/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I'raab?

Ummu Sufyaan
03-27-2009, 07:44 AM
:sl:
what does this term refer to exactly, and what is the purpose of it?
i mean i can kind of understand what it is by reading this
طلبُ العلمِ فريضةٌ علي كلِ مسلمٍ و مسلمةٍ

طلبُ = مضا ف
العلمِ= مضاف اليه
طالب - مبتدأ و هو مضاف
العلم - مضاف إليه
فريضة - خبر
على - حرف جر
كل - اسم مجرور و هو مضاف
مسلم - مضاف إليه
و - حرف عطف
مسلمة - اسم معطوف على ما قبل

http://lisanularab.org/forums/showthread.php?t=408

but i cant exactly grasp the point :?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MinAhlilHadeeth
03-27-2009, 11:43 AM
:salamext:

You mean what does the term I'raab mean?

If so, when you make I'raab of something, you're basically explaining the position of the particles found in the Arabic sentance structure, and unravelling each letter and finding it's meaning/purpose in the sentance as well as it's effect on the other words in the sentance. I hope that makes sense...

The above is an example of that.

islamlover_girl
03-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Alsalamo Alykom dear sister.
I`raab is a way to know (alharakat dama or fatha or kasra) of the last letter of a word ,it depends on its position and purpose in the sentence.
For example :
the last letter of the subject is always with dama , the last letter of the object is always with fatha and the last letter of a verb in the past tense is always with fatha.
ex:
أكلَ الولدُ اللحمَ (The boy ate the meat)
أكلَ (ate) the last letter is with fatha coz its a verb in the past tense.
الولدُ (the boy) the last letter is with dama because he is a subject in this sentence.
اللحمَ (The meat) the last letter is with fatha as it is an object in this sentence.

Another example :
Any word after a preposition its last letter is with kasra
ex:
فى المدرسةِ (In the school) the last letter of the word المدرسةِ is with kasra because it`s after a preposition.
every word in any arabic sentence have an i`raab which helps us to know the harakat of the last letter.

Mujahidah4Allah
03-27-2009, 08:53 PM

hmmm i had the impression you already knew about i'raab? but like the sisters above have explained...

wa/salam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummu Sufyaan
03-28-2009, 07:13 AM
barakallahu feekunna :)
okay dokie, i get what it means, but im still not getting the actual point of it
like for eg,
For example :
the last letter of the subject is always with dama , the last letter of the object is always with fatha and the last letter of a verb in the past tense is always with fatha.
but what is the actual point of me knowing why for eg a word ends in dhammah, etc :) i.e why would that be important to know. :-[

format_quote Originally Posted by Mujahidah4Allah

hmmm i had the impression you already knew about i'raab? but like the sisters above have explained...

wa/salam
lol maybe i do, but i dont know that i do :p

Ali.
03-28-2009, 09:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed

but what is the actual point of me knowing why for eg a word ends in dhammah, etc :) i.e why would that be important to know. :-[
Well, wouldn't it be nice to have some knowledge of Arabic grammar?

Learning grammar like this perfects your Arabic writing skills, and if you further study Arabic as a language this stuff gains you marks.

Silver Pearl
03-28-2009, 09:21 AM
It's so that you do not make mistakes while speaking etc, for example you wouldn't say Ilaa amreeki, because amreeka is mamnoo3 min sarf and harf jarr does not have an affect on it. If you do not know I'raab you're more prone to making mistakes. It also helps with hifdhul Qur'aan, wallaahu'3llam.

islamlover_girl
03-28-2009, 06:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed
That helps u to speak arabic without mistakes , the same word ends with damma in a position , ends with fatha in another position and ends with kasra in a third position.
ex:
الولد أكل الخبزَ (The boy ate the bread) here َالخبز (The bread) is with fatha as it is an object.
الجبن فى الخبزِ (The cheese is in the bread) here ِالخبز (The bread ) is with kasra as it is after a preposition.
الخبزُ شهى (The bread is tasteful) here الخبز ( The bread ) is with damma as it is at the begining of a nominal sentence (مبتدأ).
so u can`t know how to pronounce the last letter of any word until u know i`raab well.

جوري
03-29-2009, 04:31 PM
i3raab literally means parsing or inflictions (Analyze syntactically by assigning a constituent structure to (a sentence))I don't know if that is all you wanted on the matter?

but this site might be of some use to you insha'Allah:

A Student of His Students: A Story of Courage and Hope

Assalamu 'alaykum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

What of the most fascinating and inspiring Arabic personalities that I've come accross in my readings on Arabic grammar is a grammarian, as well as Hambali jurist, by the name of Abu al-Baqa' al-'Ukbari (b. 538 - d. 616) who, like many of the classical Muslim scholars, was versatile and schooled in a number of Arabic and Islamic disciplines. He was born in Baghdad which is basically where he lived all his life until he passed away (may Allah reward him for his services to the Arabic language). However, he is generally referred to as "al-'Ukbari" rather than "al-Baghdadi" the former referring to "'Ukbara", a village or town situated on the Tigris, between Baghdad and Samurra', and was known for its abundant fruit and good quality grapes.

