/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Platinum for men?

Peterwf
02-27-2009, 07:52 PM
I understand that it is forbidden for men to wear gold or silk.
My interpretation would be that platinum should also be forbidden as it is boastful of ones luxury.

Is this correct for Muslim?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Green_shoes
02-27-2009, 09:21 PM
A gas guzzling 4X4 Range Rover can also be considered to be boastful of one's wealth or luxury, should they also be forbidden?

what i'm saying is that whats forbidden by allah is made very clear to us and therefore we shouldnt interpret or say something should be or is forbidden unless its stated clearly by Allah's quran.
hope that helps bro

Peterwf
02-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Thanks, that is very helpful as I study.

Green_shoes
02-27-2009, 09:46 PM
you are welcome
Glad it helped :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
mazhar_majhu
02-27-2009, 10:10 PM
That was helpfull thanx to both........

Green_shoes
02-27-2009, 10:43 PM
you're welcome mazhar :)

crayon
02-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Platinum is fine, inshallah.:)

"There is nothing wrong, as far as Islam is concerned, as regards men wearing platinum rings as long as the following two conditions are met:

1- That it is not an extravagance on the part of one who cannot afford to wear this kind of jewelry.

2- That it should not be worn in order to cause temptation.

It is noteworthy that men are prohibited to wear gold rings.”

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503544564

guruman
03-27-2009, 05:47 AM
How about white gold brothers?

Peterwf
03-27-2009, 09:37 AM
"White Gold" is gold (chemical symbol Au) with some impurities.
So I expect it to be forbidden as well.

alcurad
03-27-2009, 11:56 PM
it is somewhat strange that gold is forbidden for men then much more precious metals etc such as Diamond are not.
what is the basis for forbidding gold for men?
note some have said that if the gold is not much hit is allowed to wear it, while one even said it is only disliked but nor forbidden.

I don't wear jewelery as it were :),, but such matters need to be clarified, it is somewhat puzzling in light of allowing more precious jewels to be worn then gold is a no.
http://www.dorar.net/book_end/8892 (arabic link-google translate helps sometimes although it loses coherency for long paragraphs-)

Dawud_uk
03-28-2009, 11:09 AM
:sl:

you are coming at this from the wrong angle, all jewelry for men is forbidden, this is the general rule. but there is an exception in the case of a silver ring.

so even if all in silver a man cannot wear an ear ring, a chain etc as not the silver ring like that of rasoolullah saws.

even with the silver ring, it is only to be worn on the right hand, on the little finger or the one next to it.

عبد الله
04-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

Ruling on men wearing white gold
The reason why gold is forbidden for men

rpwelton
04-01-2009, 09:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk

you are coming at this from the wrong angle, all jewelry for men is forbidden, this is the general rule. but there is an exception in the case of a silver ring.

so even if all in silver a man cannot wear an ear ring, a chain etc as not the silver ring like that of rasoolullah saws.

even with the silver ring, it is only to be worn on the right hand, on the little finger or the one next to it.
evidence?

Yanal
04-01-2009, 09:53 PM
I think any type of jewllery is haaram(why would you wear it at the first place).

rpwelton
04-01-2009, 09:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
I think any type of jewllery is haaram(why would you wear it at the first place).
I agree that there is not much point for a man to wear jewelry, but for instance in the case of a wedding ring, it's a symbol more than it is an adornment.

For the things which are not religious, everything is allowed except that which is prohibited explicitly in the Qur'an or Hadith. So for someone to declare something haraam that is not ibadah, the burden or proof is on the one making such a statement of it being haraam.

عبد الله
04-01-2009, 10:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal

Brother you must take care and think before you make such a statement. It is known that the Messenger of Allah sallallahu alaihi wassallam himself wore a silver ring.

//-Asif-\\
04-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Regarding the comment made about any kind of jewelery, I have a silver chain with a white goldish arabic Allah symbol that is probably the size of a quarter that I consider neither flashy or extravagant. I don't feel that is haram and I love wearing it as a symbol of my devotion to Allah, and it's almost a part of me.

I know Gold is haram and is only for women but I think intentions are key here. Wearing a small piece of jewelry shouldn't mean too much, but if you go for the bling bling like rapper DJ Khaled does (he has a HUGE decked out Allah necklace) than thats when the line has been crossed.

