/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Star signs?

sevgi
02-12-2009, 02:28 PM
:sl:

I searched the forum for a thread of this nature but I couldn't find one.

I don't know if this belongs in here...but I guess it could be considered a science. In fact, I think it is...

Astrology and horoscopes have made me scratch my head a few times in the past and I've inquired but never really found a proper answer.

I know and believe that horoscopes are a dud. But what about star signs? They say that people of a certain star sign have certain attributes and that they get along better with people of another certain star sign etc. To this day, I have found all of that stuff quite accurate.

Does anyone know if there is any sort of Islamic recognition of this?

Jazakallah Khayr.

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S_87
02-12-2009, 02:43 PM
no there is no islamic recognition and star signs and horoscopes and astrology are all linked, infact it is all shirk and astrology is actually a branch or sihr.

Zodiac signs and astrological signs and Sun signs are terms which mean the same as star signs. Astrology signs and planet signs and birth signs are similar terms used by laymen; but these usually refer to Sun signs, which is the term commonly used by astrologers.
Strictly speaking, Signs are areas in space, or areas on the map of space called the horoscope chart (or birth chart) in which the Sun and Planets are positioned at various times.

sevgi
02-12-2009, 02:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
no there is no islamic recognition and star signs and horoscopes and astrology are all linked, infact it is all shirk and astrology is actually a branch or sihr.
Yeah I know they are tied together. Thank you :)

Shirk? What's sihr?

I'm not talking about horoscopes. Just the starsigns...

glo
02-12-2009, 02:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sevgi
They say that people of a certain star sign have certain attributes and that they get along better with people of another certain star sign etc. To this day, I have found all of that stuff quite accurate.
I think you might find that these things are circumstantial ...

I'm a scorpio, and I am supposed to get on well with taureans. Now, as it happens there are several taureans amongst my friends.
Does that prove the theory?
I think not! What about all those taureans I cannot stand the sight of??! :D

I am also supposed to be intriguing, mysterious, demanding, lonely, spiteful, vengeful, jealous :-[ ... are those not attributes which apply to all of us sometimes, but not to any of us all the time??

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
bewildred
02-12-2009, 03:01 PM
I think that Shirk is Blasphemy while Sih'r is magic.

S_87
02-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Yeah I know they are tied together. Thank you :)

Shirk? What's sihr?

the star signs are part of the whole astrology thing though..- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrological_sign

sihr= black magic

and yes all of this is shirk and there is no islamic basis to it at all

glo
02-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Shirk? What's sihr?

Shirk refers to "worshipping other than Allah, associating partners with him, giving his characteristics to others beside him, or not believing in his characteristics".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirk_(polytheism)

The equivalent term in Christianity might me idolatry (= giving importance to forces/objects/images/ideas other than God himself)

sevgi
02-12-2009, 03:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Shirk refers to "worshipping other than Allah, associating partners with him, giving his characteristics to others beside him, or not believing in his characteristics".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirk_(polytheism)

The equivalent term in Christianity might me idolatry (= giving importance to forces/objects/images/ideas other than God himself)
I know what shirk is..LOL. You are so sweet. Thank you :)

I'm asking what sihr is. Is it magic?

bewildred
02-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Sih'r is magic. I can't say black magic for I don't think there's white magic at all in Islam.

sevgi
02-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Ok, I don't know what just happened but I totally missed like all your posts!!

Sorry guys.

Ok, Glo, I have lived things which show me that they are not just circumstancial. Really, I wish I was totally against this stuff, but I can't help it.

I am a Taurean :) And well, yes, I know a scorpio when I meet one becuase I can sense this weird understanding. But I thought it was with the opposite gender. I don't know.

I know what sihr and shirk are. Thank you guys. Any proof as to why they are connected to star signs?

Güven
02-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Im sometimes scorpio and sometimes Libra(weighing scale) cause im born between them.

that just broke the whole star sign theory lol

its nonsense....

freshwayz
02-12-2009, 06:49 PM
شرك - Shirk is to associate anyone/thing with Allah in any way.

