read any thing I must search on the trust-able books or persons

about Islamic information, the Islam is holy religion, so if we take it, we must take it from some one we can trust
and how can we trust that person if he wasn't an scholar "عالم"

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.