/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The big question

Karina
04-05-2009, 01:51 PM
I apologise sincerely if this has already been covered here - I did a search and couldn't find anything....

Anyway, I was just curious what the Islamic perspective is on this question:

"What is the purpose of life?"

I don't mean in terms of the conscious decisions you make to select your pathway to Jannah or Jahannam...... I just wondered why, in Islam, Allah put us all here.

When He created earth and the people on it, was that in turn His ultimate purpose in life? And if so, who or what gave Him the inspiration to do this? Or is it just one of those things that is His prerogative and should not be questioned.

I feel a bit silly asking this question as it's so, well, simple... but I was really interested in getting your opinions :embarrass

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S_87
04-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Peace

the Quran tells us why we were created and it is for one reason only:

And I (Allah) created not the jinn and mankind except that they should worship me (Alone).
51:56

and keep asking questions, they arent silly at all :)

coddles76
04-05-2009, 02:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Karina
I apologise sincerely if this has already been covered here - I did a search and couldn't find anything....

Anyway, I was just curious what the Islamic perspective is on this question:

"What is the purpose of life?"

I don't mean in terms of the conscious decisions you make to select your pathway to Jannah or Jahannam...... I just wondered why, in Islam, Allah put us all here.

When He created earth and the people on it, was that in turn His ultimate purpose in life? And if so, who or what gave Him the inspiration to do this? Or is it just one of those things that is His prerogative and should not be questioned.

I feel a bit silly asking this question as it's so, well, simple... but I was really interested in getting your opinions :embarrass
Allah SWT has an answer for you, I'll let him answer

[Quran 51-56]"I have only created Jinns and men, that they may serve Me"

[Quran 11:7]"He it is Who created the heavens and the earth in six Days—and His Throne was over the waters—that He might try you, which of you is best in conduct..."

xxxx2
04-05-2009, 02:15 PM
hi

it is a question that at certain time in our life all have come accrosss and asked our self why, for us who havent been tough Islaam since young or knew about Islaam before.

How do Muslims view the nature of man, the purpose of life and the Hereafter?

In the Holy Qur'aan, God teaches human beings that they were created in order to worship Him, and that the basis of all true worship is God-consciousness.

Since the teachings of Islaamic encompass all aspects of life and ethics, God-consciousness is encouraged in all human affairs. Islaam makes it clear that all human acts are acts of worship if they are done for God alone and in accordance to His Divine Law. As such, worship in Islaam is not limited to religious rituals.

The teachings of Islaam act as a mercy and a healing for the human soul, and such qualities as humility, sincerity, patience and charity are strongly encouraged. Additionally, Islaam condemns pride and self-righteousness, since Almighty God is the only judge of human righteousness.

The Islaamic view of the nature of man is also realistic and well-balanced. Human beings are not believed to be inherently sinful, but are seen as equally capable of both good and evil. Islaam also teaches that faith and action go hand-in-hand.

God has given people free-will, and the measure of one's faith is one's deeds and actions. However, human beings have also been created weak and regularly fall into sin. This is the nature of the human being as created by God in His Wisdom, and it is not inherently "corrupt" or in need of repair. This is because the avenue of repentance of always open to all human beings, and Almighty God loves the repentant sinner more than one who does not sin at all. The true balance of an Islaamic life is established by having a healthy fear of God as well as a sincere belief in His infinite Mercy.

A life without fear of God leads to sin and disobedience, while believing that we have sinned so much that God will not possibly forgive us only leads to despair. In light of this, Islaam teaches that: only the misguided despair of the Mercy of their Lord. Additionally, the Holy Qur'aan, which was revealed to the Prophet Muhammad, contains a great deal of teachings about the life hereafter and the Day of Judgement. Due to this, Muslims believe that all human beings will ultimately be judged by God for their beliefs and actions in their earthly lives. In judging human beings, Almighty God will be both Merciful and Just, and people will only be judged for what they were capable of. Suffice it to say that Islaam teaches that life is a test, and that all human beings will be accountable before God. A sincere belief in the life hereafter is key to leading a well-balanced life and moral. Otherwise, life is viewed as an end in itself, which causes human beings to become more selfish, materialistic and immoral.

SOURCE:http://www.fatwa-online.com/aboutislaam/0020224_07.htm

And to add one more thing i would like to suggest you to read the following:

The Belief in Allaah - Evidences of His Existence.pdf
http://understand-islam.net/Articles...efinAllaah.pdf

Creation versus Evolution — Darwin.pdf
http://understand-islam.net/Books/DARWIN.pdf

Knowing Allaah -Purpose of our Existence.pdf
http://understand-islam.net/Articles/KnowingAllaah.pdf

Purpose Behind Creation - Return to Creator.pdf
http://understand-islam.net/Books/Pu...ndCreation.pdf

the link to above ebooks and more incase the above links dont work (as it seem sometime the links dont open directly only within the website) click the following link http://understand-islam.net/site/ind...=143&Itemid=16

May Allah peace and belessing be upon those who follow the right path

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Karina
04-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate all of your answers so far.