سحر - Sihr is the general term for witchcraft.

freshwayz
02-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Star signs and astrology have no place in Islam, as they are based on superstition.

S_87
02-12-2009, 09:41 PM

Sorry guys.

Ok, Glo, I have lived things which show me that they are not just circumstancial. Really, I wish I was totally against this stuff, but I can't help it.

I am a Taurean :) And well, yes, I know a scorpio when I meet one becuase I can sense this weird understanding. But I thought it was with the opposite gender. I don't know.

I know what sihr and shirk are. Thank you guys. Any proof as to why they are connected to star signs?
check this link out:
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/22445/star%20signs

freshwayz
02-18-2009, 02:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
Number 3 for astrology is major shirk not minor, the writer has made a typing mistake.

Al-Zaara
02-18-2009, 02:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I'm a scorpio
I'm a leo according to astrology! Ain't we suppoused to dislike one another's guts? ;D Haha

You know, if I remember correctly, a foreteller hears a truth mixed with one hundred lies from a jinn and tells it forward to the person asking... Maybe that's why astrology sometimes seems accurate... Ah whatever.

freshwayz
02-18-2009, 03:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
I'm a leo according to astrology! Ain't we suppoused to dislike one another's guts? ;D Haha

You know, if I remember correctly, a foreteller hears a truth mixed with one hundred lies from a jinn and tells it forward to the person asking... Maybe that's why astrology sometimes seems accurate... Ah whatever.
There's no foretelling at all, as for knowing things about the person; they don't know anything, except what you tell them basically (verbally or non-verbally). A friend of mine went a few times to one of these weirdos, and he actually thought that they can tell your future, and they know things about you "somehow". I decided that I would go with him at some point to remove that strange idea from his head. Aynway, the "foreteller"/astrologer did not manage to get even one small bit of information about me correct. As someone well educated in psychology of communication, I was not "communicating" (verbally/non-verbally) in any sort of way. For those of you who do not understand the concept of communication, this is very simple and is used all the time by the media to control people, even without the "people in control" seeing the "people being controlled" by them. Common means of this are things such as the common house televisions.

Anyway, he understood this idea once we had this incident with the "foreteller". I also demonstrated to him how easy it is to leech out information directly from someone without them knowing. This does not involve any "special powers" or anything, any human being with some basic understanding of this psychology can practice this with success. Jabir ibn Hayyan actually gave a great amount of information into the study of this psychology. He went several steps ahead into "calculating information about people". A very small part of this chapter also gives an explanation as to how one can calculate if someone is lying; this same principle is used to make lie-detector nowadays. So, you can see what a little bit of knowledge can be used to accomplish.

Al-Zaara
02-18-2009, 03:19 PM
^ I was referring to an hadith I read lightyears ago. I have attended some more in-depth psychology classes and I see what you're saying. They are all frauds basically, but as I said, I was remembering an hadith.

and people judge me on the number of males on my facebook and the way I am so comfortable with my expression on it.
People judge me on how I look. I don't see myself scratch my face because of that? Haha.. Nah, honestly, you made my friends list shorter. Like, hello! If that ain't an act of evil... :p

logic
02-18-2009, 07:43 PM
Assalamu Aleikum

Scientifically speaking, much like the moon has an attraction effect on the earth's water body (sea) thus causing tides, it can be inferred that the stars also have an effect on it (although to a significantly lesser extent).

Since humans are 70% water, is it not reasonable to assume there is a possibility however small of influence from the stars? Since the earth is surrounded by stars and planets, surely there must be some sort of influence?

I don't know the physics to be able to say exactly what the forces acting on us are. Incidentally our galaxy moves in a spiral pattern moving outwards away from the core of the milky way - this means that we are moving OUT of the astrological regions ascribed to our starsigns.

As an aside: I've noticed that the chinese star signs are more accurate than the western star signs.... But I'm not saying that I support any one of them. I like to amuse myself when I get the chance to see how far off they are...

aslm

syilla
02-19-2009, 03:10 AM
i'm a human...not a scorpio :p

waji
02-19-2009, 09:47 AM

I think you need to see
Abdur Rehman Green

Here he says Pakistan is not an Islamic Country and gives the reason

Uthman
02-19-2009, 01:48 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
I was referring to an hadith I read lightyears ago
Lightyears is actually a measure of distance, not time. Sorry, but it's true!

