/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A question I always get scolded for asking

convert
04-14-2009, 03:24 AM
Nobody has ever really explained this to me.Every time I ask, I basically get chastized.

If you can't explain or just want to taunt/chastize/whatever then please do not post in this thread.

What is a jinn? How do they relate to angels? Are there any scholarly works in English that can clear this up for me?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
04-14-2009, 03:26 AM
hope this thread helps insha'Allah

http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...-interior.html

:w:

Dawud_uk
04-14-2009, 05:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by convert
Nobody has ever really explained this to me.Every time I ask, I basically get chastized.

If you can't explain or just want to taunt/chastize/whatever then please do not post in this thread.

What is a jinn? How do they relate to angels? Are there any scholarly works in English that can clear this up for me?
:sl:

i dont see why, it is a simple enough question.

the jinn were a creation of Allah made from smokeless fire, the most of whom famous being iblis / shaitan.

they are like humans more than like angels because they have free will same as we do, but given their creation from other than matter they can do extrordinary things and being mostly invisable to man these can then appear to be like magic to those who dont realise it is the jinn playing tricks on people.

peaceandlove
04-14-2009, 10:22 AM
What is Jinn? Jinns are one of the creatures of Allah , like we have human beings, we have animals, we have plants , we have creatures living in sea.
Jinns are closely related to human , they are made from fire , Like humans they have will power that is they can make decision of their own , and like humans their are good jinns and bad jinns , they also are Muslims and non-Muslims jinns.

In addition to these when we study about these jinns they are some other powers also like they can put some thinking in your mind some try to guide you towards good path some to bad , and just like humans this earth is a place to be tested whether a person follows the commandment of Allah or not , jinns also have to follow the same that is if they follow the commandment of Allah they go Jannat (Heaven) and if not then (hell).

How do they relate to angels? Well, they are not related to angels , angels are separate creatures of Allah and jinns are separate. Just as you cannot relate plants to human , plants are separate creature and humans are separate. All have different characteristics.

Hope this will help you.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
convert
04-14-2009, 12:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk

i dont see why, it is a simple enough question.

the jinn were a creation of Allah made from smokeless fire, the most of whom famous being iblis / shaitan.

they are like humans more than like angels because they have free will same as we do, but given their creation from other than matter they can do extrordinary things and being mostly invisable to man these can then appear to be like magic to those who dont realise it is the jinn playing tricks on people.

Try being a convert and asking *any* question at the masjid (after you've taken shahadah). Its an eye-opening experience.

I am basically aware on a basic, fundamental level what they are but thats about it. I still have trouble grasping the concept. Are they like the concept of spirits/demons in Christianity? How does one identify a jinn? What is the nature of the jinn? What are some good English references for me to check?

Forced_In
04-14-2009, 01:39 PM
Try being a convert and asking *any* question at
the masjid (after you've taken shahadah). Its an eye-opening experience.

I am basically aware on a basic, fundamental level what they are but thats
about it. I still have trouble grasping the concept. Are they like the concept of
spirits/demons in Christianity? How does one identify a jinn? What is the nature
of the jinn? What are some good English references for me to check?
assalmo alaikom

please take a look at this thread :
http://www.islamicboard.com/aqeedah/...nn-devils.html

wassalam

Tony
04-14-2009, 01:48 PM

Sorry that you are getting negative responses when you ask questions brother, may Allah make clear your way and provide you with answers. Jinn are created from fire and exist in their own right, Allah enjoins on them the ame covenant He does with us. I find their is a lot of superstition surrounding the subject, what I know above all is that as long as you bear witness to Allahs oneness and that Muhammad (peace be upon him) is His true messenger, then you have no real need to worry about jinn's. Allahs peace and blessings be upon you and may you be guided brother

Dawud_uk
04-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Try being a convert and asking *any* question at the masjid (after you've taken shahadah). Its an eye-opening experience.

I am basically aware on a basic, fundamental level what they are but thats about it. I still have trouble grasping the concept. Are they like the concept of spirits/demons in Christianity? How does one identify a jinn? What is the nature of the jinn? What are some good English references for me to check?

i am a revert and could ask any question because i said my shahadah in a good masjid, if they dont like answering your question in that masjid i would suggest you try a different masjid if you can.

convert
04-14-2009, 04:05 PM
Not likely, there is only 1 masjid in my town. I mean, I make it sound like my masjid is horrible. It is getting better. When I first started attending, I would see verbal spats all the time and your occasional fist fight and even brothers running to the kuffar courts to handle muslim-to-muslim issues within the masjid but things have calmed down since then.

My major complaints are:
1) There are no activities for male converts.
2) There are no activities for the youth.

When I was taking hifz lessons with a brother, we tried to organize a qiyam-ul-layl but it got summarily rejected by the "board of trustees" (whom, incidentally, you never see in the masjid... ever).

I lift weights and I see certain brothers teenage sons constantly talking about this, that, and the other (i.e. drinking, drugs, womanizing).

Meanwhile, as long as they keep having their fundraisers to build the mega-mosque to keep up with the evangelical churches in the neighborhood, all is good for them.

I have made intention to go study fisibillah *somwhere* so that when I come back, I have a little more clout within the community and can effect some change for the good, as well as get the knowledge I am severely lacking in.

burdenofbeing
04-14-2009, 04:40 PM
Meanwhile, as long as they keep having their fundraisers to build the mega-mosque to keep up with the evangelical churches in the neighborhood, all is good for them.
this is all too familiar...

don't expect everything from the local masjid. I'm sure you could find decent and helpful muslims around your area, even if they don't attend your masjid.

Dawud_uk
04-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Not likely, there is only 1 masjid in my town. I mean, I make it sound like my masjid is horrible. It is getting better. When I first started attending, I would see verbal spats all the time and your occasional fist fight and even brothers running to the kuffar courts to handle muslim-to-muslim issues within the masjid but things have calmed down since then.

My major complaints are:

When I was taking hifz lessons with a brother, we tried to organize a qiyam-ul-layl but it got summarily rejected by the "board of trustees" (whom, incidentally, you never see in the masjid... ever).

I lift weights and I see certain brothers teenage sons constantly talking about this, that, and the other (i.e. drinking, drugs, womanizing).

I have made intention to go study fisibillah *somwhere* so that when I come back, I have a little more clout within the community and can effect some change for the good, as well as get the knowledge I am severely lacking in.

yeah sounds familiar to some cultural masaajid i have known, but fortunetely i had better ones i could goto instead alhamdulillah.

جوري
04-14-2009, 04:57 PM

My major complaints are:

you don't have to do qyam el-lyel in a masjid, my personal opinion is, it is probably the one prayer you'd benefit more from by doing yourself given that it is at an hour of the night where it is probably not very safe to stay outside, unless you plan to be there until fajr time.. and it is also meant to be the closest you can be to Allah swt..

I must ask though, do you lift weights in the masjid? I am not sure why anyone would have a problem with this, so long as you are doing it in the right place (gym)..
I wouldn't in general whether a convert or not concern myself with other Muslims are doing, the road to Allah swt isn't a communal effort..

and lastly what sort of youth activities for youth and adults would you like the masjid to organize? some things should simply be done outside of the masjid environment (like the weight lifting)...

I think the best thing to do is see if you can get in touch with other Muslims and see about forging a bond to resolve some of the issues you are having, whether it be learning or questions you have.. also I recommend for you these two books:

http://www.amazon.com/MisGoded-Guida...9728174&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Goded-Case-Isl...9728139&sr=8-1

by Dr. Laurence Brown.

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.