/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Avatars

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-16-2009, 06:30 AM
Are any of these ok ? Does any one say if they like/prefer any one these?

This is in order of how much I like them

Peace
Mick

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ATHEISTofPEACE
04-16-2009, 06:33 AM
Can you guys see them?

glo
04-16-2009, 06:34 AM
Nope. atheistforpeace ... I can't see any pictures.

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-16-2009, 06:36 AM
Why wont they show up?
http://s678.photobucket.com/albums/vv146/TMZM/

It is the four newst ones in this list.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ATHEISTofPEACE
04-16-2009, 06:37 AM
a> -

Tilmeez
04-16-2009, 06:50 AM
you mean the one that is througing signs of religions in a dustbin?
NO! I don't like it.
It is not because of Islam it is because of religion. For me is Islam for someone else this could be anything else he/she chooses. But it HAS TO BE.

Peace :)

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-16-2009, 06:52 AM
I figured that one was out. My favorit is the God can not be found one.

glo
04-16-2009, 07:43 AM
You might find that an avatar depicting Jesus is not appropriate in this forum either ...

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-16-2009, 07:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
You might find that an avatar depicting Jesus is not appropriate in this forum either ...
He is a prophet and there Christians and it is a"person"

glo
04-16-2009, 07:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ATHEISTofPEACE
He is a prophet and there Christians and it is a"person"
I don't quite know what you mean ...

Check with the mods here, but I think the issue is not Jesus himself (who, of course is highly revered in Islam as a prophet of God), but the fact that you would be using an image of him.
(In the same way it would not appropriate to use an image of Muhammed or any other prophet)

Like I said, the mods can probably clarify this better.

Woodrow
04-16-2009, 03:49 PM
I don't quite know what you mean ...

Check with the mods here, but I think the issue is not Jesus himself (who, of course is highly revered in Islam as a prophet of God), but the fact that you would be using an image of him.
(In the same way it would not appropriate to use an image of Muhammed or any other prophet)

Like I said, the mods can probably clarify this better.

The general guide for Avatars, Signatures and profile pictures are:

No images of Humans

Keep within the size limits (although most avatars will be automaticall resized to keep them within the size limit

Nothing that promotes violence

No images of weapons (this is a gray area as some things that look like weapons, are not weapons) for the most part this is left up to the descretion of the mods.

Nothing that promotes a religion other then Islam

No national emblems such as country flags ( another difficult area as some things that are not meant to promote a specific country can be found on some national flags, ie stars, color stripes, etc if it is obvious it is not intended to promote nationalism, it will usually be permitted)

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-16-2009, 04:14 PM
hahaha None of those promote a religion. So I am in the golden. I think some may be offensive so I would not wish to use those most likely anyways. I will go with the "can not find God" one.

GreyKode
04-16-2009, 10:57 PM
I agree with glo, anything disrespectful to jesus (pbuh) is not acceptable. This is part of Islam.

Ali.
04-16-2009, 11:02 PM
That's right.

Glo, I was wondering, I know (to an extent) Christians allow pictures of Jesus, like in the glass windows (sorry, don't know specific name!) of the Church they have sometimes pictures of him in a manger or even as an adult? But what if the pictures are of slight mockery with, for example, a speech bubble of him saying.. I don't know.. "lol"? Would Christians be OK with that?

FatimaAsSideqah
04-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Ermmm, I don't see any of pictures?? :-[

The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, condemning people who make Tasweer, which denotes painting or carving images or statues. It was closely associated with paganism or shirk. People were in the habit of carving images and statues for the sake of worship. Islam, therefore, declared Tasweer forbidden because of its close association with shirk (association of partners with Allah). One of the stated principles of usul-u-Fiqh (Principles of Islamic Jurisprudence) is that if anything directly leads to haram, it is likewise haram. In other words, Tasweer was forbidden precisely for the reason that it was a means leading to shirk.

glo
04-16-2009, 11:07 PM
^
That would entirely depend on who you ask, Ali. Different Christians will have different views on that.
Overall I would say that Christians are much more relaxed about depicting Jesus than Muslims would be about the prophet Muhammed.