Muhammad
02-19-2009, 02:13 PM

I recommend you to read the following book called The Fundamentals of Tawheed by Dr. Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips, particularly Chapter 6, as it explains why astrology is not allowed in Islam and gives a history behind it aswell. You can download the book from here:

http://www.islamhouse.com/p/51847

Below are some extracts from the chapter for the benefit of members, as Tawheed represents the core of Islam and deserves that we study it to avoid falling into major mistakes.

This form of astrology is considered kufr (disbelief) because it destroys Tawhid al-Asma was-Sifat (the unity of Allah's Names and Attributes). Such beliefs give the planets, stars and the galaxies some of God's unique qualities, the most prominent among them being control over destiny (Qadar). Those who practice astrology are also in kufr because they claim knowledge of the future which is only known to Allah. By attributing to themselves some of Allah's divine qualities of knowledge, they falsely offer those who believe in them an opportunity to avoid harm that Allah has destined for them and to gain good that Allah has not destined for them. Astrology is also classified as haram (forbidden) based on the hadith of Ibn Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) in which the Prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wasallam) said,

"Whoever acquires knowledge of any branch of astrology, has acquired knowledge of a branch of magic. The more he increases in that knowledge, the more he increases in sin." (Abu Dawud and Ibn Majah)
[...]

The Islamic Ruling on Horoscopes

Not only is the practice of astrology haram as mentioned earlier, but visiting an astrologist and listening to his predictions, buying books on astrology or reading one's horoscope are also forbidden! Since astrology is mainly used for predicting the future, those who practice it are considered fortunetellers. Consequently, one who seeks his horoscope comes under the ruling contained in the Prophet's statement:

"The Salah of whoever approaches a fortuneteller and asks him about anything will not be accepted for forty days and nights." (Muslim)
As mentioned in the previous chapter, the punishment in this hadith is simply for approaching and asking the astrologist even if one is in doubt about the truth of his statements. If one is in doubt about the truth or falsehood of astrological information, he is in doubt about whether or not others know the unseen and the future besides Allah. This is a form of shirk because Allah has clearly stated:

"With Him are the keys to the unseen and none knows (the unseen) it except Him..." [Qur'an 6:59]

"Say: 'None in the heavens or earth knows the unseen except Allah...' " [Qur'an 27:65]
If, however, one believes in the predictions of his horoscope, whether spoken by an astrologist or written in books of astrology, he falls directly into kufr (disbelief), as stated by the Prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wasallam):

"Whoever approaches an oracle or fortuneteller and believes in what he says, has disbelieved in what was revealed to Muhammad." (Ahmad and Abu Dawud)
Like the previous hadith, this literally refers to the fortuneteller, but it is just as applicable to the astrologist. Both claim knowledge of the future. The astrologist's claim is just as opposed to Tawhid as the ordinary fortuneteller. He claims that people's personalities are determined by the stars, and their future actions and the events of their lives are written in the stars [...]

True Muslims are therefore obliged to stay far away from these areas. Thus, rings, chains and the like that have the signs of the Zodiac on them should not be worn, even if one does not believe in them. They are part and parcel of a fabricated system which propagates kufr and should be done away with entirely. No believing Muslim should ask another what his sign is, or attempt to guess his sign. Nor should he or she read horoscope columns in newspapers or listen to them read. And, any Muslim who allows astrological predictions to determine his actions, should seek Allah's forgiveness and renew his Islam.
May Allaah (swt) protect us from falling into such mistakes and guide us to be true Muslims, Aameen

^[AnKaBooT]^
02-19-2009, 02:28 PM
u shouldnt even look at astrology not even for fun.
i dont dare becuz its shirk meaning u associate partners with god.
I take it that by star signs u mean what the stars signal of a event or somthing like that.Prophets in Islam had star signs,eg Namrud(king nimrod) had a dream about Abraham and he asked his ministers about it and he was informed that Abraham was to be born on this day the star sign appears.
Same with Moses and Pharoah.
Abraham's star sign looked like a very bright star with many other stars surrounding it showing that the other stars were the other prophets that would be his descendants.

