/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Please Help?? Coursework! :(

al.Ghurabaa'
02-18-2009, 10:53 PM
:sl: everyone,

I am so stuck! Im doing my biology coursework, which is a report about whether 'moderate alcohol consumption reduces the risks of cardiovascular disease'. - or 'red wine reduces risk of CVD' :(imsad

I have to get two studies - one that proves it does reduce the risk, and one that says it doesn't. These two studies need to tell me how many people where involved, the method of investigation and the outcome, and preferably one with any graphs/charts..

I've tried really hard to find studies, but the ones I've found either does not tell me the method, or I can't get access to the article...imsad

Can anyone help? Does anyone have access to journals who can get one for me pleeasee?? Or does anyone know of any studies?

Jazakumullahukhairan,

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mikayeel
02-18-2009, 10:56 PM
:sl:

uhm do u do OCR AS biology?

al.Ghurabaa'
02-18-2009, 10:58 PM
Wa'alaikumisalam,

Nope, I do the Edexcel's SNAB (Salters-Nuffield Advanced Biology) course..

al.Ghurabaa'
02-18-2009, 11:21 PM
Or if no one finds anything, I'm going to change the title of my report, and base it on something else...

Any suggestions of what I should do? Shall I change it? Which will mean I will need to find another two studies..

Why does this have to be so hard?!:(

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mikayeel
02-18-2009, 11:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by al.Ghurabaa'
Wa'alaikumisalam,

Nope, I do the Edexcel's SNAB (Salters-Nuffield Advanced Biology) course..
wow is that some posh exam board (i know edexcel) but this salters and nuffield sounds very hard.

Well what are you good at? What do u like in biology? Since u can base it on anything right?

Intisar
02-18-2009, 11:25 PM
:w: www.pubmed.com is a good website for finding articles which contain studies, it really helped me a lot in Bio last year. :sunny: Some articles you might have to pay for though. :hmm:

al.Ghurabaa'
02-18-2009, 11:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mikayeel
wow is that some posh exam board (i know edexcel) but this salters and nuffield sounds very hard.

Well what are you good at? What do u like in biology? Since u can base it on anything right?
Erm, lol, I don't think it's posh.. but the exams are quite hard and twisted though.

Hmm...I wanted to do it regarding CVD, as I understand alot about that..

format_quote Originally Posted by Ameena*
:w: www.pubmed.com is a good website for finding articles which contain studies, it really helped me a lot in Bio last year. :sunny: Some articles you might have to pay for though. :hmm:
How do you get the full text? Like, I found this one, but it's just a summary:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...RVAbstractPlus

Mikayeel
02-18-2009, 11:49 PM
^

even though u do a different examboard it might b worthy of checking OCR's human health and disease books. Alof of books u can find.

They have lots about CVD.

Here u have one :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Biology-1-Ca.../dp/052178719X

I hope that will help, otherwise am sorry if i havent been of any help

Yanal
02-18-2009, 11:53 PM
Dont they give you books or some guidance on where to find the stuff.

Mikayeel
02-18-2009, 11:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
they provide u with notes (atleast down my college) but i find them rubbish, so i buy my own books instead :) (my spelling is getting there right? :p)

al.Ghurabaa'
02-19-2009, 12:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
Not for the coursework, we need to find the studies

Yanal
02-19-2009, 12:07 AM
Oh that must be hard and Brother Mikayeel 10/10.

Banu_Hashim
02-19-2009, 12:14 AM
Ach- OCR is by far the hardest/rubbishest exam board for Biology. Anyways... I suggest you change the topic to something that is easier to find articles for or is well known and available. Check your library. Silly OCR make everyone do the same thing.

Mikayeel
02-19-2009, 12:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
Ach- OCR is by far the hardest/rubbishest exam board for Biology. Anyways... I suggest you change the topic to something that is easier to find articles for or is well known and available. Check your library. Silly OCR make everyone do the same thing.
no, i am actually doing OCR, it is in fact the best (in my opinion) :)

Plenty of text books out there, the exams are structured very nice and clear.

Banu_Hashim
02-19-2009, 12:53 AM
no, i am actually doing OCR, it is in fact the best (in my opinion) :)

Plenty of text books out there, the exams are structured very nice and clear.
welllllllllll... if you say so :p How did you find Central Concepts in Jan? It was easier than I expected, Alhamdulilah.

Mikayeel
02-19-2009, 12:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
welllllllllll... if you say so :p How did you find Central Concepts in Jan? It was easier than I expected, Alhamdulilah.
it was a nice paper, i didn't do as well as i could of though. Cuz i left to america for my sisters wedding in the holidays

I need an A in that paper, and i feel i have scored a D/C. Soo i will have to resit that paper :)

Banu_Hashim
02-19-2009, 01:00 AM
it was a nice paper, i didn't do as well as i could of though. Cuz i left to america for my sisters wedding in the holidays

I need an A in that paper, and i feel i have scored a D/C. Soo i will have to resit that paper :)
I'm sure you did fine InshAllah. Did you resit any AS? I retook foundation... and that was quite easy. Hopefully I got an A InshAllah.

al.Ghurabaa'
02-19-2009, 02:22 PM

Alhamdullilah, I've found two studies..

One is a meta-analysis: http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/bmj%3b319/7224/1523

The other is the primary study itself: http://eurheartj.oxfordjournals.org/...t/29/2/204.pdf

Which do you think would be better to use?

Jazakumullahukhairan

Banu_Hashim
02-19-2009, 02:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by al.Ghurabaa'

Alhamdullilah, I've found two studies..

One is a meta-analysis: http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/bmj%3b319/7224/1523

The other is the primary study itself: http://eurheartj.oxfordjournals.org/...t/29/2/204.pdf

Which do you think would be better to use?

Jazakumullahukhairan

Wow. MashAllah, good find. To be honest, both are excellent in terms of the layout of the study; aims, method, results, conclusions and limitations. Both the BMJ and the European Society of Cardiology are equally respectable peer-reviewed journals. Personally, I find the "Moderate alcohol intake and lower risk of coronary heart disease" study a little more interesting.

But, it's totally up to you.

Hope it all goes well, and let us know what you get on it. :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.