/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Imam Malik on Bid'ah

Ummu Sufyaan
01-27-2009, 09:46 AM
:sl:
(Attributed to Imam Malik, rahimahullah) From Shiekh al-Albaani's lecture "Hukm Al Ihtifaal Bil Mawlid Anabawi"
من ابتدع بالاسلام بدعة واحدة فقد زمع أن محمد خان رسالة
"He who innovates something in Islam while deeming it to be a good innovation has claimed that Muhammad has betrayed his trust to deliver the message"

And what is the Daleel (evidence) for this?

الْيَوْمَ أَكْمَلْتُ لَكُمْ دِينَكُمْ وَأَتْمَمْتُ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعْمَتِى وَرَضِيتُ لَكُمُ الأِسْلاَمَ دِينا
This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My favor upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion.(Al-Ma'idah: 3)

Just to get some idea on how serious this is, ill translate roughly how Shiekh al-Albaani was putting it:
Whoever initiates an act of Bid'ah in Islam-and here the Sheikh emphasis that it is only one Bidah-and sees it as something good has, claimed that Muhammad(صلى الله عليه و سلم) has betrayed his trust to deliver the message.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
KashifB
02-28-2009, 11:53 PM

I totally agree. I wish I could make my younger brother and mother understand this. I've tried, they don't understand imsad

May Allah subhanahu wata'ala guide us all. Ameen

Dawud_uk
03-01-2009, 04:57 AM

mashallah one of my favourite quotes, used to use this as my signature on personal emails when i used outlook in the past.

Ummu Sufyaan
03-15-2009, 12:55 PM
it just recently came to my attention that the contents in the first post isnt the completion of the Imam (Maliks) saying...

the full quote is meant to be:
Imam Malik said:
"Whoever introduces an innovation into Islam thinking that it is good is implying that Muhammad betrayed his mission, because Allah (SWT) says:

{...This day, I have perfected your religion for you...} (Qur'an 5:3)

So, whatever was not part of the religion on that day, cannot be part of the religion today."
Al-I'tisaam by Imam Ash-Shaatibi.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Uthman
03-15-2009, 01:20 PM
JazakAllahu Khayran. Indeed there is no such thing as Bid'ah hasanah (good Bid'ah) and the evidences are very clear on this.

mahdisoldier19
03-23-2009, 04:23 AM
Assalam Alaikam Rahmatullah Wabaraktu,

However the methodology of some of the so called today Salafiyyah that follow stating that those who are upon Bidah thats the reason why the Ummah is in disarray does not really answer the problems of the Ummah. And we are not to refrain from these people but expose that which is Bidah to them and bring them to the right seerat, not refrain from seeing them.

Dawud_uk
03-23-2009, 05:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mahdisoldier19

However the methodology of some of the so called today Salafiyyah that follow stating that those who are upon Bidah thats the reason why the Ummah is in disarray does not really answer the problems of the Ummah. And we are not to refrain from these people but expose that which is Bidah to them and bring them to the right seerat, not refrain from seeing them.
:w: wr wb,

people need to understand that although the boycotting of ahlul bidah is from the manhaj of the salaf there are reasons behind why they did it.

1. to protect yourself if you are not strong in the deen yourself. so if you dont have much ilm there is no harm in avoiding discussing matters with ahlul bidah otherwise you might too go astray, but this would be with their ulema not the general masses who are more ignorant today in matters of the deen than any time before.

2. to apply social pressure, so if a few people go astray by boycotting them you bring social pressure to bare to make them change inshallah. but if the vast majority of muslims have gone astray then what would be the point of such social pressure?

so in todays environment people who follow the manhaj of the salaf have little excuse to boycott people, there is no real reason for it unless it is a layperson avoiding a scholar of ahlul bidah to avoid being misguided.

mahdisoldier19
03-24-2009, 02:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk

people need to understand that although the boycotting of ahlul bidah is from the manhaj of the salaf there are reasons behind why they did it.

1. to protect yourself if you are not strong in the deen yourself. so if you dont have much ilm there is no harm in avoiding discussing matters with ahlul bidah otherwise you might too go astray, but this would be with their ulema not the general masses who are more ignorant today in matters of the deen than any time before.

2. to apply social pressure, so if a few people go astray by boycotting them you bring social pressure to bare to make them change inshallah. but if the vast majority of muslims have gone astray then what would be the point of such social pressure?

so in todays environment people who follow the manhaj of the salaf have little excuse to boycott people, there is no real reason for it unless it is a layperson avoiding a scholar of ahlul bidah to avoid being misguided.

Brother you mentioned not "Being strong in the deen", first i think if a Muslim is able to approach another Muslim who is following Bidah, i think the Muslim has knowledge on the issue of Bidah for the Muslim to approach otherwise why he confront him/her?

