/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Gap Year

Re.TiReD
04-05-2009, 09:47 PM
:salamext:

Has anybody ever taken a gap year and actually gone back after it? I really want to take one but the majority of pplz tend to lose the motivation and just end up dropping altogether. Your thoughts?

WassalamuAlaykum

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cabdullahi
04-06-2009, 04:38 AM
sister....i always wanted to take a gap year...to go and study islam...to discipline myself for a complete year...this would've helped me focus and to be more knowledgable in islam....so when i come back to carry on my studies i would've applied islamic principles,with good work ethos,guile and character....but unfortunately it hasnt happened.......if you go on a gap year and take some books to keep you interested in ur degree...you wont lose motivation infact it will be the opposite you'll be itching to come back

take a gap year if you want peace of mind and to study islam..

Re.TiReD
04-06-2009, 06:36 AM
WoW great sales pitch. Masha'Allah. Seriously a gap year is sounding more appealing by the minute. I think I might be taking one insha'Allah, although I doubt my parents will want me to. I think I'll gain a little in maturity in a year and will be closer in age to the people I'm studying with insha'Allah.

Cabdullahi
04-06-2009, 07:25 AM
some1's been watching the apprentice :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aadil77
04-06-2009, 07:36 AM
Why would you want to take a gap year? The only reason I can think of is to improve your grades to get into a better uni. Right now i'm itching to get out of college and start uni. I've had enough of education, just want it all over and done with so I can get a job asap.

Btw what would you do with all that free time? You'll most likely end up working full time in some crappy job, thats what my parents would make me do, they'd never let me live off them doing nothing for a whole year.

Re.TiReD
04-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Once you get into uni you realise how stressful it can be, how it leaves time for little else and you begin to neglect other duties. Maybe not the case for all but for me definately, I think a year out gives you a chance to take a step back, evaluate your life and think about what you want to do. It's all so easy to get caught up into the fast-paced dunya and at the moment it's going far too fast, its like a roller-coaster and I just want it to stop for a little while so that I can get my bearings.

Uhmmm....Sorry for the strange post :muddlehea :$

Al-Zaara
04-06-2009, 11:34 AM
I know several success gap-yearers. :D All returned back to University. I'm talking about approx. 30 people.. Someone went to Australia to work and travel, someone to Danmark, others went to France, to USA to Germany... Most worked and chilled. All said to me they'd do it again and the experiences they'd never trade. One girl said it changed her life. :D

After they returned, they had a month or two before starting next season, they said they were missing school. Some found it hard to start, but nothing in life is easy. They had a good experience earned, so it made it easier to fight to get going.

But sis, if you're not doing anything for a whole year, no jobs, no travel... I'd definitely tell you to not take a gap-year. Reflecting about life, yada yada, it doesn't take one to leave jobs or studies and sit around all year. It's unneccessary and might just make your disciplin for school, or work, or even life worse.

I know some people who had part-time jobs and went to several different kind of courses, which was very helpful for their future studies and future in general. What have you thought of doing if you take a gap-year?

Re.TiReD
04-06-2009, 11:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
I know several success gap-yearers. :D All returned back to University. I'm talking about approx. 30 people.. Someone went to Australia to work and travel, someone to Danmark, others went to France, to USA to Germany... Most worked and chilled. All said to me they'd do it again and the experiences they'd never trade. One girl said it changed her life. :D

After they returned, they had a month or two before starting next season, they said they were missing school. Some found it hard to start, but nothing in life is easy. They had a good experience earned, so it made it easier to fight to get going.

But sis, if you're not doing anything for a whole year, no jobs, no travel... I'd definitely tell you to not take a gap-year. Reflecting about life, yada yada, it doesn't take one to leave jobs or studies and sit around all year. It's unneccessary and might just make your disciplin for school, or work, or even life worse.

I know some people who had part-time jobs and went to several different kind of courses, which was very helpful for their future studies and future in general. What have you thought of doing if you take a gap-year?
JazakAllah khayr for that insight sis.

Lol my reasons for wanting to take a gap year have far more substance than just wanting to rejuvenate and de-stress. I have several things I'd like to do but I have no concrete plans as of yet. Which is one reason it may be best to continue.

However, I'm determined not to waste time and let the year fly by. I guess I need to invest a few more braincells and thought into this. Please keep me in ur du'aas insha'Allah sis x

SouljahOfAllah
04-06-2009, 11:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Inaayah
Once you get into uni you realise how stressful it can be, how it leaves time for little else and you begin to neglect other duties. Maybe not the case for all but for me definately, I think a year out gives you a chance to take a step back, evaluate your life and think about what you want to do. It's all so easy to get caught up into the fast-paced dunya and at the moment it's going far too fast, its like a roller-coaster and I just want it to stop for a little while so that I can get my bearings.

lol told u it was scary here. nope sis dont take time off - especially if its a year :muddlehea:D

Re.TiReD
04-06-2009, 11:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SouljahOfAllah
lol told u it was scary here. nope sis dont take time off - especially if its a year :muddlehea:D
Yet you're still posting *wub* =)

It's either a year or nothing. LoL....thats the whole point. JazakAllah khayr though hun :wub:

The Ruler
04-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Well, I know of a lot of people that've taken gap year then entered medicine. So I'm guessing it doesn't make you a lazy-assed loser.

