/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone!

PuraVida
03-30-2009, 02:46 AM
I hope that some people who have been Muslim or Islamic (the same meaning?) can usher me into this. I will give you my story and try to make it as short as possible:

I was raised a Christian. I don't view this as a completely false religion but perhaps not right for me. A friend of mine who claims to be Palestinian tells me that this is also his belief.

When I was in my upper-teens, around 18, I was, of course, starting to think about the world and also God. Like I said, I was raised Christian and through things I've seen... This made me know there was a God. It wasn't real important to me at the time, though... But I always admired the very adamant faith of all of the Muslims or Islamic people that I saw. I always thought, even back then, "Wow. I really respect how faithful these people are." At least the ones that I saw. I did not ever see this amongst Christians that I saw.

I always felt some connection to Islam, even back then. Something, I could feel in my chest... my heart... and/or my brain. I could feel that part of Islam was part of me. But I didn't know anything about it really and I didn't think about it more than I had to.

It's about ten years later now. A few years ago, I felt the need to reconnect with my spirituality. Being born a Christian, I thought, "Well, I'd better try to connect with some Christians who are my age I guess." I have never been unhappier. My life got so much worse that I cannot explain it to you. Perhaps I sought the wrong karmic or spiritual energy for me. I think it poisoned me.

In the last couple months, I realized what had happened. But I live in the United States and I was afraid to try to learn about Islam because certain elected leaders want people to believe that Islam is like the Christian idea of Satanism. Some people want you to categorize them as the same thing. I was afraid that I would be looked down upon, or worse yet, be branded a "terrorist" although I have never met an Islamic terrorist yet... and I have met a lot of people in my life.

Well... That feeling is back in my chest sometimes lately. I just know there is something about it for me. I've been looking for something, anything, which can help me define my beliefs. I've always been hardcore about God but like I said, when I tried to get with the Christians my age, it just didn't work out at all.

I can feel in my chest and my heart and my soul that there is something in Islam which calls me. I know that it might be the thing that answers the years of questions I've had. The questions about God. About the world. About nature and the Universe. I was always very aware that I respected these things. But the more I forgot Islam over the years, the more I forgot everything it seems like. Everything bad started happening... and kept happening.

I know this is long but this is important to me. I've been looking for an answer to my questions for years. I'm sure millions of people feel the same. I know there is something in this which beckons me. I feel as if its always been there but as if I know nothing. All I know is that I never had a problem being humble before God before I got involved in Christianity. Then everything went to sadness in my life. I cannot take the sadness of that anymore. I know that this is at least part of the answer for me. I have always felt it for many years but didn't know what to do about it.

P.S. I did learn from Christianity a certain way about how people are, how I am, and how to treat people. This is right.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
03-30-2009, 03:20 AM
Welcome to the Forum. Please feel free to ask questions. Look through the ards and gain some insight as to what we are and what we believe. You may be surprised that we are very much individuals and come in assorted flavors. It is hard to label specifically what a Muslim is other, then to say we all strive to serve Allaah(swt). We do adhere to common beliefs and ways of worship, but as people, we are from all races, all languages and all backgrounds.

Many of us here are reverts, having come from another religious following to this wonderful way of life.

to answer your first question:

Islam is an Arabic verb, it means "The action of submitting to God(swt)" a person who does Islam, that is a person who submits to God(swt) is a Muslim.

Islam=verb
Muslim=noun

PuraVida
03-30-2009, 03:29 AM
Thanks a lot for welcoming me! You wouldn't believe what just happened to me! I tried to get on Undernet (IRC) #islam... I said something to the effect of:

"I was afraid to learn about this for a while because I live in the United States and didn't want to be branded a terrorist."

They actually have software set up to ban you from #islam on Undernet if you use the word "terrorist."

So needless to say, I was unable to speak to anyone there who could tell me about this religion. In this country, you are basically 98% considered a terrorist if you are Muslim so I just wanted to make it clear that one of the considerations I took from Christianity was the way to treat people in that religion I think is right. It took me 28-29 years to see this value in Christianity even though I'll still choose that's it's not "my thing."

Whew... anyhow... Just shows, unfortunately, that what I thought was true. That if you're a Muslim in this country, you better get ready for some bad things to be said about you. Related: That's what happened to Christ's followers I guess.