And i do not know what you mean by the other 2 paragraphs clarify InshAllah

Zafran
03-24-2009, 05:02 AM
Salaam

lets not forget about Imam Shafee on Bidaa

As-shafi says, " Bid'a is of two types: Praiseworthy (good) and blameworthy (bad), that which is agreeable with Sunnah that is good and that which is disagreeable with it is bad."

peace.

Uthman
03-24-2009, 07:41 AM
Wa 'Alaykum As-salaam
format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran

As-shafi says, " Bid'a is of two types: Praiseworthy (good) and blameworthy (bad), that which is agreeable with Sunnah that is good and that which is disagreeable with it is bad."
Imam As-Shafi'i said that there is such a thing as praiseworthy Bid'ah? Now I'm confused...:exhausted

:w:

Ummu Sufyaan
03-24-2009, 07:51 AM
@ zafran and Osman you guys may want to check this thread out..its long, but worth the read...

doorster
03-24-2009, 09:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
Wa 'Alaykum As-salaam

Imam As-Shafi'i said that there is such a thing as praiseworthy Bid'ah? Now I'm confused...:exhausted

Mohammed Ibn A'lan As Shafi [(who died in 1057 AH) is not same as Imam abū ʿAbdullāh Muhammad ibn Idrīs al-Shafiʿī (150 AH/767 AD - 204 AH/820 AD)] said it in Daleel al-falheen Vol. 1 P436- Dar al Kutb al Ilmiyya Cairo. Commentary of Riyadh ul Salheen

I think I am confusing myself because of so much rubbish being spread everywhere (maybe I'm talking rubbish in my confusion) therefore I've asked for a ban)

Ibn Abi Ahmed
03-24-2009, 02:59 PM

The quote by Imaam Malik is found in al-I'tisaam by Imam Ash-Shaatibi.

format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
Salaam

peace.

I think it's necessary that this statement is explained by none other than Ibn Hajar himself who clarifies that Imaam ash-Shafiee was speaking in terms of linguistics and not the shari'i definition:

Ibn Hajar on bid'ah as in 'Fath (13/314+) Kitaabul-I'tisaam, Chapter: Following The Sunan of The Prophet (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam).

"His saying, 'and the worst of matters are the newly invented matters….': …and muhadathaat means the newly invented matters that have no basis in the sharee'ah, and they are called according to the convention of the sharee'ah 'bid'ah', and that which has a basis in the sharee'ah that would prove it then it is not a bid'ah. So bid'ah in the convention of the sharee'ah is blameworthy in contravention to the language, for linguistically every thing that is newly invented, be it blameworthy or praiseworthy, is called bid'ah….and ash-Shaafi'ee said, 'bid'ah is of two types….' Reported by Abu Nu'aym via the route of Ibraaheem Ibn Junayd, and there occurs from ash-Shaafi'ee also what is reported by al-Bayhaqee in his 'Manaaqib', 'the newly invented matters are of two types…' end. And some of the scholars divided bid'ah into the five categories of ahkaam and this is clear. And it is established from Ibn Mas'ood that he said,'indeed you have matured upon the fitrah, but indeed you shall innovate, and things shall be innovated for you, so when you see the innovations then stick to the original guidance'….And Imaam Ahmad reported with a good sanad from Ghadeef Ibnul-Haarith who said, 'al-Malik Ibn Marwaan sent (someone) to me and he said: indeed we gather the people for two matters: raising the hands (for du'aa) upon the minbar on the day of jumu'ah, and giving exhortations after the fajr and 'asr prayers. So he said: as for these two, then they are examples of your innovations in my opinion and I will not accept anything of them from you because the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, 'a people do not introduce an innovation except that a sunnah the likes of it is raised (i.e. forgotten and neglected)' and sticking to the sunnah is better then introducing a bid'ah'. So if this was the answer of this Sahaabee concerning a matter that has a basis in the religion, then what do you think the case would be concerning a matter that has no basis in the religion?

And how about when it includes things that contradict the sunnah?….and this matter (of giving exhortations) was present during the time of the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) but it was not done constantly like the jumu'ah khutbah rather it was done as the need dictated.

And as for his saying in the hadeeth of al-Irbaadh, 'indeed every bid'ah is a misguidance' after saying, 'and beware of the newly invented matters' proves that newly invented matters are called bid'ah. And his saying, 'and indeed every bid'ah is misguidance' is a complete sharee'ah principle both in wording and understanding. As for in wording then it is as if it is said, 'the ruling of such and such is that it is a bid'ah and every bid'ah is a misguidance' and so it would not be from the sharee'ah because the sharee'ah, in it's totality, is guidance….and the meaning of his words 'every bid'ah is a misguidance' is that which has been introduced that has no evidence in either a specific or general way…..Ibn 'Abdis Salaam said at the end of 'al-Qawaa'id': bid'ah is of five classifications…[mentioning the five and some examples of them]"

[End of Ibn Hajar's words]

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.