/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Child Adoption forbidden in Islam?

Hamayun
01-28-2009, 07:38 PM
:sl: Brothers and Sisters,

I have heard the adopting a child is forbidden in Islam.

Is this true? If so what are the reasons?

Jazakallahu Khairan.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
wildkat
01-28-2009, 08:22 PM
Assalam, its not forbidden in Islam. Zaid bin Harith was the adopted son of the Prophet (SAW). Whats forbidden is changing the childs surname from its own to yours, which is why Zaid remained Zaid ibn Harith and not Zaid ibn Muhammad. And as soon as they are mature enough they must know you are not their biological parents

Also, its quite difficult adopting a child because for example with me, if I decided to adopt a boy, e will not be my mahram so I must cover in front of him even if Ive raised him for years... same if adopting a girl, her father will not be mahram to her. Hope that makes sense :)

- Qatada -
01-28-2009, 08:31 PM
:wasalamex

A person doesn't adopt a person in islam, in the sense that they don't get a child from another parent and say that its really their child. I.e. if you found a child called Abdullah, you couldn't adopt him and say he is now Abdullah ibn [son of] Hamayun. Instead, the child has to have the surname of his real biological father.

During the life of Prophet Muhammad, this was the case amongst the arabs. They adopted someone and called it theirs. i.e. Prophet Muhammad had a adopted son called Zayd, who was called Zayd ibn Muhammad by the people, until Allah forbade it [in the beginning verses of surah ahzab (33)] - so he was called Zayd ibn Harithah [the real father of Zayd.]

Fostering is allowed where you lookafter the child and provide for them, but you don't give them your name. Instead the child keeps their parents name and you bring them up. However, when they become mature [i.e. hit puberty] - they may be a non mahram, i.e. if you fostered a girl, when she hit puberty - she would be a stranger to you, you could potentially marry her [since she's not your real biological daughter] and therefore you can not see her except with full hijab etc. like any non mahram woman. The same with a fostered son being a non mahram for your wife - when he hits puberty.

This can be avoided though if the child is below 2 years when you foster them, in which the wife may give the child 5 full breastfeedings (so the child has 5 full milk meals and is full each meal). Then the child becomes your 'son/daughter' through the milk of breastfeeding, so when they grow older - they do not need to wear hijab infront of you. They are like a brother and sister to your biological children.

Also read;

An Adopted Child should be named after His Real Father
http://tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=33&tid=41259

Breastfeeding to make child a mahram

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/97087/breastfeed%20five

Allah knows best.

Zahida
01-28-2009, 08:58 PM
:sl: Very interesting thread. I have often thought of adopting a child......:w::)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Yanal
01-28-2009, 09:19 PM
It isn't because Prophet Muhammad(SAW) adopted one.

AhlaamBella
01-28-2009, 09:21 PM
The prophet SAW himself was adopted :)

syilla
01-29-2009, 06:50 AM
ooo...i never know u have to give 5 times breastfeeding... each must be full. i thought once is enough. or is this depends on madhab or there is khilaf anywhere.

north_malaysian
01-29-2009, 07:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
ooo...i never know u have to give 5 times breastfeeding... each must be full. i thought once is enough. or is this depends on madhab or there is khilaf anywhere.
once? is it... I've heard that it was three...

[PIE]d) Adapun andaian tertukar bayi ketika di hospital atau klinik adalah amat jarang berlaku. Dan jika ia benar-benar tertukar dan di luar pengetahuan ibu bapa. Maka anak pada hemat saya akan menjadi anak susuan, ia adalah kerana sudah pasti anak itu akan menyusu dengan si ibu tadi, dan dengan hanya 3 kali kenyang hasil dari penyusuannya, sabitlah status anak susuan. Manakala hubungan lain yang tidak diketahui, maka adalah dimaafkan. Sebagaimana hadith : " Diangkat tanggungan dari seseorang manusia kerana tiga perkara : Tidur sehingga bangun, Bayi sehingga baligh dan gila sehingga sedar". Maka bab tiada pengetahuan yang shohih dalam hal ini juga termasuk dalam hal di atas. Dan ia akan kekal demikian sehinggalah maklumat yang sebenar dapat diketahui

http://ratuhati.com/index.php/Artike...us-Anak-Angkat

[/PIE]

- Qatada -
01-29-2009, 05:30 PM
:salamext:

I think there's a difference of opinion on the amounts of breastfeedings.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.