/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How would a christian feel?

nebula
04-18-2009, 05:48 PM
I was just wondering how would a christian feel if one of their close friends or family members became a muslim if they were previously christians? how would you react? would you be supportive or utterly disapointed?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Güven
04-18-2009, 09:17 PM
:sl:

I think They would feel the same when one of your family member or friend(muslim) becomes Christian , no ?

glo
04-18-2009, 09:28 PM
O dear, that's a tough question!
It has never happened to me, so I can only tell you how I think I would feel.

It would almost certainly affect me considerably.
Mostly because I believe the relationship with Jesus to be the only true path to God and because this relationship gives me great joy, comfort and guidance.
Therefore I would assume that my loved one has either given up this relationship with Christ for something else, or never had it in the first place.
I don't think I would so much be disappointed as saddened by their decision and concerned for their well-being (in this life and in the next).

However, I would not turn my back on them.
Hard as it may be, I would have to remind myself that we have been given free will to make our own choices, and that following a faith/religion just 'because one is expected to' is really meaningless.

I would remind myself that God continues to walk with us - no matter where we are in life; and that loving my neighbour is still one of the greatest commandments Jesus gave us.

Above all I would continue to pray.

I hope this answers your question. Why did you ask?

Peace :)

nebula
04-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Thanks for answering glo, the reason i asked that question was because i just wanted to know how some people would react because i was watching some videos of muslims becoming christians and christians becoming muslims, the people share their stories and say how their familes reacted, some of them said that their familys abondend them etc, stopped contacting them, some of them said their familys were supportive etc.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Follower
04-22-2009, 02:05 PM
Very sad! My cousin became a sufi and we are all very sad about the whole thing.

We never talk religion, but why would you turn away from them?!

Now is when they need the support of their family even more.

aadil77
04-22-2009, 02:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
:sl:

I think They would feel the same when one of your family member or friend(muslim) becomes Christian , no ?
I don't think so, because some familys are happy that certain people can and will have to give up bad habits which are forbidden in islam. Also the emphasis on respect and manners in islam is also another positive thing familys can look forward to

Whereas a muslim family will know that becoming a christian will give that family member more freedom to do things that islamically are major sins

Yanal
04-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Umm if I was a Christian and one if my relatives became a muslim I would research him and interview him/her why? Then perhaps become one muslim I would ask why? After that I would become a muslim probably.

aadil77
04-22-2009, 02:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
O dear, that's a tough question!
It has never happened to me, so I can only tell you how I think I would feel.

It would almost certainly affect me considerably.
Mostly because I believe the relationship with Jesus to be the only true path to God and because this relationship gives me great joy, comfort and guidance.
Glo, if you had a choice over their faith and you had to pick a religion other than christianity what would you choose?

I would have thought that by Islam recognising Jesus (Isa a.h) as one of the greatest prophets the effect of the desicion may not be as significant?

Keltoi
04-22-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm not sure how I would react. Obviously I would think it was the wrong decision. I suppose the best option would be to treat them the same and hope they return to Christ one day. That is really all one can do.

aadil77
04-22-2009, 02:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Follower
Very sad! My cousin became a sufi and we are all very sad about the whole thing.

We never talk religion, but why would you turn away from them?!

Now is when they need the support of their family even more.
yh quite sad, but better than nothing, eh? What would you rather he be, seeing as your faith is undisclosed

GreyKode
04-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Follower is a christian, that's why he feels that way.

Yanal
04-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Well they should show that person some respect,he's not going to ignore you now just because you're a different religion,do you ignore your friends who are different religions?

ATHEISTofPEACE
04-22-2009, 05:19 PM
I am not a christian but, I find myself more accepting of people who have converted to a new religion latter in their life. Glad that they have at least thought about it, studied it, and made an informed decision. I may not agree with the results but I am quite glad with the method they used to get there.

I guess something to consider would be how does the change affect them, how does the change affect me, how does the change affect us, etc.