I suppose I really wanted to get right down to the basics - more along the lines of Allah's actual motivations for creating the earth and all life upon it.

I understand that He wants us to worship Him without question and that our actions in life will determine what happens to us in the afterlife, but the thing that I find difficult to grasp is Allah's fundamental reason for creating us all. Surely it can't just be for the sole purpose of having people to worship Him? That would be very self-indulgent! Or maybe I am thinking of Him too much in the form of a "person" who has to have motivations for everything they do.

I think from what you're saying it may be a case of people accepting that Allah has made certain demands of us and has His own "reasons" for creating us and that we must not delve to deeply into this. Is this what you mean?

Sorry if I didn't explain things clearly initially!! :sunny:

S_87
04-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Yes our sole purpose is to worship Allah. And how can that be self indulgent when we have been blessed with so much? The mercy that Allah has bestowed onto His servants cannot be thought of and indeed those who obeyed Allah will even be rewarded for what we have been creatd to do. I dont know if these verses may answer exactly what you are trying to find out but i hope it may:

Surah 2..

30 And (remember) when your Lord said to the angels: "Verily, I am going to place (mankind) generations after generations on earth." They said: "Will You place therein those who will make mischief therein and shed blood, - while we glorify You with praises and thanks and sanctify You." He (Allah) said: "I know that which you do not know."

31 And He taught Adam all the names (of everything) , then He showed them to the angels and said, "Tell Me the names of these if you are truthful."

32 They (angels) said: "Glory be to You, we have no knowledge except what you have taught us. Verily, it is You, the All-Knower, the All-Wise."

33 He said: "O Adam! Inform them of their names," and when he had informed them of their names, He said: "Did I not tell you that I know the Ghaib (Unseen) in the heavens and the earth, and I know what you reveal and what you have been concealing?"

34 And (remember) when We said to the angels: "Prostrate yourselves before Adam.". And they prostrated except Iblis (Satan), he refused and was proud and was one of the disbelievers (disobedient to Allah).

35 And We said: "O Adam! Dwell you and your wife in the Paradise and eat both of you freely with pleasure and delight, of things therein as wherever you will, but come not near this tree or you both will be of the Zalimun (wrong-doers)."

36 Then the Shaitan (Satan) made them slip therefrom (the Paradise), and got them out from that in which they were. We said: "Get you down, all, with enmity between yourselves. On earth will be a dwelling place for you and an enjoyment for a time."

37 Then Adam received from his Lord Words. And his Lord pardoned him (accepted his repentance). Verily, He is the One Who forgives (accepts repentance), the Most Merciful.

38 We said: "Get down all of you from this place (the Paradise), then whenever there comes to you Guidance from Me, and whoever follows My Guidance, there shall be no fear on them, nor shall they grieve.

39 But those who disbelieve and belie Our Ayat (proofs, evidence, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) - such are the dwellers of the Fire. They shall abide therein forever.

alcurad
04-06-2009, 09:44 PM
we wanted to exist, so we existed.
now that we do exist, we seek, and in doing so we come closer to the creator, as we were before.

Chuck
04-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Surely it can't just be for the sole purpose of having people to worship Him? That would be very self-indulgent! Or maybe I am thinking of Him too much in the form of a "person" who has to have motivations for everything they do.
What else Allah suppose create us for?

Next relevant question is what is meant by serving Him or worshiping God in Islam.

- Qatada -
04-10-2009, 05:30 PM
We could divert the point abit and look at this verse;

Who has created death and life, that He may test you which of you is best in deed.
And He is the All-Mighty, the Oft-Forgiving;
[Qur'an 67:2]

So Allah sends us as His servants on the earth to see which of us would do the best, who would reach the highest goals, and become in a state of perfection (although he/she may fall into errors on the way - but this is part of the journey to perfection.) So He is the Almighty, and the forgiving because He knows we will fall into error/sins on the way - so He wants to forgive us when we turn to Him.

So imagine, Allah has made us while knowing we will make mistakes, but due to these mistakes we don't become arrogant (because we have deficiencies), however - we strive as best as we can do be of those who are 'best in deed'. This perfection may imply that we do good to those who harm us, that we keep our family ties even if they might break up with us, that we do good to those who harm us (with which Allah tells us that they will become like a close friend with patience.) To serve Allah and His creation so we are of benefit to everyone, while drawing close to Him so He is pleased with us, and rewards this person for the best of their deeds.

Yanal
04-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Nice question "the purpose of life" This will probably the answer of most Muslims because us(Muslims) only have one main/primary focus and that is to follow the instructions of Allah our god. In order for us to do that we need to follow our five pillars,if we fulfill them by the time our death comes/arrives we will get granted a place in heaven. If we fail to complete at least four(excluding hajj for the poor) we will more likely get a place in hell.

