/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What is for women in Islam?

honestme1
04-07-2009, 03:13 AM
I don't see Islam very appealing to women. To men Islam, at least, gives them the chance to be with virgins in the heavens. In this world, however they can have up to four wives and on top of that they can have sex with as many slaves as they can. However, to women all they find in Islam is submission to husbands, head to toe coverage, marriage at the age of 9 (Aisha is an example), fulfilling husband's sexual desire at all times or the angels will curse her, and so on and so forth.

I am not obsesed with sexuality, so don't get me wrong. However, that is one of the rewards that the religion gives.

I need you opinion on this. Do you think like me? Do you disagree? If yes, why?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
peaceandlove
04-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Sister

Your whole question/discussion is just circling about married life of women and from your question its seem them women have no other part to play in this world except marriage.

Sister ,Islam Gives women rights! upholds their dignity and respect and if u don't know that, it is because u r very uneducated or angry....:blind: and i personally think that most of the question in your mind might be either wrong or are mis-interpreted to you. and i would suggest you please ask any question in you mind openly and try to know what is the fact and just don't believe what ever you can heart from here and there.

Well sister , in Islam rights of man and women are equal but not similar (that the point you missess) , both man and women are different in nature so their duties are different from each other , on many thing man has a upper hand like its duty of man to take care of his wife/parents/childrens (family) so we can say on this matter man has a upper had over women but their are many many thing where women has a upper hand over man for e-g mohter has three times more respect/honour than father and in this case women has a upper hand over man.

I think you are also confused why man has a right to marry more than one , for this i would like you to visit this link

http://www.irf.net/irf/faqonislam/index.htm ( then scrolling down click the first question " MOST COMMON QUESTIONS ASKED BY NON-MUSLIMS" ) , hope fully there you can find most of the answers to your questions.

Also you can visit the following link for more information
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1irxNIDrxwo ( I personally not able to listen the link by myself because my connection is two slow to play this movie but hopefully you can get some knowledge from their).

And sister , if their is any other question or misconception in you mind please fell free to ask us , there are many people who can guide you there.

tahira_nur
04-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Dear sister..,
umm.. i dont have much knowledge to answer all ur queries... but i will try to explain ..
U see ... we muslims are Allah's servants... and we accept what He has decreed for us.
He knows what is best for us and does what is best for us...

He has given more strength to men than women and we have to accept it as He is our Lord [B]
"Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has made one of them to excel the other, and because they spend (to support them) from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient(4:34)
We.. women have been created as men's companions... Adam (AS) felt alone in Jannah and then Allah created our mother Bibi Hawa (AS) ( Eve)...

it does not mean Muslim women are oppressed rather freedom is by being His servant..
and He will reward us for that:

Umme Salamah narrates that she said to Rasulullah (saws)“O Rasulullah, are the women of this world superior or the hurs?” He replied, “The women of this world will have superiority over the hurs just as the outer lining of a garment has superiority over the inner lining.”

Umme Salamah(RA) then asked, “O Rasulullah, what is the reason for this?” He answered, “Because they performed salah, fasted, and worshipped [Allah]. Allah will put light on their faces and silk on their bodies. They will be fair in complexion and will wear green clothing and yellow jewelry. Their incense-burners will be made of pearls and their combs will be of gold. “

Abu Sa’id and Abu Hurayrah narrate that Rasulullah (saws)said, “[When the people will enter Jannat], a caller will announce, ‘Definitely, for you is life; you will never die. For you is good health; you will never become sick. For you is youth; you will never grow old. For you is luxury and comfort, you will never experience difficulty. Both the men and women of Jannat will remain young forever.

Wives of the believers will stay with their own husbands. Women who never married in this world will be given a choice to get married with any (unmarried) man they wish. If they do not like any of them, a special man will be created for them (similar to the hurs) and Allah will join both of them in marriage...

u can put this question to scholars in IslamQA... Allah knows best...

pvg8260
04-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Disagree,

First of all, see-through what you see on TV.

Women do have many rights in Islam but people are not interested in finding out. I'll give you some examples.

1. The right and duty to obtain education.

2. The right to have their own independent property.

3. The right to work to earn money if they need it or want it.

4. Equality of reward for equal deeds.

5. The right to express their opinion and be heard.

6. The right to provisions from the husband for all her needs and more.

7. The right to negotiate marriage terms of her choice.

8. The right to obtain divorce from her husband, even on the grounds that she simply can't stand him. (pls note that God deeply frowns upon divorce as a solution unless there is hardly any other alternative but it does not mean that men have more right to divorce their wives than women do.)

9. The right to keep all her own money (she is not responsible to maintain any relations).

10. The right to get sexual satisfaction from her husband.

11. custody of their children after divorce.

12. to refuse any marriage that does not please them

and more...

How come all the pictures we see in the Western world is women in war counties like Afghanistan been treat wrong. At the same time it's counties that are in war with the Western world. Don't make it sound like it happening all over and we have blacksheeps in any religion that's why hell is there.

I think you need to read bit more about Islam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
04-07-2009, 11:23 PM
I had written quite a large post when my computer crashed, so we'll give the upshots considering all has been discussed previously!

format_quote Originally Posted by honestme1
I don't see Islam very appealing to women
Women convert to Islam at a ration of 5~1 thus perhaps your view is a bit superficial?
. To men Islam, at least, gives them the chance to be with virgins in the heavens. In this world, however they can have up to four wives and on top of that they can have sex with as many slaves as they can.
Who says women can't have 'virgins' in heaven?
Islam is the only religion that advises to marry one. Marrying more than one isn't an injunction.
from a secular perspective 50% of western men will cheat on their wives, their biology dictates differently from women.
as well you should do some comparative analysis of all religions.

