/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Some Christian questions about Islam!

rocketman38
03-02-2009, 04:38 AM
Hello! I have a few questions about Islam that I hope people on here can answer. I'm sorry if some of these have been asked before, I hope I don't upset anyone!

1. How does the Koran compare to the Bible? I know the Bible was written over many years and put together by scholars who decided what to include and what to leave out. Does the Koran coincide with the canon books of the Bible or does it give a mostly different account?

2. Are Jinn and demons the same thing? I find this confusing. The christian accounts of angels and demons are confusing as well. (demons and angels having multiple names, or in some cases those alternate names are described as being an entirely unique angel/demon.)

3. Does the Muslim world frown upon greed and corruption in their own countries? One thing I've learned is that humanity and those in power are all the same. people in power always want more power, become greedy etc. the only thing that has changed throughout history is that the greed and corruption that ran the ancient eastern world has moved to the west. But it's still the same story. I think that Christians and Muslims alike are fed up with the selfish and destructive motives that are running this planet. It would be nice if progress in this world was driven spiritually, not economically.

4. How does Islam view forgiveness? In Christianity anyone who repents and asks for forgiveness/guidance from God/Jesus is forgiven and helped. Does Islam support this belief?

Well I hope my questions can be answered! Thank you for those who reply! Sorry if i seemed to kind of go off on a tangent.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Sister_22013
03-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Hi, you're always free to ask any questions you want, no ones going to be upset with you.

1. How does the Koran compare to the Bible? I know the Bible was written over many years and put together by scholars who decided what to include and what to leave out. Does the Koran coincide with the canon books of the Bible or does it give a mostly different account?

This is a rather large topic that perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can fill you in about but basically we believe that the Quran corrects the Bible on many accounts since it is of our opinion that the Bible has been tampered with. Some corrections include the stories of the prophets as well as their character, that they were upright and of the pious believers. As an example, Quran also states that Jesus's (who we believe is a prophet, on whom be peace) first miracle was talking as a baby from the cradle to protect his mother from false accusations and proclaiming that he was a prophet, which is not mentioned in the cannon books.

2. Are Jinn and demons the same thing? I find this confusing. The christian accounts of angels and demons are confusing as well. (demons and angels having multiple names, or in some cases those alternate names are described as being an entirely unique angel/demon.)

Jinns are just like us who posses free will and can be of different religions, cultures etc. Demons are only the bad jinns. But technically, a devil/ demon in Islam is anyone (jinn or human) who leads others astray. The ultimate devil being Shaytaan or Iblis (Satan).

3. Does the Muslim world frown upon greed and corruption in their own countries? One thing I've learned is that humanity and those in power are all the same. people in power always want more power, become greedy etc. the only thing that has changed throughout history is that the greed and corruption that ran the ancient eastern world has moved to the west. But it's still the same story. I think that Christians and Muslims alike are fed up with the selfish and destructive motives that are running this planet. It would be nice if progress in this world was driven spiritually, not economically.

Another rather complicated issue that I can't really have too much voice in due to lack of knowledge but greed and corruption is a total no-no in Islam. However, in a perfect Islamic society, such would not be an issue as the leader would be of the pious. You can see the earliest Caliphs and how this was not a problem with them.

4. How does Islam view forgiveness? In Christianity anyone who repents and asks for forgiveness/guidance from God/Jesus is forgiven and helped. Does Islam support this belief?

Forgiveness is a very important aspect of Islam. God's greatest attributes is that He is the Oft-Forgiving and the Most Compassionate. There are certain conditions that need to be met for the forgiveness to be accepted (sincerity, repentance and strong determination not to do it again). Honestly, I can't even begin to tell you how forgiving God is but perhaps this should suffice:

Allah the Exalted said: “O son of Adam! As long as you invoke Me and plead to Me, I will forgive you whatever you have committed, and I will not make much of it. O son of Adam! If your evil deeds reach the borders of the sky, and then you ask Me for forgiveness, I will forgive you. O son of Adam! If you bring forth the earth full of errors, then you meet Me while you do not associate anything (or anyone) with Me, I will bring forth for you its full of forgiveness.

Hamza Asadullah
03-03-2009, 12:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rocketman38
Hello! I have a few questions about Islam that I hope people on here can answer. I'm sorry if some of these have been asked before, I hope I don't upset anyone!

How Were the Qur’an and the Bible Compiled?

The Bible is a collection of writings done in different periods of history, by different writers. The various denominations of Christianity are not in agreement on the canon (the list of books accepted by the Church as authoritative or divinely inspired) of the Christian Bible.

While most of these books are agreed upon by almost all Christians, there are some books that are not universally accepted. The Protestants call them Apocrypha and reject them; while the Roman Catholics and the Eastern Orthodox Church call them Deuterocanonical Books (second canon) and accept them as divinely inspired.

The Catholic Encyclopedia has this to say on the topic:

“The idea of a complete and clear-cut canon of the New Testament existing from the beginning, that is from Apostolic times, has no foundation in history. The Canon of the New Testament, like that of the Old, is the result of a development, of a process at once stimulated by disputes with doubters, both within and without the Church, and retarded by certain obscurities and natural hesitations, and which did not reach its final term until the dogmatic definition of the Tridentine Council.”

About the earliest existing texts of the Bible, too, there is a lot of confusion. The oldest extant manuscript of the Bible is believed to be the Codex Vaticanus (preserved in the Vatican Library), which is slightly older than the Codex Sinaiticus (preserved in the British Library), both of which were transcribed in the fourth century.

As for the story of Jesus, there were at least 50 gospels written in the first and second century CE. Four of them—Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John—were included in the official canon during the fourth century CE and are found today in every Bible. All of the original copies of the gospels were lost. What we have now are hand-written copies which are an unknown number of replications removed from the originals.

After Jesus’s time, there came to be two sects of Christians: those who followed St. Paul (who is the real founder of modern Christianity) and those who followed the Apostles of Jesus. In course of time, the Pauline sect overshadowed the Apostles’ sect. So Paul’s own writings, as well as the Gospels written under his influence, came to be accepted by the later Christian Church as Scripture.

Rudolf Bultmann, a prominent 20th-century professor of New Testament studies, writes:

“We can now know almost nothing concerning the life and personality of Jesus, since the early Christian sources show no interest in either, are moreover fragmentary and often legendary; and other sources about Jesus do not exist” (Rudolf Bultmann, Jesus and the Word, p. 8).

The earliest of the four gospels is Mark’s and this was written sometime from 57 to 75 CE, according to scholars. The other gospels were composed much later than this, and the last of the four gospels, John’s, was probably written between 85 and 100 CE. All these gospels were originally in Greek and their authorship is a subject of dispute.

The Bible does not contain self-reference; that is, the word Bible is not in the Bible. In fact, it is an extreme position held only by some Christian groups that the Bible—in its entirety—is the revealed word of God. But the presence of so many contradictions and patently questionable ideas makes this claim untenable.

In comparison, the saying of the Qur’an as the record of the Word of God dictated to His Prophet is borne out by the following facts: The speaker in the Qur’an is God talking directly to Man. (The sayings of the Prophet, called hadiths, are in other books.) The Qur’an repeatedly says that it is the Word of God. It has self-reference; that is to say, it names itself 70 times as the Qur’an.

The verses of the Qur’an were revealed to Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be on him) in the course of 23 years of his life, as and when the events in the unfolding development of the religion of God called for divine guidance. As soon as the Prophet received these verses, he dictated them to his disciples, who not only wrote them down, but also learned them by heart. There were so many people who had memorized the Qur’an, that we can say that from the first day of its revelation as it were, the Qur’an was in the hands and hearts of the people.