The only reason a gap year appeals to me right now is because of the time I'll get to do the many things I'd do without worrying about studies/exams.

aadil77
04-06-2009, 11:44 AM

I've never thought of it that way, I've heard uni is alot less stressful than college. In the case of neglecting deen, of course this is our first priority but I think at university you will have more time for your deen. I hopefully want to take up arabic classes at uni, become part of the islamic societies etc. It depends how easy your life is, if you have responsibilities then you will have planned all of this way before. If you're a sister or have it easy then you can take your time with all this

Re.TiReD
04-06-2009, 11:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by The Ruler
Well, I know of a lot of people that've taken gap year then entered medicine. So I'm guessing it doesn't make you a lazy-assed loser.

The only reason a gap year appeals to me right now is because of the time I'll get to do the many things I'd do without worrying about studies/exams.
Ahh I get you, I think a gap year between finishing college and starting uni is a good idea, but breaking after 2 years is a different kettle of fish altogether.

format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
I've never thought of it that way, I've heard uni is alot less stressful than college. In the case of neglecting deen, of course this is our first priority but I think at university you will have more time for your deen. I hopefully want to take up arabic classes at uni, become part of the islamic societies etc. It depends how easy your life is, if you have responsibilities then you will have planned all of this way before. If you're a sister or have it easy then you can take your time with all this
Nope I dont think uni is less stressful at all. Well maybe it depends on what kind of a person you are. And as for Arabic classes. I took Arabic for a year and then had to drop so I could continue the subjects I had chosen initially. The arabic tutor was nice enough to let me sit in on her lessons anyway because I really wanted to continue. After several weeks I found that I couldnt do my other subjects justice if I was to continue with the voluntary one so I just quit going.

It's not that easy, specially if you're aiming high.

The Ruler
04-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Ahh I get you, I think a gap year between finishing college and starting uni is a good idea, but breaking after 2 years is a different kettle of fish altogether.
Hmmm, yah. But gap year = gap year, no?

Re.TiReD
04-06-2009, 11:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by The Ruler
Hmmm, yah. But gap year = gap year, no?
In a sense, yes.

Both can make you feel lethargic and out of touch with academic studies. But I think with dropping half-way it's more of a struggle with oneself to build the motivation to go back, especially since the final year is tough with respect to dissertations and placements etc...also the fact that if you dont keep up to date with academic and course material you're going to get left behind and then going back doesnt seem too appealing. Also, if I got into the placement I've applied for I doubt I'd wanna go back and complete my 3rd year.

But for somebody fresh out of college, taking a gap year will not quench the thirst to experience more, to go to uni and develop and grow as a person etc etc

Al-Zaara
04-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Also, if I got into the placement I've applied for I doubt I'd wanna go back and complete my 3rd year.
What have you applied for?

crayon
04-06-2009, 01:17 PM
I'd always wanted to take a gap year. But then I realized I couldn't travel anywhere. So it seemed utterly pointless..

Re.TiReD
04-06-2009, 01:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
I'd always wanted to take a gap year. But then I realized I couldn't travel anywhere. So it seemed utterly pointless..
LoL. Isnt a year far too long to travel though? I think the Easter hols are enough for me to travel in insha'Allah. If I dint feel as though this year had been a struggle I wudnt bother taking a gap year.

crayon
04-06-2009, 01:25 PM
LoL. Isnt a year far too long to travel though? I think the Easter hols are enough for me to travel in insha'Allah. If I dint feel as though this year had been a struggle I wudnt bother taking a gap year.
A year too long?! Too short, more like, lol. I can't travel all over the world in only a year, let alone less!:p
Oh, there's this one site I visit occasionally, and daydream...:embarrass

Re.TiReD
04-06-2009, 01:27 PM
A year too long?! Too short, more like, lol. I can't travel all over the world in only a year, let alone less!:p
Oh, there's this one site I visit occasionally, and daydream...:embarrass

Around the world in 80 days....Shouldnt that be enough? =P

Working abroad sounds kool, I guess you'd need much more time to think about and plan it, which isnt the case for me I guess. I can just drop on a whim. Not that I will insha'Allah....but yah.

I need concrete plans.

