/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Modern knowledge contradicting the sunnah

Tariqa
02-07-2009, 04:01 AM
I have been studing things that modern people today call "new information".
If you know me by now you all may think i am very adament about the sunnah.

When i say the sunnah i mean things that the prophet did and he loves..

When i hear of things todayu that people, experts, say not to do that completly contradicts the sunnah, it makes me think, what happened to our religion..

For example, you may be able to tell i am big on hygiene and beatuifcation..

How ever modern standards of beatification is in contradiction to the sunnah. I have read some experts say that perfume is bad... Tottally and they say its better to just stay clean (whatever that means).. This is in dierect oppoistion to what the prophet loved... The prophet love teek and perfume.. But now are modern discoveries show that what the prophet may have loved is not the wisest of things to love..

There are more examples where people learn new things..

For instance through physchology many people say that jinns are not real but physcological voices in our heads..

With all these "discoveries" im wondered how much of it do we take and what do we actually leave for the sake of the sunnah?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
~SkYWaLkeR~
02-07-2009, 03:22 PM
assalamu alaikom,
I don't think you're very adamant about the sunnah brother..
A true muslim never doubts the prophet mohammad or allah after hearing something..
A lot of Rumors and myths are spreading in the world, i don't know if they are true or not, but a lot of them are not true.
You should be moderate in mostly everything you do in Islam and also you shouldn't be obsessed with stuff like this because rumors come and go, and you're faith should stay the same.
don't believe everything you here.

Dawud_uk
02-08-2009, 06:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tariqa

When i hear of things todayu that people, experts, say not to do that completly contradicts the sunnah, it makes me think, what happened to our religion..

How ever modern standards of beatification is in contradiction to the sunnah. I have read some experts say that perfume is bad... Tottally and they say its better to just stay clean (whatever that means).. This is in dierect oppoistion to what the prophet loved... The prophet love teek and perfume.. But now are modern discoveries show that what the prophet may have loved is not the wisest of things to love..

For instance through physchology many people say that jinns are not real but physcological voices in our heads..

With all these "discoveries" im wondered how much of it do we take and what do we actually leave for the sake of the sunnah?
for 1300 years the rest of the world thought the muslims crazy to say that humans are made from the male and female fluid, not just from the sperm, we went against such wisdom then and what happened they discovered microscopes and found themselves wrong once again.

modern knowledge often changes, year to year, decade to decade but the Quran and sunnah is from Allah and is always correct.

Tariqa
02-08-2009, 07:59 AM
if modern knowledge changes from year to year than should follow any of it since the sunnah is better?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummu Sufyaan
02-08-2009, 08:08 AM
:sl:
firstly, i think you need to expand on some of the things you mention in your posts and not "isolate" statements as to make it look like the person who said it can mean only one thing
for example:
But now are modern discoveries show that what the prophet may have loved is not the wisest of things to love..
saying that, may be saying something like "i hate all Arabs" but in reality this statement is aimed towards Arabs nowadays, or a certain group of Arabs, etc as opposed towards to the prophet, sallalahu aleyhi wa sallam.

how do you know that this person/people who say these things are directly intending them towards the sunnah. how do you know that this person does not know that the prophet sunnah was such and such?

So, one needs to think "outside the square", and be cautions and thoughtful towards the way the point things out, and not make sweeping generalizations, inshallah.

Dawud_uk
02-08-2009, 10:21 PM
if modern knowledge changes from year to year than should follow any of it since the sunnah is better?
see now that is going to the opposite extreme, muslims have always used knowledge and science around us, but the ultimate truth is known to Allah in every matter.

for example modern science tells us splitting the moon is impossible, well yes it is, other than by the will of Allah, hence why it is a miracle but do we doubt it just because modern science and wisdom says different?

Abdu-l-Majeed
02-09-2009, 01:29 AM
Science is one of the way which leads to the Qur'an. The Qur'an tells us to follow the Sunnah.

Questions:
1. Some scientists? So not all? Some "scientists" claim Allah doesn't exist, na'uzu billah.
2. Proof?
3. Which perfumes?

Proof? From the words of a psychologist?