Before the death of the Prophet, the whole of the Qur’an was written down, examined, and verified by the Prophet himself. From that time onwards, it has remained safe from corruption, as several copies of it were in the possession of the Muslims. So it was not possible to make any changes to its verses, even if someone wanted to do so.

Moreover, God has promised in the Qur’an to preserve it, saying what means:

*{Certainly, it was We Who revealed the Reminder [the Qur’an] and certainly We shall preserve it.}* (Al-Hijr 15:9)

At the time of the Prophet’s death, a number of the Prophet’s Companions already had assembled the portions of the Qur’an with them into a volume. It was during the time of the first caliph Abu Bakr that a leading scholar and scribe of the Prophet, Zayd ibn Thabit, was appointed to compile an official version. After meticulous work, he prepared the official collection known as the mushaf.

One of the foremost reasons for the continued incorruptibility of the Qur’an is that it has been preserved in its original language, unlike the Bible. No one in the Muslim world has ever thought to supersede it with a translation. Thus, the Qur’an we have today is the same Qur’an that the Prophet received from God. Its authenticity and genuineness, therefore, are unimpeachable.

One of the miracles of the Qur’an, which was revealed 14 centuries ago, is the fact that it can be read and understood by the Arabic-speaking people living today.

Every language undergoes changes as time passes, and a hundred or two hundred years is long enough for a language to undergo substantial changes. Thus anyone who knows the rudiments of the history of languages knows that logically it should be impossible for the Arabic-speaking peoples of today to read and understand a book 14 centuries old. And yet, everyday, every hour, every minute, in fact every second of the 24 hours of the 365 days of every year of the past centuries has been alive with the reading and study of the Qur’anic verses. And it goes on into the future. The volume and scope of it multiplies in every imaginable way with the coming of the multimedia. This started at the time of the Prophet and it has continued unceasingly till the present day, making this the ever-present miracle of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), rivaling all other miracles so far.

Allah says in the Qur’an what means:

*{This is the Book; in it is sure guidance, no doubt, for those who are God-conscious}* (Al-Baqarah 2:2)

*{And say: “The truth has arrived, and falsehood perished; for falsehood is bound to perish.”}* (Al-Israa’ 17:81)

The Authenticity of the Quran and the Bible

Revelation is a key part of the way God has organized this universe. There are two aspects to revelation. First the message itself and second the proof that the message comes from God. The proof comes in various ways. But, before looking at the proofs, let us briefly consider the message and why revelation is itself necessary in the scheme of things.

The basic need for revelation is to provide moral authority, to guide human beings towards fulfilling the purpose of existence, which is the will of Allah. Without revelation, we may only judge what is instrumentally useful to our condition. Yet, our purpose in creation requires a greater authority than mere worldly judgments. What is right? What is wrong? These are questions about the ultimate nature of existence and can only be answered through the Ultimate Being – Allah.

The Qur'an addresses this point head on. It starts with the foundational prayer of Islam al-fatihah – the opening. This is essentially a prayer to God for guidance. The next surah (chapter) of the Qur'an begins to answer this prayer with the following statements:

This is the Book; in it is guidance sure, without doubt, to those who fear God;

Surah 2 Verse 2

When it comes to proofs that a book is indeed from Allah, there are a number of considerations. Firstly, we can look at the textual integrity and historical facts about its compilation. This establishes the historical reality of the text. Then we can see how what is says can serve as a proof of its origin, being the word of God. Let us first look at the historical evidence and consistency of the claims made in each text.

The Holy Qur’an

As for the authenticity of the Holy Qur’an, we can note the following points:

God in the Holy Qur’an tells the Prophet:
Move not thy tongue concerning the (Qur'an) to make haste therewith.
It is for Us to collect it and to promulgate it:
But when We have promulgated it, follow thou its recital (as promulgated):
Nay more, it is for Us to explain it (and make it clear):

Surah 75 Verses 16 - 19

God gives here a guarantee that the collection and the promulgation of the Holy Qur’an are assured. It has been recorded that the Prophet, who received the divine revelation, not only dictated them to his companions, but learned them by heart. Besides, the Prophet took all measures to see that the companions also learned them by heart. The Prophet said:

‘The most superior among you (Muslims) are those who learn the Qur'an and teach it.' (Bukhari, VI - No. 546)

Following the Prophet’s instructions, many of his companions learned the Qur’an by heart, immediately after the verses were revealed. Imam Suyuti mentions - in his Itqan - more than twenty well-known persons who memorized the revelation. The practice of memorizing the Qur’an was encouraged by the Prophet so much, that not only his companions, but the pious Muslims of later times also took great care to memorize it.

It is true that the Qur’an was not compiled into a single book in the Prophet’s time; but the verses were scrupulously written down and passages were recited, not only during prayer, but also on other occasions. Muslims were taught that the recitation and the contemplation of the Qur’anic verses were acts of piety, worthy of great reward. For this reason, the companions of the Prophet were eager to learn the verses, which fact was to a great extent responsible for the safeguarding the Qur’an in the hearts of the people.

The story of the conversion of Omar is well-known. In Ibn Hisham’s account we can read how Omar asked his sister to hand over to him a written sheet of the Qur’an, which they have been reading. This points to the fact that the practice of recording the verses on available materials was already happening in the earliest years of the revelation.

It has been clearly recorded, by the Prophet’s biographers, that he had appointed many scribes to write down the Qur’anic revelations. The following hadith proves that the Qur’an was with the companions of the Prophet in written form:

‘From Ibn Omar: ... 'The messenger of Allah (pbuh) said: ‘Do not take the Qur'an on a journey with you, for I am afraid lest it should fall into the hands of the enemy’’. (Sahih Muslim & Sahih Bukhari)

Obviously this is a reference to the written Qur’an.
There are three hadiths in Sahih Bukhari, informing us that Angel Gabriel used to recite the Qur'an with the Prophet once a year, but he recited it twice with him in the year he died. This happened when the Prophet used to stay in i'tikaf (solitude worship) for ten days every year (in the month of Ramadan), but in the year of his death, he stayed in i'tikaf for twenty days. (Bukhari)

It is clear for the above reasons that there is no comparison between the Qur’an and other Holy Scriptures, in the matter of recording and passing on to future generations. While the books of the Old and New Testaments, for example, were written, edited and compiled over long periods, sometimes centuries, the text of the Qur'an, once revelation had ceased, has remained the same, up to this very day.

Zaid ibn Thabit was the chief scribe, who used to record down the revelation, dictated by the Prophet. After the Prophet’s time, in the battle of Yamama, a large number of the huffaz (those who had memorized the Qur’an) died. Then Abu Bakar appointed Zaid to collect all the available written versions of the Qur’an and to bring out a master copy. Since he had been the chief scribe of the Prophet, he was the most suited person for that job.

When he completed this work, he gave the collection of written materials to Abu Bakar, which he kept with him till his death. After his death, Omar, the second khalifah, finally gave it to his daughter Hafsa – one of the prophet’s wives - for safekeeping. It was from this collection of material that Khalifah Othman prepared several copies in the form of the first books of the entire Qur’an. Some of these copies still exist.

God assures us in the Holy Qur’an:
We have, without doubt, sent down the Message; and We will assuredly guard it (from corruption).

Surah 15 Verse 9

and

... indeed it is a Book of exalted power.
No falsehood can approach it from before or behind it: It is sent down by One Full of Wisdom, Worthy of all Praise.