On the whole I think you get what I mean right?

Dawud_uk
04-22-2009, 06:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ATHEISTofPEACE
I am not a christian but, I find myself more accepting of people who have converted to a new religion latter in their life. Glad that they have at least thought about it, studied it, and made an informed decision. I may not agree with the results but I am quite glad with the method they used to get there.

I guess something to consider would be how does the change affect them, how does the change affect me, how does the change affect us, etc.

On the whole I think you get what I mean right?
no offense atheist but you guys are 2nd worse out of the whole bunch for bad reactions to people reverting.

i used to help out with new muslims a lot and the biggest problems come from atheist parents and family rather than christians.

(for those interested 1st for bad reactions are sikhs, quite ironic as they dont think it actually matters what religion you follow)

greenshirt
04-23-2009, 04:54 AM
well im a revert to islam(alhumdullillah) and i can tell you how my family/friends did/would react.

not a single friend of mine has been upset that i have reverted to islam. even my christian friends. however, most of my friends are very liberal people. thats just the kind of people i hang out with, so they generally dont care as long as im happy and at peace. :)

my family on the other hand. very religious eastern orthodox christians. very stuck in traditions. they grew up with certain practices and they expect me to follow these too. they take pride in their faith.

and to be honest, i havent told them! im afraid that they would go ballistic, maybe throw a bible at me, and have the priest called in to speak with me.

the priest would probably tell them to calm down and to just let it be, because eastern orthodox christianity is a fairly tolerant denomination/belief. but my parents probably wouldnt listen. they would just be heartbroken that i have decided not to follow the path of my family for generations. tey might disown, though i dont know if they would go that far.

so thats how some christians might be. :-(

أبو سليمان عمر
04-23-2009, 04:57 AM
^^^ Alhumdulillah great to hear :) brother may Allah increase our eman and make our hearts firm in islam Ameen :)

glo
04-23-2009, 10:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
Glo, if you had a choice over their faith and you had to pick a religion other than christianity what would you choose?

I would have thought that by Islam recognising Jesus (Isa a.h) as one of the greatest prophets the effect of the desicion may not be as significant?
That's a tricky question, aadil.

Central to the Christian faith is the belief that Jesus is God and that we are saved through him.
Therefore - according to the Christian faith - all other religions/worldviews who either not recognise Jesus as God or who actively deny him as God are untrue - no matter how noble and positive other aspects of those religions/worldviews may be ...

Of course it is heartening for Christians to know that Muslims respect Isa so highly - but then many other religions and even non-religious people respect the man Jesus and see benefits in his teachings. That's great - but still a long way away from Christianity!

I expect I would be happier for a loved one to become a monotheist than a follower of different religion or an atheist.

If I am really honest I would probably be more comfortable with my loved one to follow Judaism rather than Islam.
The reason being that it doesn't seem a big step from Judaism to Christianity - all it takes is to recognise that Jesus really was prophecied in the Old Testament and that Jesus' life and teaching builds on the OT. In fact, Jesus first followers all were Jews, and they took that step of conversion.
Islam on the other hand very actively denies Jesus divinity, which - in my mind - creates a great rift between the two faiths.

This is my honest opinion. I hope it doesn't cause offence.

Dawud_uk
04-23-2009, 11:30 AM
peace glo,

but what about someone who felt they had been saved by jesus as their personal saviour but then turned away from it later?

do you not see that as possible? i am good friends with just such a brother who helps us on the dawah stall in leicester. he was born again, but turned away from it all and embraced islam.

convert
04-23-2009, 01:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenshirt
well im a revert to islam(alhumdullillah) and i can tell you how my family/friends did/would react.

not a single friend of mine has been upset that i have reverted to islam. even my christian friends. however, most of my friends are very liberal people. thats just the kind of people i hang out with, so they generally dont care as long as im happy and at peace. :)

my family on the other hand. very religious eastern orthodox christians. very stuck in traditions. they grew up with certain practices and they expect me to follow these too. they take pride in their faith.

and to be honest, i havent told them! im afraid that they would go ballistic, maybe throw a bible at me, and have the priest called in to speak with me.

the priest would probably tell them to calm down and to just let it be, because eastern orthodox christianity is a fairly tolerant denomination/belief. but my parents probably wouldnt listen. they would just be heartbroken that i have decided not to follow the path of my family for generations. tey might disown, though i dont know if they would go that far.

so thats how some christians might be. :-(
I probably know you, I live in MD. PM me your name.

