/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about Islam

Confusedsoul
03-15-2009, 01:18 AM
Okay, first of all, I have been raised as a Hindu but recently I have started to reconsider my faith. I declared myself Agnostic a few months ago (though I was actually closer to "undecided"), but now I am seriously thinking about Islam. My family is good friends with a nearby family of Sunni Muslims. They are the nicest and most God-fearing people I know, hands down. I have only barely read the Qu'ran and plan to read it more thoroughly, however, I am positive that Islam is the way to go. For one, the fact that Islam forbids associating *anything* with God seems to me proof that God's message to Muhammad (pbuh) was one that would prevent charlatans and fradulent "god-men" (as there are many such people in Hinduism), for example, read about Sathya Sai Baba, and that Islamic theology and philosophy makes sense to me and it is supported by science, there are things I am concerned about:

* My family, despite being friends with a Muslim family, are xenophobic towards Islam. I am sure they do not want me to become a Muslim. I am afraid to tell them that I am seriously considering converting to Islam, and that it has been perhaps the biggest thing on my mind for the past few weeks. If I did convert, I am sure they would not disown me, but they would probably be somewhat distant from me from then on, and I do not want that.

Doesn't the Qur'an say: "He who wishes to enter Paradise through its best door must please his parents."? That's a dilemma.

* I have, in my past ignorance, xenophobia, and stupidity, insulted Islam, Muslims, and the prophet Muhammad (pbuh). I regret it now, will God forgive me for this?

* I know that I will eventually violate the restrictions of Halal by sometimes drinking alcohol socially. Is this repentable?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd al-Baari
03-16-2009, 08:35 AM
Thread Approved.

Welcome to the forums. :)

I'm glad to read that you are thinking about Islaam, I pray that Allah continues to guide you.

Woodrow
03-16-2009, 09:02 AM
You will be surprised at how easy it will be to overcome any desire or need for alcohol. When I reverted I too thought that would be a stumbling block. Alcohol had been part of my life for nearly 50 years. A glass of wine with meals a beer with friends, drinks at social cocktail parties etc. yet Never touched another drop after saying the Shahadah.

peaceandlove
03-16-2009, 02:47 PM
:sl:
Let me try to answer some of your confusions

* My family, despite being friends with a Muslim family, are xenophobic towards Islam. I am sure they do not want me to become a Muslim. I am afraid to tell them that I am seriously considering converting to Islam, and that it has been perhaps the biggest thing on my mind for the past few weeks. If I did convert, I am sure they would not disown me, but they would probably be somewhat distant from me from then on, and I do not want that.
Well, first i did not know how much old you are and whether you are living independently or with your parent i am assuming that you are still a student living with you parent any way if you are afraid to tell them that you are now converting to Islam because that seriously harms your life then OK let do not open your Islam to your parent at least for some time until you are grown and confident , once you are up to your own and then you can just not only open you Islam to them , but also try to tell them what actually Islam is , it might be possible that there are many misconception about Islam in your parent mind , try to remove them. i am just giving you a link where you can learn a lot

http://www.irf.net/irf/faqonislam/index.htm

You can also find lot of lecture of Dr Zakir Naik on youtube , just do a search "Dr Zakir Naik" on youtube and you will get lots of lectures.

Doesn't the Qur'an say: "He who wishes to enter Paradise through its best door must please his parents."? That's a dilemma.
So , what the problem , who say you don't have to please your parent , even if some one is Muslim and their parents are non muslim ( i pray to Allah to give hidayat (show the true path) to all ) he has to obey his parent in all respect of life but don't only follow them if they are giving you instruction against the teaching of Allah. other wise there will be no problem , what the problems you are afraid off?

* I have, in my past ignorance, xenophobia, and stupidity, insulted Islam, Muslims, and the prophet Muhammad (pbuh). I regret it now, will God forgive me for this?
Well brother , if you do sins that fulfill the whole world even universe and then if you are truly ashamed on that and want to regret it and promise not to do that again them hopefully Allah will forgive you , Allah is so kind to his people. Allah like those people who asked Allah to forgive his sins.

* I know that I will eventually violate the restrictions of Halal by sometimes drinking alcohol socially. Is this repentable?
well sorry i donot know the meaning of repentalbe but what ever i understand , i can say yes its not good to drink alcohol , you must have to stop drinking it , its also not good for your health.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Khalil_Allah
03-16-2009, 04:04 PM
when you revert, you are considered a baby. All your past sins are washed away.

By the way, you don't have to please your parents with your religion. You can please them in other ways. The key is that you take care of your mother, you don't raise your voice, and you obey them to the extent that it does not conflict with your religion.

