/* */

PDA

View Full Version : what should be avoided in interaction?

koumen
04-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Assalamu Alaykum.
I would like to ask all of you, what should be avoided in talking to muslim or arab. I mean there are cultural differences between people of the world so somebody may find something offensive or disrespectfull even though it was not ment to be offensive. Is there something that I should avoid in talkin to muslim or arab in general?
Thank you.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crayon
04-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Wa alaikum!:)

Well, in regards to talking to muslim women, don't shake hands, and don't have any sort of physical contact at all.
Men might greet you by kissing you on the cheek, don't be freaked out, it's normal.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head now, inshaAllah I'll add more later.

idk
04-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Generally, they will make an exeption as you are a foreigner and if they dont like something you said they will say - especially if theyre egyptian lol.
Im guessing youre goin on holiday?

Men LOVE To talk about politics - just keep your views nuetral. Most arabs are very sociable and talk alot so just act yourself and they will love how ' western ' u are. Food is a good topic too. Practising muslim women wont chit chat with men, and that HAS to be respected - only ask about vital things or say a polite modest hello.

Pomak
04-26-2009, 07:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by koumen
Assalamu Alaykum.
I would like to ask all of you, what should be avoided in talking to muslim or arab. I mean there are cultural differences between people of the world so somebody may find something offensive or disrespectfull even though it was not ment to be offensive. Is there something that I should avoid in talkin to muslim or arab in general?
Thank you.
Are you asking specifically about arabs or muslims broadly? I think Bosnians might be offended by different things to Uighur or Nigerians.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
koumen
04-26-2009, 03:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by idk
Im guessing youre goin on holiday?
No, I am not goin on holiday :)

Thanks for all your posts. I ment all arabs and muslims in general.
I have noticed that its common use words "peace be upon him" and some similar phrases in talkin about Prophet Muhammad for example. Is that some rule or necesity?
What if I would know personally some muslim man and I meet him on the strret with his wife wearing niqab. Niqab seems to be some barier for me. So is it possible at least to say hallo to her? If I see her first time?

Yanal
04-26-2009, 09:59 PM
First walk up to your friend and speak casually,if the wife walks away then don't stop her,if she stays there say "Hello pleasure to meet you Mrs.------. Don't shake hands with her it is considered rude if you do that with a stranger in Islam. Saying peace be upon him when hearing the Prophets name is fardh and is followed by all muslims,ask your friend if he wants you to say that or not,really depends on your friends and your personaility if he wants you to.

To avoid the "muslim stare" (when a Muslim gets angry) don't question/ask them about changing religion,most muslims love their religion more then they love their children. Thats the main thing you must avoid if you want to be friendly with muslims.

Pomak
04-28-2009, 03:25 AM
No, I am not goin on holiday :)

Thanks for all your posts. I ment all arabs and muslims in general.
I have noticed that its common use words "peace be upon him" and some similar phrases in talkin about Prophet Muhammad for example. Is that some rule or necesity?
What if I would know personally some muslim man and I meet him on the strret with his wife wearing niqab. Niqab seems to be some barier for me. So is it possible at least to say hallo to her? If I see her first time?
Stuff like pbuh, or may god be pleased with him/her or salam alaikum are not necessary for you. most muslims won't be offended if you use it or don't.

as for the man with a sister/wife in niqab, it really depends. I know someone (muslim) who basically ignored his friend's wife and she totally lost it. but others will probly expect you not to really talk to the woman. Culture plays a large part of how people react.

koumen
04-28-2009, 07:02 AM
Thank you Yanal for your reply.

'Abd-al Latif
04-28-2009, 10:41 AM
I think what probably kouman is thinking is that most muslims are arabs, it's why you said: "what should be avoided in talking to muslim or arab."

Most muslim are not arabs, and all arabs are not muslim. Last I heard the arab population only make up around 20% of the Muslim world.

koumen
04-28-2009, 03:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
I think what probably kouman is thinking is that most muslims are arabs, it's why you said: "what should be avoided in talking to muslim or arab."

Most muslim are not arabs, and all arabs are not muslim. Last I heard the arab population only make up around 20% of the Muslim world.
Thats a good point. I did not realized that. Maybe because all those few muslims I know personaly are arabs. From Syria and Palestine.

koumen
04-28-2009, 03:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pomak
Stuff like pbuh, or may god be pleased with him/her or salam alaikum are not necessary for you. most muslims won't be offended if you use it or don't.

as for the man with a sister/wife in niqab, it really depends. I know someone (muslim) who basically ignored his friend's wife and she totally lost it. but others will probly expect you not to really talk to the woman. Culture plays a large part of how people react.
And what about arab muslims that live lets say in Slovakia ( my country ) ? In our country is common to shake hand with woman when she is introduced. Its been said here that better is to avoid any physical contact but we dont know that. What if this happen to any of you. Would you feel offended or disrespected? Or are you able to accept that as our culture and it was not ment to be rude? Especialy if dont even know what may be inapropiate. Thank you.

crayon
05-01-2009, 08:54 AM
^I'm sure most people wouldn't be offended, as you are new to their culture and country, and they'll know it wasn't in your intention to be rude. So shaking hands with a woman may be overlooked because you're not too sure how else to go about it, but if you don't shake hands you'll probably get brownie points.

Pomak
05-02-2009, 04:05 AM
And what about arab muslims that live lets say in Slovakia ( my country ) ? In our country is common to shake hand with woman when she is introduced. Its been said here that better is to avoid any physical contact but we dont know that. What if this happen to any of you. Would you feel offended or disrespected? Or are you able to accept that as our culture and it was not ment to be rude? Especialy if dont even know what may be inapropiate. Thank you.
Generally the concept of hikmah comes into it. Ideally most people would shake the first time and tell them about their views on it after. (so that they are not offended)

Alternatively some decide to sneeze when a hand is extended for shaking. (lol :P)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.