/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Peace be upon him

Tony
04-14-2009, 01:57 PM
Would just like to ask people for an honest response, interested to know if new converts, or long term Muslims always say Peace be upon him (or arabic equivalent) after mentioning Muhammad's name. I personally am terrible at this and will now endevour to change this, I feel a bit strange saying it and especially in front of non-beleivers. In fact writting this is making me realise that I have a big black spot in my Islam. Please answer honestly, as I hear so many Muslims not saying it, perhaps we can start to reverse this trend. Allahu akbar

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Tony
04-14-2009, 10:18 PM
shove or poke or bump or whatever

The Ruler
04-14-2009, 10:29 PM
Allah sends His Salah on the Prophet (Muhammad), and also His angels (do so). Oh you who believe! Send your Salah on (i.e. ask Allah to bless) him (Muhammad) and greet him with the Islamic way of greeting (i.e. as-Salaam Alaykum, which means peace be upon you) - 33:56

Abu Hurayrah said:
"The Messenger of Allah said, May he be humiliated, the man in whose presence I am mentioned and he does not send Salah upon me; may he be humiliated, the man who sees the month of Ramadan come and go, and he is not forgiven; may he be humiliated, the man whose parents live to old age and they do not cause him to be granted admittance to Paradise."

Pretty big deal, huh?

format_quote Originally Posted by TKTony
shove or poke or bump or whatever
The word they use around here is "bump". Though I prefer something more intelligent/creative, as always.

Dawud_uk
04-15-2009, 05:38 AM
Would just like to ask people for an honest response, interested to know if new converts, or long term Muslims always say Peace be upon him (or arabic equivalent) after mentioning Muhammad's name. I personally am terrible at this and will now endevour to change this, I feel a bit strange saying it and especially in front of non-beleivers. In fact writting this is making me realise that I have a big black spot in my Islam. Please answer honestly, as I hear so many Muslims not saying it, perhaps we can start to reverse this trend. Allahu akbar
there are two problems here, one is those who dont say it when they should. the 2nd is those who just say it without meaning or understanding out of a habit.

so say it and mean it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ATHEISTofPEACE
04-15-2009, 05:40 AM
I am an atheist. I never was a Muslim but about 50% of the time I will add (PBUH)

Tony
04-16-2009, 09:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ATHEISTofPEACE
I am an atheist. I never was a Muslim but about 50% of the time I will add (PBUH)
respecr for that. why do you, is it respect for Muslims or other reason

Ansariyah
04-16-2009, 10:17 PM
When I am around Non-Muslims I will jst say PBUH ..around Muslims always SAW...but at the end of the day it's the intention that counts, we don't have to shout it out loud?..I like to say it in a voice only I can hear it.

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-16-2009, 10:32 PM
respecr for that. why do you, is it respect for Muslims or other reason
Respect for Muslims and that I see it all the time at TMZ. I can think of at least two other atheist I know who do this too.

PBUH does not invoke religion at all. It is just honoring someone. There is no reason an atheist could not say praise be upon....

Tony
04-16-2009, 10:34 PM
Respect for Muslims and that I see it all the time at TMZ. I can think of at least two other atheist I know who do this too
Thankyou and excellent avatar

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-16-2009, 10:37 PM
It was the only avatar that I agreed with when I was still a limited member. I actually have a thread about some avatars I might want to use.

Also see what I edited in to the post you quoted.

glo
04-16-2009, 10:39 PM
PBUH does not invoke religion at all. It is just honoring someone. There is no reason an atheist could not say praise be upon....
I agree with you.
Wishing peace upon somebody is an entirely beautiful thing!

(Although Dawud mentioned something about saying it with the right intentions or with full understanding about what it means - and I can't say that I have full knowledge of those things ...)

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-16-2009, 10:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I agree with you.
Wishing peace upon somebody is an entirely beautiful thing!

(Although Dawud mentioned something about saying it with the right intentions or with full understanding about what it means - and I can't say that I have full knowledge of those things ...)
Agreed. Glo do you know any Christians who make the sign of the cross when Christ name is spoke?

glo
04-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Agreed. Glo do you know any Christians who make the sign of the cross when Christ name is spoke?
Can't say I do. Do you?
Perhaps Catholics or Orthodox Christians are more likely to than Protestants, but I can't say that I have ever observed anybody doing so, at least not outside of church.

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-16-2009, 10:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Can't say I do. Do you?
Perhaps Catholics or Orthodox Christians are more likely to than Protestants, but I can't say that I have ever observed anybody doing so, at least not outside of church.
A few. More so with older Orthodox Christians. Also a few younger people. It is something I have heard more about then seen though. Could you imagine if that was main stream? Any ways that is stickily a religious thing to do. PBUH is just respectful, but can be religous.

@ Muslims. When you mention Jesus the prophet you should say(PBUH) or(A.S). Now when talking to a Christian and you are talking about there version of Jesus would you not do that?

Tony
04-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Atheist of peace I get it why you say pbuh and I get you dont need to be affirming any religeous beleif. Its interesting and you have qualities some beleivers could do with attaining. peace be upon you

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-20-2009, 08:35 PM
Atheist of peace I get it why you say pbuh and I get you dont need to be affirming any religeous beleif. Its interesting and you have qualities some beleivers could do with attaining. peace be upon you
What would those be? Really all I see is that doing so does not harm me or go against my views and it makes other people happy. :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.