Dawud_uk
04-02-2009, 06:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by rpwelton
evidence?
i'll have to ask my old sheikh for the specific daleel next time i am back in sheffield as this was his answer not mine.

but in general principles of fiqh, some matters have a general ruling then exceptions to it.

e.g all musical instruments are haram, with an exception for the duf.

lying is forbidden, exception in jihad, small matters between spouses and bringing two disputing parties together.

praying salaat in its correct times is fard, except when travelling, it is raining heavily or you are fighting the enemies of Allah.

so as i understand it and was explained to me wearing of jewelry is something specific to women and so forbidden to men under the ahadith forbidding men to imitate women, but the exception is shown to this by the silver ring worn by rasoolullah saws and this being copied by early muslims.

alcurad
04-02-2009, 06:47 AM
there are societies where men wear jewelery too, it is according to the customs that such matters are judged, since there is no explicit statement otherwise. if rings are allowed, then necklaces etc are too, there is no difference, the same with music, music is music, regardless of duff or not, it is either forbidden or not, there is no in between except when the holistic approach is forsaken,,

Dawud_uk
04-02-2009, 07:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
there are societies where men wear jewelery too, it is according to the customs that such matters are judged, since there is no explicit statement otherwise. if rings are allowed, then necklaces etc are too, there is no difference, the same with music, music is music, regardless of duff or not, it is either forbidden or not, there is no in between except when the holistic approach is forsaken,,
i would urge you to study usul ul fiqh and you will begin to understand where i am coming from here.

for example, taking music. there are specific narrations and ayats regarding music that forbid it. but there are also narrations allowing the beating of the duff so there is an exception to the rule.

this is how many rulings in fiqh were made by the scholars, sometimes there is a general ruling of something being allowed but with exceptions, other times there is a general ruling of something being disallowed but with exceptions.

another example, killing is wrong, but there are exceptions. even theft we would certainly say is wrong but in jihad the blood, property and family of the enemies of Allah are all halal to take.

a general prohibition followed by exceptions, understand?

عبد الله
04-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh brother //-Asif-\\ and brother alcurad,

It is not for either of you to decide whether something is permissible or not. If you had the ability to give rulings on such matters you would have given some sort of evidence supporting it - where is the evidence? You have reached a conclusion based on your own logic and reasoning, this isn't acceptable.

Please share with us which scholar supports this view of yours, or provide us with a hadith which - you think - suggests your view has a basis. The views both of you have expressed aren't supported by anyone I know of.

kwolney01
04-03-2009, 12:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by عبد الله
Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh brother //-Asif-\\ and brother alcurad,

It is not for either of you to decide whether something is permissible or not. If you had the ability to give rulings on such matters you would have given some sort of evidence supporting it - where is the evidence? You have reached a conclusion based on your own logic and reasoning, this isn't acceptable.

Please share with us which scholar supports this view of yours, or provide us with a hadith which - you think - suggests your view has a basis. The views both of you have expressed aren't supported by anyone I know of.
Brother //-Asif-\\ said his chain was made of white gold. White gold is not "gold" it is a metal platinum or silver that is called white gold. As stated in the following cotton and oil are also called gold in some cultures because they are precious. Men can also wear precious jewels like diamonds and rubies as stated also.

Link: http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/68039

What is the ruling on men wearing white gold?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Gold is in fact yellow in colour. It may be also described as red because of having some copper mixed with it in most cases. This is what is well known among people and is mentioned in books about language, metals etc.

In al-Mu’jam al-Waseet it says: Gold is a metal that is yellow in colour.

Professor Muhammad Husayn Joodi said in his book ‘Uloom al-Dhahab wa’l-Siyaaghat al-Mujawharaat (Sciences of gold and jewels): It is well known that every kind of metal that is used in making ingots, such as copper, silver, palladium, platinum, zinc etc have an obvious effect on the ingot’s colour, hardness and melting point. Gold gives a yellow colour and prevents oxidization of the ingot. Copper gives the ingot a red colour and makes it stronger and harder. End quote.

After consulting experts in the field of gemology and metallurgy, they said that the phrase “white gold” may be applied to a number of things:

1 – It is applied to the metal platinum. It is permissible for men to wear it and there is no sin in that, because there is nothing in sharee’ah to suggest that it is forbidden for men. The fact that people call it white gold does not make it haraam, because it is just a name that is given to it, but it is not really gold. Similarly, cotton is also called “white gold” and oil is called “black gold”, because it is precious, but that does not make it haraam either. And it is permissible for men to wear precious stones such as diamonds, rubies etc.

عبد الله
04-03-2009, 09:48 AM

1 - he didn't say it was made from white gold, he said it was a silver chain.
2 - he seemed to suggest that even if it was gold it may be acceptable depending on the intention behind wearing it.
3 - as far as I know the majority opinion is that it is forbidden for a man to wear a necklace regardless of what it is made from.

The only kind of jewellery permissible for a man to wear is a silver ring. I haven't heard of an opinion other than this from any scholar. Allah knows best.

guruman
06-20-2009, 10:52 AM
JazakAllah to Brother عبد الله for his link. It was useful for me and very well explained.

silkworm
07-01-2009, 01:54 PM
But since Platinum is more expensive than gold, shouldn't it be banned for men???

silkworm
07-01-2009, 01:55 PM
we need more muslims at www.islamfactor.com, this so-called muslim forum is being supervised by non-muslims

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!