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-16-2009, 11:10 PM
^
That would entirely depend on who you ask, Ali. Different Christians will have different views on that.
Overall I would say that Christians are much more relaxed about depicting Jesus than Muslims would be about the prophet Muhammed.
Other wise imagine the riots southpark would start.

glo
04-16-2009, 11:14 PM
There is a Southpark Jesus?

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Is this avatar ok?

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-16-2009, 11:20 PM
There is a Southpark Jesus?
Ohhh indeed there is. try a youtube search.

Ali.
04-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Is this avatar ok?
It's just.. mockery. I dunno', wait for other opinions, though.

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-16-2009, 11:24 PM
How is it mockery? Also think of how it suits me as an atheist. I can post. God most likely does not exist so why would it be a mockery if my avatar said it?

Ali.
04-16-2009, 11:27 PM
How is it mockery? Also think of how it suits me as an atheist. I can post. God most likely does not exist so why would it be a mockery if my avatar said it?
Well, it's a statement I imagine most would disagree with on the forum, especially since it is just one silly picture containing no 'evidence' to back up the idea that "God does not exist".

A definition of mockery:

*mocking - action of the verb to mock; derisive or contemptuous; teasing or taunting.

FatimaAsSideqah
04-16-2009, 11:34 PM
Greetings.

Mockery means

1: insulting or contemptuous action or speech : derision
2: a subject of laughter, derision, or sport
3 a: a counterfeit appearance : imitation b: an insincere, contemptible, or impertinent imitation <makes a mockery of justice>
4: something ridiculously or impudently unsuitable

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-16-2009, 11:34 PM
Dude it does nothing but state my opinion on the subject.

GreyKode
04-16-2009, 11:41 PM
basically it says HE only is the one that cannot find God, so I guess its ok since he feels a bad need for using something of the sort

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-16-2009, 11:43 PM
I am an atheist because I do not beilve in God. I beilive the reason I have not found God is because God does not exist. This is my view. Now I am an atheist who posts on Religous and atheist forums so that part about God not being conected to the internet works for me.

How is it offensive?

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-16-2009, 11:45 PM
ARG I'll put the other one back for now untill there is more feedback.

GreyKode
04-16-2009, 11:47 PM
If your responding to me, then I believe youre entitled to your opinion so you are free to do what you want.

Ali.
04-16-2009, 11:49 PM
^Hm.

Well it's not really an extremely that big a deal and I'm not a administrator of this forum so I don't decide ultimately anyway, but it's not extremely respectful either. Keep it if ya like, I guess.

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-16-2009, 11:50 PM
I just want to know if it is offensive. If yes then why?

Woodrow
04-17-2009, 07:47 PM
I just want to know if it is offensive. If yes then why?
I do not find it as being disrespectful or offensive. Actually it is very appropriate for some people. If a person was a believer it would be disrespectful, however it seems to be very appropriate for an atheist or an aganostic. Looking closely I see it as a person making a statement

Statement one: "I can not find God."

That is a true statement for a non-believer. A non-believer has not found God. If a person has found God, there would be no making of that statement.

Statement two: "Perhaps he is not connected to the internet>"

that is true. God(swt) is not to be found on the internet. He is not within that which is created.

Statement three: "God does not exist"

While I find that to be untrue, it is the opinion of the person using the avatar. It would be hypocritical and false for a believer to make such a statement, but it is the honest opinion of an atheist.

All and all I find it to be a very appropriate avatar for an Atheist. It does identify the person as such and does give a summary of the fundamental opinions of the user of the avatar.

It can be seen as a warning to those who desire to avoid any contact with an atheist and it can serve as an area of discussion for those who desire to express views as to why we disagree with the views.