My mom took it well, she agrees with mostly everything but says she doesn't think she can change.

Lost a bunch of friends. Of the friends that were accepting, the relationship has become somewhat strained as I don't do any of my old vices and they can't quite get it I guess.

glo
04-23-2009, 02:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
peace glo,

but what about someone who felt they had been saved by jesus as their personal saviour but then turned away from it later?

do you not see that as possible? i am good friends with just such a brother who helps us on the dawah stall in leicester. he was born again, but turned away from it all and embraced islam.
My thoughts are that once you really and truly have a relationship with God through Jesus Christ you cannot turn away from him - or you would have to be utterly deceived, hurt by other Christians or simply mad to do so.

It would be best to ask your friend. Perhaps you have done so already ...
What does he tell you?

My best regards to Daffodil and the children :)
How are you all doing?

Salaam :)

Dawud_uk
04-23-2009, 03:07 PM
My thoughts are that once you really and truly have a relationship with God through Jesus Christ you cannot turn away from him - or you would have to be utterly deceived, hurt by other Christians or simply mad to do so.

It would be best to ask your friend. Perhaps you have done so already ...
What does he tell you?

My best regards to Daffodil and the children :)
How are you all doing?

mrs and the kids are good, thanks for asking. the knitted bunny you sent is now getting a 2nd chewing by my little daughter who is now about 9 months.

asking my friend, he said he was a convinced christian who felt he was a true believer, felt he had been touched by jesus and walked with jesus in his life but that when presented with the truth islam in the end made sense, it was christianity without the contradictions and flaws.

glo
04-23-2009, 08:08 PM
mrs and the kids are good, thanks for asking. the knitted bunny you sent is now getting a 2nd chewing by my little daughter who is now about 9 months.
That's what those floppy ears were made for! :)
I am glad it has lasted so well.

asking my friend, he said he was a convinced christian who felt he was a true believer, felt he had been touched by jesus and walked with jesus in his life but that when presented with the truth islam in the end made sense, it was christianity without the contradictions and flaws.
I can't say that I can relate to what your friend is saying, but not having walked in his shoes I have to accept his words as his personal testimony.

Follower
04-28-2009, 08:55 PM
glo - I don't believe that Muslims respect Jesus any more then atheists. Atheists at least recognize that He was crucified.

Dawud_uk
04-28-2009, 09:24 PM
glo - I don't believe that Muslims respect Jesus any more then atheists. Atheists at least recognize that He was crucified.
actually a lot of him question his existence full stop. i was had a bizzare conversation where an atheist claimed jesus (upon him be peace) to be a medieval invention and teasing a christian with this (got it from some trashy book), which i was able to show was a lie by just showing my Quran and showing that jesus was known and spoken of in the 7th century so could hardly be a medieval invention.

but how can the one who denies there being a creator respect a man who brings a message from that creator the same as those who also believe in him, even if they deny his divinity? (which the atheists also deny anyway) just because of one detail of his life?

the atheists deny jesus performed miracles, the muslims confirm this and the Quran mentions another miracle not mentioned in the bible, the atheists mock the concept of the virgin birth, the muslims accept this, the atheists deny practically everything about his life and you say these people are the same as those who question one accept?

can i ask you, follower of what? groucho marx?

aadil77
04-28-2009, 10:08 PM
This is my honest opinion. I hope it doesn't cause offence.

no probs atleast it was an honest reply, no one is expecting you to have a certain opinion

Grace Seeker
04-28-2009, 10:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nebula
I was just wondering how would a christian feel if one of their close friends or family members became a muslim if they were previously christians? how would you react? would you be supportive or utterly disapointed?
I would probably feel both a desire to be supportive of my friend and his/her decision, and disappointed by my understanding of what I would feel that he/she had walked away from and the loss of intimacy with God that I see being more available within Christianity than any other religion. I would also probably be sad and feel guilty that I and the rest of Christendom must have done something wrong in not properly communicating the Christian faith for a person who had experienced it to turn away from it.