Again, i take it that by star signs u mean wat stars show

BTW

u should never read astrology for fun or have ur fortune told some one who tells fortune or has it told,
is in a major mistake!

Yanal
02-19-2009, 03:15 PM
Astrology or physco reading(palm reading) is haaram.

Woodrow
02-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Astronomy, the study of stars and planets is a legitimate science. Long ago developed by Arab Muslims primarily for navigation purposes. The names of nearly 80% of the visible stars and constellations are Arabic names.

Astrology can best be called stupidity. I doubt if even one astrologer even understands that the locations of the stars are not where we see them. the stars are so far distant that we are just now seeing the light that left them hundreds and even thousands of years ago. Some of the configurations probably never even existed as some of the distan stars may have been destroyed long before the light from it came into a visible configuration with closer stars.

Al-Zaara
02-19-2009, 08:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman

Lightyears is actually a measure of distance, not time. Sorry, but it's true!
Aleykum selam,

Aha, you are back. It is how the expression goes nonetheless. Go and fix the common phrase then, if you like.

Woodrow
02-19-2009, 09:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by logic
Assalamu Aleikum

Scientifically speaking, much like the moon has an attraction effect on the earth's water body (sea) thus causing tides, it can be inferred that the stars also have an effect on it (although to a significantly lesser extent).

Since humans are 70% water, is it not reasonable to assume there is a possibility however small of influence from the stars? Since the earth is surrounded by stars and planets, surely there must be some sort of influence?
Lots of people have thought that. The vast distances are inconceivable to even imagine. When we look at the stars we are not seeing the stars, we are seeing the light that left them years ago or even millions of years ago. We are so far from the closest star (after the sun) that each person on earth receives more gravitational pull from a grain of sand in Fiji then we get from the nearest star (after the sun).

logic
02-20-2009, 08:02 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
each person on earth receives more gravitational pull from a grain of sand in Fiji then we get from the nearest star (after the sun).
Fact or fiction?

Stars are a WHOLE lot more dense than grains of sand

doorster
02-20-2009, 03:34 PM

Fact or fiction?
could very well be a fact!

Physics 152: Gravity

more on tides

Woodrow
02-20-2009, 05:03 PM

Fact or fiction?

Stars are a WHOLE lot more dense than grains of sand
Fact

although it is possible to calculate the gravitational pull of Alpha Centuri on earth, it is much too small to be detected with any instruments.

Originally Posted by Mr. Hamtastic
Are you saying that gravity from Alpha Centauri is having an effect on me, similar to being close to a radio station and far from another on the same frequency? The pull of Earth's gravity is strong enough that Alpha Centauri's gravity, while there, is ignored?

Yes. Gravity is an inverse square relation, and G*Mα Cen/(4.37 light years)2 is a tiny, tiny, number: 1.5×10-13 m/s2. The perceived effect is even smaller than that, however, because the Earth is experiencing almost the exact same acceleration toward Alpha Centauri. When you subtract the Earth's acceleration to Alpha Centauri you are left with a paltry 4.810-23 m/s2 (or smaller).
Source: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=87320

Now for the numbers The star next closest to earth is Alpha Centuri (actually a 3 star system) it's distance from earth is 41,000,000,000,000 kilometres

Going in a straight line through the earth the furthest apart any 2 objects can be is the Earth's greatest diameter
which is: an insignificant (insignificant in terms of astronomical distances) 12,756 kilometers that is the furthest distance any 2 objects can be away from each other on earth (going in a straight line).

The formula for calculating the pull of gravity is:

Using a mass of .01 grams for a small grain of sand and a distance of 13,000 kilometers plugging the figures into the above formula and doing the math you will find the gravitational effect to be many times greater then what we get from Alpha Centuri calculated at 4.810-23 m/s2

saba muslimah
02-27-2009, 11:35 AM

Sorry guys.