Surah 41 Verses 41 – 42

The Bible

When we consider the history of the Bible, we find that the story is entirely different. For one thing, the Bible is not one book; no Christian can claim it to be one book, revealed by God to one Prophet. Rather, according to some Christian scholars, it is “a library of books”. This means that the Bible was composed by many authors at different stages in history. This is a major difference between the Qur’an and the Bible.

The whole Bible is divided into the Old Testament and the New Testament. The Old Testament consists of books composed or compiled before Jesus Christ. Then, the New Testament consists of books compiled after Jesus Christ.

According to the Encyclopedia Universalis (Paris, 1974 edition, Vol. A pp. 246- 263: Entry: Bible, written by J.P. Sandroz, Professor at the Dominican Faculties, Saulchoir), the Old Testament appears as a literary monument to the Jewish people, from its origins to the coming of Christianity.

The books it consists of were written, completed and revised between the Tenth and the First centuries B.C. It is a collection of works of greatly differing length and many different genres. They were written in several languages, over a period of more than nine hundred years, based on oral traditions. Many of these works were corrected and completed, in accordance with events or special requirements, often at periods that were very distant from one another.

To understand what the Old Testament represents, it is important to retain this information, correctly established today by highly qualified specialists.
‘A Revelation is mingled in all these writings, but all we possess today is what men have seen fit to leave us. These men manipulated the texts to please themselves, according to the circumstances they were in and the necessities they had to meet.’ (The Bible, Qur’an and Modern Science - by Maurice Bucaille.)

We also read in The Interpreter's Dictionary Of The Bible:

‘The original copies of the New Testament books have, of course, long since disappeared. This fact should not cause surprise. In the first place, they were written on papyrus, a very fragile and perishable material. In the second place, and probably of even more importance, the original copies of the NT [new testament] books were not looked upon as scripture by those of the early Christian communities.’ (George

Arthur Buttrick - Ed.: The Interpreter's Dictionary Of The Bible, Volume 1, p. 599 – under: ‘Text, New Testament').

The New Testament consists of 39 books. The first four are known as the Gospels, which narrate the story of Jesus. The remaining books were written by his supposed disciples. The most prominent among them was St. Paul, who wrote some thirteen books. The irony of the matter is that this St. Paul, though a contemporary of Jesus, has never met him, nor was he among the twelve disciples chosen by Jesus himself! And yet, it is his ideas, rather than those of Jesus or any of his disciples, that have given most shape to modern Christianity!

The four Gospel writers are Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Among the disciples of Jesus, we find all these names except that of Luke. The Church fathers have been teaching their followers that the Gospel writers were “eyewitnesses” to the acts of Jesus. But modern research points out that the Gospel writers and the disciples were different persons. For example, there was a disciple called Matthew, but the Gospel of Matthew was not written by this Matthew! The King James Version of the Gospels points to this fact, see the titles of the Gospels: Gospel according to Matthew, Gospel according to Mark… etc., and not Gospel by Matthew, Gospel by Mark etc.

The Christian teaching is that these Gospels, as well as the rest of the New Testament, were the “word of God”. They contend that the Gospel writers were inspired by God while writing, and so could not go wrong. If this were true, how could they explain the inconsistencies among the various gospels as to many details? For instance Matthew and Luke give two different genealogies for Jesus. (See Matthew: 1:1-17; and Luke 3: 23-38). Only a few names in the two lists agree!

There are many more internal evidences in the Biblical books, which prove that these books were not reliably guarded from corruption. But for our purpose, I hope the foregoing will suffice. It is quite evident, from the above facts, that the Holy Qur’an as we have it now, is an authentic text. This is while the claim about the Bible (both the Old and the New Testaments) as authentic, is a spurious one.

Moving beyond the historical realities of the texts, there is much material on the nature of the Qur'an. One key test of a text by which we may know it as the word of God is that it is consistent internally and consistent with science throughout time. Such claims cannot reasonably be made about the Bible and science but they can be made about the Qur'an and are.

Do they not consider the Qur'an (with care)? Had it been from other Than God, they would surely have found therein Much discrepancy.
Surah 4 Verse 82

Has the Qur'an Changed?

There are different ways to prove that the Qur'an is the word of God, which has always been true and has never been subjected to change or distortion. These proofs can be classified into three types: the way the Qur'an was transmitted throughout the centuries, some challenging verses within the Qur'an itself, and the periodic, modern-day discoveries in the universe that were first mentioned in the Qur'an more than fourteen centuries ago.

Unlike the Bible and Old Testament that have been subject to innumerable translations, doubtful and spurious transmissions, and corruptions at the hands of clerics up till now (with the “gender sensitive” versions coming out these days), the Qur'an was transmitted to us in an unprecedented and unique manner according to rigorous rules of transmission. The Qur'an was revealed to the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) via the angel Gabriel, and the Prophet subsequently memorized the whole scripture.

Thousands of the Companions of the Prophet learned the Qur'an directly from the Prophet (pbuh). They memorized it and were known in Islamic history as huffaadh (the memorizers and preservers of the Qur'an). Moreover, a number of Companions wrote it down during the lifetime of the Prophet (peace be upon him), and it was compiled in its entirety immediately after his death.

The following generation of Muslims learned the Qur’an directly from the Companions. Thus the chain of teaching and learning through direct contact continued systematically, methodically, and meticulously until the present age.

Additionally, several of the Companions of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) were appointed as scribes to record the words of the revelation directly from the Prophet himself on parchment, leather, or whatever else was available. The most famous of these scribes was Zayd ibn Thabit, who also memorized the entire Qur’an, and he formed with the others a community of huffaadh that can be compared to academic societies of our present time.

We know the Qur’an was recorded in totality during the lifetime of the Prophet (pbuh) and the different surahs (chapters) personally arranged by him. Many copies of the text were used for study and teaching, even in Mecca before the Hijrah, the migration to Medina.

The entire Qur’an was written down during the lifetime of the Prophet Muhammad, and trusting the fact that many scholars knew it by heart, it was not collected in one volume. It was personally arranged by him, and the Muslims memorized it in the same order. The companion Uthman reported that whenever a new verse was revealed, the Prophet would immediately call a scribe to record it. He would instruct the person to put the specific verse or verses in a particular chapter.

Furthermore, every year during the month of Ramadan, the Prophet would recite the whole Qur’an from beginning to end in its present-day arrangement, and everyday people could hear it from his own lips in the mosque. Its sequence is no mystery. Many of the Companions not only memorized it completely, they also wrote it down and even added commentary (tafseer) on their own personal copies. When the Prophet passed away, the whole Qur’an was already written down, but it was not yet compiled in book form.

During the rule of the first Caliph Abu Bakr, there was a rebellion among some distant Arab tribes that resulted in a series of fierce battles. In one particular battle, a number Companions who had memorized the Qur’an were killed. The Companion Omar worried that the knowledge of the Qur’an was in danger, thus he convinced Abu Bakr that the Qur’an should be compiled into book form as a means of preserving it once and for all.

Zayd bin Thabit was entrusted with this important task. Zayd followed strict methods in his compilation and had dozens of other huffaadh recheck his work to ensure its accuracy. Abu Bakr, who had also committed the entire Qur’an to memory, approved of the final product. After Abu Bakr passed away, the copy was passed to the Caliph ‘Omar, and then Uthman.

However as the Muslim world expanded into lands where the people spoke Arabic as a second language, the new Muslims had a difficult time learning the correct pronunciation of the text. The Caliph Uthman consulted other Companions, and they agreed that official copies of the Qur’an should be inscribed using only the pronunciation of the Quraysh tribe, the Arabic dialect that the Prophet spoke.