Allah created us in the context we are in for a reason. You will be surprised to find that the more you tend to your parents wants and concerns, the closer you feel to Allah... even if they aren't Muslim. God is simply unimportant to my parents, but we are so close now and my faith benefits from it for sure.

RAYN
03-16-2009, 07:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Confusedsoul
Hello =)

Yes, Inshallah you will be forgiven of your past sins if you revert to Islam. Allah is very forgiving- The Most Merciful.

In a hadith, the Prophet said to a man named Amr: "Didn’t you know that converting to Islam erases all previous sins?"

coddles76
03-16-2009, 11:10 PM
Salam
You have already taken the first step to reaching the path of islam. Remember that Allah SWT is the mos merciful and if you give him a hand he'll give you a arm and if you come to him walking he'll come to your running. If you sincerely put in the effort Allah SWT will make everything easy for you. Take your time brother and take it slowly with the sincere intention on reaching your goals of islam. Speak to people, read alot and inshAllah you will find that you have grasp a handhold that is so strong that you'll be glad you took the steps. I wish you all the best inshAllah in your journey and remember you have alot of helpful people here on this forum. If you ever need advice to not hesitate to ask, We are here to give you a helping hand and pray for you.

Wa Salam

Hamza Asadullah
03-17-2009, 12:51 AM
Okay, first of all, I have been raised as a Hindu but recently I have started to reconsider my faith. I declared myself Agnostic a few months ago (though I was actually closer to "undecided"), but now I am seriously thinking about Islam. My family is good friends with a nearby family of Sunni Muslims. They are the nicest and most God-fearing people I know, hands down. I have only barely read the Qu'ran and plan to read it more thoroughly, however, I am positive that Islam is the way to go. For one, the fact that Islam forbids associating *anything* with God seems to me proof that God's message to Muhammad (pbuh) was one that would prevent charlatans and fradulent "god-men" (as there are many such people in Hinduism), for example, read about Sathya Sai Baba, and that Islamic theology and philosophy makes sense to me and it is supported by science, there are things I am concerned about:

Hello my friend welcome to the forum and i am happy to see that Allah is guiding you towards the truth! You are very lucky because Allah says in the Qur'an that if he wanted to he could guide ALL the non believers to the truth but ONLY he knows which hearts would accept the truth and which hearts are the hearts of the rejectors who hearts are filled with too much pride! So unfortunate are the COUNTLESS people throughout this world from past to present that knew and know that Islam is the truth but too scared to proclaim their faith for their residence will be the fire! My friend it is Allah who gives guidance not any human!

Even the blessed Prophet (Pbuh) who was raised by his beloved uncle Abu Talib all his life and when his uncle was on his death bed the Prophet (Pbuh) asked him to say the Shahada (Proclaimation of faith) and he could'nt say it! He died a disbeliever! It is ONLY Allah who gives guidance and he ONLY gives it to those whos hearts are the hearts of the acceptors of the truth not the rejectors and ONLY he knows whats in the deepest regions of our hearts!

The value of imaan(Faith) is SO great that we will NEVER be able to comprehend this fully until the day of judgement when we will see the reckoning and fate of the disbelievers and we will thank Allah for ternity for making us the ones who were given guidance to the truth! Allah is guiding you because he sees something in you that he likes for he can see in the deepest regions of your heart and you are being given guidance but just remember shaythan (satan) will NEVER stop trying to misguide the children of Adam as he promised Allah at the beginning! shaythan is trying to confuse your mind into rethinking your conversion to islam by giving you false realities!

Talk to ANY convert in this world and MOST will tell you that their parents were not too happy at the beginning but once they see the beauty of Islam and the positive impact it has on you then trust me they will change their perceptions and misconceptions on Islam! My friend is a gujirati and was previously hindu and is now a Muslim and his parents found it a bit difficult to accept at first but they are completly fine with it now it just takes a bit of time but they will understand trust me its just shaythan who is trying to mess with your head and trying to make it worse than it actually is!

At first a lot of converts do go through trials with their families but that is natural because it is a bit of a shock for them but it will get better with time and you should practice patience and Allah says in the Qur'an he is with the one who is patient! You shoul also continue to treat your parents with utmost respect and honour that Islam has given to the parents but your parents CANNOT stop you from accepting Islam nothing can because we are ONLY created in this world to worship Allah for he has given us EVERYTHING on a plate and yet we are still ungrateful? Inshallah Allah will make it easy on you and reward you immensley for your patience with your family!