Vito
04-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Either this is a desperate attempt to get attention or you are seriously misinformed. I also fail to see which post yours is in reference to?

Pygoscelis
04-29-2009, 02:32 PM
no offense atheist but you guys are 2nd worse out of the whole bunch for bad reactions to people reverting.
Not surprising, especially if the atheists happen to be anti-religious, as Islam is one of the most hardcore religions around. Only atheists can really be anti-religious, so it makes sense to me that more atheists would react negatively. I know I would feel awful if it was a close friend or family member.

جوري
04-29-2009, 02:37 PM
atheists recognize that Jesus was crucified? :haha: hilarious
I don't know of any atheists and I have known quite a few who recognize Jesus as an actual historical character..

but if they recognize him as crucified and he is your God then it would make the most sense that they'd turn to atheism, after all what is left after the death of God?

oh the sun did rise again!
The hilarity of Christians~!

Gator
04-29-2009, 06:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by -Kai-
Either this is a desperate attempt to get attention or you are seriously misinformed. I also fail to see which post yours is in reference to?
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
atheists recognize that Jesus was crucified? :haha: hilarious
I don't know of any atheists and I have known quite a few who recognize Jesus as an actual historical character..
Eh, ease up on him.

Maybe he meant that a historical jesus was a man and was crucified and died (not that he rose again)?

ragdollcat1982
05-05-2009, 04:39 AM
I would not care if a Christian family member or friend of mine decided to embrace Islam. I am discerning right now if that is what I should do myself. Regardless if I do or not I would always be supportive of anybody who embraced any of the Book Religions. I cannot say that I would be the same if they became pagan, Hindu etc as it would be turning away from God to embrace a non Book faith. One of my paternal aunts has chastised me for wearing Islamic dress saying that I was too pretty to be in all of that garb and she did not want to see me out any it anymore! Im 26 years old and she has no buinsess telling me how to dress, if I embrace Islam my family will disown me and I will be going straight to hell in their eyes. I really dont care what they think, I have to answer ultimately to God, not my family.

greenshirt
05-05-2009, 11:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by convert
I probably know you, I live in MD. PM me your name.

My mom took it well, she agrees with mostly everything but says she doesn't think she can change.

Lost a bunch of friends. Of the friends that were accepting, the relationship has become somewhat strained as I don't do any of my old vices and they can't quite get it I guess.
haha i doubt you know me because i am new to northern virginia(about a year.) prior to that, i was at virginia tech!

but, my name is malik and i am white. not too many white folk with the name of malik! :p

format_quote Originally Posted by ragdollcat1982
I would not care if a Christian family member or friend of mine decided to embrace Islam. I am discerning right now if that is what I should do myself. Regardless if I do or not I would always be supportive of anybody who embraced any of the Book Religions. I cannot say that I would be the same if they became pagan, Hindu etc as it would be turning away from God to embrace a non Book faith. One of my paternal aunts has chastised me for wearing Islamic dress saying that I was too pretty to be in all of that garb and she did not want to see me out any it anymore! Im 26 years old and she has no buinsess telling me how to dress, if I embrace Islam my family will disown me and I will be going straight to hell in their eyes. I really dont care what they think, I have to answer ultimately to God, not my family.
you have mentioned an excellent point. we dont ultimately answer to our family. we ultimately answer to ALLAH SWT! so we should please god first before our family of course. i am glad you realize and recognize this because so many people would like to embrace islam but dont want to disappoint their family. though this shows how much they care for their family, it shows that they dont fear god as much as they should!

i also see you are from virginia. :D greetings, from arlington!