PuraVida
03-30-2009, 03:40 AM
Just to say one more thing... I feel like I am making the biggest "sigh" right now that I can. My life has been horrible without God most times in the last 10 years. I know there is something for me. A way that I can relate to God somehow.

Perhaps the reason I've had problems is that I feel that persons of all religions should be very respectful and penetant to God. I've never met people who believe the things I do. I do not have a problem with being subservient to God. But all the Christians I've met here in the States, and there have been many, they all still do things like drink alcohol excessively and blasphemize and also engage in pre-marital sex. It makes me want to cry.

So I hope to find some people of REAL faith. I'm 29 years old and not getting any younger, trying to find some people who ACTUALLY believe in God... no matter WHAT they're religion is. I came here because I feel some connection to Islam. But I also definitely respect Buddism and Shinto, as well as Wakan Tanka (Native American).

I just want to find ANYONE on this Earth who believes as I do that God deserves some type of respect when you wake up and also when you go to sleep. I'm not ashamed of this belief of mine. So maybe you and some people here can show me that you are truly servants of God and not just fakers like all of the people I have met.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
03-30-2009, 04:02 AM
You will be surprised how many of us here are in the US. I am a former Texan now, living in the Dakotas usually on the Sioux reservations. I notice you used the words Wakan Tanka I believe that is in Tsalagi. Second wife was Cherokee and was fluent in Tsalagi. My current wife is Cheyenne, from the North Cheyenne Reservation in Wyoming. I am currently trying to learn Lakota as we live mostly among the Lakota Sioux

coddles76
03-30-2009, 04:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PuraVida
I just want to find ANYONE on this Earth who believes as I do that God deserves some type of respect when you wake up and also when you go to sleep. I'm not ashamed of this belief of mine. So maybe you and some people here can show me that you are truly servants of God and not just fakers like all of the people I have met.
Peace be upon you,

You have found someone, and I can say that only in Islam have I found the connection with Allah SWT. When I wake up Allah SWT is on my mind and before I go to sleep Allah SWT is on my mind, I feel I have a love for him for the beautiful things he has provided for me. I feel its my duty to show some gratitude for the gifts and the creation he has provided for us. When things get down, I turn to him, when things are going well for me I thanks him continously. Its when I start to weaken in my worship to Allah SWT that my life starts to go heywire and then I force myself to gather that connection again which purely explains that WE ALL need that connection with Allah SWT otherwise our lives will feel empty.
I pray that you find that connection and fill your life with that love that most muslims feel on a daily bases.

Shukri18
03-30-2009, 05:01 AM

Whew... anyhow... Just shows, unfortunately, that what I thought was true. That if you're a Muslim in this country, you better get ready for some bad things to be said about you. Related: That's what happened to Christ's followers I guess.
Welcome to the LI:)
My mother is originally from Somalia and my father is from South Africa, I was born in Morocco, but my siblings and I were raised in the states. To get to the point I have been living in the states for about 16years now and have never encountered any sort of prejudice or discrimination because of my religion. At times I would get the "are you oppressed?" questions form people, because I started to wear hijab. hahha I would get into the discussion of "well If i'm oppressed that means the Virgin Mary was oppressed, cause she covers the same parts I do"
Back to the point many people have the misconception that all American think Muslims are terrorist and have bombs strapped onto themselves, but I've met a handful of Americans who are the most sincere and open-minded folks I know. Remember Islam to terrorism is like Christianity to KKK.

Woodrow
03-30-2009, 05:24 AM
Most of us Muslims in the USA never run into any harassment. I find people to be more curious, then wanting to label us terrorists. My wife and myself do considerable traveling and have yet to have any bad experiences. On more then one occasion we have broken down and strangers have stopped to help us. We do dress in sunnah clothing when travelling and it is obvious we are Muslim. No bad experiences yet, Mashallah

Shukri18
03-30-2009, 10:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Most of us Muslims in the USA never run into any harassment. I find people to be more curious, then wanting to label us terrorists. My wife and myself do considerable traveling and have yet to have any bad experiences. On more then one occasion we have broken down and strangers have stopped to help us. We do dress in sunnah clothing when travelling and it is obvious we are Muslim. No bad experiences yet, Mashallah
Mash'allah that's good!
I just started wearing the abaya every day, to school and everywhere else. It feels pretty good and powering. I haven't gotten any harassing about it, alhamdulillah.
Soon, insha'allah I will be wearing the nikab; insha'allah that will go well.