My friend the worse haters of Islam have become Muslims even in the time of the Prophet (Pbuh) their were people who use to slaughter Muslims and were against the Prophet (Pbuh) and used to insult him and were the biggest infidels but alhamdolillah(All praise be to Allah) by the grace of Allah they accepted Islam and what you should know is that when a person accepts Islam then ALL of their past sins minor and major are ALL forgiven so that they are like a new born baby who has NO sins on them at all! So once you accept Islam then prat to Allah sincerely for forgiveness of ALL your past trangressions and your slate will be clean like you were born on that day!
My friend it is shaythan who is making you think in this distorted way that you will eventually trangress and drink alcohol and do haram but don't let him decieve you in this way!

Trust me once you become a Muslim then you will not even think about wanting to do haram and even touch filth like Alcohol which is the mother of all evils! You will feel so amazing in your heart! You will start to feel a desire to make Allah happy and be close to him! Allah wants you to be close to him for he does not want you to be close to shaythan! If any of us were to take intoxicants and die in that state then we would NEVER be able to enter paradise because intoxicants causes kufar(disbelief) at the time when that person is intoxicated! This is a terrible disease in society and one of shaythans greatest weapons! Once you gain more knowledge and get closer to Allah through prayer and supplication then trust me brother you will think completly differently and not even want to be close to doing the evil that shaythan wants you to do but you will want to do EVERYTHING to want to become the closest to Allah and to make your lord as happy as possible!

It is certainly not recommended to delay taking shahada because we do not know when death will over take us! We cannot guarantee that any of us will be alive for another second let alone another day or week because there are people dying all around us of all ages and death CANNOT be pushed forward for ANYONE as Allah says it HAS to take place at its appointed time! So do not waste anytime in taking the shahada because Allah is guiding you so accept the guidance from him and proudly say with full faith:

Ashadhu allaah ilaaha illallahu wa ash adhu annaa muhammadan abduuhuu wa rasuulu

I bear witness that there is NO one worthy of worship except Allah and that Muhammad(saw) is the slave and messenger of Allah!

I thought i would attach some very useful files for you to download and benefit from aswell as pasting some very inspiring weblinks of Hindus who converted to Islam and some of their amazing stories and advice! If you need any help or assistance with anything at all then please do not hesitate to ask because i am more than willing to be of assistance to you in anyway i can! Thank you!

Hindu convert to Islam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kacV7_r5NV4

Abdullah(Former hindu) - My journey to islam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-VEl...eature=related

one hindu converted to islam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk4_t...eature=related

Hindu Bro Accepts Islam.....Amazing Story Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myR3I...eature=related

Hindu Bro Accepts Islam.....Amazing Story Part2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJFpv...eature=related

Hindu Bro Accepts Islam.....Amazing Story Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48Kqa...eature=related

Hindu Bro Accepts Islam.....Amazing Story Part 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADMR8...eature=related

Hinduism to Islam......Ahmed Pandit Story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq89Y...eature=related

15 Indian Hindus converted to Islam in Mumbai ,India

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJYCf...eature=related

Hindu Couple converted to Islam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBEgV...eature=related

- Qatada -
03-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Hi confusedsoul. :)

Entering into the fold of Islam whole heartedly removes all past sins.

It is allowed to hide your faith if you fear that people will harm you because of that. There is alot of proof for this in the life of many companions of Prophet Muhammad. :)

http://www.islamicboard.com/companio...i-waqqaas.html
About the issue of drinking alcohol, it is a major sin and many say it is the mother of all evils - so try to avoid gatherings where this might take place. Maybe when people start to drink, tell them you have to leave and go somewhere else to do something?

Remember that although Allah forgives ALL sins (except associating partners with Him), but if someone asks Him for forgiveness while regretting the sin that they have performed - Allah will forgive them, but we don't know what state we will die in so try to avoid them as much as possible.

Here's two useful sites which you might find useful;

http://muslimconverts.com
http://islamreligion.com

May Allah guide us all to what He loves, and allow us to die in that state.

Confusedsoul
03-22-2009, 04:11 AM
Thank you guys.

arsenal123
03-23-2009, 01:52 AM
Hi, i find this post really interesting because im in the same position. Im from a hindu family n my family are completely against islam, however i have been doing a lot of research into islam too.

Im also worried about how my family will react, im sure they will disown me n this is always on my mind..

Not sure wat to do really... any help?

aadil77
03-29-2009, 07:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by arsenal123
Hi, i find this post really interesting because im in the same position. Im from a hindu family n my family are completely against islam, however i have been doing a lot of research into islam too.

Im also worried about how my family will react, im sure they will disown me n this is always on my mind..