Anyhow the most outstanding feature about Abu al-Baqa' al-'Ukbari was that he became blind due to contracting smallpox while still a child. This handicap, however, did not prevent him from acquiring knowledge in a number of fields but particularly in the field of Arabic studies. What is always fascinating to me about blind scholars is that we know for a fact that when they speak or write they have no recourse to books or visual aids at the time of doing so and can be said to solely depend on their own memories and other mental abilities. This is especially the case with scholars who did not enjoy the benefits of a technologically and scientifically advanced society. For one, I don't think Brail was available back then. In fact, al-'Ukbari was known to have committed tons of information to memory, and pre-occupied himself day and night with acquiring knowledge. This became possible for al-'Ukbari because he was blessed with dedicated and loyal students who read to him during the day, and a faithful wife who would read to him during the night. It is for this reason that al-'Ukbari received the title of تلميذ تلاميذه (the student of his students).

It is said that if he wanted to compose something, he would call for certain books to be read to him after which he would asked for them to be closed and paper and a stylus be brought so that he could start dictating and have the information written. Hence, it is not a strange that we find one of his best masterpieces going with the tile of إملاء ما منّ به الرحمن من وجوه الإعراب والقراءات في جميع القرآن (The Dictation of what has been bestowed (onto the author) by the al-Rahman as regards the various possibilities of I'rab and the Variant Readings in the Whole of the Qur'an). Here al-'Ukbari has brought together in a single volume what modern scholars could not do in 10 or 20 volumes, which is an I'rab of the entire Qur'an - an I'rab that does not only cover one Qur'anic reading but all the possible Qur'anic readings including those readings which have failed the test of a rigorously authenticated Qur'anic reading, known as the "al-Qira-at al-Shadh-dhah". So popular is al-'Ukbari's al-Imla' that it is oft-quoted as an important primary source in many of the subsequent Arabic grammatical works. It is not incorrect to say that al-'Ukbari's al-Imla' represents the quintessence of his knowledge on the Arabic sciences such as Lughah, Nahw, Sarf, Qira-at, and fruits of his wide and extensive readings of the works of his predecessors.

Some of al-'Ukbari's other works that have also enjoyed the attention of many scholars both past and present are:

(1) إعراب الحديث النبوي (I'rab of Prophetic Hadith)

(2) إعراب القراءات الشواذ (I'rab of the "Non-Standard" Variant Readings)

(3) اللباب في علل البناء والإعراب (the Essence of the Linguistic Causes of Indeclinability and Declinability), a masterpiece of 1st and 2nd order explanations of Arabic grammatical phenomena

(4) مسائل خلافية في النحو (Contentious Issues in Arabic Grammar)

5) A Commentary and I'rab of the famous pre-Islamic poem by al-Shanfara entitled لامية العرب (A Poem Rhyming in the Letter "Lam" about Arab Chivalry)

(6) A Commentary on al-Mutanabbi's Diwan

These are just to mention some of the works of a man who was not priviledged with one of the most important of our physical senses, namely, the sense of sight or vision, but then Allah opened up for him a much keener and sharper vision, namely, the vision of the intellect and the mind's eye, and now see the great intellectual legacy that this great mind has left behind. This is truly a case of someone who managed to turn a potential threat into an opportunity - an opportunity that not only benefitted him but countless of generations that came after him. His is indeed a story of courage and hope.

May Allah grant us the courage of the likes of Abu al-Baqa' al-'Ukbari to overcome our own shortcomings and human failings to achieve our goals and realise our dreams.

http://lisanularab.blogspot.com/2007...-students.html

islamlover_girl
03-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Do u know that i`rab may changes the meaning of a sentence completly.
For ex :

إنما يخشى اللهَ من عباده العلماءُ(Those truly fear Allah, among His Servants, who have knowledge). (surat Fatir ,Ayah28)

here we knew that العلماءُ is a subject when we found it ends with damma and اللهَ (swt) an object coz of the fatha .If the opposite happened (exchange damma and fatha) the meaning would completly be changed astghfaro Allah,so when we read quran we have to take care a lot about damma and fatha and kasra.

جوري
03-29-2009, 10:09 PM
^^ yup.. brilliant and simply to the point post sister islamlover-- Baraka Allah feeki

:w:

islamlover_girl
03-29-2009, 10:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
^^ yup.. brilliant and simply to the point post sister islamlover-- Baraka Allah feeki

:w:
wa Barak Allah feeki dear sister

islamlover_girl
04-01-2009, 12:05 AM
If any one needs help in I`raab any sentense just post it here and I ll make I`rab for it in shaa Allah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.