/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hajj without Mecca

purplepong
03-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Hello everyone! I am a Catholic living in Australia, and as I know no Muslims personally, this is the only place I can go for answers on Islam. You'll probably see more of me in the future.

I have learned in my studies of Islam that one of the five pillars of Islam is Hajj, pilgrimage to Mecca. What would practicing Muslims do if, hypothetically, Mecca were destroyed, occupied, or were made otherwise unreachable?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aadil77
03-23-2009, 09:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by purplepong
Hello everyone! I am a Catholic living in Australia, and as I know no Muslims personally, this is the only place I can go for answers on Islam. You'll probably see more of me in the future.

I have learned in my studies of Islam that one of the five pillars of Islam is Hajj, pilgrimage to Mecca. What would practicing Muslims do if, hypothetically, Mecca were destroyed, occupied, or were made otherwise unreachable?
Well in that case its not possible to perform it, so it can't still be an obligation. The kabah is supposed to be destroyed as a sign of the day of judgement, but other than that I don't think anything of the sort will ever happen. Not performing hajj doesn't stop you from being muslim

coddles76
03-24-2009, 05:14 AM
Peace be upon you Purplepong,

You have raised a very good question and one which being a muslim I don't really ponder on much at all. The reason why I personally don't think about it much is because the Kabaa in Mecca is known as the house of Allah SWT and the centre of islamic faith were over 1.4Billion people turn to pray almost 5 times a day, A place were it has been reported that the Angel Jibraeel (alayhis salaam) flapped his wings to uncover a foundation laid in the seventh fold of the earth. Angels paved this foundation with stones and the Prophet Adam PBUH went round this structure following the example of the Angels. Therefore it stands to reason that Allah SWT contemplated and designated the Ka'aba before the creation of the earth. It is said that the Kaaba is a prototype of Baitul Mamoor, a house in the seventh Heaven situated immediately over the Kaaba. For this reason, I myself, believe that since the Kabaa is a designated house and area assigned by the Almighty Allah SWT, I have great confidence that it will be protected by him which has already been the case in history when a tribe had conspired together to try to destroy the Kabaa And Allah SWT destroyed the people in there attempt. The Hypothetical scenarios you raise will only occur if Allah SWT willed them to happen and Allah SWT has all power to protect his house in which he ordered to be created.

And Allah SWT knows best.

S_87
03-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Hello and welcome. I hope your stay here will be a good one and you learn and benifit.

Makkah is protected by God and so without it, there is no Hajj. no alternate place can be made for the hajj..it is the pilgrimage to makkah and that can never change. a muslim who has the means to perform hajj but has some difficulties getting there would atleast try to get in. but as i said, this is a very hypothetical question and if for some reason a person has a valid reason as to why they delay the pilgrimage (like lack of money/health issues etc) then God is The All-Knower

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
crayon
03-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Heya, welcome to the forums. :)

In regards to your question, we Muslims believe that the Ka'aba in Mecca, which we circumambulate during Hajj, will be destroyed eventually. It is a sign of the day of judgment, and when it is destroyed, Hajj will be discontinued. Until then, Mecca will remain Al-Balad Al-Amin, "the sacred land", and safe inshaAllah (God willing).

afzalaung
03-25-2009, 12:57 AM
slm..
While i agree with the confidence in God's personal assurance for the safety of Makkah, I beg to defer on the continuity of Hajj. (i'm no scholar, so please correct me if I'm wrong)

ITs a known fact that Ka'abah has been destroyed/damaged multiple times in the past, and has been rebuilt.Wouldnt we just rebuilt the Ka'abah?

After all, it is its location that makes it Holy...right?

peaceandlove
03-25-2009, 01:45 PM
:sl:
Welcome to the forum brother , and you are free to ask questions.

Now about your question ,Well its the House of Allah where people pray to Allah and Allah will protect it but what i think that you might be thinking (i might be wrong ) that Hajj is necessary for all Muslim whether they can reach Mecca or not ?

Brother , Hajj i necessary for only those Muslims who are fit and have all the necessary things available to them to reach Mecca like it must be healthy to reach Mecca , it has money and other resources to reach there.

Simply , if a person does not have available resources even by his utmost effrts , Hajj is not compulsory for him.

Thanks

purplepong
03-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Thank you all for your friendly and informative responses. I have always been in awe of the Hajj, such a huge gathering of people in the name of God. I myself was a pilgrim at World Youth Day in 2008, it was an amazing experience simply being in the company of so many faithful - I can only imagine what it would have been like had I been on sacred ground. Who among you have been to Mecca?

crayon
04-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Who among you have been to Mecca?
Quite a few of us, I imagine, I have alhamdullilah, for hajj once, and for umrah several times. It's an incredible experience.

coddles76
04-06-2009, 04:54 AM
Thank you all for your friendly and informative responses. I have always been in awe of the Hajj, such a huge gathering of people in the name of God. I myself was a pilgrim at World Youth Day in 2008, it was an amazing experience simply being in the company of so many faithful - I can only imagine what it would have been like had I been on sacred ground. Who among you have been to Mecca?
I haven't been yet but Almost everyone I have spoken to that have say its the most beautiful of personal experiences they have encountered. They all say the same thing which is basically "I cannot not explain it, you have to go a feel it for yourself".

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.