/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Problems as a Revert...losing my Islam? :(

Ali Ibn Mann
04-27-2009, 06:34 AM
Asalaamualaikum brothers and sisters.

I'm in desperate need of advice and duas. I am a recent revert to Islam (last Ramadan is when I did Shahada) and I have run into so many complications and tests.

I entered the fold of Islam from Christianity through some Shia brothers and sisters. My good friend was Shia, which is why I converted through the Shia. I later embraced Sunni Islam a few months later after learning some more things about Shiism that I was not in agreement with and I had to redo my Shahada (already off to a bad start imsad).

My parents have been really opposed to my decision since I reverted. Other Muslims have spread rumors about why I converted (they say I converted for a girl, which is not true because I used to like this one Muslim girl when I was Christian).

Then, I met a sister at a school and I tried to go about it the Islamic way by going to her parents, but I was rejected for cultural reasons (I'm not Indian, I'm not Syyed, I don't look good enough etc.). She still wanted to marry me so we have continued to try and convince them to this day.

I have a strong passion to be a good Muslim, but then I committed one of the worse sins. I feel like my conversion was meaningless now. I can't seem to defeat this sin either, and everytime I repent and feel I am sincere, I forget and I go back to that sin. I cannot defeat it.

I feel like my conversion has been meaningless...I should know better as a revert. I shouldn't do these things. Everything feels messed up. All those stories I hear about reverts converting and changing every aspect of their lives afterwards flawlessly...that's not me. I entered this religion through the wrong path first and then embraced Sunnism, and I've already committed one of the major sins less than a year into this.

I feel so worthless imsad

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Dawud_uk
04-27-2009, 06:40 AM
:sl:

everyone and i mean EVERYONE will have their faith tested, your imaan will go down as well as up and needs to be worked upon to get it back up again.

reverts also come into islam on a big high and if they are not careful can have problems later as that imaan will decrease unless they keep working on it.

regarding your marriage problems, approach a good imam or local elder who can interceed on your behalf, explain the situation and try to get him to talk to her family.

now everyone will do some sins, we are human and Allah swt made us this way, but the important thing is not to allow shaitan to trick you into not repenting by playing on your emotions and making you feel crap, so fight him, do good deeds, keep your salaat constant, keep making du'a and begging for forgiveness and then your imaan will start to increase.

coddles76
04-27-2009, 06:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali Ibn Mann
Asalaamualaikum brothers and sisters.

I'm in desperate need of advice and duas. I am a recent revert to Islam (last Ramadan is when I did Shahada) and I have run into so many complications and tests.

I entered the fold of Islam from Christianity through some Shia brothers and sisters. My good friend was Shia, which is why I converted through the Shia. I later embraced Sunni Islam a few months later after learning some more things about Shiism that I was not in agreement with and I had to redo my Shahada (already off to a bad start imsad).

My parents have been really opposed to my decision since I reverted. Other Muslims have spread rumors about why I converted (they say I converted for a girl, which is not true because I used to like this one Muslim girl when I was Christian).

Then, I met a sister at a school and I tried to go about it the Islamic way by going to her parents, but I was rejected for cultural reasons (I'm not Indian, I'm not Syyed, I don't look good enough etc.). She still wanted to marry me so we have continued to try and convince them to this day.

I have a strong passion to be a good Muslim, but then I committed one of the worse sins. I feel like my conversion was meaningless now. I can't seem to defeat this sin either, and everytime I repent and feel I am sincere, I forget and I go back to that sin. I cannot defeat it.

I feel like my conversion has been meaningless...I should know better as a revert. I shouldn't do these things. Everything feels messed up. All those stories I hear about reverts converting and changing every aspect of their lives afterwards flawlessly...that's not me. I entered this religion through the wrong path first and then embraced Sunnism, and I've already committed one of the major sins less than a year into this.

I feel so worthless imsad
Peace be upon you Brother,

Don't feel worthless, You have already started on the right foot by regretting your sin and InshAllah I pray that Allah SWT will make you stronger. You need to stay firm against your desires, turn to Allah SWT in your DUA and Prayers. This life is full of trials and tribulations, this might be just another one of those tests which you will only pass with patience and sincerity. Be sincere, be patient and remember that Allah SWT will always be there for you as long as you turn back to him.

Allah SWT says that, 'Do you think he will leave you to merely say you are muslim without being tested'. Allah SWT will test you, so try your utmost best to pass every test that comes your way.

I pray that you stay patient and sincere and may Allah SWT bless all the patient ones.