And in order for us to complete our purpose in life all of what is said is suppose to be completed. That is our purpose in this life full of tests. Hopefully that answered your question to an extent. Anymore questions feel free to ask. And the five pillars are 1) Believe in Allah and his messangers 2)give charity 3)Pray all 5 times 4) Fast in Ramadhan and 5) go to hajj if you can afford it.

nihil est
04-12-2009, 08:37 AM
Yes our sole purpose is to worship Allah. And how can that be self indulgent when we have been blessed with so much? The mercy that Allah has bestowed onto His servants cannot be thought of and indeed those who obeyed Allah will even be rewarded for what we have been creatd to do. I dont know if these verses may answer exactly what you are trying to find out but i hope it may
H
If he wanted people to worship him, I'm sure God could have created a bunch of robots who'd worship him day and night. Instead, he created people with free will, knwoing that many if not most us would not worship him and fall away into sin. Yet he still creates us. Doesn't he care that most of us will go to Hell to be tortured for ever and ever? That is incredibly callous.

Chuck
04-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Read the following article, it is relevant to this discussion: http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...re-one-us.html

جوري
04-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate all of your answers so far.

I suppose I really wanted to get right down to the basics - more along the lines of Allah's actual motivations for creating the earth and all life upon it.
! :sunny:
We don't know of Allah swt 'motivation' for creation, we know merely our sole reason for existing. We might not be his most important of creation at all, as evidenced by the first verse of suret Al insan:

بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيمِ
هَلْ أَتَى عَلَى الْإِنسَانِ حِينٌ مِّنَ الدَّهْرِ لَمْ يَكُن شَيْئًا مَّذْكُورًا {1}
[Yusufali 76:1] Has there not been over Man a long period of Time, when he was nothing - (not even) mentioned?

So to sum it up for you, our purpose for creation 'defined', and none of us can speak for God's plan or 'motivation' thus his intention motivation for creation is 'undefined'

Hope that answered your Q

all the best

جوري
04-12-2009, 11:57 PM
Greetings:

format_quote Originally Posted by nihil est
H
If he wanted people to worship him, I'm sure God could have created a bunch of robots who'd worship him day and night.
Indeed, the purpose of Angels is to worship day and night, so there is in fact in creation those who worship day and night!

Instead, he created people with free will, knwoing that many if not most us would not worship him and fall away into sin.
The difference between us and other creatures who worship around the clock indeed is our free will.
and thus, God gave us the opportunity at not just a wondrous life, but a chance for immortality and eternity, I ran a poll once here asking people if they could keep perceptual youth on this earth, along with their loved ones, and see the evolution in arts, science, literature if they'd grab that opportunity or choose death, and the surprising majority decided on life until 'they bored of it' -- well, if there is an opportunity at a better life that is eternal I believe the majority of discerning individuals would indeed cease that opportunity.
We are all born with the knowledge of the world already in us, you find atheists and theists discussing God just the same in a relentless manner. It isn't something we can extricate out of the fiber of our being... Those who remain astray do so by choice.. I'd refrain from thinking it the greater majority since you have ran no formal studies on the matter!

Yet he still creates us. Doesn't he care that most of us will go to Hell to be tortured for ever and ever? That is incredibly callous.
Who said he doesn't care? centuries upon centuries of messengers, repeating the same message:
[Pickthal 21:1] Their reckoning draweth nigh for mankind, while they turn away in heedlessness.
[Pickthal 21:2] Never cometh there unto them a new reminder from their Lord but they listen to it while they play,
[Pickthal 21:3] With hearts preoccupied. And they confer in secret. The wrong-doers say: Is this other than a mortal like you? Will ye then succumb to magic when ye see (it)?
[Pickthal 21:4] He saith: My Lord knoweth what is spoken in the heaven and the earth. He is the Hearer, the Knower.
[Pickthal 21:5] Nay, say they, (these are but) muddled dreams; nay, he hath but invented it; nay, he is but a poet. Let him bring us a portent even as those of old (who were Allah's messengers) were sent (with portents).
[Pickthal 21:6] Not a township believed of those which We destroyed before them (though We sent them portents): would they then believe?
[Pickthal 21:7] And We sent not (as Our messengers) before thee other than men, whom We inspired. Ask the followers of the Reminder if ye know not?
and you expect that it is God that should be held responsible for your deeds?
If I entrusted you to the care of my house, left you all material and good, promised you, that as you found it, if you uphold what I ask you shall have endless rewards and asked you simply keep my house and follow these simple rules, keep my pets alive, and the house clean, and instead of you upholding my rules, simple as they are, I find my house in ruins, in filth and my pets dead and the place in shambles and you'd go so far as to blame me for it? what kind of logic is that really?