Zayd bin Thabit was again given this assignment, and three other huffaadh were assigned to help him in the task. Together, the four scribes borrowed the original, complete copy of the Qur’an, duplicated it manually many times over, and then distributed them to all of the major Muslim cities within the empire. Two of these copies still exist today: one is in Istanbul and the other in Tashkent.

One must keep in mind that in traditional learning in the Arab world, transmission was based upon an oral tradition as well as a written one; the Arabs (and later all Muslims) excelled in accurately reporting scripture, poetry, aphorisms, etc. through the generations without change. Similarly, the chain of huffaadh was never broken, and thus the Qur'an today has reached us in two forms: the memorized version transmitted through the scholarly chain, and the written version based upon the Companions’ initial recording.

If the Qur’an had been changed, there would be huge discrepancies between these two today, as the Qur’an has reached isolated (and sometimes illiterate) communities through the memorized form of transmission without the written form to correct it. No such discrepancies have ever been recorded or reported. In other words, isolated village A in African Mali and isolated village B in Afghanistan will both produce contemporary huffaadh reciting the same words of the Qur’an, though they did not learn from a similar printing of the scripture nor has there ever been a concerted international effort to rectify would-be discrepancies.

Allah has said in the Qur’an that He alone will protect His book, and indeed He has kept His promise. The Qur’an that we read today contains the same exact words that were revealed to the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) over 1430 years ago. This is quite a miracle, especially when you consider that no other group of people can say that their book has not been subject to change by the time it reached the present generation.

Only the Qur’an has survived through the centuries unchanged, and the language in which it was revealed, classical Arabic, still enjoys practical usage around the world. While classic English of the 14th century can be understand by very few native English speakers, the Qur’an can be understood by the vast majority of Arabic-speaking Muslims. When compared to other scriptures, the Qur’an is unique in these two respects.

Furthermore, from the prolific arts that have accompanied Qur’anic learning and transmission, we can learn of the auspiciousness and honor with which the Muslims have traditionally held the Qur’an. The visual arts of calligraphy and binding, and the vocal art of recitation represent examples of such arts, and from them we can see that veracity of transmission would be understood as a fundamental aspect of Qur’anic reverence.

As regards the proofs within the Qur'an itself, they can be found in the following Qur’anic challenges:

Surah 4, verse 82:

*{Do they not then meditate on the Qur’an? And if it were from any other than Allah, they would have found in it many a discrepancy.}*

Surah 17, verse 88:
*{Say: If men and jinn should combine together to bring the like of this Quran, they could not bring the like of it, though some of them were aiders of others.}*

And Surah 2, verse 23:
*{And if you are in doubt as to that which We have revealed to Our servant, then produce a chapter like it and call on your witnesses besides Allah if you are truthful.}*

Source:http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/...AskAboutIslamE

For more information on the authenticity of the Qur'an check this webpage out:

http://islamic.org.uk/I4WM/amazing.htm

A brilliant website which contains information of the Science that the Qur'an contains:

http://www.-----------------------/index.php

Hamza Asadullah
03-03-2009, 02:44 PM
The jinn are NOT fallen angels.They were created from a smokeless flame of fire. The first recorded jinn to be disobedient is Iblis. Disbelieving, disobedient jinn and humans are known as shayateen (satans).

Ar-Rahmaan 55:15 He created man (Adam) from sounding clay like the clay of pottery 16 And the jinns did He create from a smokeless flame of fire.

The Jinn are beings created with free will, living on earth in a world parallel to mankind. The Arabic word Jinn is from the verb 'Janna' which means to hide or conceal. Thus, they are physically invisible from man as their description suggests. This invisibility is one of the reasons why some people have denied their existence. However, (as will be seen) the affect which the world of the Jinn has upon our world, is enough to refute this modern denial of one of Allah's creation.

The origins of the Jinn can be traced from the Qur'an and the Sunnah.

Thus the Jinn were created before man.

Al-Hijr 15:26 And indeed, We created man from sounding (dried) clay of altered black smooth mud. 27. And the jinn, We created aforetime from the smokeless flame of fire. 28. And (remember) when your Lord said to the angels: "I am going to create a man (Adam) from sounding clay of altered black smooth mud.

As for their physical origin, then the Prophet (saws) has confirmed the above verse when he said: "The Angels were created from light and the Jinn from smokeless fire". It is this description of the Jinn which tells us so much about them. Because they were created from fire, their nature has generally been fiery and thus their relationship with man has been built upon this. Like humans, they too are required to worship Allah and follow Islam. Their purpose in life is exactly the same as ours.

Ad-Dhariyat 51:56 "I did not create the Jinn and mankind except to worship Me"

Throughout history man has always had a deep attraction for the supernatural and the unseen. The existence of a world parallel to our own has always fascinated people. This world is commonly referred to as the spirit world, and almost every set of people have some concept of one. With some people, these spirits are no more then the souls of dead people- or ghosts. With others, spirits are either the forces of good or the forces of evil - both battling against one another to gain influence over humanity. However, both of these explanations are more in tune with folk tales and fantasy. The true explanation of such a world comes from Islam. Like every other way, Islam also claims to explain this realm of the unseen. It is from this realm that Islam explains to us about the world of the Jinn. The Islamic explanation of the Jinn provides us with so many answers to modem day mysteries. Without the knowledge of this world, the Muslims would become like the non-Muslims and be running around looking for any old answer to come their way. So, who or what are the Jinn?

Jinns can thus be Muslims or non-Muslims. However, due to their fiery nature the majority of them are non-Muslims. All these non-Muslim Jinns form a part of the army of the most famous Jinn, Iblis- the Shaytan. Consequently, these disbelieving Jinns are also called Shaytans (devils).

As for the Jinns who become Muslims, then the first of them did so in the time of the Prophet (saws) when a group of them were amazed by the recitation of the Qur'an. Allah orders the Prophet to tell the people of this event:

Al-Jinn 72:1-2 "Say (O' Muhammed): It has been revealed to me that a group of Jinn listened and said; 'Indeed we have heard a marvellous Qur'an. It guides unto righteousness so we have believed in it, and we will never make partners with our lord'"

In many aspects of their world, the Jinn are very similar to us. They eat and drink, they marry, have children and they die. The life span however, is far greater then ours. Like us, they will also be subject to a Final Reckoning by Allah the Most High. They will be present with mankind on the Day of Judgement and will either go to Paradise or Hell.

Al-Hijr 15:18 "And We have guarded it (the heavens) from every accursed devil, except one who is able to snatch a hearing and he is pursued by a brightly burning flame"

Al-A'raf 7:27 "Indeed he (Iblis) and his tribe watch you from a position where you cannot see them"

Solomon's Experience with the Jinn

Allah made all the jinn subservient to the Prophet Sulaimaan (Solomon), a gift from Allah, swt, that will never be granted to another after him.

The Noble Qur'an - Saad 38:35-39

35. He said: "My Lord! Forgive me, and bestow upon me a kingdom such as shall not belong to any other after me: Verily, You are the Bestower."

36. So, We subjected to him the wind, it blew gently to his order whithersoever he willed,

37. And also the Shayâtin (devils) from the jinns (including) every kind of builder and diver,

38. And also others bound in fetters.

39. [Saying of Allâh to Sulaimân (Solomon)]: "This is Our gift, so spend you or withhold, no account will be asked."

The Noble Qur'an - Saba' 34:12-14

12. And to Solomon (We subjected) the wind, its morning (stride from sunrise till midnoon) was a month's (journey), and its afternoon (stride from the midday decline of the sun to sunset) was a month's (journey i.e. in one day he could travel two months' journey). And We caused a fount of (molten) brass to flow for him, and there were jinns that worked in front of him, by the Leave of his Lord, and whosoever of them turned aside from Our Command, We shall cause him to taste of the torment of the blazing Fire.