OOpppsss. is that wrong...?? Means If anyone want to know about his/her stars... for juct jnformation not for belive...?? Dat is Wrong?

logic
02-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Fact
Using a mass of .01 grams for a small grain of sand and a distance of 13,000 kilometers plugging the figures into the above formula and doing the math you will find the gravitational effect to be many times greater then what we get from Alpha Centuri calculated at 4.810-23 m/s2
wow, very interesting

logic
02-27-2009, 12:27 PM
so technically that means that grains of sand in wherever have a bigger effect on the water in my body, and thus have a greater chance of affecting my mood/day/life than stars do.:smile:

Time to discard the astrological signs! bring on the Earth-Signs Of The Templar!

Therefore I hypothesize that one's moods/day/life are dependent on the land structure around you. if you live on a great big granite landmass you'll feel like a big lump-o-rock most days of the year, whereas if you life on a tropical island surrounded by water, you'll be happy and cheerful most days of the year!

What say you? :shade:

suffiyan007
02-27-2009, 01:01 PM
somehow astrology accurate in their clairvoyance..but somehow i know we cant believe all in the astrology reading,thus we must believe in Allah taala..

somehow the reading is true when read it in the mags,newspaper and etc...
i understand people calling horoscopes is shirk that against god....
but somehow like something connected between our birthday with others...birthday...whether compatible with anyone or not...

we can read the astrology as knowledge but not to believe the whole chapters of all astrology....but astrology started since muhammad saw time...the thinker of astrology like ibnu sina, and all the genius thinker...are real great in mathematics, sceince and etc...so i think astrology not that serious...we must know Allah taala always in our heart not to believe anything beside of allah...
:coolalien

nazish
04-02-2009, 08:25 PM

Star signs and astrology have no place in Islam, as they are based on superstition and shirq.

yasin ibn Ahmad
04-02-2009, 10:42 PM
السلام عليكم Sevgi,
Erzurumlu İbrahim Hakkı Hazretlerinin Marifetname isimli eserinde burçlarla(starsigns) ilgili bir bölüm olduğunu duydum.Bu zat güvenilir bir Islam alimiydi.Sanıyorum burçlara senin gibi bir bakış açısıyla bakmıştı.
wassalam

Yanal
04-03-2009, 02:27 PM
I think that is haaram because horoscopes and palm reading is like reading the future which you cannot find out until the right time therefore all of what you mentioned is all haaram I think.

Muhaba
04-03-2009, 09:28 PM
According to a book on psychology, astrology has no scientific validity.

Here are some objections to astrology: the zodiac has shifted in the sky by one full constellation since astrology was first set up. (In other words, if astrology calls you a Scorpio, you’re really a Libra, etc.

There is no connection between the “compatibility of couples’ astrological signs and their marriage and divorce rates.

Astrologers have failed to explain why the moment of birth should be more important than the moment of conception.

Studies have found no connection between astrological signs and leadership, physical characteristics, career choices, or personality traits.

Only a small percentage of predictions by famous astrologers have been fulfilled and these are usually vague (“there will be a tragedy somewhere in the east in spring”) or easily guessed from current events.

Astrology seems to work because perceptions are usually based on uncritical acceptance (the tendency to believe positive or flattering descriptions about yourself). Usually personality descriptions contain mostly flattering traits. Even when astrological descriptions contain a mixture of good and bad traits, they may seem accurate because they contain both sides of several personality dimensions (“at times you are extroverted…while at other times you are introverted”). Their apparent accuracy is an illusion based on the fallacy of positive instances, in which we remember or notice things that confirm our expectations and forget the rest. Psuedopsychologies thrive on this effect. For example you can always find “Leo characteristics” in a Leo. But if you looked, you could also find “Gemini characteristics,” “Scorpio characteristics,” etc. here is a sample personality profile:

You have a strong need for other people like you and for them to admire you. You have a tendency to be critical of yourself. You have a great deal of unused energy which you have not turned to your advantage. While you have some personality weaknesses, you are generally able to compensate for them. Your sexual adjustment has presented some problems for you. Disciplined and controlled on the outside, you tend to be worrisome and insecure inside. At times you have serious doubts as to whether you have made the right decision or done the right thing. You prefer a certain amount of change and variety and become dissatisfied when hemmed in by restrictions and limitations. You pride yourself on being an independent thinker and do not accept other opinions without satisfactory proof. You have found it unwise to be too frank in revealing yourself to others. At times you are extroverted, affable, sociable, while at other times you are introverted, wary, and reserved. Some of your aspirations tend to be pretty unrealistic.
(According to a study, only 5% of 79 college students who had taken a personality test felt that this description was inaccurate.)

