/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A suggestion

Ali.
03-25-2009, 05:55 PM
:sl:,

I was thinking the other day, wouldn't it be cool to have an option to delete your post for a duration of approximately 5 minutes after you have posted it? Why, you ask? You know when you make a post and decide 30 seconds later, "I shouldn't have posted that..", or, "what a silly post!", etc.

What d'ya think?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crayon
03-25-2009, 05:59 PM
Sort of like how we can delete reps for a couple minutes after we post them?
I think that would be cool, yeah.
Plus, it could be good with double posting.

But if this doesn't work, you could always write something, and leave it unposted for 5+ minutes. If you still want to post it when the 5 minutes are up, you could.

Intisar
03-25-2009, 06:02 PM
:sl: Can't you just press the edit button and delete your post. :ermm:

The Ruler
03-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Testing what Ameena* said...

After testing: Nope, no delete option present. Unless you meant leaving your post empty for a moderator to delete...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ali.
03-25-2009, 06:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameena*
But this is a more efficient idea. I'd personally rather the whole post gone, rather than a one minute later: "edit...............".

Güven
03-25-2009, 06:05 PM
good Idea , but what if people quote it within that 5 minutes ?

crayon
03-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Sadly, we regular folk don't have any mod superpowers- we can't delete our posts.

And that's a good point Guven, wonder how it would be possible to work around that, hmmm...

Uthman
03-25-2009, 06:11 PM
The delete option is available on other forums. This was brought up a long time ago when Kadafi was around but the idea didn't really fly with the admin team at that time.

Intisar
03-25-2009, 06:17 PM
My bad y'all, yeah I agree that it should be added inshaAllaah.

There's no time limit on editing posts is there? :?

The Ruler
03-25-2009, 06:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
Maybe that option could only be given to the thread starters? In which case, if the first post is deleted, the whole thread is deleted in effect... You know?

The Ruler
03-25-2009, 06:18 PM
There's no time limit on editing posts is there? :?
Yup, there is. About a month, I think. 40 days maximum.

Ali.
03-25-2009, 06:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
Well, quite unlikely if the post you're deleting is silly/bad/unconstructive, as no one would want to expand on that. Lol, you get me?

format_quote Originally Posted by The Ruler
Yup, there is. About a month, I think. 40 days maximum.
Ah.. that clears up some confusion for me then.

Woodrow
03-25-2009, 11:17 PM
It is a very good suggestion. It probably would have been implimented if there were not some drawbacks involved. I know that the vast majority of members would never abuse such a privilage, but periodically we do get members that join for the wrong reasons. Some things that would make us vulnerable to:

1. somebody could post an obscenity or a blsphemous post and delete it before any mod sees it.

2. We have more then a few highly intelligent young members that would soon discover it could be a nice way to carry on idle inter-gender conversations without us ever catching them.

If anybody can show that the advantages would out weigh possible abuse, I would be willing to discuss it with the other admins.

arabianprincess
03-26-2009, 01:52 AM
grt idea .. thats wat i was thinkin too... i was wondering how come we cant do that .. but yea im with it.. n i hope they do end up doing it.. salamz

Hafswa
03-26-2009, 09:37 AM
Like all great ideas, does have it's pros and cons but the mods could implement it and give a testing period of say 10 days and see if it does comply to the rules of the forum as well as have a poll to see if the feature does meet the users requirements as well.

Ali.
03-26-2009, 04:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
It is a very good suggestion. It probably would have been implimented if there were not some drawbacks involved. I know that the vast majority of members would never abuse such a privilage, but periodically we do get members that join for the wrong reasons. Some things that would make us vulnerable to:

1. somebody could post an obscenity or a blsphemous post and delete it before any mod sees it.

2. We have more then a few highly intelligent young members that would soon discover it could be a nice way to carry on idle inter-gender conversations without us ever catching them.

Hmm.. that's true.

If anybody can show that the advantages would out weigh possible abuse, I would be willing to discuss it with the other admins.
Alright, here we go.

Advantages:

• Availability to delete silly-sounding posts
  • Gives moderators a break from having to tiresomely delete posts with "[/i]editttt[/i]"
  • Cleans up the forum a bit so no 'empty' posts?
  • Gives a bit more choice and 'free-will' in a way to members
  • It's a nice feature
  • It's a useful feature

Disadvantages:

• somebody could post an obscenity or a blsphemous post and delete it before any mod sees it.
  • Idle-chat without being realised by mod's

But, with the first disadvantage, the post could be reported, the report and the comment about the post would stay there for the mod's to see and take action against the member.. it would rely on trusting members, though, or a copy of the post could be copied into the 'report a post' section that you mod's have? Or how about you limit this to full members only?

This post has probably sounded a little desperate, lol, but I'm just outweighing reasons, not whining/begging, lol.

Ali.
03-26-2009, 04:33 PM
^ That's also true!

The Ruler
03-27-2009, 03:58 PM
But the 'EDIT' feature can be used in a similar way. Besides, if anyone was to use something like a deletion feature to carry out idle inter-gender conversations, it'd be more stupid than intelligent. Other members can read/print screen. (It most certainly is amusing to print screen funny moments)...
Using the 'EDIT' button, one can remain 'on topic' (or rather, under the pretence of remaining on topic) and post a silly comment... Then 'EDIT' the post when necessary, no?

Woodrow
03-27-2009, 04:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali.
Hmm.. that's true.

Alright, here we go.

Advantages:

• Availability to delete silly-sounding posts
  • Gives moderators a break from having to tiresomely delete posts with "[/i]editttt[/i]"
  • Cleans up the forum a bit so no 'empty' posts?
  • Gives a bit more choice and 'free-will' in a way to members
  • It's a nice feature
  • It's a useful feature

Disadvantages:

• somebody could post an obscenity or a blsphemous post and delete it before any mod sees it.
  • Idle-chat without being realised by mod's

But, with the first disadvantage, the post could be reported, the report and the comment about the post would stay there for the mod's to see and take action against the member.. it would rely on trusting members, though, or a copy of the post could be copied into the 'report a post' section that you mod's have? Or how about you limit this to full members only?

This post has probably sounded a little desperate, lol, but I'm just outweighing reasons, not whining/begging, lol.

Good points. You presented a feasible reason. I will bring it up with the other admins.

I did just think of something tho. I am not to certain if that feature is even available with vBulletin, that also will have to be looked into.

Uthman
03-27-2009, 08:55 PM
I did just think of something tho. I am not to certain if that feature is even available with vBulletin, that also will have to be looked into.
It definitely is. :) They have it at other Vbulletin forums such as UI.

alcurad
03-27-2009, 09:49 PM
hmmm, I disagree, no delete button makes people think before posting.
besides the forum would die, there would only be nice squeaky clean posts from many members, this is of course an exaggeration :), but anyway, we have edit, that does the job.
the reason I say this is mainly when we first post it is indeed a post, with meaning, feelings etc, if it's not up to standards, we edit, but otherwise it's not going to change much. with delete, you can have newer/less experienced in debate members quickly deleting and 'conforming' rather than going through the steps necessary to evolve/gain more knowledge/ability, that is not good atleast in my book,,
saving a few kilobytes doesn't sound like an awfully noble deed :)

Yanal
03-28-2009, 08:10 PM
Just edit it and write like this:
Please delete this post.
Thats why we have mods.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.