13. They worked for him what he desired, (making) high rooms, images, basins as large as reservoirs, and (cooking) cauldrons fixed (in their places). "Work you, O family of Dâwud (David), with thanks!" But few of My slaves are grateful.

14. Then when We decreed death for him [Sulaimân (Solomon)], nothing informed them (jinns) of his death except a little worm of the earth, which kept (slowly) gnawing away at his stick, so when he fell down, the jinns saw clearly that if they had known the unseen, they would not have stayed in the humiliating torment.

The Noble Qur'an - An-Naml 27:17-19

17. And there were gathered before Sulaimân (Solomon) his hosts of jinns and men, and birds, and they all were set in battle order (marching forwards).

18. Till, when they came to the valley of the ants, one of the ants said: "O ants! Enter your dwellings, lest Sulaimân (Solomon) and his hosts crush you, while they perceive not."

19. So he [Sulaimân (Solomon)] smiled, amused at her speech[] and said: "My Lord! Inspire and bestow upon me the power and ability that I may be grateful for Your Favours which You have bestowed on me and on my parents, and that I may do righteous good deeds that will please You, and admit me by Your Mercy among Your righteous slaves."

Source: http://www.islamawareness.net/Jinn/jinn.html

If you want to know more about Jinns then go the the website above!

3. Does the Muslim world frown upon greed and corruption in their own countries? One thing I've learned is that humanity and those in power are all the same. people in power always want more power, become greedy etc. the only thing that has changed throughout history is that the greed and corruption that ran the ancient eastern world has moved to the west. But it's still the same story. I think that Christians and Muslims alike are fed up with the selfish and destructive motives that are running this planet. It would be nice if progress in this world was driven spiritually, not economically.[/QUOTE]

Greed is another great disease, as harmful for the life of Islam as enmity

O people of faith! You will have understood by now how harmful enmity is. Understand also, that greed is another great disease, as harmful for the life of Islam as enmity. It brings about disappointment, sickness and humiliation, as well as deprivation and misery.

Greed demonstrates its evil consequences throughout the world of animate beings, both at the level of species and of particular individuals. Seeking one’s provision while putting one’s trust in God is, by contrast, a means to tranquility and demonstrates everywhere its good effects. For example, fruit trees and plants, which are a species of living beings and accordingly need provision, stand still where they are, ‘contentedly, putting their trust in God, showing no impatience’. That is why their provision hastens to them of itself and why they reproduce more vigorously than animals. The animals, by contrast, are able to attain their provision only insufficiently and at the cost of great effort since they pursue it with impatience. In the animal kingdom only the young, who ‘demonstrate their trust in God through their weakness and impotence’, receive in full measure their rightful and delicious provision from the treasury of the Divine Compassion, while wild beasts that leap greedily at their provision are able to obtain an ‘illicit’ and coarse food at the cost of great effort. These examples show that greed is the cause of deprivation, while trust in God and contentment are the means to Divine Mercy.

The likeness of a contented and greedy one

The contented and the greedy can be likened to the two men who enter the audience hall of a great personage. One of them thinks: ‘It is enough that he should admit me so that I can escape from the cold outside. Even if he seats me in the lowest position, it will be a favor to me.’

The second, in his arrogance, hopes for the highest position, as if he had some right to it and as if everyone were obliged to respect him. He enters with greed and, fixing his gaze upon the highest position, attempts to advance toward it. But the owner of the audience hall turns him back and seats him in a lower position. Instead of thanking the owner, the man is angered against him in his heart and criticizes him. The owner of the hall is annoyed with him.

The first man enters most humbly and shows his willingness to be seated even in the lowest position. His modesty pleases the owner of the hall and he invites him to sit in a higher position. This increases his gratitude.

Now this world is like an audience hall of the Most Merciful One. The surface of the earth is like a banquet laid out by Divine Compassion. The different degrees of provision and grades of bounty correspond to the seating positions in the audience hall.

Even in the most particular of affairs, everyone can experience the evil effects of greed. For example, everyone will have noticed how, when two beggars ask something of him, he is offended by the one who importunes greedily, and is inclined therefore to refuse his request; whereas he will give to the other, peaceable one out of pity. Or to give another example, if you are unable to sleep at night and wish to go to sleep at once, you may succeed if you remain indifferent to it. But if you desire with impatience to get to sleep immediately, you may lose your sleep completely.

In the arrangement of all things there is a certain deliberation decreed by Divine Wisdom.

Yet another example is this, that if you await impatiently the arrival of someone for some important purpose, continually complaining that ‘he has still not come’, ultimately you will lose patience and get up and leave. But a minute later the person will come and your purpose then remains frustrated.

The reason for all this is as follows:

In order to produce a loaf of bread, you must cultivate the field, harvest the crop, take the grain to a mill and bake the loaf in an oven. In the same way, in the arrangement of all things there is a certain deliberation decreed by Divine Wisdom. If, because of impatience, one does not act in compliance with this deliberation and neglects to follow all the steps in the arrangement determined for all things, one will either overleap or omit some step, and so fail to achieve the desired result.

O brothers, dizzied by preoccupation with your livelihood, and stupefied by your greed for this world! When greed is so harmful and injurious, how is it that you do all kinds of humiliating deeds for its sake; that you accept all kinds of wealth without distinguishing between what is allowed and forbidden by your religion and sacrifice much of the Hereafter. In order to satisfy your greed, you have even abandoned the payment of zakat, which is one of the most important pillars of Islam and a means of being blessed with increase and fertility and of repelling misfortunes. The one who does not pay zakat is bound to lose the amount of wealth equal to the amount that he had to pay as zakat; either he will spend it on useless things or it will be taken from him by some misfortune.

During the fifth year of the First World War, I was asked the following question:

What is the reason for this hunger, this financial loss and bodily trial that now afflict the Muslims?

I replied:

From the wealth He grants to us, God Almighty demands from us, as zakat, either a tenth or a fortieth1 so that we may benefit from the grateful prayers of the poor and avoid being the target of their rancor and envy. But we have not paid the zakat because of our avarice, so God Almighty has taken from us the accumulated amount of the zakat, thirty out of forty or three-fourth where a fortieth was owed, and eight out of ten or four-fifth, where a tenth was owed.

He wanted us, as fasting, to endure, for no more than one month each year, a hunger that has as many as seventy beneficial purposes. But we took pity on ourselves and did not endure that short and beneficial hunger. As a punishment, God Almighty compelled us to fast for five years, with a hunger that combines almost seventy kinds of afflictions.

God also required of us, out of each twenty-four hours, one hour to be assigned to a form of Divine training, pleasing and lofty, illuminating and beneficial. But in our laziness we did not perform five prayers a day and wasted that one hour along with the rest of the hours of the day. God Almighty, in return, chastened us by making us undergo a form of training and physical exertion for five years.

All immorality and disturbances in human social life proceed from two sources, from these two attitudes:

Once my stomach is full, what do I care if others die of hunger?

You work and I will eat.

What perpetuates these two attitudes is the prevalence of usury on the one hand and the abandonment of zakat on the other. The only remedy for these two awful diseases can only be provided through implementing zakat as a universal principle and duty and banning usury. Zakat is a most essential pillar not only for individuals and particular communities, but for the whole of mankind to live a happy life. Mankind usually comprise two classes; the elite and the commonalty. Only the obligation of zakat can arouse compassion and generosity in the elite towards the commonalty and respect and obedience in the commonalty towards the elite. In the absence of zakat, what will come to the commonalty from the elite is oppression and cruelty and what will rise from the commonalty towards the elite is rancor and rebellion. That will give rise to a constant struggle and a constant opposition between the two classes of mankind, resulting finally in the confrontation of labor and capital, such as happened in Russia at the beginning of the century.