جوري
04-27-2009, 06:45 AM
You are not worthless, Allah swt gave you dignity and it is there no matter what you do, since he bestowed the state of humanity on you.

We all go through a difficult time, whether Muslims or not..Are you in high school? When I was in high school I wasn't even a practicing Muslim or considered myself one, and here you are Masha'Allah, not only making up your mind about what is right or wrong in Islam but also feeling the twinge of consciousness over a sin you have committed (which by the way you should keep to yourself) while offering some sincere repent to Allah swt..

Listen only Allah swt knows what is in your heart, it doesn't matter who says what about you.. you can't please everyone, your aim shouldn't be to please everyone...
When you like/love/or are infatuated with someone (at your age) and I assume you very young, you think it is the end of the world if life doesn't grant you exactly what you want.. but you know, honestly it will come to pass.. and either you'll have gained the love of your life if Allah swt so wills, or you'll have learned a great deal, especially about a noble emotion and the most altruistic aspect of it and move on with your life with an open heart..

It is really late where I am now, and I need to sleep, but hope insha'Allah that other brothers and sisters wiser than I, come and keep you company..

You have lots of brothers and sisters in this umma, if you ran through a handful of bad ones then don't let that be your only mirror to other Muslims...

and Allah swt knows best

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Uthman
04-27-2009, 06:47 AM

Dear brother in Islam, do not feel worthless. No reversion to Islam is meaningless. Rather, Allah loves you and it is because of his love for you that he guided you to Islam. Do not feel worthless because every son of Adam is a sinner, and the best of sinners are those who repent. If you have committed a sin, then make sincere repentance to Allah because Allah loves to forgive. Allah also tells us in the Holy Qur'an:
Do men think that they will be left alone on saying, "We believe", and that they will not be tested? We did test those before them, and Allah will certainly know those who are true from those who are false.
My advice to you, dear brother, is to surround yourself with Islam. Keep yourself in the company of pious, Muslim friends. Watch Islamic TV channels. Participate on Islamic online forums such as this one and avoid all contact with that which is haraam. This will help you to strengthen your Imaan. :)

:w:

burdenofbeing
04-27-2009, 10:41 AM
These kind of situations always remind me of a story about a sheik. It goes like this:

There is this very well known sheik with lots of students.
One day, one of his students sees in his dream that, the sheik's name is on the list of people that deserve hell.
He eventually tells this to his sheik, and the sheik tells him:
- I've been seeing that list for the past 40 years, but I have noone else to go than god, so I still knock on his door and beg for forgiveness.

Thinker
04-27-2009, 11:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali Ibn Mann
Did you know the differences between Shia and Sunni before you made your decision?

UmmSqueakster
04-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Assalamu Alaikum,

Allah (swt) in His infinate wisdom revealed the Qur'an to the Prophet (saws) over a 23 year period. This means the best of creation (the Prophet) and the best muslims of all time (his companions) had 23 years to learn and perfect the deen. Do you really think you can get it down in a few months?

Don't be so hard on yourself. And, don't seek to get married so early. Convert brothers often have a harder time getting married than convert sisters. The husband is the head of the household, islamically, so it takes a lot of knowledge and strength to be the husband. Focus first on your deen, strengthening it, and then seek marriage. inshaAllah you'll find the sister who is meant for you.

Yanal
04-27-2009, 02:19 PM
You are very brave. MashAllah. Those muslims are not doing any good for you or themselves. Just ignore rumours like I do,don't deny ,don't accept just walk away if situations like these are starting to riseup walk away,and pray to Allah for your guidance,read the Quran,go to the masjid,and keep a beard if you want to show everyone you are a muslim.

Ali Ibn Mann
05-02-2009, 03:25 AM
Thank you brothers and sisters for the strong advice and encouragement. It has certainly lifted my spirits :)

ummsara1108
05-02-2009, 03:52 AM
I always thought when you revert to Islam, every new commer recites the same shahada? I didn't know you had to right then and there pick a certain sect to belong to. After all "A Muslim is a Muslim" right?

hopeful19
05-10-2009, 03:58 PM
keep the faith

seeker-of-light
05-16-2009, 04:47 PM
it will be ok brother. i faced a similiar experience after i first converted to islam, but with the support of all the wonderful people here my iman became stronger^_^ yours will too, just ask Allah for his guidance^^

zaheeriqbal_81
05-18-2009, 06:40 AM
I am sure this will help u::

www.homequran.com

www.kidsquran.com

this site has vast amount of quran, dua's and hadith's for you. They teach online from home and have very good teachers both males and females. I have visited it and found it very intresting. I think u should also try it

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.