I can understand what kind of culture you're from, that anything out of line from family practices will cause great dishonour to the family and they may disown you,
but remember anything that you want to do for the sake of Allah will always have a islamic solution to and there will always be a way to do the right thing, so read around here about reverts who had the same problems

May Allah guide you

جوري
03-29-2009, 10:35 PM
I am not a Muslim scholar but my opinion is, if you feel harm will come to you, then you must keep your religion to yourself..

the son of Omar Ibn Ilkhtab (RA) was so in fear of his father that he kept his conversion to himself, and when omar RA converted to Islam he was a little upset by his son keeping his new religion a secret from him, but if you really find yourself between a rock and a hard place then why place your soul in harms way?

religion is something between you and God..

my two cents and Allah swt knows best

:w:

coddles76
03-30-2009, 04:55 AM

I always sympathise for anybody in this situation and my only advice would be to follow what you heart desires and always remember your return is to your creator who created you from nothing and has gifted you with the faculty of free will and understanding. Your return will be to him to be questioned on the day of judgement, nobody will be standing by your side and nobody will be holding your hand to help you through the questioning, nothing but your deeds and the mercy of Allah SWT will help you on that day so my advice would be to plan for that day because nobody from your family will be there to help you, only Allah SWT will be able to help you so its clear were your worship should be aimed at as the NUMBER 1 priority.
May Allah SWT make it easy for you inshAllah

sunnyhayat
03-31-2010, 03:38 PM
I am also hindu but now i consider myself complete muslim
I pray regulalry though hide it away from family

Hamza Asadullah
03-31-2010, 10:53 PM
Thank you guys.
Hello my friend i hope you are well and in good health. What is the latest we have'nt heard from you for a while?

aadil77
04-01-2010, 07:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sunnyhayat
MashAllah, you mean you were hindu right?

sunnyhayat
04-01-2010, 01:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
MashAllah, you mean you were hindu right?
Yes my dear brother aadil.
I am now proud what I am and happy for not being what I was.

revert2007
04-02-2010, 12:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sunnyhayat
Assalamualikum bor.are u form India?so do u know that Priyardasan has converted to islam as well and his whole family and grandchildren have converted as well.

google Prayardasan turn to Abdullah

sunnyhayat
04-14-2010, 05:30 AM
I think if given time Hindu family definitely accepts and takes it in a stride. Sometimes we worry too much and make a mountain out of molehill. I know one sister who reverted and married into a muslim family has very beautifully brought both families together and also kept her Imaan very high. I am also trying to do same but presently not telling the family at all.

revert2007
04-16-2010, 05:45 PM

Well welcome first of all.Let me give some advice as an ex-Hindu who converted 3 years ago.

I always tell people who want to convert,never ever imagine and think what you do not know.
People think too much on something that they don't know and evetually let go what they have at the moment.
At the end of my post I will give you a verse which will help you in some thinking.

As a sister,I was brave enough to convert without considering what my family would say.I don't care what other say but alhamdulilah my mom accepetd me and helped me to practise Islam even though she herself is not a Muslim.

First of all,you need to get to know your Lord-Allah The Exalted.
Get to know who is the final messenger
Get to know the obligatory thinsg you msut do which is the 5 pillar of Islam
Get to know as a Muslim what you must believe in which is the 6 Pillar of Iman/faith
Get to know the steps to be a Muslim.

Once you have known,satisfy and accept everything,just take your shahadah immediately.It is not necessary to go to a mosque.you can get the help online and if you want I can rrange a brother for you to take shahadah or you can simply ask any brothers in this forum to help u with it.Take the ghuls and learn how to pray little by little.

You do not know the future.all you have is NOW and use it wisely.I am spekaing base on my experince and base on many reverts experience.

PM me if you need any help.

This is my blog specialy designed for non Muslims and reverts.have a look at it

My BLOG

revert2007
04-16-2010, 05:53 PM
sorry i forgot the verse

004.135 O ye who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to
God, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin,
and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for God can best
protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest ye
swerve, and if ye distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily
God is well acquainted with all that ye do.

Rabi Mansur
04-18-2010, 02:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
I am not a Muslim scholar but my opinion is, if you feel harm will come to you, then you must keep your religion to yourself..

religion is something between you and God..

my two cents and Allah swt knows best

:w:
:sl:
I agree with the above 100%.

I am a "secret" revert where I live. I cannot tell anyone at this point or I seriously fear what would happen to me. There is some precedence for this in Islam, I am told, so don't worry about keeping it to yourself. It is working for me, and I feel that my spirituality is becoming stronger all the time. The main thing is what you believe and your intentions. You don't have to announce it to everyone and then be the subject of derision and possible harm.
But Allah (swt) knows best.

:wa:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.