You are responsible for what you do. All you needed was to be warned of consequence no more no less.

all the best

nihil est
04-13-2009, 01:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
Greetings:

Indeed, the purpose of Angels is to worship day and night, so there is in fact in creation those who worship day and night!
Then why did God create us? It cannot be a desire for worship, I'm sure he has that in spades.
The difference between us and other creatures who worship around the clock indeed is our free will.
and thus, God gave us the opportunity at not just a wondrous life, but a chance for immortality and eternity, I ran a poll once here asking people if they could keep perceptual youth on this earth, along with their loved ones, and see the evolution in arts, science, literature if they'd grab that opportunity or choose death, and the surprising majority decided on life until 'they bored of it' -- well, if there is an opportunity at a better life that is eternal I believe the majority of discerning individuals would indeed cease that opportunity.
The problem is not that God created us to give us the gift of immortality. The problem is that God created us in order to give us the opportunity, the mere chance to recieve immortality as a gift. The problem is that we can fail, and in fact a lot of us do not recieve this eternal benefit. We're instead confined to punishment in Hell for all eternity.
Who said he doesn't care? centuries upon centuries of messengers, repeating the same message:[INDENT][B][Pickthal 21:1] Their reckoning draweth nigh for mankind, while they turn away in heedlessness.
If he cared, he would not have created those whom he knew would turn away from Islam.
If I entrusted you to the care of my house, left you all material and good, promised you, that as you found it, if you uphold what I ask you shall have endless rewards and asked you simply keep my house and follow these simple rules, keep my pets alive, and the house clean, and instead of you upholding my rules, simple as they are, I find my house in ruins, in filth and my pets dead and the place in shambles and you'd go so far as to blame me for it? what kind of logic is that really?
I'd blame you if you knew I'd mess up, put me in charge of the house anyway, and then you threw me into prison. If you cared about the suffering of me at all, you would never have left me in charge.

- Qatada -
04-13-2009, 03:55 PM
http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/40/

Humans do not know their destination, so they have to follow the guidance which Allah sent in order to be successful.

So we are told what we are required to enter Paradise, and what we are forbidden to do - since that would lead to the fire. We are not told where we will end up, so we strive for paradise. If we don't try to reach it, then by default - you will go to the opposite and recieve punishment for being ungrateful to Allah for His blessings, and because of your rejection of His Message.

جوري
04-13-2009, 04:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nihil est
Then why did God create us? It cannot be a desire for worship, I'm sure he has that in spades.
It doesn't seem like the sort of question you ought to direct at a fellow human being!

The problem is not that God created us to give us the gift of immortality. The problem is that God created us in order to give us the opportunity, the mere chance to recieve immortality as a gift. The problem is that we can fail, and in fact a lot of us do not recieve this eternal benefit. We're instead confined to punishment in Hell for all eternity.
Such is the case with everything where a chance is granted.. for instance you love engineering, you'd like to be an architect.. you want to be the best there is, but you slack off, you'll drop out and be a bum, that is really no ones problem but yours for not giving it your all.. and unlike academia where the cut off for an exam is 75, and if you get a 73 you are screwed, Allah swt has assigned to himself the law of grace and mercy to overtake his punishment if your intent were true..
chance after chance, gift after gift, I say if you end up in hell, you'll have no one to blame but your own person!

If he cared, he would not have created those whom he knew would turn away from Islam.
see above reply!

I'd blame you if you knew I'd mess up, put me in charge of the house anyway, and then you threw me into prison. If you cared about the suffering of me at all, you would never have left me in charge.
yes but you were asked in advance and you decided you would love the opportunity.. it seems incredibly juvenile to come around after you have messed up and make it my fault.. All souls according to Islamic fiqh have taken an oath to worship, and we are all born with all the innate knowledge and instinct to find our creator just the same... if you desired eternity, and immortality and the righteous path you'd seek it.. it is a one person effort..

and Allah swt knows best..

peace

- Qatada -
04-15-2009, 06:32 PM
asalam alykum

Sis Gossamer, in regard to your last point, we could simply argue that we are infact enjoying these blessings by using what has been given to us. Ie. A bed to sleep on, or the internet for our research, and an intellect.

Whether we affirm or deny this, its a reality which we are accountable for.

In regard to worship, it can be anything which earns the pleasure of Allah, from prayer to picking up a stick from the road which may harm a person passing by.

alcurad
04-15-2009, 06:38 PM
mankind has art to compensate for what it doesn't have, or what it can't reach.
religion is the highest expression of that desire to reach-since the creator is absolute there is no end to our desire to reach him, the more we advance in all walks of life-as a species/individuals- we desire more accordingly.
through religion we are closer to the absolute-The Creator, it is a continuous process, one that actually never ends.
worshiping the creator is our purpose in life, worship is either direct supplication such as prayer, or indirect through knowing more of his creation/science etc.

AntiKarateKid
04-15-2009, 09:22 PM
Honestly on the most practical level, I'm fine with being a servant of Allah.

Do good deeds for 90 years, earn your place in heaven, please your creator. You're good to go for eternity.

Must....get....firdaws!

FatimaAsSideqah
04-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Greetings.

Our life here on earth although short, is full of purpose and is totally meaningful within the complete framework of total submission (Islam).