O people of nobility and fairness! O people of munificence and liberality! If acts of liberality are not performed in the name of zakat, they bring no use; they may even cause three harmful results. For, if you do not give in the name of God, you are actually making a poor man indebted to you, imprisoning him in some feeling of obligation. Thereby you deprive yourself of his prayer which would be acceptable in the sight of God. Also by not giving in the name of God, you are imagining yourself to be the real owner of the wealth which God has bestowed on you to distribute among His servants, and thus committing an act of ingratitude for the bounties you have received from God. If, by contrast, you give in the name of zakat, you will be rewarded for having given for the sake of God Almighty and you will have offered thanks for the bounties received. What is more, the needy person will not feel obliged to flatter you or fawn upon you, so his self-respect will not be injured and his prayer on behalf of you will be accepted.

See, then, how great is the difference between on the one hand, giving as much as or more than the amount one would give in zakat, only to earn, in return, the harm of ostentation, fame and the imposition of obligation, and on the other hand, performing the same good deed in the name of zakat, and thereby fulfilling a religious duty, and gaining a reward, the virtue of sincerity, and the acceptable prayers of the poor.

Glory be to You, we have no knowledge save that which You have taught us. Surely You are the All-Knowing, the All-Wise.

O God, bestow blessings and peace on our master Muhammad, who said: ‘The believers stand together like a firm building, one part of which supports the other’, and who also said: ‘Contentment is a treasure that will never be exhausted’; and on his family and his Companions. And all praise be to God, the Lord of the Worlds.

1. A tenth of wealth such as corn which every year yields a new crop; a fortieth of whatever yields a financial surplus in the course of the year, or of the pasturing animals (such as sheep or goats) numbering at least forty.

Corruption in an Islamic perspective

Certainly corruption is not a new thing in human societies. It is an age-old
menace which can cause tremendous harm to society. The recent call against
corruption or more specifically "money politics" by the Prime Minister is definitely very much welcome. It is not only the Prime Minister who should be concern with it, but the whole society should be wary about it so that we could create a clean and honest society.

Generally speaking, corruption exists when a person in power has the right to
make decisions that concern others whose interests are at stake. The interested parties will try to find ways and means of getting what they want. One of the common ways is to offer the person in power certain favours so that the decision is made in his favour. This could happen only if the decision maker is willing to accept the favours offered to him.

On the other hand, if the person in power is not willing to accept such favours, then the process stops there. Unfortunately, it is not as simple. The interested party is not going to stop there either. If he thinks that the stake is too big to loose, he may be willing to give more until it becomes too much to refuse. Once we become obliged, we tend to find it difficult to refuse the next time around.

It is also true that the disease can start from the person in power. By making
things difficult the interested party will start to entertain the idea that there is another way of doing things. He will try to search for the best way of getting what he wants.
It can also be started by those with vested interest. These individuals who have something they really want from those in authority will try their best to reach those in power and suggest some form of kickbacks. Of course, it will not so easy at first, but eventually, with a lot of persuasion and perseverance, they get their way.

Of course, at the early stages, most of the corrupt practices are carried out very discretely so that the integrity of the person is never questioned. One can appear to be super clean in public, but in actual fact, those involved are the only people who know what goes on behind those innocent faces.

The problem becomes gigantic when corruption is practised openly. Those in
power starts demanding what they want and those who give are very open about it too.Both parties have regarded it as a norm because everybody else is doing it anyway. Those who do not do it are considered as either stupid or a thorn in the group. These are the people who will have to make the choice to join them or leave the group.

Corruption too has different definitions. What is considered corruption for some may not be so for others. It depends entirely on the norm that is accepted by certain societies. For instance, some of the advanced countries have allowed huge bribes paid out by multinationals to high ranking officials in other countries as tax deductible. You call it by any name which is regarded as an expense and that amount is surely tax deductible.

The implication cuts both ways. The countries where these multinationals reside will loose in the form of corporate tax. The countries whose high ranking officials accept the huge bribes will end up paying much more than the real price of the service or product. In the end, the people who gain are the high ranking officials, while both the countries involved, loose out.

What is even worse is when decisions tend to be made based on the amount of bribe or commission they could get. It is no longer the price and quality of service or product that is being purchased become the most important criteria. When this happens, the user of the service or product will become the victim.

Corruption is also said to be highly related to materialistic tendencies, which
can be due to real needs caused by income or greed and desire to live well beyond one's means. When this happens, it can easily lead to gross inefficiencies both financially and productivity wise. Those involved will find ways and means of applying pressure on others whom they can prey upon, instead of providing genuine service to such victims. It is quite common for those intending to receive bribes to delay approval or payment process so that they can expedite the service in return for some bribes.

Apart from the obvious damages that we cause to society through bribery and corruption, Islam provides another view on this menace.

The Holy Prophet of Islam used to appoint a number of his companions as
the collectors of zakat, during the Medina period. They were to make proper
assessments on the items where zakat become payable, collect the proper amounts and distribute to the recipients in the same locality. One of these collectors of zakat came back and told the Holy Prophet, "This amount is what I have collected less what I have distributed to the rightful recipients, but this is mine". The Holy Prophet was very upset and rebuked him saying, "What right have you to put aside something that does not belong to you. If you were to remain in your father's house, would you get what you are taking?"

The Holy Prophet had also been reported to have said, "If you get from the
people because of your position is bribery. Would you get it if you are not holding that position, or if you stay in your father's house?"

These hadith provide us with the strict definition of bribery and corruption in
Islam. Gifts that we get, could be considered as bribery if it is meant to oblige us to abuse our position or power. However, if it is customary for those in power to receive gifts because of the respect, love and services that they have rendered to the people, then of course it cannot be regarded as bribery.

We know that the Holy Prophet himself used to accept gifts of various forms
from heads of states in his time. He also used to give similar gifts to others. This is surely not bribery because it is customary to do it. Moreover, it is often given out of love and respect for the person.

In essence, Islam too frowns upon bribery and corruption. It is definitely a sinful act. All benefits derived from sinful activities are definitely unlawful. To this applies the famous hadith that states that the flesh that grows out of unlawful income has no place in the hereafter but hell.

The problem that we have to sincerely question is whether the bribe that we have paid for will bring about future streams of income to us or not. If the stream of income that we receive is clearly the result of the bribe that we have paid for, then naturally, the stream of income that we derive is unlawful in the eyes of Islam. For instance if we bribe to get to a certain position, the stream of income that we enjoy from such a position is also questionable Islamically. This is the real danger of all our sinful actions. Whether we pay zakat or donate our wealth for a very noble cause from such wealth, there is no benefit to us. This is because, neither zakat nor good charitable deeds are counted from unlawful income.

After all, we are all accountable to Allah in every action that we do on this earth.

A famous hadith has it that Allah will call us to account how we spend our life, our youth, our wealth and our knowledge.

Abdul Rahman ibn Auf, the richest companions among the famous ten whom
the Holy Prophet had predicted will enter paradise will have to account for all his wealth, the way he got and spent them, before being allowed to approach the gate of heaven. The other nine would have little wealth to account for and hence will speedily reach heaven. God knows best.

