/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A-Level Religious Studies

AhlaamBella
02-10-2009, 03:40 PM
:sl:

Anyone? Anyone as frustrated as I am when ignorent questions from students crop up in the Islam Unit???? :mad:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mikayeel
02-10-2009, 03:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by RoseGold

Anyone? Anyone as frustrated as I am when ignorent questions from students crop up in the Islam Unit???? :mad:

Yep i have them all the time, and its grrr..

This person 2 weeks ago in my lesson just said in class, i really do not like this idea of having 82 virgin women in paradise, its sooo sexist!

(wow the number of 'virgins' increase each time! Last time i checked it was 72!)
Such a silly comment! I just told her not to believe the media and to obtain her information from muslims, quran/sunnah. Then she said, but they get all funny like when i ask them about islam. By that moment i just knew she was in it to mock me!:'(

bewildred
02-10-2009, 04:22 PM
But may I object? We are Muslims. We are taught the precepts of Islam. One should not make fun of the ignorance of others. One must do all one's best to help those seeking knowledge. I must admit that some questions make us smile. However, one should never be arrogant or exuberant in front of corny questions.

AhlaamBella
02-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Woah sis, arrogance does not come into it.

Plus, how can one stay calm when the questions are posed such as; "are you lot allowed to eat chocolate? Coz u can't eat anything else."

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
02-10-2009, 05:21 PM

Just answer them calmly and as informatively as you can.

I know some people ask questions mockingly, and I know that's irriritating, but if we rise to mockery, the person goes away with their prejudices reinforced, unfortunately.

Mind you, if they're asking questions mockingly (i.e. they're looking for a fight rather than an answer), why are they studying A-Level R.S.?

AhlaamBella
02-10-2009, 05:43 PM
I get frustrated inside but do answer them. The other muslims in the class just take the mick saying things like "we can't eat jam either" or "we're not allowed on the train", The non-muslim girl in question has even said she trusts me to anser her questions truthfully and patiently. But inside I'm bloomin' screaming.

Yanal
02-11-2009, 03:06 AM
Its good and bad but at different times.Because these silly comments may be to us but maybe secretly they want to learn,and because of this they become a Muslim. What better is that?Having another person in Heaven with you:).

AhlaamBella
02-11-2009, 05:26 PM
On the whole I really enjoy Religious Studies. I thrive off the discussions we have, but that is why I get wound up when a stupid comment comes out and ruins it

Caller الداعي
02-11-2009, 05:58 PM
salams
i think this gives us a chance to reflect on the kind of comments our beloved prophet s.a.w was faced with by the kuffar and how Allah sent down revelation answering them....
فَلَا يَحْزُنْكَ قَوْلُهُمْ إِنَّا نَعْلَمُ مَا يُسِرُّونَ وَمَا يُعْلِنُونَ
76. So let not their speech, then, grieve you (O Muhammad ). Verily, We know what they conceal and what they reveal.

وَلَا يَحْزُنْكَ الَّذِينَ يُسَارِعُونَ فِي الْكُفْرِ إِنَّهُمْ لَنْ يَضُرُّوا اللَّهَ شَيْئًا يُرِيدُ اللَّهُ أَلَّا يَجْعَلَ لَهُمْ حَظًّا فِي الْآَخِرَةِ وَلَهُمْ عَذَابٌ عَظِيمٌ

176. And let not those grieve you (O Muhammad ) who rush with haste to disbelieve; verily, not the least harm will they do to Allah. It is Allah's Will to give them no portion in the Hereafter. For them there is a great torment.

AhlaamBella
02-14-2009, 04:09 PM
SubhanAllah that is so true ^^^^ :thumbs_up

To be perfectly honest I am enjoying the unit on Islam. It's refreshing to such truth in the mash of a college day :)

Nájlá
02-14-2009, 04:26 PM

am taking RS for A-level nxt year inshallah and i think it will go okay. and when these ignorent questions start to pop out the teachers always defend us muslims. lol. am okay with it though just answer them calmly. I actually like it when it comes to islam.

AhlaamBella
02-14-2009, 04:30 PM
lol good for you sis. I had R.S on Thursday. When we had to get on with our work I just put my headphones in and ignored everyone lol. . . needless to say I wasn't feeling very sociable :D

symori
03-02-2009, 05:39 PM
first time i hear there's such subject in A levels .

