/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A bone to pick

Chuck
03-09-2009, 08:07 AM
http://discovermagazine.com/2009/mar...e-they-used-to

.... So to suggest that humans have undergone an evolutionary makeover from Stone Age times to the present is nothing short of blasphemous. Yet a team of researchers has done just that. They find an abundance of recent adaptive mutations etched in the human genome; even more shocking, these mutations seem to be piling up faster and ever faster, like an avalanche. Over the past 10,000 years, their data show, human evolution has occurred a hundred times more quickly than in any other period in our species’ history.

.... Bones don’t lie. John Hawks of the University of Wisconsin at Madison likes evidence he can put his hands on, so he takes me on a tour of the university’s bone laboratory. There, the energetic 36-year-old anthropologist unlocks a glass case and begins arranging human skulls and other skeletal artifacts—some genuine fossils, others high-quality reproductions—on a counter according to their age. Gesturing toward these relics, which span the past 35,000 years, Hawks says, “You don’t have to look hard to see that teeth are getting smaller, skull size is shrinking, stature is getting smaller.”

These overriding trends are similar in many parts of the world, but other changes, especially over the past 10,000 years, are distinct to specific ethnic groups. “These variations are well known to forensic anthropologists,” Hawks says....

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Thinker
03-09-2009, 09:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chuck
http://discovermagazine.com/2009/mar...e-they-used-to

.... So to suggest that humans have undergone an evolutionary makeover from Stone Age times to the present is nothing short of blasphemous.
Blasphemous – how do you define blasphemy?

doorster
03-09-2009, 09:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Thinker
in context of his current post or in general? if in general click here if in context of the post, then stop playing clever clogs (you (should) already know that Kathleen McAuliffe, the author of the article quoted, said it so go ask her)

Thinker
03-09-2009, 10:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
in context of his current post or in general? if in general click here if in context of the post, then stop playing clever cloggs (then you already know that Kathleen McAuliffe the author of the article quoted said it so go ask her)
Thanks,

I was asking Chuck how he defined blasphemy. By asking the question I was implying that the situation he had described as blasphemous was not according to the dictionary. If you agree that the situation he has described above is blasphemous I'd be grateful if you'd explain why you believe that to be the case.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Chuck
03-09-2009, 10:25 AM
I didn't write the article, you can go to discover magazine website and email the author for clarification. Link is at the top of the text.

doorster
03-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Thanks,

I was asking Chuck how he defined blasphemy. By asking the question I was implying that the situation he had described as blasphemous was not according to the dictionary. If you agree that the situation he has described above is blasphemous I'd be grateful if you'd explain why you believe that to be the case.
that the situation he has described above is blasphemous
he described no such thing, author of the article did from which Brother Chuck excerpted his post, which is clear from the link provided and the post format

Thinker
03-09-2009, 11:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
he described no such thing, author of the article did from which Brother Chuck excerpted his post, which is clear from the link provided and the post format
Please accept my apologies for my misunderstanding.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.