/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Questions on arabic poetry

Ummu Sufyaan
04-27-2009, 10:10 AM
:sl:
I am really want to delve myself into arabic (islamic) poety and was wondering whether or not there is some kind of curriculm/program that is taken for arabic poetry. For those who have learnt arabic growing up in the mid-east (or any where else where arabic is taught), did they teach it in as a module when they taught Arabic in school.
are there any books/audio etc where one can study Arabic Islamic poetry. i mean you have programs for tajweed/quran, etc but are there any for arabic poetry....i know its sounds dramatic, but its simply awesome and i want to know more!!! where do i start from...im after poetry which mainly focuses on the aakhirah, purifcation of the soul and that kind of stuff.

and also what are the Arabic words for Poetry: I know sh3ir which just means poetry, but what about qaseedah and nadhm...what is the difference? im thinking the different words have somehting to do with the length/type of poem, am i right? and also are there any other words to that i should know about.

and also can you list the names of famous Arabic (Muslim) poets (if that isn't a huge ask :hiding:) and if possible maybe an example of their work.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MinAhlilHadeeth
04-27-2009, 12:51 PM
:salamext:

I think books on balaaghah may cover poetry. I remember my teacher got this book from egypt on balaaghah, and it covered a bit on poetry. I remember it had something to do with scales, not simply rhyme schemes.

Silver Pearl
04-27-2009, 01:24 PM
:wasalamex

Balagha doesn't really teach you about shi'ir, it may use it as an example to convey how balagha can be used or vaguely mention something about the rhyming but the science of shi'ir is different. You always do balagha first, I've never come across anyone who did it the other way round. Because you need balagha first.

Nadhm conveys other meanings aside from poetry but Shi'ir is used for 'poetry' if that makes sense. If you want to study Shi'ir then you need to do 'Arood and Qawaafi.

There are loads of poetry but usually people start off with simple things like Bilaadi, then some short poems by Qays and you build your way up. You also learn the 10 famous poems during the time of jahiliyyah.

Ummu Sufyaan
04-27-2009, 01:32 PM
okay...jazakumullahu khair :)
format_quote Originally Posted by Silver Pearl
If you want to study Shi'ir then you need to do 'Arood and Qawaafi.
and that would be:? :p

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Silver Pearl
04-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Wa iyyaki

Basically Shi'ir divides into 2 parts, the way Balagha divides into 3 parts.

'Arood-Looks at the rules of the 16 scales of poetry

Qawaafi-Looks at the art of rhyming

Ummu Sufyaan
04-27-2009, 01:49 PM
lol i didnt really expect it to be so...i dno complicated lol :p
sounds quite intriguing tho :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.