Abu Hafs
02-09-2009, 01:38 AM
BismiLlah,

Assalamu 'ALaykum Wa RahmatuLlahi Wa Barakatuh,

My dear brother, whatever contradicts Sunnah ignore it and don't follow it. And if they tell us to do something opposing Sunnah then we throw it out of the window and forsake that not the Sunnah

rpwelton
02-09-2009, 01:42 AM
Tariqa, you must find and follow the true Islam, which is the middle way. Do not go to the extreme and isolate yourself from everything in this world, just as you would not go to the other extreme and be completely consumed by this world.

Woodrow
02-09-2009, 02:01 AM
The Sunnah tells us what the Prophet(PBUT) we know that those things are halal and preferred to be done.

Understood

Are they offering evidence that those things are now haraam?

Does that mean it is haraam? Perhaps in todays world the perfumes may not be the wisest choice in terms of modern day concepts. But, is it not wiser to do what is sunnah and have no concern over why some think it is not wise?

Putting my old psychologist hat back on for a moment. I do believe some people do "hear" non-existant voices. But, that does not mean Jinn do not exist nor does it prove that some people may have heard the voices of Jinn.

Unless somebody can give you absolute proof that it is haraam. We must follow the sunnah. Have no concern over new "discoveries" that seem to invalidate the sunnah.

Tariqa
02-09-2009, 07:09 AM
most of it is not proof but its what the siceintist say

like there is no proof that ciggerettes kill but studies show that it does..

and the scholars go by these studies but they are not facts

but when it comes to things agasint the sunnah now people want to throw it away..

subannallah

Abdu-l-Majeed
02-09-2009, 10:52 AM

but when it comes to things agasint the sunnah now people want to throw it away..

subannallah
What kind of a person are you, when you accuse our scholars of being hipocrytes?!

If it's not a proof, then that are a scientist's opinion. And as we see through the history really many of those opinions have less valuse then a dead donkey.

The scholars go by the words of our beloved Messenger SAWS who didn't spoke on his own, but it was everything a revelation from Allah: "There is no harm or causing of harm (in Islaam)." (Arabic "laa darar wa laa diraar") It doesn't have to kill you. It's enough that it harms you, and that's haram. More on reasons why smoking is haram: http://www.islam-qa.com/en/search/sm...AllWords/t,q,a

So, you got this one wrond. Now find us a study proving that perfumes, esactly those that the Prophet loved, are bad for our health. NOT the perfumes the disbeliever community uses, but exactly those which the Messenger SAWS used.

We're waiting.

Dawud_uk
02-09-2009, 11:19 AM

subannallah

how do you weigh evidences in your life?

for example, someone i dont know tells me something, do i trust them without any form of proof? even if i see proof i might not know the full picture and make a wrong decision.

this is what scientists do, they make educated guesses based upon the evidence they see and the best use of their ration.

now what is a better evidence than what man thinks he knows or thinks he sees and understands?

that is what Allah truly knows and understands as only he made us, made the whole universe and truly understands that. he knows the reality, we only can make educated guesses based upon our perception and ration.

so when Allah says x is bad for you, y is good for you, and science disagrees then the scientists are wrong, i have no doubt of that as the Quran has been proved to me beyond any doubt to be from Allah, our creator and if you question the judgement of Allah and his messenger and take the flawed opinion of man over that of Allah then you have taken these scientists and your own ration as partners besides Allah.

Woodrow
02-09-2009, 02:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk

how do you weigh evidences in your life?

for example, someone i dont know tells me something, do i trust them without any form of proof? even if i see proof i might not know the full picture and make a wrong decision.

this is what scientists do, they make educated guesses based upon the evidence they see and the best use of their ration.

now what is a better evidence than what man thinks he knows or thinks he sees and understands?

that is what Allah truly knows and understands as only he made us, made the whole universe and truly understands that. he knows the reality, we only can make educated guesses based upon our perception and ration.

so when Allah says x is bad for you, y is good for you, and science disagrees then the scientists are wrong, i have no doubt of that as the Quran has been proved to me beyond any doubt to be from Allah, our creator and if you question the judgement of Allah and his messenger and take the flawed opinion of man over that of Allah then you have taken these scientists and your own ration as partners besides Allah.