Similarly, in the Next Life as well, our faith, intentions, attitudes and good deeds will all be weighed into our account as favorable putting us in high esteem with our Creator and Sustainer.

Because Islam teaches that this life is only a test or trial for the individual to show us our true nature it is only natural that we would accept death as not so much an ending to everything but more as a beginning of the final and lasting life in the Hereafter.

Thinker
04-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Surely it can't just be for the sole purpose of having people to worship Him? That would be very self-indulgent!
Entirely so . . . . . First we define God . . . a perfect entity, all seeing all knowing, justice personified. Those are things a God must be, things God mustn’t be are the opposites of all those thing and also God cannot suffer human emotions like envy or avariciousness. Here it is suggested that, in the beginning there was God and nothing else and that God out of the need to be worshipped created men i.e. God is a bored, lonely individual with feelings!!

- Qatada -
04-19-2009, 03:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Thinker
Entirely so . . . . . First we define God . . . a perfect entity, all seeing all knowing, justice personified. Those are things a God must be, things God mustn’t be are the opposites of all those thing and also God cannot suffer human emotions like envy or avariciousness. Here it is suggested that, in the beginning there was God and nothing else and that God out of the need to be worshipped created men i.e. God is a bored, lonely individual with feelings!!

Question If God is so perfect, why does He need us to worship Him?

Answer:

First of all, what is worship? Worship is to do an act which Allah/God loves, whether its praying to Him, helping the needy, helping society become a better place, even small factors such as feeding your family and providing for them - with the intent of pl

Allah/God isn’t in need of our worship, but we as His creation are in need of His worship. We see as humans today that there is a great amount of evil that is widespread on the earth, people kill each other unjustly, loot each others wealth, taking the rights of people without any just cause. Now if the people were aware, and 100% certain without doubt that God is watching over them and that He would either punish them a severe punishment or reward them a great reward according to what they did do in this world, there would be a lot less evil, and much more harmony and peace on the earth.

So God isn’t in need of us or our worship, but we clearly see that there is a great deal of corruption when people do not worship God. Having a healthy fear of Gods punishment, hoping for His reward and Mercy, and loving Him for everything He has given us (sight, hearing, health, sustenance etc.) are all acts of worship – if these were instilled into the people, it would give everyone a balanced life in all aspects.
It would humble those who have been given authority and great wealth, aswell as give respect and kindness to those who may be given less in worldly riches. The rich would give a share of their wealth to the poor, hoping for reward from God, and the poor would be thankful for that. The family ties would be upheld, people would be pleased with that because they would be sure that this is what God wants, and they would hope that God would be pleased with them for that – and this would strengthen their love for God, aswell as God’s love for them, which would mean that God would give them an easier life in this world, and the one to come. If anyone ever thought of harming someone who had no right of being harmed, they could remind them of the punishment of God against injustice, which would make that person think twice before doing that evil.

From the above we see that all the aspects of worship which God orders us to perform are for the betterment of humanity aswell as ourselves, God never orders us to do something harmful for us unless the benefit is much greater than the harm.

Okay, that makes sense, but what about praying and fasting then? Why does God need you to pray to Him 5 times a day if He isn’t in need of your worship?

We fast – specifically in the month of Ramadan – in order to learn self-restraint, even when no-one is around we learn that God is watching over us, which will prevent us from committing evil and shameful deeds whether done in public or private. This is something praiseworthy no matter what way you look at it.
About the prayers, when we pray to God 5 times a day, the main central theme of the prayer is for our own benefit. If we look at what we recite, we praise God at the beginning, and then this is when the important part comes;

All Praise is to God, Lord of the Worlds.
The Most Compassionate, Most Merciful.
Lord of the Day of Judgement.
You Alone we worship, you Alone we ask for Help.
Guide us to the straight path.
The path of those upon whom You have bestowed favor, not of those who have evoked [Your] anger or of those who are astray.

[Qur’an - Al Fatihah Chapter 1]

Since praising Allah/God is a means of gaining His pleasure, then we praise Him and then invoke (pray to) Him after that, yet He is not in need of us praising Him since He is the self sufficient, free of all wants.
Back to the prayer, we see that the main central theme of our prayer is to actually invoke God and ask Him for our guidance, and as we finish the prayer – we continue praying for the believers. Again, this doesn’t harm or benefit God in the least, however – He loves His servants and wants us to surrender and submit to Him [literal meaning: Islam, one who submits – Muslim] out of our own freedom of choice. Then He is willing to reward us for being grateful, or punish those who were ungrateful and belied Him and His signs.

Thinker
04-19-2009, 06:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -
Question If God is so perfect, why does He need us to worship Him?

First of all, what is worship? Worship is to do an act which Allah/God loves, whether its praying to Him, helping the needy, helping society become a better place, even small factors such as feeding your family and providing for them - with the intent of pl
OK I’ll have that, in fact I’ve said all along that God, being a God, by definition could not condemn a good person to hell, that would be unjust and God can’t be unjust.

