/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Flat or round?

Karina
03-15-2009, 07:12 PM
I often have a good old daydream if I'm somewhere boring, y'know - just pondering the universe.

I was wondering...... Is there a reference in the Qu'ran to the shape of the earth - ie. flat or round?

Just curious.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
yusuf18
03-15-2009, 07:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Karina
I often have a good old daydream if I'm somewhere boring, y'know - just pondering the universe.

I was wondering...... Is there a reference in the Qu'ran to the shape of the earth - ie. flat or round?

Just curious.
it says in the quran it is round like a ostrige egg shape but it appears to us it is flat but it is not

Chuck
03-15-2009, 07:44 PM

Just curious.
In Islamic history there has never been an issue of flat vs round earth. Even if you look in 9th century muslim scientist believed earth was spherical, and don't find any argument of any other scholar going against it.

Karina
03-15-2009, 07:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by yusuf18
it says in the quran it is round like a ostrige egg shape but it appears to us it is flat but it is not
Oh! That's interesting....

Do you have the relevant passage? I'd be curious to read it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Karina
03-15-2009, 08:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chuck
In Islamic history there has never been an issue of flat vs round earth. Even if you look in 9th century muslim scientist believed earth was spherical, and don't find any argument of any other scholar going against it.
Brilliant, thanks Chuck - do you have a reference?

Ali_Cena
03-15-2009, 08:21 PM
:sl:
Greetings Karina; hope you are doing well,

On the matter of "Does the Qur'an" hold any reference’s as to whether the earth is flat or round-shaped. It says in the Holy Qur’an that the earth is shaped as that of the egg of an ostrich; geo-spherical, in Qur’an Chapter 79 verse 30 And the earth, moreover, hath He extended (to a wide expanse); the word used to refer “to a wide expanse” is "dahawa" from which the verb "da'ha" is derived, and is the word which refers to the egg of an ostrich.
The shape of an ostrich’s egg is that of the shape of the earth; geo-spherical,

I am sure this topic has been covered; you can browse the search button, and look for yourself.

peace to you:w:, and Allah SWT knows best.

Chuck
03-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Brilliant, thanks Chuck - do you have a reference?
This guy calculated the circumference of the Earth: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abū_Ray..._and_geography

Chuck
03-15-2009, 08:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali_Cena
:sl:
Greetings Karina; hope you are doing well,

On the matter of "Does the Qur'an" hold any reference’s as to whether the earth is flat or round-shaped. It says in the Holy Qur’an that the earth is shaped as that of the egg of an ostrich; geo-spherical, in Qur’an Chapter 79 verse 30 And the earth, moreover, hath He extended (to a wide expanse); the word used to refer “to a wide expanse” is "dahawa" from which the verb "da'ha" is derived, and is the word which refers to the egg of an ostrich.
The shape of an ostrich’s egg is that of the shape of the earth; geo-spherical,

I am sure this topic has been covered; you can browse the search button, and look for yourself.

peace to you:w:, and Allah SWT knows best.
Some people say word doesn't mean that. It is derived from nest of ostrich and not egg of ostrich. Maybe people who know classical arabic can make it clear, what that word really means.

yusuf18
03-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Oh! That's interesting....

Do you have the relevant passage? I'd be curious to read it.
i was trying to search it for you sister :smile: but i carnt find it but i heard it from a sheikh on youtube dr zaki:smile:

czgibson
03-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Greetings,

I've mentioned this before when this topic came up previously, but it still astonishes me so much I'll say it again:

There are still people who believe that the Earth is flat.

Here they are:

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/

Peace

Uthman
03-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
I've mentioned this before when this topic came up previously, but it still astonishes me so much I'll say it again:

Here they are:

Are you sure that they're not just like...having a laugh? :uuh:

Regards

czgibson
03-15-2009, 10:17 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
Greetings, Are you sure that they're not just like...having a laugh? :uuh:

Regards
You'd think so, wouldn't you?