Suhaib Jobst
03-31-2009, 03:24 AM
I was raised a Christian. I don't view this as a completely false religion but perhaps not right for me.
I am a convert to Islam from a Christian background. What I have found is that Islam affirms that which was beneficial from Christianity, even going so far to magnify these good qualities, while at the same time it clarifies those errors which were added later and obscured the true message of Prophet Jesus, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him.

But I always admired the very adamant faith of all of the Muslims or Islamic people that I saw. I always thought, even back
then, "Wow. I really respect how faithful these people are." At least the ones that I saw. I did not ever see this amongst Christians that I saw.
I truly do believe that if the Christian wishes the sincerely implement his or her faith, then he or she would have no other choice but to become drawn towards Islam. For I have found that the message of Prophet Muhammad, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, are fully complementary to those pristine elements of the message of the Christ.

I would humbly advise that you read and ponder chapter 19 of the Qur'an, as its description of Prophet Jesus and the blessed Virgin Mary, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon them both, cannot but touch the heart of the sincere Christian (or those who come from a Christian background). At least this is my own experience as a former Christian who was himself deeply touched by these verses.

I always felt some connection to Islam, even back then. Something, I could feel in my chest... my heart... and/or my brain. I could feel that part of Islam was part of me. But I didn't know anything about it really and I didn't think about it more than I had to.
What you are describing is the fitra, because it is something that I also felt at a certain point in my life. I did not know any Muslims but after undertaking serious research and reflection, I found myself drawn towards Islam to such an extent that I went to the local mosque and confessed my faith (Shahada) in front of strangers. The fitra cannot be described but it must be felt, as it is the natural state at its most pristine, free from external influences.

But I live in the United States and I was afraid to try to learn about Islam because certain elected leaders want people to believe that Islam is like the Christian idea of Satanism. Some people want you to categorize them as the same thing.
This is how the socio-political and economic system operates, via its massive informational matrix which manufactures public consent and manipulates the attitudes of people who make up this conglomerate called society. Divide and conquer is the classic manner of how any ruling or hierarchical elite will govern the masses. However, we must not give them more power than they actually have.

As you can see to the left, I also reside in the United States, even in an area regarded as a bastion of Christianity. And yet I have found that people will often develop their own attitudes and not accept everything which is given to them on a silver platter. When people interact with each other as individuals, then this is a powerful reaction which tends to cut away even the most ill-informed stereotypes.

I was afraid that I would be looked down upon, or worse yet, be branded a "terrorist" although I have never met an Islamic terrorist yet... and I have met a lot of people in my life.
We as individuals often let our fears and emotions get the better of us. But if you reflect upon previous experiences, you will probably notice that these irrational fears very rarely came to fruition once you broke away from letting this emotion control you. The One God will help facilitate those individuals who move sincerely to Him, allowing them to overcome easily any potential obstacles which come their way.

I did learn from Christianity a certain way about how people are, how I am, and how to treat people. This is right.
As I expressed earlier, Islam is complementary to the true message of Jesus at every level, magnifying those beneficial aspects which were preserved and clarifying those errors which were falsely attached later and obscured this true message. You also described the effects of having belief in the One God, which is known as tawhid (Divine Unity) to the Muslims.

As we draw closer to the One Creator, we also come to re-discover ourselves, becoming more harmonious with our fitra. And such a sincere belief will translate into courteous behavior towards others, because those more at peace with themselves will naturally be more at peace with others. And rather than treating you as a pariah, the average individual will actually come to admire and respect you.

- Qatada -
04-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Hey, i believe that this article will be of alot of use to you :)

plz do read it;

The Qur'an speaks of Happiness

The concept of happiness in Islam is expressed in the Qur’ân and Sunnah in a number of different ways. First, we find the Qur’ân discussing the “good life”. Allah says: “Whosoever does right, whether male or female, and is a believer, we shall make them live a good life, and We shall pay them a recompense in proportion to the best of what they used to do.” [Sûrah al-Nahl: 97]

This “good life” is happiness itself. It is realized through faith and good deeds. This does not mean that we will not face difficulties in our good life. Our worldly lives, even when they are bolstered by faith and good works, are never free from distress and vexations. This world is the abode of toil, as Allah says: “Certainly We have created man to be in toil.” [Sûrah al-Balad: 90]

This world is the abode of tests and trials. Allah says: “Verily We created Man from a drop of mingled sperm, in order to try him: so We gave him (the gifts) of hearing and sight.” [Sûrah al-Insân: 2]

Allah also says: “Every soul shall have a taste of death: and We test you by evil and by good by way of trial, and to Us is your return.” [Sûrah al-Anbiyâ’: 35]

The concept of happiness is also expressed in the Qur’ân as a negation of wretchedness and misguidance. It is also expressed through by contrasting it with the description, of a narrow, straightened life.