The problem is, the verse in question doesn’t say that it says I have only created Jinns and men, that they may worship/serve Me and as some Jinns are malevolent Jinns they are by their nature bad so does it then follow that a bad Jinn is doing God’s will by being bad i.e. a Jinn can attain a place in heaven by being bad because that is his way of serving God?

أبو سليمان عمر
04-19-2009, 07:07 PM
OK I’ll have that, in fact I’ve said all along that God, being a God, by definition could not condemn a good person to hell, that would be unjust and God can’t be unjust.
Indeed God is the Most Just so Just that He could have put everyone in their respective places from the very beginning, but the people would complain as to why they were thrown in Hell without being given a chance. This life is exactly that; a chance to prove to ourselves who we really are and what we would really do if we indeed had a free choice.
Allah Knows everything that will happen, but we don't. That is why the test is fair.
The problem is, the verse in question doesn’t say that it says I have only created Jinns and men, that they may worship/serve Me and as some Jinns are malevolent Jinns they are by their nature bad so does it then follow that a bad Jinn is doing God’s will by being bad i.e. a Jinn can attain a place in heaven by being bad because that is his way of serving God?
56. Wama khalaqtu aljinna waal-insa illa liyaAAbudooni
Translation
56. And I (Allâh) created not the jinns and humans except they should worship Me (Alone).

The jinn
Who are the jinn? How did Allaah create them?

Praise be to Allaah.

The jinn are part of the creation of Allaah. He created them from fire before He created Adam, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And indeed, We created man from dried (sounding) clay of altered mud.

And the jinn, We created aforetime from the smokeless flame of fire”

[al-Hijr 15:26-27]

Just as Adam had descendents, so Iblees had descendents too, as Allaah says of Iblees (interpretation of the meaning):

“Will you then take him (Iblees) and his offspring as protectors and helpers rather than Me while they are enemies to you? What an evil is the exchange for the Zaalimoon (polytheists, and wrongdoers, etc)”

[al-Kahf 18:50]

Allaah created the jinn and mankind to worship Him. Whoever obeys Him will enter Paradise and whoever disobeys Him will enter Hell:

“And I (Allaah) created not the jinn and mankind except that they should worship Me (Alone).

I seek not any provision from them (i.e. provision for themselves or for My creatures) nor do I ask that they should feed Me (i.e. feed themselves or My creatures).

Verily, Allaah is the All Provider, Owner of Power, the Most Strong”

[al-Dhaariyaat 51:56 – interpretation]

All of the jinn, like mankind, are accountable. Among them there are believers and kaafirs, those who obey Allaah and those who disobey Him, as Allaah tells us that they said:

“‘There are among us some that are righteous, and some the contrary; we are groups having different ways (religious sects)’”

[al-Jinn 72:11 – interpretation of the meaning]

The jinn will be rewarded or punished in the Hereafter just like mankind. Allaah tells us that they said:

“‘And of us some are Muslims (who have submitted to Allaah, after listening to this Qur’aan), and of us some are Al-Qaasitoon (disbelievers those who have deviated from the Right Path)’. And whosoever has embraced Islam (i.e. has become a Muslim by submitting to Allaah), then such have sought the Right Path.’

And as for the Qaasitoon (disbelievers who deviated from the Right Path), they shall be firewood for Hell”

[al-Jinn 72:14-15 – interpretation of the meaning]

The jinn and mankind will all be brought to account on the Day of Resurrection before the Lord of the Worlds. None of them will be able to postpone that or flee from it.

“O assembly of jinn and men! If you have power to pass beyond the zones of the heavens and the earth, then pass beyond (them)! But you will never be able to pass them, except with authority (from Allaah)!”

[al-Rahmaan 55:33 – interpretation of the meaning]
you can read the rest here about jinn
http://islamqa.com/en/ref/13378/jinn

Karina
04-25-2009, 08:03 PM
We don't know of Allah swt 'motivation' for creation, we know merely our sole reason for existing. We might not be his most important of creation at all, as evidenced by the first verse of suret Al insan:

بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيمِ
هَلْ أَتَى عَلَى الْإِنسَانِ حِينٌ مِّنَ الدَّهْرِ لَمْ يَكُن شَيْئًا مَّذْكُورًا {1}
[Yusufali 76:1] Has there not been over Man a long period of Time, when he was nothing - (not even) mentioned?

So to sum it up for you, our purpose for creation 'defined', and none of us can speak for God's plan or 'motivation' thus his intention motivation for creation is 'undefined'

Hope that answered your Q

all the best

I think Gossamer Skye has answered my question here, thank you, I appreciate this. :thumbs_up

There is so much information in the world about what God wants from us, but not much at all about His own reasons for creating us... I was just curious that's all!

My main issue is that it is mentioned time and time again that He will be "pleased" or show "anger" about certain behaviours - therefore he is "humanised" in this respect. These are human-like emotions and feelings.

If Allah has these emotional displays and thought processes, like us human beings, I wanted to know what his emotions and feelings were when he created us.

