/* */

PDA

View Full Version : If the original Quran didn't have

Follower
02-27-2009, 02:47 PM
vowel points, why add them later?

Is there a quran in existance today that does not use the diacritics?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
doorster
02-28-2009, 01:13 AM
to enable correct reading/pronunciation by non-native speakers

Trumble
02-28-2009, 01:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Follower

I don't read Arabic, but I do read Greek where diacritics were also added at a later date. I suspect the reason is the same, the written script without them gives insufficient information regarding pronunciation. I would have thought that was particularly relevant to the Qur'an as, while correct pronunciation is very important, most muslims will be unfamiliar with it when they first begin to study it?

جوري
02-28-2009, 01:43 AM
as bro doorster states it is more to help non native speakers of Arabic..

I can recognize this

whether written as above without the diacritics in any fashion actually

or

and yes the earliest Quran is still in existence today

http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Quran/Text/Mss/

also with so many haifth in the world as the Quran is an oral tradition, many know everything chapter and verse without having to look at the book at all..

hope that answers your q's

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
02-28-2009, 02:35 AM

At the time the Qur'an was revealed Arabic was still an oral language. written Arabic was just begining and in it's infancy. The Qur'an was not revealed in a written form it was revealed orally.

the written Qur'an was written phonetically as how it sounded. This is a case where the written form adapted to meet the phonetic pronunciation. The diacritics became necessary to keep the pronunciation accurate as the original hafiz began to die off.

Follower
03-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks.

It seems that this addition would have been considered changing Allah's words. Was there a struggle as to allow or not allow the vowel points to be added?

I know there has been a struggle about the translations, is it still Allah's word or not?

doorster
03-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks.

It seems that this addition would have been considered changing Allah's words. Was there a struggle as to allow or not allow the vowel points to be added?

I know there has been a struggle about the translations, is it still Allah's word or not?
how on earth is a translation same as correct pronunciation of the original word?

Thread is about pronunciation, please do not change the subject.
changing Allah's words
showing how to pronounce changes the word of Allah? are you serious or just making mischief?

see >> http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...ml#post1104946

جوري
03-01-2009, 06:01 PM
:haha: ah man... this guy is hilarious.. How is the first bism illah without the diacritics different than the bism illah with them diacritics or anyone other for that matter? they are all pronounced exactly the same way!..

Christians.. they want any straw to save their dear life

Follower
03-01-2009, 06:30 PM
LOL!! No I was using that as a comparison.

No this is a legitamate question, I have spoken with Muslims that have said the Quran needs to read in arabic.

Isn't it true you have to pray the set prayers in arabic?

doorster
03-01-2009, 06:43 PM
original topic
If the original Quran didn't have vowel points, why add them later?

Q:has the question been answered correctly?
A:yes, 4 times
http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...ml#post1104939

http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...ml#post1104940

http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...ml#post1104943

http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...ml#post1104946

Q: where is the thread going or being taken now?
A:Troll-land of fitnah and useless talk/argument

جوري
03-01-2009, 06:52 PM
LOL!! No I was using that as a comparison.

No this is a legitamate question, I have spoken with Muslims that have said the Quran needs to read in arabic.

Isn't it true you have to pray the set prayers in arabic?
Yes so? what is your point?
Jews don't make their prayers in English, they make it in Hebrew.. as a matter of fact the only people I can think of that have so deranged their 'holy book' are Christians..Further, I have already told you most of us have the Quran memorized or at least the verses we will incorporate in prayers.. have you ever seen a prayer take place? people don't stand reciting from the book while making it..

Media Tags are no longer supported

I don't see anyone standing with a book, do you?

aamirsaab
03-01-2009, 07:19 PM
:sl:
Question has been answered.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.