Also, like the all-purpose personality profile, palm readings, fortunes, horoscopes, etc. are stated in general terms that can fit everyone. If you read all 12 daily horoscopes, you will find that predictions for other signs fit events as well as those of your own sign.
From Psychology – A Modular Approach to Mind and Body

Woodrow
04-14-2009, 02:53 PM
It is quite true the horoscopes are very generic and anyone can apply to anybody. They are written to be vague but essentially express thoughts and feelings shared by nearly every person.

burdenofbeing
04-14-2009, 05:34 PM
I understand how fortunetelling is shirk, but why would thinking birthdate of people to have an effect on their characters would be contradictory to islamic thought? does it also go for bloodtypes? names? genetics?

Woodrow
04-14-2009, 06:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by burdenofbeing
I understand how fortunetelling is shirk, but why would thinking birthdate of people to have an effect on their characters would be contradictory to islamic thought? does it also go for bloodtypes? names? genetics?
1. Star signs have no effect on your character. The associated traits for any sign applies to all people. If you read a Horoscope without the dates you would see how each applies to you. The assigning of dates only gives credence to the charaltan who promotes astrology and star signs and horoscopes.

2. By accepting star signs as truth you are giving a power to astrologers that they do not have. In other words you are promoting a lie.

3. To convince yourself that star signs affect your life, is denying the free will Allaah(swt) has given you. That is close to shirk, if not shirk as you are ascribing a power greater then Allaah(swt) to a falsehood.

burdenofbeing
04-14-2009, 06:14 PM
I'm not talking about horoscopes. That's fortunetelling as well. I'm talking about the traits the signs supposedly give you.

3. To convince yourself that star signs affect your life, is denying the free will Allaah(swt) has given you.

Interesting. Does this also apply to genetic traits? I don't see how being born with different character traits denies free will. Why would thinking birthdate affects personal traits, within the will of god be a shirk? I don't really understand it.

جوري
04-14-2009, 06:49 PM
It is a simple matter of why hand your fate to someone who will dictate to you how to live or what to expect.. I have dabbled in this when I was in high school and I believe I was punished for it; as the prediction of the woman came true and it was a negative one, the way I looked at it, is I deserved it for seeking that out..'seek and you shall find'
some of the more professionals of those folks use dark crafts and as mentioned in the Quran in doing so they cause them more harm. The rest just throw some crap out which I truly feel is a waste of ink and people's time.. also and Allah swt knows best your prayers aren't accepted for 40 days if you should seek the advise of one of those things..

and Allah swt knows best

Woodrow
04-14-2009, 06:57 PM
I'm not talking about horoscopes. That's fortunetelling as well. I'm talking about the traits the signs supposedly give you.

3. To convince yourself that star signs affect your life, is denying the free will Allaah(swt) has given you.

Interesting. Does this also apply to genetic traits? I don't see how being born with different character traits denies free will. Why would thinking birthdate affects personal traits, within the will of god be a shirk? I don't really understand it.
Genetic traits do determine our physical appearance and abilities. But our character and persona are a matter of our own choices. we develope a personality that reflects our life choices. our body is without our choice, but what we do with it and how we grow spiritually is the result of our own free will.

Star signs or our date, time of birth have no bearing on either our body or thoughts. Location and culture we are born into will have an effect on us, but we need not succumb to them if we take the time to seperate error from truth. again it comes down to our free will, but sadly many if not most people fail to exercise their free will and simply follow the choices of their surrounding family and peers.

burdenofbeing
04-14-2009, 07:01 PM
they may or may not have an effect on us. but the gist of my question is, why would this be considered shirk? as you've said we already have a lot of weight by genetics, and environment, and as you've said these don't challenge the notion of free will or islam.