Gator
05-06-2009, 03:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenshirt
we ultimately answer to ALLAH SWT! so we should please god first before our family of course. i am glad you realize and recognize this because so many people would like to embrace islam but dont want to disappoint their family.
Unless of course the christian or jewish god is the real god and then you are screwed.:D

جوري
05-06-2009, 03:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gator
Unless of course the christian or jewish god is the real god and then you are screwed.:D

Nah, the Jewish God is too exclusive and the Christian one is too ineffectual..

kwolney01
05-06-2009, 03:55 AM
I'm a convert to Islam and for the most part my family has been supportive. One of my aunties said that she was sad to see another good christian turn away..and this hurt me. But overall, my family has supported me through my conversion and are truly happy for me. I love how my grandma looks at me now and smiles when she sees me wearing the hijab...it's great!! :)

glo
05-06-2009, 06:44 AM
Unless of course God is bigger than all our human bickerings. :)

Banu_Hashim
05-06-2009, 07:36 AM
If I am really honest I would probably be more comfortable with my loved one to follow Judaism rather than Islam.
The reason being that it doesn't seem a big step from Judaism to Christianity - all it takes is to recognise that Jesus really was prophecied in the Old Testament and that Jesus' life and teaching builds on the OT. In fact, Jesus first followers all were Jews, and they took that step of conversion.
Islam on the other hand very actively denies Jesus divinity, which - in my mind - creates a great rift between the two faiths.
Oh, I was under the impression that Judaism does not recognise Jesus (peace be upon him) as a messiah, or as any prophet what so ever? And, thereby denying Jesus' status as a prophet/man of God, let alone his divinity.

Judaism's view on Jesus.

glo
05-06-2009, 07:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
Oh, I was under the impression that Judaism does not recognise Jesus (peace be upon him) as a messiah, or as any prophet what so ever? And, thereby denying Jesus' status as a prophet/man of God, let alone his divinity.
You are right, Judaism doesn't recognise Jesus as the Messiah or Son of God at all.

What I was trying to say was that for a Jew it seems a smallish step "to recognise that Jesus really was prophecied in the Old Testament and that Jesus' life and teaching builds on the OT". (After all, it just requires a reading of the Old Testament in relation to the New Testament)

Muslims, on the other hand, are actively discouraged and specifically forbidden to accept Jesus as any more than just a prophet ... therefore it seems a much more difficult transition for a Muslim to become a Christian than it would be for a Jew.

north_malaysian
05-06-2009, 08:05 AM
Hey .. we love Jesus too... I dont know if Atheists love Jesus..

Banu_Hashim
05-06-2009, 08:09 AM
You are right, Judaism doesn't recognise Jesus as the Messiah or Son of God at all.

What I was trying to say was that for a Jew it seems a smallish step "to recognise that Jesus really was prophecied in the Old Testament and that Jesus' life and teaching builds on the OT". (After all, it just requires a reading of the Old Testament in relation to the New Testament)

Muslims, on the other hand, are actively discouraged and specifically forbidden to accept Jesus as any more than just a prophet ... therefore it seems a much more difficult transition for a Muslim to become a Christian than it would be for a Jew.
I see. Yes, well I suppose you're right in that sense. The reason, we're actively discouraged to associate Jesus with God, or for that matter anything with God, is because it goes against our basic belief of tawhid (oneness of God).

I guess we would need the perspective of a Jew. My sister used to work at a radio station called Salaam Shalom. And there was a rabbi on the team. If I ever see him, I'll ask him out it (the old testament-new testament thing).

Thanks for that glo. :)

north_malaysian
05-06-2009, 08:09 AM
I think both Jews and Muslims worship the same God.. for me it's that the Jews didnt upgrade their religion into Islam...

