/* */

PDA

View Full Version : a woman is married for wealth, why?

Ummu Sufyaan
02-01-2009, 09:48 AM
:sl:
genuine question: why is it that one of the reasons a women is married for her wealth (as is it is stated in the hadith) when it is upon her husband to provide for her :?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
02-01-2009, 12:36 PM
asalam alykum

A man may choose to marry a woman for her wealth, thats whats mentioned in the hadith, not that its an obligation.

Ummu Sufyaan
02-01-2009, 12:38 PM
wa alaykum us-Salaam

i do realize that its not an obligation. but why is it an option i guess when it is the husband that is obliged to provide...

i hope that makes sense....

Umar001
02-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem,

As-Salaamu 'Alaykum,

Maybe a guy would allow her to pay for things, because she can wave the rights as far as I know.

For example, could it be that a poor man marries a rich woman who will give up her rights when she wants and pay for herself?

Br.al-Habeshi

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Silver
02-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Not all men are perfect! There are a lot of men who marry rich women and the women provide for them!
There are also a lot of men who don't work while their wives do...it's wrong and unislamic but it happens!!

- Qatada -
02-01-2009, 03:10 PM
asalam alykum

Its to do with reputation too, or they might be happy to have a wife who has wealth incase they need it (in which case she can give money as sadaqah and get rewarded for that).

crayon
02-01-2009, 04:57 PM
He could be a gold digger...:X
A husband inherits 1/2 of his wife's money if she has no children or grandchildren, and a 1/4 of it if she does...

Of course we should assume that the person's intentions are pure, but I'm just sayin'...:hmm:

S_87
02-02-2009, 10:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed
genuine question: why is it that one of the reasons a women is married for her wealth (as is it is stated in the hadith) when it is upon her husband to provide for her :?
maybe because a woman of wealth would have been from a wealthy family and marrying into a wealthy family can be good for business too..

The Palestinian
02-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Sis, the prophet said this because he want to tell the men, if u married the woman for her money is not the right choice, because it doesn't last.
The husband is obligated to bring all his family need EVEN his wife is wealthy.
For me, I don't care wether she was rich or not, and also if im not the one who gave his family all they want and take the responsiblity then I'm not ready for marriage yet.
Finally, it's sharing between the two couples if she wanted to work with him it's ok, Islam is religion for life not to make our lives harder.
Thank u for ur question sis

Banu_Hashim
02-20-2009, 04:06 PM
I think basically it's just human nature for a woman to be married for four things, wealth being one of them. The hadith is stating why women are married or the factors that can be taken into consideration. The hadith then goes further to say "So you should marry the religious woman (otherwise) you will be a loosers." (Sahih Al-Bukhari)

Najm
02-21-2009, 12:35 AM
AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

I would like to share a couple of quotes, for the opening post....

A woman could be married for wealth if man is in poverty.....

"Marry those among you who are single, or the virtuous ones among yourselves, male or female: if they are in poverty, Allah will give them means out of His grace: for Allah encompasseth all, and he knoweth all things."
[24:32]

Wealth shouldnt be the only reason, as the hadith states "So you should marry the religious woman..." [Sahih Al-Bukari]

To add to that hadith, when selecting a bride....

"Whoever marries a woman solely for her power and position, Allah will only increase him in humiliation. Whoever marries a woman solely for her wealth, Allah will only increase him in poverty. Whoever marries a woman because of her beauty, Allah will only increase him in ugliness. But whoever marries a woman in order that he may restrain his eyes, observe cautiousness, and treat his relations kindly, Allah puts a blessing in her for him and in him for her."

And to add to that hadith, i found a long one with the same understanding.....

Ismaa'eel's Wife

Narrated by 'Abdullaah ibn 'Abbas:
"After Ismaa'eel's mother had died, Ibraheem came after Ismaa'eel's marriage in order to see his family that he had left before, but he did not find Ismaa'eel there. When he asked Ismaa'eel's wife about him, she replied, 'He has gone in search of our livelihood.'

Then he asked her about their way of living and their condition, and she replied, 'We are living in misery; we are living in hardship and destitution,' complaining to him. He said, 'When your husband returns, convey my salutation to him and tell him to change the threshold of the gate (of his house).'

When Ismaa'eel came, he seemed to have felt something unusual, so he asked his wife, 'Has anyone visited you?' She replied, 'Yes, an old man of so-and-so description came and asked me about you and I informed him, and he asked about our state of living, and I told him that we were living in a hardship and poverty.' On that Ismaa'eel said, 'Did he advise you anything?' She replied, 'Yes, he told me to convey his salutation to you and to tell you to change the threshold of your gate.' Ismaa'eel said, 'It was my father, and he has ordered me to divorce you. Go back to your family.'

So, Ismaa'eel divorced her and married another woman from among them (i.e. Jurhum).

Then Ibraheem stayed away from them for a period as long as Allaah wished and called on them again but did not find Ismaa'eel. So he came to Ismaa'eel's wife and asked her about Ismaa'eel. She said, 'He has gone in search of our livelihood.' Ibraheem asked her, 'How are you getting on?', asking her about their sustenance and living. She replied, 'We are prosperous and well-off (i.e. we have everything in abundance).' Then she thanked Allaah. Ibraheem said, 'What kind of food do you eat?' She said, 'Meat.' He said, 'What do you drink?' She said, 'Water.' He said, 'O Allaah! Bless their meat and water.'"

The Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam added, "At that time they did not have grain, and if they had grain, he would have also invoked Allaah to bless it."

The Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam added, "If somebody has only these two things as his sustenance, his health and disposition will be badly affected, unless he lives in Makkah."

The Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam added, "Then Ibraheem said to Ismaa'eel's wife, 'When your husband comes, give him my regards and tell him that he should firm the threshold of his gate.'

When Ismaa'eel came back, he asked his wife, 'Did anyone call on you?' She replied, 'Yes, a good-looking old man came to me.' And she praised him and added, 'He asked about you, and I informed him, and he asked about our livelihood and I told him that we were in a good condition.'

Ismaa'eel asked her, 'Did he give you any advice?' She said, 'Yes.' He told me to give his regards to you and ordered that you should keep firm the threshold of your gate.' On that Ismaa'eel said, 'It was my father, and you are the threshold (of the gate). He has ordered me to keep you.'"
[Saheeh al-Bukhari]

SubhaanAllah!!!

May we have the spouses with such exceptional qualities. Ameen

Allahu Alim!

FiAmaaniAllah

Malaikah
02-21-2009, 02:59 AM
The hadith does not say: marry a woman for her wealth.

The hadith lists a number of different reasons that men married a woman in Arabia at that time - he pbuh mentioned wealth, lineage, beauty and religion. And then he advised the men to marry a woman for her religion.

The hadith did not advice anyone to marry based on wealth.

zanjabeela
02-21-2009, 03:27 AM
I don't think Umm ul-Shaheed thinks that hadith says that should be married for their wealth. She's just asking why is that men would marry for wealth, why does the hadith have to tell them it's not something to do, when it's a given that the man must provide for the household? As in, isn't it a given that women should not be married for wealth, since their resources are not expected to contribute to the household expenses?

Umm ul-Shaheed, despite that hadith being so well known, we see it all the time that men marry a woman for her wealth...or if not solely for her wealth, then certainly it's one of the main criteria they look for. Why? It's the chasing after this dunya, whichever means there is to get it. When you look at the writings of the fuqaha, so many of them warn a man not to marry above himelf socioeconomically, and they give reasons why not. One reason is that a woman has every right to expect to be treated by her husband as she was treated by her father. At the same time, she has no obligation whatsoever to treat her husband to the lifestyle that her father gave her. A man marrying her expecting that he is going to get the benefits of that might be sharply disappointed. (And should be sharply disappointed, if you ask me!)

Another reason they do it is because the women and their families let them. For example, if a girl (or her family) has wealth, and her family is worried about her not getting married soon enough, it will be easy to marry her to a man with the promise of handing over some of the wealth to him. Why should a man say no, when the dunya glitters so brightly? It's a form of selling the woman...except that the wealth is going in the other direction.

I'm sure there are a few other reasons it's done...and boy, it is certainly done. Well, it's done out here in the States anyway, within the Indo/Pak community.

:w:

Ummu Sufyaan
02-26-2009, 05:56 AM
^nice post sis :)

barakallahu feekum...

-Elle-
02-27-2009, 01:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by zanjabeela

Another reason they do it is because the women and their families let them. For example, if a girl (or her family) has wealth, and her family is worried about her not getting married soon enough, it will be easy to marry her to a man with the promise of handing over some of the wealth to him. Why should a man say no, when the dunya glitters so brightly? It's a form of selling the woman...except that the wealth is going in the other direction.

I'm sure there are a few other reasons it's done...and boy, it is certainly done. Well, it's done out here in the States anyway, within the Indo/Pak community.

:w:
Wow, that is quite shocking, and truly angers me:raging:, but I do believe it happens. Sub7an'Allah..

Imam
03-19-2009, 09:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed
wa alaykum us-Salaam

i do realize that its not an obligation. but why is it an option i guess when it is the husband that is obliged to provide...

i hope that makes sense....
Peace

one point to be well taken ,

Though the hadith mentions what normally attracts man to woman for marriage,the facts mentioned by no mean to be specific to men ....it is for women too...

In other word the hadith is a message sent to not only men seeking women for marriage but women when get proposals of marriage of men....

not only men may be attracted to the beauty,wealthy,from famous family woman... but women may be attracted to the same ......

the talking of the prophet(peace be upon him) though about the women (as the listeners were his male companions) but should be understood to include the advice to women as well...

what was the advice_?
Is to make the basic criterion of the choice of marriage (whether man or woman) the religion factor (the righteous not the cute or the rich .....)

the prophet once prohibited women to make tatoos ,making eyebrows smaller....but what about men? it doesn,t need wisdom to understand it includes men too......

peace

Sahabiyaat
03-19-2009, 09:10 PM
cuz hes a goldigga :D ...sum people ask the silliest question....

yes please do go and delete my post :D

just for good measure ..

:D

Cabdullahi
03-19-2009, 09:17 PM
^
(gold diggers) = some women

(selfish)= some men

lets keep it that way

lets

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.