Sources:

http://www.thewaytotruth.org/somesoc...ntentment.html

http://corruptionmonitor.com/definit...orruption.html

Forgiveness in Islam

Allah (SWT),who named Himself Ar-Rahman (The Beneficent) and Ar-Rahim (The Merciful) is also Al-Ghafoor (The Forgiving). His Mercy overtakes His punishment and anger. He is more merciful to His creations than a mother can be to her infants. He created "man with weakness"; thus He knows and we should know that "to err is human," and "no one is perfect."

Iblis (Satan), the cursed one, out of envy to Adam, has promised to himself "to attack children of Adam on their way to their journey toward God, so that those who fall prey to his attack will also have the same fate as himself (I'll take you down with me!). So he says, "I'll attack men from the front, behind and sides." (7:17) This means he will disguise himself as our friend, as our opponent, and side distractions of the world. He will then make us do wrong by presenting evil as good (poison candy in a nice wrapper), making us angry, jealous, envious, just "follow-the-leader" type, and we wrong ourselves and fall prey to his temptation. Iblis and his followers have a feast of joy and laugh at man's foolishness, until the man realizes his mistakes, repents and asks for forgiveness and he is forgiven, and then Iblis cries again.

Giving up Hope of the Mercy of Allah is a crime in itself:

"Say: 'O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of God: for God forgives all sins (except shirk): for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.'" (39:53)

"And it is He who accepts repentance from His servants and pardons the evil deed and knows what you do." (42:25)

In order for forgiveness to be accepted, these conditions should be met:

(1) The crime is committed out of ignorance, not with the intention that, "Let us go ahead and commit this crime as Allah is forgiving, so He will forgive us.";

(2) Quickly turn into shame and repentance after committing a crime out of ignorance;

(3) After asking for forgiveness, make a promise or pledge to "mend his ways", and to stick to his promise. Let us examine verses of Quran.

"...if any of you did evil in ignorance, and thereafter repented and amended (your conduct), lo! Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (6:54)

"Forgiveness is only incumbent on Allah towards those who do evil out of ignorance and then turn quickly (in repentance) to Allah. Toward them will Allah turn in mercy; for Allah is full of knowledge and wisdom." (4:17)

"Forgiveness is not for those who do ill until death faces one of them, who then says, 'Lo! I repent now, nor for those who die as disbelievers, for such we have prepared a painful doom.'" (4:18)

Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala has granted intellect to human beings. The intellect entails responsibility. The more intellect a person has the more he/she is responsible. When the intellect is missing, the responsibility is also not there. Little children are not held responsible, because their intellect has not yet developed. The insane are not responsible, because they have lost the intellectual capacity. However, part of our being human is also that we make mistakes. Sometime we make mistakes without deliberation and intention. But sometime we knowingly and deliberately sin and do wrong to others. It is said, “to err is human and to forgive is divine.” Both parts of this statement are very true. As human beings we are responsible, but we do also make mistakes and we are constantly in need of forgiveness. Islam speaks about two aspects of forgiveness: a) Allah’s forgiveness; b) Human forgiveness. We need both, because we do wrong in our relations to Allah as well as in our relations to each other.

A. Allah’s Forgiveness:

Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala is the most Forgiving. There are many names of Allah given in the Qur’an. Some of these names are related to His mercy and forgiveness. Let me mention some of these names:

Al-Ghafoor: The most Forgiving. This name occurs in the Qur’an more than seventy times. There are other names from the same root, such as Ghafir and Ghaffar. The meaning of the “ghafara” is to cover, to hide and from it comes the meaning “to excuse”, “to pardon”, “to remit” and “to forgive”. Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala does all these things. In the Qur’an, it is mentioned that Allah does not forgive the Shirk (without repentance) but He may forgive every other sin for whomsoever He wills. (al-Nisa’ 4:116) We must turn to Allah to seek His forgiveness.

Al-’Afuw: This has another aspect of forgiveness. This name occurs in the Qur’an five times. Literally the word ‘Afw means “to release” “to heal”, “to restore”, “to remit”. Thus in relation to Allah it means “to release us from the burden of punishment due to our sins and mistakes”, “to restore our honor after we have dishonored ourselves by committing sins and making mistakes.” Sometimes in the Qur’an both names: ‘Afuw and Ghafoor come together.

Al-Tawwab: The Acceptor of repentance. This name of Allah is mentioned in the Qur’an about 11 times. Allah accepts the repentance of those who sincerely repent and turn to him. The word “tawwab” gives the sense of “oft-returning” which means that Allah again and again accepts the repentance. We make sins and mistakes then we repent, He accepts our repentance. Then again we commit sins and make mistakes and when we repent, He again very kindly accept us and gives us another chance.

Al-Haleem: The Clement. This name is mentioned fifteen times in the Qur’an. This means that Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala is not quick to judgment. He gives time. He forebears and is patient to see His servant to return to Him.

Al-Rahman and al-Rahim: The most Merciful and Compassionate. These names are the most frequent in the Qur’an. Al-Rahman is mentioned 57 times and al-Raheem is mentioned 115 times. Al-Rahman indicates that Allah’s mercy is abundant and plenty and al-Raheem indicates that this is always the case with Allah. He is full of love and mercy and He is ever Merciful.

The Qur’an teaches that Allah is a Judge and He also punishes, but Allah is not bound to punish. The justice of Allah, according to Qur’an is that Allah does not and will not inflict undue punishment on any person. He will not ignore the good of any person. But if He wishes to forgive any sinner, He has full freedom to do that. His mercy is unlimited and His love is infinite.

There are many verses in the Qur’an and sayings of the Prophet -peace be upon him- on the love, mercy and forgiveness of Allah. In one of the prayers that the Prophet taught, he said, “O Allah, You are most Forgiving One, You love to forgive, so forgive me.” (reported by al-Trimidhi and Ibn Majah). We need Allah’s mercy and forgiveness all the time. It is wrong to assume at any time that one will find eternal salvation without the forgiveness of Allah.

B. Human Forgiveness in Islam:

Just as it is important to believe in the mercy and forgiveness of Allah, it is also necessary to base human relations on forgiveness. We cannot expect Allah’s forgiveness unless we also forgive those who do wrong to us. Forgiving each other, even forgiving one’s enemies is one of the most important Islamic teaching. In the Qur’an Allah has described the Believers as “those who avoid major sins and acts of indecencies and when they are angry they forgive.” (al-Shura 42:37) Later in the same Surah Allah says, “The reward of the evil is the evil thereof, but whosoever forgives and makes amends, his reward is upon Allah.” (al-Shura 42:40) In another place the Qur’an says, “If you punish, then punish with the like of that wherewith you were afflicted. But if you endure patiently, indeed it is better for the patient. Endure you patiently. Your patience is not except through the help of Allah (al-Nahl 16:126-127)

In one Hadith the Prophet -peace be upon him- said that Allah has commanded him about nine things. One of them he mentioned was “that I forgive those who do wrong to me.”

The Prophet -peace be upon him- was the most forgiving person. He was ever ready to forgive his enemies. When he went to Ta’if to preach the message of Allah, its people mistreated him. They abused him and hit him with stones.

He left the city humiliated and wounded. When he took shelter under a tree, the angel of Allah visited him and told him that Allah sent him to destroy the people of Ta’if because of their sin of mistreating their Prophet. The Prophet -peace be upon him- prayed to Allah to save the people of Taif, because what they did was out of their ignorance. He said, “O Allah, guide these people, because they did not know what they were doing.” When he entered the city of Makkah after the victory, the Prophet -peace be upon him- had in front of him some of his staunchest enemies. Those who fought him for many years, persecuted his followers and killed many of them. Now he had full power to do whatever he wanted to punish them for their crimes. It is reported that the Prophet -peace be upon him- asked them, “What do you think I shall do to you now?” They pleaded for mercy. The Prophet -peace be upon him- said, “Today I shall say to you what Joseph (referring to Prophet Yusuf -peace be upon him- as mentioned in the Qur’an, Yusuf 12:92) said to his brothers, ‘No blame on you today. Go, you are all free.” Soon they all came and accepted Islam at his hands. He forgave even Hind who had caused the murder of his uncle Hamza -may Allah be pleased with him. After killing him she had his body mutilated and chewed his liver. When she accepted Islam, the Prophet even forgave her.