Humans do things for a reason. The general consensus seems to be that Allah does things for a reason. I just wanted to know his reason! [Wouldn't it be great if it turned out he was bored one day and thought "I know, I'll make something fun!"] :)

I think from what has been said though is that we should just accept we are here and what is expected of us..... without such an inquisitive mind as my own!

idk
04-25-2009, 08:23 PM
No, actually, im a muslim and ive had that question a thousand times.
Sorry for not being able to give u a complicated answer lol.
I believe that life is like an exam - you have the right to mess around in your exam and write all the wrong answers, but then you wont get the marks, will you?
You see, as we are all humans we can make a few mistakes, god expects that, but if you utterly hopelessly fail then none can save you.

theres alot of questions we cant ever find answers for - I just believe that God is wise and if you think about it everything created has a reason and a purpose - and although i cant answer your question i can assure you if our brains were smarter and if we were wiser we could maybe begin to understand why, but you see we get confused over what make up to use and what to wear in the morning, and so how can we possibly start to question why god made us ?

When we reach a ripe old age we sit back and think 'Now i know why i fell in love with so and so but got married to so and so - because he treated me better ' you see at some point all the confusion goes away, and you sit back and smile, so basicly im just saying that theres a wisdom behind everything that happens, and someday, sooner or later you will realise that.

Take care x

Yanal
04-25-2009, 08:28 PM
Or here's my view:
Life is like a job,we are low class workers,the Prophets were superindendents(people who warn) and they have left,the owner is Allah,at the day of judgement we will get our pay judging on our work(deeds) if you did bad you get fired(thrown in hell) if you did good you get heaven.

Try to understand it that way.

Karina
04-25-2009, 08:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by idk
No, actually, im a muslim and ive had that question a thousand times.
Sorry for not being able to give u a complicated answer lol.
I believe that life is like an exam - you have the right to mess around in your exam and write all the wrong answers, but then you wont get the marks, will you?
You see, as we are all humans we can make a few mistakes, god expects that, but if you utterly hopelessly fail then none can save you.

theres alot of questions we cant ever find answers for - I just believe that God is wise and if you think about it everything created has a reason and a purpose - and although i cant answer your question i can assure you if our brains were smarter and if we were wiser we could maybe begin to understand why, but you see we get confused over what make up to use and what to wear in the morning, and so how can we possibly start to question why god made us ?

When we reach a ripe old age we sit back and think 'Now i know why i fell in love with so and so but got married to so and so - because he treated me better ' you see at some point all the confusion goes away, and you sit back and smile, so basicly im just saying that theres a wisdom behind everything that happens, and someday, sooner or later you will realise that.

Take care x
Aww what a lovely answer, idk! Your reply really made me smile :)

THANK YOU x

Karina
04-25-2009, 08:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
Or here's my view:
Life is like a job,we are low class workers,the Prophets were superindendents(people who warn) and they have left,the owner is Allah,at the day of judgement we will get our pay judging on our work(deeds) if you did bad you get fired(thrown in hell) if you did good you get heaven.

Try to understand it that way.
Oh I do, Yanal, I do.

I just kind of wonder why the owner started his business that's all!

:)

AntiKarateKid
04-26-2009, 04:17 AM
Oh I do, Yanal, I do.

:)
Are you glad that you have been given the chance to enter Paradise? Eternal and Perfect Happiness? Did I mention it's eternal! :D

No soul is burdened beyond what it can bear so you have every opportunity to enter it or ban yourself from it.

It is a mercy that we all should be thankful for, no matter how bad our situation, the hereafter is true life.

جوري
04-26-2009, 05:19 AM
I think Gossamer Skye has answered my question here, thank you, I appreciate this. :thumbs_up
my pleasure...

There is so much information in the world about what God wants from us, but not much at all about His own reasons for creating us... I was just curious that's all!
You can't usurp God with such a humble question.. God's reasons belong to God!

My main issue is that it is mentioned time and time again that He will be "pleased" or show "anger" about certain behaviours - therefore he is "humanised" in this respect. These are human-like emotions and feelings.
This might better address your question
Name of Questioner
S. M - Canada

Title
The Nature of Allah

Question
Scholars of Islam, as-Salamu `alaykum. I am curious about the nature of Allah. I know Allah is not a person, nor anything like a man, but the Qur’an always refers to Allah as “He” or “Him” and even sometimes “I” and “We”. Is this just for our understanding, or maybe something that is lost in the translation? I see Allah as an unfolding, never ending source of power, but without any emotion or the same kind of thought process as mortals. I was wondering if you could help me on this.

Date
07/Jul/2003

Name of Counsellor
Muzammil Siddiqi

Topic
Muslim Belief

Answer

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear sister in Islam, thanks a lot for your question which reflects your care to have a sound belief and faith. Allah commands Muslims to refer to people of knowledge to become well-acquainted with the teachings of Islam in all aspects of life.