I'm sure there are some people having a laugh with it, but if you read the forum you'll see that some of them are dead serious.

Peace

yusuf18
03-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Greetings,

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

I'm sure there are some people having a laugh with it, but if you read the forum you'll see that some of them are dead serious.

Peace
to us it look flat but it is a ostrich egg shape check the quran im serouis our lord told us

Imam
03-17-2009, 04:09 PM

Just curious.

The most obvious reference to the shape of the Earth in the Quran is the verse

"He coils(yokawer from the root kawwara) the night upon the day and He coils the day upon the night" (Qur'an 39:5).

the Arabic verb kawwara which is used in describing the action of coiling a turban around the head.

format_quote Originally Posted by chuck

Some people say word doesn't mean that. It is derived from nest of ostrich and not egg of ostrich.
That is true.....

verse 39:5 makes it clear and no need to search for others...

Muezzin
03-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Greetings,

Here they are:

Peace
I'm sure Alan Davies got mauled as he usually does on QI, this time for saying that large groups of people ever believed the world was flat.

czgibson
03-20-2009, 09:04 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
I'm sure Alan Davies got mauled as he usually does on QI, this time for saying that large groups of people ever believed the world was flat.
It has been a widely held belief in several cultures. See here.

The popular idea that people in Medieval Europe all believed the Earth is flat is untrue, and I think that was the point being made on QI, wasn't it? I can't remember the episode that clearly, so I could be wrong there.

Peace

Chuck
03-20-2009, 09:30 PM
That link has better info regarding this topic:
Abul-Hasan ibn al-Manaadi, Abu Muhammad Ibn Hazm, and Abul-Faraj Ibn Al-Jawzi have said that the Muslim scholars are in agreement that all celestial bodies are round.
Ibn Taymiyah also remarked that Allah has said, "And He (Allah) it is Who created the night and the day, the sun and the moon. They float, each in a Falak." Ibn Abbas says, "A Falaka like that of a spinning wheel." The word 'Falak' (in the Arabic language) means "that which is round."[60][61]

Muezzin
03-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Greetings,

Ah.

Oh dear.

I hope they avoid maritime professions.

The popular idea that people in Medieval Europe all believed the Earth is flat is untrue, and I think that was the point being made on QI, wasn't it? I can't remember the episode that clearly, so I could be wrong there.

Peace
I think you're right - it was about people in Medieval Europe.

Grofica
05-02-2009, 12:20 PM
That scares me...

what do they say about pictures of the earth from space???? i mean there is proof!

Imam
05-02-2009, 12:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grofica
That scares me...

what do they say about pictures of the earth from space???? i mean there is proof!
Peace

Sister
I'm afraid to tell you that I don't get what you mean in your post

who are they? and what proof and for whom?

peace

Grofica
05-02-2009, 01:07 PM
Sorry,

I ment the flat earth people.... how do the flat earth people answer the question of how pics of a round earth were taken from space...

its a random thought i had when i read this post...

its the 21st centry i cant believe it... i followed the link and sure enough they really exsist... i was just like :-o

i dont even know how to respond...

جوري
05-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Greetings,

Peace
Heard of Al'Idrisi with Roger the II of Sicily?

http://home.att.net/~a.f.aly/idrisi.htm

Al-Idrisi

( The World's First Globe)

Al Idrisi, who died in 932 AD, was a renaissance man, a world class geographer. He prepared the world's first globe out of 400 pounds of silver for the king of Sicily Roger II. The globe showed the trade routes and detailed measurements. He also prepared a detailed companion book. Centuries later, Europeans continued to believe that the earth was flat.

Roger did jam his hands down on the globe alleging the earth was flat!

and I hope that takes care of what the Muslims thought the shape of the earth back then as well!

جوري
05-02-2009, 09:57 PM
I must admit as a side note, that I do ponder the history curriculum taught in European and American schools, they are either grossly negligent or the students are plain lazy?...
simple common knowledge that anyone past the 12th grade should be expected to answer seems rather elusive to the majority of them? (at least the majority that are loudest or those constantly presenting questions)

This isn't about religion, it is about history even if it be influenced by religion..
so why isn't it common knowledge?