Woodrow
04-14-2009, 07:49 PM
they may or may not have an effect on us. but the gist of my question is, why would this be considered shirk? as you've said we already have a lot of weight by genetics, and environment, and as you've said these don't challenge the notion of free will or islam.
There is often a very fine line between what is and what is not shirk. worship does not always have to be a prescribed ritual or act. It can be the simple believing that another power is equal to Allaah(swt). to believe that a force exists that can determine our will, seems very much like saying that there is a force that has powers only Allaah(swt) has. I see that very similar to ascribing an equal or partner to Allaah(swt) Just my opinion, and like always open for interpretation or disagreement. Astagfirullah

burdenofbeing
04-14-2009, 07:54 PM
I think this is being too cautious. If someone were to cut his hand with a blade by accident, and said, this "blade cut my hand" I wouldn't say "no, god cut your hand. the blade is nothing without his will"

I don't think believing birthdate having an effect on personality is a reason to be in shirk. not necessarily anyway.

Woodrow
04-14-2009, 08:24 PM
I think this is being too cautious. If someone were to cut his hand with a blade by accident, and said, this "blade cut my hand" I wouldn't say "no, god cut your hand. the blade is nothing without his will"

I don't think believing birthdate having an effect on personality is a reason to be in shirk. not necessarily anyway.
True, not necessarily shirk, but something that needs to be approached with much caution to keep it from becoming shirk. It was not that long ago that astrology was an important part of pagan religions it may be the wisest choice to avoid anything that could lead to shirk,

Tony
04-14-2009, 08:38 PM
If you read horoscope or read tealeaves or visit fortune teller you are being tricked, Allah alone knows what is coming, if you read horoscope etc your prayers are worthless for 40 days. Thats 40 days where if you die you will die in a state of having done a bad deed, when you are resurected you will be brought back in that state. comeon people we all know its wrong, Allah and our covenant with Him is enough. Leave guessing the future to the fodder of the hell fire

Tony
04-14-2009, 08:40 PM
i think this is being too cautious. If someone were to cut his hand with a blade by accident, and said, this "blade cut my hand" i wouldn't say "no, god cut your hand. The blade is nothing without his will"

i don't think believing birthdate having an effect on personality is a reason to be in shirk. Not necessarily anyway.
wake up

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-15-2009, 06:17 AM
Star signs can be impressive but they are so generalized.
Astrology is un Islamic. right?

Woodrow
04-15-2009, 06:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ATHEISTofPEACE
Star signs can be impressive but they are so generalized.
Astrology is un Islamic. right?
Although the early Arabs laid down the foundation of modern astronomy, astrology has always been a big no-no in Islam. (Astronomy and astrology are 2 seperate animals) Muslim history shows a strong usage of astronomy for things such as navigation and measurement, but never for fortune telling or deciding a persons personality.

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-15-2009, 06:42 AM
Although the early Arabs laid down the foundation of modern astronomy, astrology has always been a big no-no in Islam. (Astronomy and astrology are 2 seperate animals) Muslim history shows a strong usage of astronomy for things such as navigation and measurement, but never for fortune telling or deciding a persons personality.
Hahah I know. Actualy if it were not for Islamic scholars the Renaissance would never have happened.

FatimaAsSideqah
04-17-2009, 11:36 PM

Al-Bukhari said in his Saheeh: Qutadah said: “Allah created these stars for three purposes: to adorn the heavens, to stone the devils and as signs by which to navigate. Whoever seeks anything else in them is mistaken and does not benefit from them, and he is wasting his time and effort in seeking something of which he has no knowledge.” (Saheeh al-Bukhari, Baab fi’l-Nujoom, 2/240)

The belief that these stars have a real influence in the sense that they create events and evil. This is major shirk (shirk akbar), because whoever claims that there is another creator alongside Allaah is a mushrik in the sense of major shirk, for he is regarding a created thing that is subjugated as a creator which subjugates.

“Say: None in the heavens and the earth knows the Ghayb (Unseen) except Allah” (al-Naml 29:65)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.