Before addressing this question, it is essential to state the following: The Islamic approach towards dealing with any issue relating to faith and practice is direct. Thus, this invariably involves looking at what the Qur’an has to say, how this was understood and applied by the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) and the pious generations, who are considered our perennial role models in all matters of deen (religion).

First of all, we would like to stress the fact that, every committed Muslim should have a firm belief that Allah Almighty is UNIQUE in everything. There is no resemblance between Allah the Creator and His creation. Referring to this, Allah Almighty says: "Nothing is like Him and He hears and sees all things." (Ash-Shura: 11)

In his response to your question, Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi, former President of the Islamic Society of North America, states:

“According to the teachings of the Qur’an and Sunnah, we say Allah is the Most Powerful (Al-Qawiyy). We may say that Allah’s power is unfolding and never ending, but we do not say that Allah is ‘an unfolding never ending power.’

In Islam, we believe that Allah has many Names and Beautiful Attributes. Allah sees, hears, speaks, likes, and dislikes. Allah listens to our prayers and blesses those who believe in Him and obey Him. It is correct that Allah is not a person like a man, but this does not mean that Allah is some kind of abstract being, or mere energy or power. If you read the Qur’an, you will see that there are many personal qualities of Allah. But the Qur’an reminds us that “Nothing is like Him and He hears and sees all things.” (Ash-Shura: 11) This is a very profound statement. On the one hand it denies all anthropomorphism (tashbih), and on the other hand it rejects all kind of nihilism (ta`til).

Allah Most High also loves, hates, is pleased, gets angry, wishes us to do certain things, and does not like us to do some other things. But in the case of Allah these are not emotions like those of mortals. These are according to His own Majesty and Greatness. We cannot fully grasp His Attributes, because He is infinite and we are finite. We have no other way of knowing Him, except what He tells us through His Book and His Prophets. In the Qur’an Allah says about Himself in the famous Ayat al-Kursi: “Allah! There is no god but He, the Living, the Self-subsisting, Eternal. No slumber can seize Him nor sleep. His are all things in the heavens and on earth. Who is there can intercede in His presence except as He permits? He knows what (appears to His creatures as) Before or After or Behind them. Nor shall they compass aught of His knowledge except as He wills. His Throne does extend over the heavens and the earth, and He feels no fatigue in guarding and preserving them, for He is the Most High, the Supreme (in glory).” (Al-Baqarah: 255)

The pronouns ‘He’, ‘Him’ or ‘I’, ‘We’ are to indicate that Allah is a Being, not a thing. We do not use the pronoun ‘It’ for Allah. If it were our belief that Allah is ‘power’ or ‘energy’ then we could have used the expression ‘It’, but this is not acceptable in Islam. We do not believe that Allah is a male or a female. Allah is beyond maleness and femaleness. Allah is the Creator of both males and females. Muslims do not make an image of Allah. Even if an image comes to their mind they say, ‘Allah Akbar,’ (Allah is Greater) and He transcends this particular image. In the Qur’an Allah speaks sometimes as ‘I’ and sometimes as ‘We’. This is to describe His power and His closeness. But Allah is never referred to as ‘They’ or ‘You’ in the plural (hum or antum).

I suggest you read the Qur’an carefully and see for yourself what Allah says about Himself. There is no book in which you can find a more authentic and direct word of Allah better than the Qur’an.”

Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: www.pakistanlink.com

You can also read:

Naught Is as His likeness!

Pronoun ‘He’ Referring to Allah in the Qur’an

The Pronoun ‘We’ Referring to Allah in the Qur’an

If Allah has these emotional displays and thought processes, like us human beings, I wanted to know what his emotions and feelings were when he created us.
See previous two replies.

Humans do things for a reason. The general consensus seems to be that Allah does things for a reason. I just wanted to know his reason! [Wouldn't it be great if it turned out he was bored one day and thought "I know, I'll make something fun!"] :)
see previous three replies

I think from what has been said though is that we should just accept we are here and what is expected of us..... without such an inquisitive mind as my own!
I think ALL people ask the same questions it is natural.. not a super trait!

all the best

Eric H
04-26-2009, 05:52 AM
Greetings and peace be with you Karina;
My parents brought me into this world for all their reasons or mistake, but I had no choice in this matter. We talk about our free will, but I seem to have had no choice at all in this most important question for me. If I knew that if I messed up in this world I would receive eternal hell, then I might choose not to be born at all. But I wasn’t given that choice, and I didn’t even have too much proof that God exists, so why should I be condemned?

I now know beyond a doubt that God exists, but what about the billions who believe that God exists in a different way for them?

Before the creation of the world began, God knew how we would come into this world. We cannot know the mind of God, we can only hope and pray that God had a fair, just and forgiving reason to bring us all here.

Before the creation of the world began, God knew there would be Muslims, Atheists, Christians, Hindu and all others. We hope and pray that God has a fair and just way of dealing with this problem of who attains salvation.

There are more questions than answers, we need faith and trust to just accept that God exists fully and totally, and God is good.

In the spirit of searching for a loving and forgiving God

Eric

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.