Grofica
05-03-2009, 04:54 AM
its not that the students are lazy the classes are grossly negligent as you put it....

and the classes taught are inaccurate... in 5th grade i had a teacher tell me we won the vietnam (spelling?) war... so i remember seeing something about that on history channel and it didnt seem right.... so i went to the library and got some books and tried to ask the teacher why we pulled out of there and why this book says this...

long story short i got kicked out for thinking...

czgibson
05-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Greetings, Gossamer Skye,

No, I hadn't heard of Al'Idrisi. He sounds like an interesting chap - thanks for mentioning him.

Besides bringing him up for general interest, what larger points are you trying to make? It seems like you've got some sort of axe to grind, but I can't really make out what you mean.

Peace

جوري
05-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Greetings, Gossamer Skye,

No, I hadn't heard of Al'Idrisi. He sounds like an interesting chap - thanks for mentioning him.

Besides bringing him up for general interest, what larger points are you trying to make? It seems like you've got some sort of axe to grind, but I can't really make out what you mean.

Peace

I have no axe to grind with you or anyone else for that matter .. in fact out of the non-muslims on board I thought you'd be familiar with him given your status as a teacher?
It was nonetheless a reply to the OP on whether or not Muslims believed the earth flat or round, Al-Idrisi's globe representing the earth to Roger the II should be figured as a response, and my reply to you in the process is more a puzzlement over what it is taught in western curriculum when it comes to Islam as well to you over the general consensus in Europe that the earth was flat!

Hope that clears it up for you?..

all the best

czgibson
05-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
I have no axe to grind with you or anyone else for that matter .. in fact out of the non-muslims on board I thought you'd be familiar with him given your status as a teacher?
I'm always happy to learn, but I teach English and Music. I'm not sure my ignorance of Al'Idrisi will get me struck off. :D

I have heard of Crates of Mallus, though, and he is said to be the actual creator of the world's earliest known globe.

It was nonetheless a reply to the OP on whether or not Muslims believed the earth flat or round, Al-Idrisi's globe representing the earth to Roger the II should be figured as a response, and my reply to you in the process is more a puzzlement over what it is taught in western curriculum when it comes to Islam as well to you over the general consensus in Europe that the earth was flat!

Hope that clears it up for you?..
You clearly have some sort of axe to grind when it comes to what you call the "western curriculum". Beyond that I'm still none the wiser.

All the best to you too.

Peace

جوري
05-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Greetings,

I'm always happy to learn, but I teach English and music. I'm not sure my ignorance of Al'Adrisi will get me struck off. :D

I have heard of Crates of Mallus, though, and he is said to be the actual creator of the world's earliest known globe.
Greetings..
forgive my hasty reply but I need to be out the door in 7 mins..
1- this wasn't about the first globe, it is about whether or not Muslims thought the earth was flat.. it is always nice to cement your religious fervor or with some historical facts.. nonetheless ..Europe was heavily influenced by Christianity and the few who thought differently were tried as heretics Gallelio as a common example...

You clearly have some sort of axe to grind when it comes to what you call the "western curriculum". Beyond that I'm still none the wiser.

All the best to you too.

Peace
Indeed I am disappointed in the education system, but that doesn't simply cover history, many kids seem to lag behind in math, reading and science as well... but they are uptodate on sex :D i guess that is what matters most to middle and high school kids...

all the best

Muezzin
05-08-2009, 06:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grofica
its not that the students are lazy the classes are grossly negligent as you put it....

and the classes taught are inaccurate... in 5th grade i had a teacher tell me we won the vietnam (spelling?) war... so i remember seeing something about that on history channel and it didnt seem right.... so i went to the library and got some books and tried to ask the teacher why we pulled out of there and why this book says this...

long story short i got kicked out for thinking...
How many limbs did that teacher have?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.