Yanal
04-06-2009, 02:22 PM
If thats your problem I say take a gap year because it will lessen your stress for one year while your getting mature causing this process to speed up and when you come back you will never have to take a gap year.

Your still not mature?(wonder if I can be then?)

Re.TiReD
04-06-2009, 02:25 PM
If thats your problem I say take a gap year because it will lessen your stress for one year while your getting mature causing this process to speed up and when you come back you will never have to take a gap year.
Genuis. What brilliance! JazakAllah Khayr

Your still not mature?(wonder if I can be then?)
You already are bro, I still need to get past the oreo's and milk stage.

crayon
04-06-2009, 02:27 PM
I still need to get past the oreo's and milk stage.
Why, are oreos and milk considered immature?..:uuh::embarrass

Re.TiReD
04-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Why, are oreos and milk considered immature?..:uuh::embarrass
LoL nahhh I'm only messing.

I meant immature in a different way though, actually I didnt mean immature. I just meant not mature enough. 2 different things there :><:

I just wanted to be a little older and ergo wiser. Insha'Allah. Altho I do enjoy studying with older people, they have a great deal of experience etc

Al-Zaara
04-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Genuis. What brilliance! JazakAllah Khayr
Of course it is, 'cause that's what you want to hear. :D

You know, get practical and make a realsitic plan. Write down pros and cons, ALL possibilities, time-shedule and see what you're about do decide on. Can't say just 'gap-year', 'cause it's more complicated than that. When you've got it in black and white, you'll further see how much you want it or need it, you can better make a decision when it's visiually infront of you. Don't say Yes and do a plan then but don't either say No and not make a plan. Get me?

Yanal
04-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Or.... Are you allowed at the local library?(cause you eat Oreos)
If you are then get like 10 books for a month regarding your degree read them if you are bored and you will get interested without stress as well.

Re.TiReD
04-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Of course it is, 'cause that's what you want to hear. :D

You know, get practical and make a realsitic plan. Write down pros and cons, ALL possibilities, time-shedule and see what you're about do decide on. Can't say just 'gap-year', 'cause it's more complicated than that. When you've got it in black and white, you'll further see how much you want it or need it, you can better make a decision when it's visiually infront of you. Don't say Yes and do a plan then but don't either say No and not make a plan. Get me?
I take it back, the genuis lies within you dude Zee =P

On way home in a little while, I'll get the trusty old quil and parchment out insha'Allah and start a list :D

format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
Or.... Are you allowed at the local library?(cause you eat Oreos)
If you are then get like 10 books for a month regarding your degree read them if you are bored and you will get interested without stress as well.
That sounds like a plan and if I do take a gap year I'll be sure to keep updated with my subject insha'Allah.

The library is no longer my second home

Al-Zaara
04-06-2009, 02:46 PM
See, that's what I do when I can't decide. It's very helpful, if you give yourself time to write down and actually put some effort, which is easier said than done, so kudos to you if you'll manage to do it inshaAllah. ;) (meaning there are times I'm too lazy and end up confused, probably making the wrong decision)

Yanal
04-06-2009, 02:46 PM
But it is if you are running away from last years professers:D

Re.TiReD
04-06-2009, 02:48 PM
See, that's what I do when I can't decide. It's very helpful, if you give yourself time to write down and actually put some effort, which is easier said than done, so kudos to you if you'll manage to do it inshaAllah. ;)
Nah I've done it in the past and it has worked wonders. I just need a shove in the right direction though sometimes

But it is if you are running away from last years professers:D
Nah my tutors are kool and tres supportive :D

Ar-RaYYan
04-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Why don't you take that gap year after finishing uni? you only got like a year left.

Re.TiReD
04-06-2009, 09:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ar-RaYYan
Why don't you take that gap year after finishing uni? you only got like a year left.
lol sounds good I guess

Wallahu A'lam

Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-06-2009, 10:06 PM
:sl:

Baaaaad idea! Bad idea! At least from my perspective. You'd be wasting a lot of time, time that you can utilize to finish school and do what you want along with it. Seriously, the last thing you would want to do would be to leave something hanging, a loose end that you aren't even sure you'll get around to tying up.

Take classes in the summer, winter, extra credits and get done. You can move on in life, there's so much you can do after getting done with school. If the limit is 18 credits/units, take 21 or 24 and manage your time well and fly through it. It's seriously not worth taking time off. If you're ahead, then that's another year you have. Look how much time you'll be saving by getting done as soon as possible, and it's not that time=money etc, it's that time wasted=time you'll never get back.

Intisar
04-06-2009, 10:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Sayyad
Take classes in the summer, winter, extra credits and get done. You can move on in life, there's so much you can do after getting done with school. If the limit is 18 credits/units, take 21 or 24 and manage your time well and fly through it. It's seriously not worth taking time off. If you're ahead, then that's another year you have. Look how much time you'll be saving by getting done as soon as possible, and it's not that time=money etc, it's that time wasted=time you'll never get back.
I agree with this.