In all event, it is simply a symbol denoting that the member is not Muslim. Essentially no different than if the person lists atheist as their way of life in their profile.

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-17-2009, 08:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I do not find it as being disrespectful or offensive. Actually it is very appropriate for some people. If a person was a believer it would be disrespectful, however it seems to be very appropriate for an atheist or an aganostic. Looking closely I see it as a person making a statement

Statement one: "I can not find God."

That is a true statement for a non-believer. A non-believer has not found God. If a person has found God, there would be no making of that statement.

Statement two: "Perhaps he is not connected to the internet>"

that is true. God(swt) is not to be found on the internet. He is not within that which is created.

Statement three: "God does not exist"

While I find that to be untrue, it is the opinion of the person using the avatar. It would be hypocritical and false for a believer to make such a statement, but it is the honest opinion of an atheist.

All and all I find it to be a very appropriate avatar for an Atheist. It does identify the person as such and does give a summary of the fundamental opinions of the user of the avatar.

It can be seen as a warning to those who desire to avoid any contact with an atheist and it can serve as an area of discussion for those who desire to express views as to why we disagree with the views.

In all event, it is simply a symbol denoting that the member is not Muslim. Essentially no different than if the person lists atheist as their way of life in their profile.
Woodrow if I could speaking like you I would be a happy man.

Woodrow
04-17-2009, 08:23 PM
I would like to also add, I believe it is far more honest and honorable for a person to let us know their true beliefs, rather then be here under false pretenses and trying to attack us in a covert manner. we can understand that people will disagree with us and as long as all things are open we can disagree with peace and dignity.

glo
04-17-2009, 08:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I would like to also add, I believe it is far more honest and honorable for a person to let us know their true beliefs, rather then be here under false pretenses and trying to attack us in a covert manner. we can understand that people will disagree with us and as long as all things are open we can disagree with peace and dignity.
Perhaps I am playing devil's advocate here, but does the avatar not 'promote a religion/worldview other than Islam'?
If I used an avatar which states that 'Jesus is my Lord and Saviour', would that be okay too? After all, it would be a very appropriate statement for a Christian ...

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-17-2009, 08:39 PM
I think if it said "my" and not "the" then it would be fine.

glo
04-17-2009, 08:45 PM
I think if it said "my" and not "the" then it would be fine.
Interesting.
How do you think would those two statements be different?

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-17-2009, 08:47 PM
One is making a claim for/about your self. the other is making a claim about the world and truth. One is more like an opinion the other is more like a fact.

GreyKode
04-17-2009, 08:50 PM
True glo, i think its more suitable to use the word "my" but anyways..... its not such a big deal who cares about avatars anyway. I mean the way of Life part is all others need to know about you.

Woodrow
04-18-2009, 12:16 AM
Some very interesting views. Very valid points and this is an issue that does need to be resolved to every bodies satisfaction.

Do you feel that in principle the avatar violates the "No promoting another religion rule?"

Perhaps this should be asked as a poll question.

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-18-2009, 12:20 AM
all it says is "i cant not find God" potenial reasons why: God is not on the net or does not exist.

It is claiming nor promoting nothing

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-18-2009, 12:20 AM
Really if its an issue I'll change it. Just ask me to change it.

I will argue against a rule violation but if it is wished not to be used then I will not use.

burdenofbeing
04-18-2009, 12:35 AM
I think it is a violation. one should agree that the binary reasoning it proposes is only compatible with atheism. And it's obviously sarcastic.

I'm just saying...

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-18-2009, 12:38 AM
Its not really worth it. So avatar changed.

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Got one see! Wada ya all think? I think its perfect for me atm. =D
Thanks burdenofbeing

GreyKode
04-22-2009, 03:29 PM
oh.. is that an evolving whale (notice the legs). LOL

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-22-2009, 03:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by GreyKode
oh.. is that an evolving whale (notice the legs). LOL
Haha, speaking of evolving whales their is a good fossil record of the transition from animal a to animal x. Good view of whale evolution and intermediate species. Great evidence for "macro evolution," I'll post it for you.

burdenofbeing
04-22-2009, 03:36 PM
you're welcome :D

greykode, it's the darwin fish, one of the symbols that atheists use.