Genesis 3:16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
Is.3:12 As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them.
1 Cor.11:3 "But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God."
1 Cor.14:34-36 "Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church."
Eph.5:22-24 "Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing."
Col.3:18 "Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord."
1 Tim.2:11-15 "Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing
1 Pet.3:1 "Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands."
in Christianity women were akin to animals, they didn't know whether or not they have souls -- in Judaism men thank God they weren't born women, and well we all know about the women's rights movements still ongoing to get at least equal pay for same job..

However, to women all they find in Islam is submission to husbands, head to toe coverage, marriage at the age of 9 (Aisha is an example), fulfilling husband's sexual desire at all times or the angels will curse her, and so on and so forth.
You have done a survey on all married Muslim women?
It is funny because in the west one in four women is battered in a relationship.
further, raising the age of consent for marriage is a late 19thC concept.
in the State of Delaware 1885 the age of consent was 7
Campaign to Raise the Legal Age of Consent, 1885-1914, Lesson Plan

in Judaism

What is the minimum age of marriage according to Jewish law?
by Rabbi Naftali Silberberg

Our Sages state1 that "it is forbidden for one to marry off his daughter until she is an adult and says 'this is the one I want to marry.'" It is forbidden for one to marry off his daughter until she is an adult and says 'this is the one I want to marry'!
In ancient (and not so ancient) times however, marriage was often-times celebrated at a rather young age. Although we do not follow this dictum, technically speaking, a girl may be betrothed the moment she is born, and married at the age of three.2 A boy may betroth and marry at the age of thirteen.3

Add a comment

Footnotes

• 1. Talmud Kiddushin 41a.
  • 2. Shulchan Aruch, Even HaEzer 37:1.
  • 3. Shulchan Aruch, Even HaEzer 43:1.

What is the minimum age of marriage according to Jewish law? | AskMoses.com - Judaism, Ask a Rabbi - Live

On Aisha (ra) marriage

http://www.islamicboard.com/clarific...phet-pbuh.html

I am not obsesed with sexuality, so don't get me wrong. However, that is one of the rewards that the religion gives.
What does that mean exactly?

See above, plus please use the search feature, the third from your anatomical right, since most questions and allegations have already been refuted..

all the best

aamirsaab
04-07-2009, 11:54 PM
:sl:
ROFL it is not easy being a bloke in islam. You have to have a lot of control over what you do and say. No flirting with opposite sex which includes: no winking, no smiling, no accidentally flexing your pecks when a pretty lady walks buy, no wearing awesome t-shirts with he-man on the front of it saying ''I have the power!'' and so on and so forth.

If anything, it's probably easier for women. I mean, they get to dress up as freakin NINJAS - which is always a good thing! Of course, they don't get ninja stars, smoke bombs or katana blades with their outfit, but it's still pretty cool.

In Islam, Men don't get anything cool like that, save for a beard. Beards are instant win. Look at all the famous people in the world: abraham lincoln had a beard (that's why he was president), jesus had a beard, santa has a beard - everyone cool usually has a beard!

Oh and in Islam men have to look after the women and the rest of their family - that can be very stressful, expensive and time consuming. Women don't have that responsibility - it is a choice for them.

So if anything, men get the raw deal. But it's ok. I can take the heat. Because I have the power!

nebula
04-08-2009, 01:23 AM
In Islam Allah has made things equal for both men and women this religion is just and fair because it is the religion of Allah that has been revealed by all the Prophets. Women are very highly status in Islam, we as men aren't even allowed to stair or look at them, Allah has commanded us to lower our gazes from them, in a way this shows respect to muslim women.

They are very respected in this religion. We as muslim men must provide for them, keep them happy and have many other responsiblities that we must forfill for them. If we do not treat them justly then surely we are going against the will of Allah and the prophets teachings.

Here read this an ayah from the Quran, "And they (women) have rights (over their husbands as regards living expenses, etc.) similar (to those of their husbands) over them (as regards obedience and respect, etc.) to what is reasonable." (Al-Baqarah 2:228)

nebula
04-08-2009, 01:38 AM
In Islam men have to do a lot of stuff too you know, just as women have to wear hijab men have certain rules and orders we must follow, for e.g. we have to keep a beard, we have to make sure our lower garments such as our trousers and other stuff we wear do not go below our ankles (we have to fold them above our ankles) this is an obligation. Muslim men have to provide for their wife, they have to protect her by any means necessary. Theres many other things i have missed out im sure as my knowledge isnt very good atm.

Pomak
04-13-2009, 08:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by honestme1
I don't see Islam very appealing to women. To men Islam, at least, gives them the chance to be with virgins in the heavens. In this world, however they can have up to four wives and on top of that they can have sex with as many slaves as they can. However, to women all they find in Islam is submission to husbands, head to toe coverage, marriage at the age of 9 (Aisha is an example), fulfilling husband's sexual desire at all times or the angels will curse her, and so on and so forth.

Basically i had a similar Q a while back, i just couldn't get it, but generally there is more of them around. There are some stats that are thrown around, 4/5 women convert for every man but i know of no actual proper stats on it. The simplest understanding is that women tend to be more religious than men by a few % points.

On marriage, you know that there is a particular stipulation that can be put in the marriage contract that if the husband marries anyone else, it can be grounds for divorce?

Please define "head to toe coverage"

marriage at the age of 9 (Aisha is an example)
Minimum age is puberty, with local customs taken into account. (aka if the local custom is that people are not married before 16, then that becomes the age of marriage)

Also Aisha's age is debated.

fulfilling husband's sexual desire at all times or the angels will curse her
In context of all the other hadiths that talk highly of women...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.