In regards to Christianity... hmmm...:X

witness
05-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Unless of course God is bigger than all our human bickerings. :)
Such a beautiful statement...sounds even better coming from one who does not yet believe. :D

Just to point out ...as much as muslims respect the Prophet of Islam :arabic5: - It is an act of disbelief to attribute any divinity to him also...not just Jesus.

Originally Posted by Gator :
'Unless of course the christian or jewish god is the real god and then you are screwed.'

when its all said and done...who'll lose out the most if they were wrong?
Most likely...those following other than islam...
as i don't think any other ways have such a detrimental effect..
If they were right the muslims would have got away with it lightly!

GreyKode
05-06-2009, 08:59 AM
@greenshirt
Wow the name Malik is just:thumbs_up

malayloveislam
05-06-2009, 09:14 AM
We respect prophet Jesus (pbuh), prophet Moses (pbuh), prophet Abraham (pbuh) just like we respect prophet Muhammad (pbuh). It is just prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is the seal of the prophets and Allah's messengers. It means that he is the prophet of this age, the age of near dooms day. I do not know if Christians do honor father Abraham (pbuh), but in Islam we always recite prayers of blessings to both prophets, Muhammad (pbuh) and father Abraham (pbuh).

In Quran too, there are many Surah's defending mother Mary (Allah please with her) as a virgin and a pious lady, such as in Surah Maryam. She is a Jew and the only woman honored by name in the scripture. Also Surah Aali-Emran telling us about the family of Emran or Joachim (the family of mother Mary). Surah Al-Kahfi and Surah Yaa-Sin telling about early followers of prophet Jesus and the spreading of Tauhid (Monotheism) teaching.

Vito
05-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Well no matter what the case is, I guess you always end up getting screwed anyways huh :D

Uthman
05-06-2009, 01:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
I guess we would need the perspective of a Jew. My sister used to work at a radio station called Salaam Shalom. And there was a rabbi on the team. If I ever see him, I'll ask him out it (the old testament-new testament thing).
How weird. I made a thread about that! http://www.islamicboard.com/world-af...-birthday.html

muslim soul
05-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Aslam alaykum
well when i reverted back to islam , my mum wasnt suprized at all she just knew it was a matter of time , but when i started to pratice and live islam inward and outward and so put some rules down in my home it was a diffrent story she say what is ur home turning into a f.... vicarige and that went on foe while then she came round finally , my sister was diffrent she was like if you change i never speak to you again , but thats the chance i had to take and knew i would face trials and tests amoungs my family

one suprizing video i watched ones was in usa were some ones son reverted and when interviewing his mum she said she would rather have him come home and say im guy mum than i am muslim subanallah

its not easy for parents and family memebers but from experince leading by example is the best way and now subanallah they have total respect for islam and have on occation stood up for me when people lol cos i wear niqab and they get upset mashallah
Allah guide there hearts to this beautiful deen
walaykum aslam ur sister in islam

Grace Seeker
05-06-2009, 10:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslim soul
one suprizing video i watched ones was in usa were some ones son reverted and when interviewing his mum she said she would rather have him come home and say im guy mum than i am muslim subanallah
As the saying goes: It takes all kinds. Sorry to say but I suspect this is not an isolated event, at least in some communities. However, those who act this way are not representing the Christian faith when they react that way, but their own particular brand of biases.

I expect that similar things are true for folks who convert out of other religions to Christianity. Is it not the case that in some countries it is actually illegal for a Muslim to convert to Christianity? I do know of stories where converts to Christianity have had to pay for it with their life, and at the hands of their own families.

Muhammad
05-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Just a quick note before the thread gets derailed - apostasy is a separate issue and is being discussed elsewhere on the forum. Let us please avoid making it the topic here.

glo
05-07-2009, 06:25 AM
Greetings, Muhammed

But the very topic of this thread is apostasy - the departure from the Christian faith to Islam.