This deserves to be read more then once. Excellent points brought out. Especially:
and take the flawed opinion of man over that of Allah then you have taken these scientists and your own ration as partners besides Allah.
If it looks like shirk, sounds like shirk, and smells like shirk.........

Tariqa
02-09-2009, 03:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdu-l-Majeed
What kind of a person are you, when you accuse our scholars of being hipocrytes?!

If it's not a proof, then that are a scientist's opinion. And as we see through the history really many of those opinions have less valuse then a dead donkey.

The scholars go by the words of our beloved Messenger SAWS who didn't spoke on his own, but it was everything a revelation from Allah: "There is no harm or causing of harm (in Islaam)." (Arabic "laa darar wa laa diraar") It doesn't have to kill you. It's enough that it harms you, and that's haram. More on reasons why smoking is haram: http://www.islam-qa.com/en/search/sm...AllWords/t,q,a

So, you got this one wrond. Now find us a study proving that perfumes, esactly those that the Prophet loved, are bad for our health. NOT the perfumes the disbeliever community uses, but exactly those which the Messenger SAWS used.

We're waiting.
Its not proof??'

The smoking ciggerettes are not bad because there is no proof only evidence based on opinions right??

There are numerous studies proving that alcohl based perfumes are harmful..

I do not know what type of perfumes the prophet used but the experts say that all perfumes are useless because its not essential...

Completely contradicting the sunnah but there are more

i heard the scientist say studies have proved that if you cook beef in alcohol it makes it more healthy

does this sound like an opinion we should follow?

Woodrow
02-09-2009, 04:38 PM
It think the problem is getting hung up on the concepts of Good and bad and trying to equate all of the meanings to haraam and halal.

If pork were shown to be the healthiest food on earth, that would not mean it should be halal.

Halal and haraam are what is permitted and what is not permitted as ordained by Allaah(swt) We do not need to know the reasons.

Good and bad is a human concept and differs by findings and opinions.

rpwelton
02-09-2009, 05:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
It think the problem is getting hung up on the concepts of Good and bad and trying to equate all of the meanings to haraam and halal.

If pork were shown to be the healthiest food on earth, that would not mean it should be halal.

Halal and haraam are what is permitted and what is not permitted as ordained by Allaah(swt) We do not need to know the reasons.

Good and bad is a human concept and differs by findings and opinions.
I agree. Too often Muslims try to find reasons for everything Allah has prohibited, showing how it has negative effects. Some things have evidence in modern science, others don't at this moment in time.

We simply must put our trust in Allah and follow the guidelines He has set forth in the Qur'an and what is contained in the authentic Sunnah of Muhammad. To paraphrase Muhammad's last sermon: "follow these 2 things and you will never go astray."

Abdu-l-Majeed
02-09-2009, 05:23 PM
I didn't say cigarettes are not bad.

If you don't know what the Messenger SAWS used to do, how then can you say that the science contradicts his Sunnah?

In which way are they useless? When I smell a nice perfume, it makes me feel better. It's against the human nature to love something stinky.

The conclusion so far is: you didn't prove that the science contradicts the Sunnah. Furthermore, you obviously don't even know this part of Sunnah.

Completely contradicting the sunnah but there are more
Be my guest.

i heard the scientist say studies have proved that if you cook beef in alcohol it makes it more healthy
Again, be my guest. Please show that study so that I can see it.

It is Allah who forbade drinking alcohol? Do you who He is?

Mustapha@
02-09-2009, 06:07 PM

why do not you consider that modern knoweldge is false !!

First of all, Muhammed(pbuh) did not use the perfum of todays which is alcohol-based one. he(pbuh) used to use a perfum that is called in Arabic المسك "Al Misk" not like the current perfumes.