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-22-2009, 03:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by burdenofbeing

:bump1:
I got so excited I forgot to mention that.

This is the new thread. I also have some good stuff on the evolution of the Flat Fish and the movement of the location of its eyes.

http://www.islamicboard.com/health-s...ml#post1129580

:D:D:D

glo
04-22-2009, 05:42 PM

Interestingly enough there are many Muslims and Christians who consider the evolution theory to be true.

I watched a very interesting documentary on the compatibility of evolution theory and Genesis ... sadly it's not on BBC iplayer any more.

Nice avatar, AtheistforPeace! :)

GreyKode
04-22-2009, 05:50 PM

hmmm.. burden, so you got this for him.

burdenofbeing
04-22-2009, 06:04 PM
better, I made it for him

glo I also from the camp that believes evolution is a means to creation. I have been so since my teenage years, I've constantly challenged my peers and asked them to explain in which way it's not compatible with islam. I'm glad muslims are getting more comfortable with the thought.

glo
04-22-2009, 06:07 PM
better, I made it for him

glo I also from the camp that believes evolution is a means to creation. I have been so since my teenage years, I've constantly challenged my peers and asked them to explain in which way it's not compatible with islam. I'm glad muslims are getting more comfortable with the thought.
There are many Muslim and Christian scientists and indeed evolutionists who think so too ...

However, I have heard from Muslims wo believe in evolution theory as far as all animal and plant life is concerned ... but still believe that God physically made Adam and Eve, just like the Qu'ran says.
(I guess this topic really deserves it's own thread ... :rollseyes Soz, AoP!)

Amadeus85
04-22-2009, 06:08 PM
I have probably the best avatar in the Eurasia.

glo
04-22-2009, 06:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amadeus85
I have probably the best avatar in the Eurasia.
What is your avatar, Amadeus?
(And what was your previous name? I cannot remember ... Why did you change?)

Peace

Amadeus85
04-22-2009, 06:53 PM
What is your avatar, Amadeus?
(And what was your previous name? I cannot remember ... Why did you change?)

Peace
Haha its a Hussar, soldier riding on horse from XV-XVIII century.
I was Aaron85, but I guess that everyone thought that im a Jew, because of this jewish name, so I changed for something else. :statisfie

aamirsaab
04-22-2009, 07:01 PM
:sl:
My avatar changes depending on time of month. No just kidding. But it does change at times (from memory it has been: Godzilla, a transformers group shot, a hamburger, a tub of marmite ---> generally, very broad range and most importantly, completely random!)

Currently it is a japanese symbol. Its most common meaning is "heaven", but it is also carries the meanings: "immortal" and "invincibility".

When you think about it, that's actually quite relevant given my member status.

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-22-2009, 07:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
:sl:
My avatar changes depending on time of month. No just kidding. But it does change at times (from memory it has been: Godzilla, a transformers group shot, a hamburger, a tub of marmite ---> generally, very broad range and most importantly, completely random!)

Currently it is a japanese symbol. Its most common meaning is "heaven", but it is also carries the meanings: "immortal" and "invincibility".

When you think about it, that's actually quite relevant given my member status.
I use Godzilla quite often as an avatar.

burdenofbeing
04-22-2009, 07:12 PM
^why don't you just go on and say it's akuma's symbol, you street fighter fan you.
I made my avatar to fit my purpose of being here and the state I'm in. That's the burden of being.

Yanal
04-24-2009, 10:41 PM
You are not a moderator here,so those avatars wouldn't be allowed for you.

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-25-2009, 04:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
You are not a moderator here,so those avatars wouldn't be allowed for you.
What and what?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.