In order to explore and answer the OP's question how Christians would feel and react if a loved one left Christianity may it not be helpful to consider how Muslims would feel and react if a loved one left Islam for another religion, for example Christianity?

Peace

جوري
05-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Actually Br. Muhammad is right, considering the very title of the thread, and secondly, the very notion that someone truly Muslim leaving Islam for Christianity is absurd. by simplest terms and lowest common denominator. No one who has AOL version 9.1 would go back to version 5 for obvious reasons!

all the best

memories
05-09-2009, 04:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nebula
This how a christian would feel: A true Christian knows that faith in any religion is to be respected and is of the personal realm, If someone desires to become a muslim all and well!:statisfie

Grace Seeker
05-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Actually Br. Muhammad is right, considering the very title of the thread, and secondly, the very notion that someone truly Muslim leaving Islam for Christianity is absurd. by simplest terms and lowest common denominator. No one who has AOL version 9.1 would go back to version 5 for obvious reasons!

all the best
Once again, you state very well exactly how Christians might feel about someone leaving Christianity for Islam: the very notion that someone who was truly Christian would leave Christianity for Islam is absurb. It must be that they were never truly Christian or they would never have left. Indeed, this is exactly what Jesus' disciple, John, has to say about those who leave Christiantiy:
They went out from us [i.e., left the Christian faith community] but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us. (1 John 2:19-20)
No one who understands the truth of the Gospel, would ever leave it for something less than the good news it has to offer in Jesus Christ. Therefore, those who leave, must not have ever understood it, for if they truly had, they never would have left. And if they left, it is evidence that they neither understood nor accepted it in the first place, for as you imply only a fool would leave AOL 9.1 to go back to version 5; and for those who really get Christianity, we know it is so much better than 9.1 that nothing can compare with it.

Malaikah
05-10-2009, 11:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by memories
This how a christian would feel: A true Christian knows that faith in any religion is to be respected and is of the personal realm, If someone desires to become a muslim all and well!:statisfie
How can that be true? You're telling me you think it is 'all and well' that someone would choose a path that will, according to your beliefs, lead them to spending eternity in hell?

Sorry, but I'm my books that a very inconceivable...

Muezzin
05-10-2009, 04:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Not surprising, especially if the atheists happen to be anti-religious, as Islam is one of the most hardcore religions around. Only atheists can really be anti-religious, so it makes sense to me that more atheists would react negatively. I know I would feel awful if it was a close friend or family member.
You're letting the side down if you would feel that way, surely.

I thought athiests prided themselves on their liberal or libertarian nature, their logic above emotion, their tolerance of others' opinions and beliefs, even if they thought (or knew) them to be wrong.

But if you were truly to feel the way you describe, you'd be kinda... hypocritical. Emotion above logic. Feeling awful because a friend dares to disagree with you. You know?

جوري
05-10-2009, 04:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
Once again, you state very well exactly how Christians might feel about someone leaving Christianity for Islam: the very notion that someone who was truly Christian would leave Christianity for Islam is absurb. It must be that they were never truly Christian or they would never have left. Indeed, this is exactly what Jesus' disciple, John, has to say about those who leave Christiantiy:
What is 'absurb?'

No one who understands the truth of the Gospel, would ever leave it for something less than the good news it has to offer in Jesus Christ. Therefore, those who leave, must not have ever understood it, for if they truly had, they never would have left. And if they left, it is evidence that they neither understood nor accepted it in the first place, for as you imply only a fool would leave AOL 9.1 to go back to version 5; and for those who really get Christianity, we know it is so much better than 9.1 that nothing can compare with it.
You need to cut down on the logorrhea..
I believe many people don't understand the 'truths of the gospel' indeed-- the majority can't seem to get past the trinity, let alone translate it to the masses...

all the best

جوري
05-10-2009, 04:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin

I thought athiests prided themselves on their liberal or libertarian nature, their logic above emotion, their tolerance of others' opinions and beliefs, even if they thought (or knew) them to be wrong.