AhlaamBella
03-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Wow really? I had a lesson today and we covered Risalah and Books :)

Dawud_uk
03-03-2009, 04:37 AM

its your fault they don't know any better, well maybe not totally your fault but your fault, my fault, every other muslims fault.

"Invite to the Way of your Lord with wisdom and fair preaching, and argue with them in a way that is better. Truly, your Lord knows best who has gone astray from His Path, and He is the Best Aware of those who are guided."
16:125

This along with other evidences shows that da'wah is a fard duty upon every muslim who has even the smallest knowledge, sheikh bin baz clarifying that who doesnt know surah ikhlas and so who cannot call people to this is nothing else?

Allah also says in the Quran,

“Let there arise amongst you a group that invites to the good, orders what is right and forbids what is evil, and they are those who are successful.”
3:104

This shows that not only do we have an individual obligation to call people individually to Allah, but also a collective duty to do so as a community, a communal fard.

lets take for example leicester, here the people are often ignorant about islam, yet there are 40,000 muslims, they go to school with the non-muslims, work with them, live nearby, shop at the same supermarkets, is there really any excuse for the ignorance on the part of the muslims as to why these non-muslims are ignorant?

AhlaamBella
03-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Indeed? How would one be able to assume a non-muslim individual was under the illusion that muslims were forbidden to touch chinese people, eat jam and eat chocolate. You may laugh but those are the ignorent questions/comments I refer to in my first post

Muezzin
03-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Indeed? How would one be able to assume a non-muslim individual was under the illusion that muslims were forbidden to touch chinese people, eat jam and eat chocolate. You may laugh but those are the ignorent questions/comments I refer to in my first post
Seriously?

AhlaamBella
03-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Walahi bro. One does not know whether to laugh or cry.

Al-Zaara
03-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Honest? You sure he/she/it wasn't joking/acting/being sarcastic?

That makes me think how the heck that person got into A-studies.

Ah well. Maybe through this their knowledge will grow.

AhlaamBella
03-11-2009, 09:28 PM
No joke on her part sis. Utter sincerity

Al-Zaara
03-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Wow. Stupidity at its peak, that's amazing.

Some people here have never met any Muslims, but still know enough basic things and are confused about basic stuff, like also Muslims tend to be confused about. That girl needs some serious studying.

The Ruler
03-14-2009, 07:42 PM

From my GCSE RE days, when we studied the life of Yusuf Islam (I don't think that was in the syllabus, but we spent several days discussing his life anyway)... There was a girl in my class who (when no one had anything to say-- usually, no one does) raised her hand and said, "can I say sumfink, yea... I don't fink he should of conver'ed yea. He's bein' a trai'or. He's a trai'or yea. I don't fink he should abandon Christianity just 'cause he's bin to d-sea".

I was too perplexed at her outburst to say anything. And I believe the same goes for the rest of the class.

AhlaamBella
03-14-2009, 08:15 PM
LOL! Outbursts like that do sometimes add a bit of life to the lesson lol

The Ruler
03-14-2009, 08:23 PM
And my chinese friend was under the impression that heads are holy and that's why we cover them with our head scarves; thus she would never touch my head. Once she accidentally did; apologised and then asked, "can I?"

Musaafirah
03-14-2009, 08:28 PM
I was once asked by a Hindu girl whether we didn't eat pigs coz we worshipped 'em. :muddlehea
And by someone else, I was asked if I was Hindu...(Wearing Hijab and jilbab)

Ar-RaYYan
03-14-2009, 11:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The Ruler
And my chinese friend was under the impression that heads are holy and that's why we cover them with our head scarves; thus she would never touch my head. Once she accidentally did; apologised and then asked, "can I?"
lol :D

oh this reminds me of incident that happen back in primary school. I moved to this new area and start a new school and i was the only that wore hijab in my school and my class thought the reason i wore it was because i was bald and did not want to show anyone my baldness lol (although i did not know at the time) . Anywas a week later we had PE and as i was getting changed and took off my scarf the room noise quickly faded and every body was staring at me with their eyes wide and i waited few seconds and the girls were still staring at me with their shocked face until i said "what" and they were like
"oh OMG u have hair!! -why do you hide them?"

Muezzin
03-23-2009, 08:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The Ruler
Aww.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.