Allah says: “But he who turns away from remembrance of Me, his will be a narrow life, and I shall bring him blind to the assembly on the Day of Resurrection.” [Sûrah TâHâ: 124]

Wretchedness is the opposite of happiness. It is a state of being bereft of Allah’s remembrance. The way to distance oneself from wretchedness is to follow the path of guidance. This is what brings about happiness.

The Qur’ân also uses the concept of “the openness of the heart” to express happiness. Allah says: “Those whom Allah wills to guide, He opens their breast to Islam; those whom He wills to leave straying, He makes their breast close and constricted, as if they had to climb up to the skies: thus does Allah (heap) the penalty on those who refuse to believe.” [Sûrah al-An`âm: 125]

Another expression is the “contentment of the heart”. Allah says: “Those who believe, and whose hearts find contentment in the remembrance of Allah: for without doubt in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find contentment.” [Sûrah al-Ra`d: 28]

The contentment and openness of the heart are aspects of happiness which are achieved through keeping up the remembrance of Allah and through following the guidance of Islam. Total and perfect happiness is achieved through true devotion in worship to Allah, salvation from Hell, and admission to Paradise in the Hereafter.

Allah says: “On the day when it shall come, no soul shall speak except with His permission, then (some) of them shall be unhappy and (others) happy. Those who are wretched shall be in the Fire: There will be for them therein (nothing but) the heaving of sighs and sobs. Abiding therein so long as the heavens and the earth endure, except as your Lord please; surely your Lord is the mighty doer of what He intends. And as to those who are made happy, they shall be in the garden, abiding in it as long as the heavens and the earth endure, except as your Lord please; a gift which shall never be cut off.” [Sûrah Hûd: 105-108]

Believers can be tested with tribulations and illness, though when they are granted patience to endure and they seek their reward with their Lord, it is best for them. Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: “How amazing are the believer’s affairs; all his affairs are good for him. If good befalls him, he is grateful and that is good for him, and if he is afflicted by calamity he is patient and that is also good for him. This is only for the believer.” [Sahîh Muslim]

Ibn Mas`ûd said: “Allah has placed ease and happiness in certainty of faith and contentment. He has placed worry and misery in discontent and doubt.”

The contentment that Ibn Mas`ûd is referring to here is to be reconciled to Allah’s decree and with the portion that Allah has allotted to His servant. This is the way to attain peace of mind and happiness. By contrast, being discontented and resentful about one’s circumstances, unsatisfied with one’s portion that Allah has allotted, and having doubts about one’s faith, this is the way to anxiety, misery, and distress.

I ask Allah to make us all among those who attain happiness.

http://www.islamtoday.com/showme2.cf...sub_cat_id=869

I hope you can check out these links to since they may address alot of your questions;

http://muslimconverts.com
http://islamreligion.com

AntiKarateKid
04-10-2009, 03:40 AM
Hey PuraVida, chin up. You are already farther than most of the world in your realization of God and your affinity towards Islam.

If you want to really "feel Islam" i recommend you buying a Quran. A good interpretation is Yusuf Ali's "Meaning of the Holy Quran."

Also, listen to recitations of the Quran on youtube or such. The Prophet pbuh converted people by just reciting the Quran to them. Here is a good place to start.

http://alafasy.tripod.com/

I am particularly fond of surah Layl on there.

Here is something for you, Allah recounts his mercies toward us in this surah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riW4W66ptqI

islamlover_girl
04-11-2009, 11:00 PM
I have never met an Islamic terrorist yet... and I have met a lot of people in my life.
I live in an Islamic country which is Egypt,I met in my life thousands and thousands of muslims ,I never met an Islamic terrorist yet too.
When I meet any muslim the more religious he is the better way he treat people in.

In Islam every act u do in ur life have to be for the sake of God , so if u smile for ur brother , work hard , seek knowledge , helps somebody , forgive somebody who hurt u , control yourself when angry ,all of these are worship for Allah,Islam is a way of life,worship for Allah since u wake up till u go to bed.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!