Second, If Jinn do not exist, why we find someone who is touched by the Jinn change his voice from a male voice to a female one, or the other way round for females...and in other cases the person who is touched by the Jinn speaks, for example, a language that he has never learnt...and what about the stories of people who say that they saw strange creatures, shall we call them liars? :)

and history has proven that there were many scientific theories than have been collapsed and succeeded by other ones....

so all what Muhammed(pbuh) taught us can not contradict true science. on the contrary, there were many teachings of Muhammed(pbuh) that have been confirmed by modern science. for example, Muhammed(pbuh) said that if a fly fell, for instance, in a cup of milk, you should drown the entire fly in that cup...and modern science discovered that one wing of the fly is poisonous and the other wing contains the medicine for that poison...and there are many other teachings that are confirmed by the modern science

:w:

Tariqa
02-10-2009, 06:07 AM
if the whole world tells us that alcohol is the cure to the newest death dealing disease would we take it or say its haram?

then why do we take modern scientific opinions as facts in the first place..?

Abu Hafs
02-10-2009, 06:09 AM
BismiLlah,

My brother, a good # of people are saying nowadays that there is no God, would you believe them?

If any scientific discovery contradicts the Sunnah then it's for sure wrong.

Dawud_uk
02-10-2009, 07:10 AM
if the whole world tells us that alcohol is the cure to the newest death dealing disease would we take it or say its haram?

there is a principle in the Quran and sunnah called necessity overruling prohibition.

that means even though it is haram to kill wild animals just for their furs, if you live somewhere extremely cold this rule no longer applies as without those furs you would die.

simularly alcohol has been used in medicines in the past amongst muslim doctors.

this doesnt change its position of being haram, only that to prevent death or serious injury it is permissable to do haram to avoid that.

nobody is saying dont take scientic proven points as facted, only that the ultimate truth belongs to Allah and just as many times in the past when these 'scientific truths' were known by all as being correct, we still said they were wrong and the Quran and sunnah correct.

for example, for hundreds of years the thinkers of the west said the world was flat, we said it is round and they laughed, should we have abandoned our ideas for theirs just because it is more prevelent?

or as already mentioned on embriology, we were laughed at for 1300 years until the microscope, science said we were wrong but we know Allah and his Rasool (saws) didnt lie so the scientists must be mistaken in this case.

Tariqa
02-10-2009, 07:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
there is a principle in the Quran and sunnah called necessity overruling prohibition.

that means even though it is haram to kill wild animals just for their furs, if you live somewhere extremely cold this rule no longer applies as without those furs you would die.

simularly alcohol has been used in medicines in the past amongst muslim doctors.

this doesnt change its position of being haram, only that to prevent death or serious injury it is permissable to do haram to avoid that.

nobody is saying dont take scientic proven points as facted, only that the ultimate truth belongs to Allah and just as many times in the past when these 'scientific truths' were known by all as being correct, we still said they were wrong and the Quran and sunnah correct.

for example, for hundreds of years the thinkers of the west said the world was flat, we said it is round and they laughed, should we have abandoned our ideas for theirs just because it is more prevelent?

or as already mentioned on embriology, we were laughed at for 1300 years until the microscope, science said we were wrong but we know Allah and his Rasool (saws) didnt lie so the scientists must be mistaken in this case.
so if scientist make mistakes then im sure theres no reason to listen to what they say anymore because they do not really know wnything much... right??

who cares what a scientist new studies shows... until its proven then we should not follow it...

ciggerettes... no harm because theres no proof right?

Ummu Sufyaan
02-10-2009, 07:52 AM

because a lot of them are legitimate and permissible...of course you ignore the ones that are haram, etc. but there are still alot of scientific knowledge that is still legitimate.

please be careful as to what you label as permissible or not. after all, you are propagating islam!

Dawud_uk
02-10-2009, 09:46 AM
so if scientist make mistakes then im sure theres no reason to listen to what they say anymore because they do not really know wnything much... right??

who cares what a scientist new studies shows... until its proven then we should not follow it...

ciggerettes... no harm because theres no proof right?
i dont feel you are actually reading what is being written here for your benefit.

i never said that, nor has anyone else. scientists try there best, often they are right but there is a better evidence, a better proof which overrides everything they say which is the Quran and sunnah.

Tariqa
02-10-2009, 11:59 AM
scientist are only rigth about the stuff the quran doesnt orrveride huh?

even if they have proof?

AabiruSabeel
02-10-2009, 01:08 PM

I would recommend to read these books:
Hayatus Sahabah (Lives of the Companions)

Islam and Modernism

The Authority of Sunnah

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.