A very striking example of forgiveness we find in the Qur’an in reference to the most unfortunate event of “Slander of Sayyidah A’isha’”. Some hypocrites of Madinah accused her. They tried to put dirt on her noble character. One of the slanderers turned out to be Mistah, the cousin of ‘Aisha’s father Abu Bakr’s. Abu Bakr -may Allah be pleased with him- used to give financial help to this young man. After he slandered his daughter, Abu Bakr vowed not to help him any more. But Allah reminded Abu Bakr and through him all the Believers, “Let not those among you who are endued with grace and amplitude of means resolve by oath against helping their kinsmen, those in want and those who migrated in the path of Allah. Let them forgive and overlook. Do you not wish that Allah should forgive you? Indeed Allah is oft-Forgiving, most Merciful.” (Al-Nur 24:22) Abu Bakr -may Allah be pleased with him- came out of his home and said, “Yes, indeed, I want Allah’s forgiveness. He not only continued to help him but he gave him more. Islam emphasizes justice and punishment of the wrong doers, but it equally strongly emphasizes mercy, kindness and love. Justice, law and order are necessary for the maintenance of a social order, but there is also a need for forgiveness to heal the wounds and to restore good relations between the people. We must keep in mind that as much as we need Allah’s forgiveness for our own sins and mistakes, we must also practice forgiveness towards those who do wrong to us.

On the authority of Anas, who said: I heard the messenger of Allah say:

Allah the Almighty has said: “O son of Adam, so long as you call upon Me and ask of Me, I shall forgive you for what you have done, and I shall not mind. O son of Adam, were your sins to reach the clouds of the sky and were you then to ask forgiveness of Me, I would forgive you. O son of Adam, were you to come to Me with sins nearly as great as the earth and were you then to face Me, ascribing no partner to Me, I would bring you forgiveness nearly as great as its.”

Source: http://www.islamawareness.net/Salvat...rgiveness.html

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Grace Seeker
03-07-2009, 02:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muminin
Jinns are just like us who posses free will and can be of different religions, cultures etc. Demons are only the bad jinns. But technically, a devil/ demon in Islam is anyone (jinn or human) who leads others astray. The ultimate devil being Shaytaan or Iblis (Satan).
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza81
The jinn are NOT fallen angels.They were created from a smokeless flame of fire. The first recorded jinn to be disobedient is Iblis. Disbelieving, disobedient jinn and humans are known as shayateen (satans).

The Jinn are beings created with free will, living on earth in a world parallel to mankind. The Arabic word Jinn is from the verb 'Janna' which means to hide or conceal. Thus, they are physically invisible from man as their description suggests.

As for their physical origin, then the Prophet (saws) has confirmed the above verse when he said: "The Angels were created from light and the Jinn from smokeless fire". It is this description of the Jinn which tells us so much about them. Because they were created from fire, their nature has generally been fiery and thus their relationship with man has been built upon this. Like humans, they too are required to worship Allah and follow Islam. Their purpose in life is exactly the same as ours.

Jinns can thus be Muslims or non-Muslims. However, due to their fiery nature the majority of them are non-Muslims. All these non-Muslim Jinns form a part of the army of the most famous Jinn, Iblis- the Shaytan. Consequently, these disbelieving Jinns are also called Shaytans (devils).

Do Muslims understand Iblis to be the same being that Christans speak of when we speak of Lucifer?

I ask because Iblis is a Jinn and not a fallen angel. Lucifer is a fallen angel.
Yet the similarity between Shaytan and Satan is hard to not notice. Is this just a coincidence? Or is this a difference in belief as to the created character of the Devil?

muslimapoclyptc
03-18-2009, 02:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
Do Muslims understand Iblis to be the same being that Christans speak of when we speak of Lucifer?

I ask because Iblis is a Jinn and not a fallen angel. Lucifer is a fallen angel.
Yet the similarity between Shaytan and Satan is hard to not notice. Is this just a coincidence? Or is this a difference in belief as to the created character of the Devil?
It is a difference in belief as to the created character of the Devil.

Grace Seeker
03-18-2009, 06:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslimapoclyptc
It is a difference in belief as to the created character of the Devil.
So then Shaytan and Satan are not actually the same being either?

alcurad
03-18-2009, 10:23 PM
they are the same, the exact nature of Iblees/Satan is not known though.
there are different representations of angles i the qur'an, personally I would say this points to their being many types of them. for example, in one chapter, they are described as something akin to the 'forces of nature', in others they have the ability to think and converse.
Iblees could be a 'fallen angel' as you say, but there is no doubt form the muslim view point that whatever he was before, he is now not an angel.

Yanal
03-19-2009, 01:29 AM
:sl:
The answers are not in numeral order though:
I think demons is the English (Christianity) word fo
r jinns. Bible is the holy book of Islam like the Quran is,it tends to differ because of it's time of being revealed to theprophet and the circumstance of the situation. Allah always forgives the Muslims who sincerly repent not to do the sin again. We(muslims) are humans and this is the time of technology and Muslims do get carried away with greed and items delaying prayer. But we are always consistenly fighting the shytaan(devil).
Hope these answers help you in the research of fondation of Islam and it's principles.

muslimapoclyptc
03-19-2009, 03:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
So then Shaytan and Satan are not actually the same being either?
No, they are the same, but the exact beliefs of their respective natures vary somewhat.

//-Asif-\\
03-19-2009, 11:14 PM
I think the general belief is that Shaytan and Satan are not quite the same, though their roots of being enemies of human beings and such are similar. Satan in Christianity is the one who tempts and leads mankind astray as noted in the Bible several times but Satan is limited to one particular type of being. Shaytan are Jinns that have evil intentions, recruited by Iblis, the Jinn who disobeyed Allah's commandment to bow before Adam and had set out to ruin humankind.

It seems in Christianity Satan is seen at "The Devil". And demons are who follow him in his cause. The proper name of Satan being Lucifer? Im not sure on that.

In Islam, Iblis is a Jinn (being of smokeless fire) that disobeyed Allah and was cast out of Heaven for it and waged war against mankind, promising to take as many as he could to hell. Shaytan are a category of Jinns that are evil (Iblis included) and follow Iblis in his quest to ruin and tempt mankind and lead them astray.

rpwelton
03-29-2009, 09:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
they are the same, the exact nature of Iblees/Satan is not known though.
there are different representations of angles i the qur'an, personally I would say this points to their being many types of them. for example, in one chapter, they are described as something akin to the 'forces of nature', in others they have the ability to think and converse.
Iblees could be a 'fallen angel' as you say, but there is no doubt form the muslim view point that whatever he was before, he is now not an angel.
I would say we know Shaytan quite well. He is a jinn who was elevated to the status of angels (ie, he was viewed so highly that he was invited to be amongst the angels). However, he showed arrogance and disobeyed Allah, causing his downfall.

We do not believe him to be an angel, because by definition an angel cannot disobey Allah. They do not possess free will. Only humans and jinns have the power to choose to worship Allah; Angels do not have that choice.

Neha Qadri
08-03-2016, 06:58 PM
It is Great Discussion

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.