You're already in your second year, do as much as you can to finish school off earlier than you would through taking extra classes and then you'll have more time to go on and travel, do a placement, or even apply for grad school and study for your GRE.

My sister did this, when she was approaching her third year of Uni she wasn't sure if she should take a year off, or finish early and study for her MCAT in order to go to Med School. Well, let's just say she finished Uni @ 20 years of age, and didn't need to take a year off at all. She travelled, studied, and then the following year she entered med school alhamdulilah.

Musaafirah
04-06-2009, 10:13 PM
Regarding gap year, I guess it'd be worth it if it was for a placement or something (speaking from experience here) where hopefully the year won't be wasted and you'll have completed the year with a certificate or whatever it is you'd be given in your degree programme.
Well, for some people the gap year is ACES and motivated you to do loads more when you're back. Whereas for others it makes you feel lazy and wanna continue procrastinating and all.
It's your call at the end of the day, as you know how you are and what you'll be able to achieve and you know whether or not you'll still have the motivation to study when you come back.
Any plans as to what you want to do? Will you be doing voluntary work?
What with the recession and all, experience is now key to getting a job. Qualifications alone count for naught nowadays.
Let me know what you've planned and all!
And chin up! :D

Re.TiReD
04-06-2009, 10:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Sayyad
:sl:

Baaaaad idea! Bad idea! At least from my perspective. You'd be wasting a lot of time, time that you can utilize to finish school and do what you want along with it. Seriously, the last thing you would want to do would be to leave something hanging, a loose end that you aren't even sure you'll get around to tying up.

:wasalamex

That sounds like something my ex-headmaster would say. 'Bad idea chokri, baddddd ideaaaa' lol

That second paragraph would so be a way out for me if I was amreekan. Taking classes in the Summer and Winter, I dont get that..I'm doing that already. Extra credits, I asked already....It'd only make sense to do that if a module was compulsory and if I already had 6. Its just taking on an extra work-load. Unless its something different for you guys.

And I so wish you had given me that link earlier, I submitted an assignment today for my Personal Development class. I could have used the material on that site

JazakAllah khayr

WassalamuAlaykum

Re.TiReD
04-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Ameena, School in Canada/The US sounds like fun. Extra classes? No such thing maaaaaaaaaaan, I wish their were extra ones for me to take, I'd soo be there. I even wanted to retake my silly nursing research methids module but he wudnt let me :uuh:

JazakAllah khayr, I'm undecided still. Gah!

Musaafirah, nupee its not for a placement, if the placement was compulsory then I'd prolly take a gap deff but it's my own thing and I dont think I'll be doing it for a year so....nah wudnt break for that

Not voluntary work....weeellll I guess you could call it that lol :p insha'Allah

You know what, forget this, I wana do my dissertation next year insha'Allah :D

Thread Closed

JazakumAllahu Khayran ppls

P.S I'll let you know my actual decision when I make it insha'Allah

alcurad
04-07-2009, 12:20 AM
come to the US instead and do what bro Abu sayyad said to,,

Al-Layl
04-07-2009, 01:09 AM
Ws.

Are you the type of person that looses interest in something quickly? think about it, sometimes a gap year can be taking a big risk, there are pro's and con's to everything, determine them, while considering your own preferences/capabilities and only then make a decision, especially as you are taking a year out before you complete the third year which is perhaps the most important year of all...there are obviously many benefits and positive outcomes that can be achieved through taking a year out, but you also must consider the con's so that you can realistically come to a conclusion that is best suited to you..

sis perform istikharah before you take your first step, should this be what you intend to do insha`Allah

Yanal
04-07-2009, 01:19 AM
Your spending your bills.If you do and don't do that so no difference .

Re.TiReD
04-07-2009, 08:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
come to the US instead and do what bro Abu sayyad said to,,
Yah but I think 2 weeks is far too less for me to enroll onto a program of study =P

format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Layl
Ws.

Are you the type of person that looses interest in something quickly? think about it, sometimes a gap year can be taking a big risk, there are pro's and con's to everything, determine them, while considering your own preferences/capabilities and only then make a decision, especially as you are taking a year out before you complete the third year which is perhaps the most important year of all...there are obviously many benefits and positive outcomes that can be achieved through taking a year out, but you also must consider the con's so that you can realistically come to a conclusion that is best suited to you..

sis perform istikharah before you take your first step, should this be what you intend to do insha`Allah
Aww JazakAllah Khayr for that brill advice sis!

Your spending your bills.If you do and don't do that so no difference .
Lol sorry? I didnt understand that.

Hiraislam
06-27-2012, 07:47 AM
I always study without any gap and I have seen many people do good after gap of several years.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.