But if you were truly to feel the way you describe, you'd be kinda... hypocritical. Emotion above logic. Feeling awful because a friend dares to disagree with you. You know?

atheism is a belief system no different than any other belief system (save for its own downfalls of course) .. so why is it a wonder he feels as he does?

he too is subject to the human condition!

:w:

Muezzin
05-10-2009, 04:50 PM
atheism is a belief system no different than any other belief system (save for its own downfalls of course) .. so why is it a wonder he feels as he does?
Because the athiests I know in person would not feel as he says he does.

Triangulating opinions from a lot of athiest literature both offline and on also lead me to the conclusion that his feelings would be somewhat anomalous.

he too is subject to the human condition!

Indeed.

However, it seems that many athiests feel (or claim) that they are somewhat 'above' this particular part of the human condition. Disliking someone, a close friend, a group, because they believe something you do not, rather than because of their destructive actions etc. As if that sort of ill-will is reserved for religious people. At least, that's always the impression I've got.

جوري
05-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Because the athiests I know in person would not feel as he says he does.

Triangulating opinions from a lot of athiest literature both offline and on also lead me to the conclusion that his feelings would be somewhat anomalous.
I have been around long enough to know what folks hide and what they show is often at odds.. it is called reaction formation..

Indeed.

However, it seems that many athiests feel (or claim) that they are somewhat 'above' this particular part of the human condition. Disliking someone, a close friend, a group, because they believe something you do not, rather than because of their destructive actions etc. As if that sort of ill-will is reserved for religious people. At least, that's always the impression I've got.
Pshaww.. it is all humbug.. reading their literature, they are as zealous and fanatical as any fundie.. do you not remember our former resident 'Zoro' the dude who wanted to split the zero?

memories
05-10-2009, 05:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
How can that be true? You're telling me you think it is 'all and well' that someone would choose a path that will, according to your beliefs, lead them to spending eternity in hell?

Sorry, but I'm my books that a very inconceivable...
All and well mean that its a choice and that this choice should be respected regardless, and If a christian decides to abandon his/her faith theirs a probability he was never faithfull to begin with, thus: All and well! we are free to decide what to do with our own soul, many paths lead to perdition, but few are the paths that lead us to salvation!

Whatsthepoint
05-10-2009, 05:03 PM
It strikes me how christians are fine with a person willingly departing the only road to heaven yet at the same time most are preoccupied with preventing other people from leading a lifestyle different than their own.

glo
05-10-2009, 05:05 PM

I can understand that an anti-theist would feel that way.
If you believe religion to not only be pointless but also harmful, then having a loved one turn to religion would be a problem indeed ...

Not all atheists have a liberal attitude towards religion.
I believe the harder-hitting anti-theist lobby is growing and is certainly becoming more outspoken.

Muezzin
05-10-2009, 05:10 PM
I can understand that an anti-theist would feel that way.
If you believe religion to not only be pointless but also harmful, then having a loved one turn to religion would be a problem indeed ...

Not all atheists have a liberal attitude towards religion.
I believe the harder-hitting anti-theist lobby is growing and is certainly becoming more outspoken.
But, given the speaker, then all you're left with is hypocrisy. 'My belief is better than yours because I said so'.

We're all of us hypocrites.

Apart from those who've been saved via Divine Intervention from those tendencies throughout the ages.

Grace Seeker
05-11-2009, 12:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
It strikes me how christians are fine with a person willingly departing the only road to heaven yet at the same time most are preoccupied with preventing other people from leading a lifestyle different than their own.
Isn't that a part of the human condition? I don't think that is unique to Christianity in particular or even religion in general. I notice the same type of behavior in people with regard to their various political persuasions.

Follower
05-12-2009, 12:45 PM

We always have the hope that those leaving their faith will find the way back. Everyone can have doubts and everyone has the potential to find their way back.

We are told to preach to the nations about a gift so wonderful that it can change your whole outlook on life. Give you eternal peace. Why wouldn't we share it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.