/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Difference in dialects?

Samkurd
01-31-2009, 02:34 AM
Hey guys i recently started learning arabic through rosetta stone's online program. I find it strange some of the words they use for example:

Walada-ton for boy

Baytha-ton for egg

Why add the 'ton' on the end of the words? i grew up in a family learning iraqi dialect... what dialect is rosetta stone?

usually in myfamily they say "Bayth' for egg or "Walad" for boy

Thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Dawud_uk
01-31-2009, 02:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Samkurd
Hey guys i recently started learning arabic through rosetta stone's online program. I find it strange some of the words they use for example:

Walada-ton for boy

Baytha-ton for egg

Why add the 'ton' on the end of the words? i grew up in a family learning iraqi dialect... what dialect is rosetta stone?

usually in myfamily they say "Bayth' for egg or "Walad" for boy

Thanks
:sl:

but what is the ending? this is not a dialect difference but one of grammar.

as far as i am aware rosetta stone uses modern standard arabic.

Samkurd
01-31-2009, 03:32 AM
It just has a picture of a boy and of an egg with those words following it...

Singular and in no sentence

Dawud_uk
01-31-2009, 03:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Samkurd
It just has a picture of a boy and of an egg with those words following it...

Singular and in no sentence
it is perhaps used to explain to beginners that there are end vowels to words, even if normally you wouldnt pronounce them when singular or end of a sentence.

my arabic teacher only told us aboout this a few months into my course.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Silver
01-31-2009, 08:30 AM
In arabic a definite word has : ال in front of it.
Indefinite words have "Tanwin": thon, than, thin
Thon is used when the noun is "marfou3" ex: when the noun is a "fa3el"(subject) A boy hit me: ضربني ولدٌ

Than is used when the noun is "mansoub" ex: when the noun is a maf3oul bihi (object)
I ate an apple: أكلت تفاحةً

Thin is used when the noun is "majrour" ex: He lived in a big house كان يسكن في بيتٍ كبيرٍ

So indefinite words need a tanwin and definite words need ال. This is only used in classical arabic, in arabic dialects the tanwin is not used.

Gia
02-02-2009, 05:50 AM
Most dialacts do not use harakat at the end of words including tanween, instead they use sokoon so instead of saying Kitabon for book they say ktab.

It looks clear that the book you're using teaches classical Arabic, which I strongly recommend.

Walada-ton for boy
waladon = boy

walad = boy and when it comes in a word in as a subject "fe'l" then "tanween" is put at the end of it. It's masculine so the tanween should be "on" without the "t" which is used when a word ends in "ta'a marboota" i.e. in feminine words.

Baytha-ton for egg
baydah = egg

when it comes as a subject it turns to "baydaton".

what dialect is rosetta stone?
After some Google search I found that her books teach "Classical Arabic" which seems so convenient to me as dialects won't do anyone much when it comes to writing and reading.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.