/* */

PDA

View Full Version : combining prayers

innocent
04-27-2009, 02:55 PM
Assalamalaiykum.
I have a few questions about combining prayers which I hope brothers and sisters might be able to answer for me.

1. If combining Zuhr and Asr when does one pray - At the time of Zuhr or Asr?
Also if combining Maghrib and Isha at which time should it be?

2. Is it permissible to combine prayers when one is ill and how ill do they have to be? If it is a cold and fever is it permissible?

3. What is the procedure and niyah of combining prayer. Do you just pray as you would normally just one after the other or is there a specific way?

4. I may be having general anaesthetic and the effects of that last a few days. Is it permissible to combine prayers in these circumstances?

Jazakallah khair.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
innocent
05-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Is theere nobody that can answer this question?

Najm
05-04-2009, 10:53 PM
AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

InshaAllah this maybe be some use to you....

The difference between joining and shortening prayers
What is the difference between joining and shortening prayers?.

Praise be to Allaah. There are many differences between joining and shortening prayers, including the following:

1. Definition
The meaning of shortening prayers is that the four-rak’ah prayers become two rak’ahs when travelling.
As for joining prayers, it means that the worshipper joins two prayers, Zuhr and ‘Asr, or Maghrib and ‘Isha’, at the time of the earlier or later of the two prayers.

2. Shar’i ruling
The scholars are unanimously agreed that shortening the prayers is better for the traveller than offering them in full, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) shortened prayers during all his journeys, and there is no saheeh report that he offered the prayers in full whilst travelling.

Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I accompanied the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and he did not do more than two rak’ahs whilst travelling, and the same applies to Abu Bakr, ‘Umar and ‘Uthmaan (may Allaah be pleased with them). Narrated by al-Bukhaari (1102).

The Hanafis are of the view that it is obligatory for the traveller to shorten his prayers, but the correct view is that of the majority, that shortening the prayers is sunnah mu’akkadah (a confirmed Sunnah), and that it is better than offering the prayers in full.
See: al-Ijmaa’ by Ibn al-Mundhir (27); al-Mughni (1/382); al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah (27/274).

As for joining prayers, the scholars are not agreed on its permissibility except in the case of the pilgrim in ‘Arafah and Muzdalifah. Some scholars said that it is not permissible to join prayers anywhere except in these two places.

The correct view is that of the majority of scholars, which is that it is permissible to join prayers if there is an excuse for doing so, because it is proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did that in places other than ‘Arafah and Muzdalifah.
3. Reasons which make it permissible to join or shorten prayers

The reasons which make it permissible to join prayers are broader than those which make it permissible to shorten them. Joining prayers is permissible for every traveller, and for the non-traveller if it is too difficult for him to offer every prayer on time, such as one who is sick, or if there is rain, or he is busy with some work that he cannot delay in order to pray, such as a student taking an exam or a doctor who is doing surgery and so on.

With regard to shortening prayers, that is only permissible when travelling.
Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa (22/293):

The reason for shortening prayers is travelling only, and it is not permissible in situations other than travelling. As for joining prayers, the reason for it is need and excuses, so if a person needs to he may join both shortened and full-length prayers whilst travelling, and he may join prayers when it is raining and so on, or because of sickness and the like, and for other reasons, because the purpose behind it is to spare the ummah hardship. End quote.
Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said in al-Liqa’ al-Shahri (60/11):

Joining prayers is broader in scope than shortening them, i.e., the reasons for doing so are more numerous.
And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/10510...ning%20prayers

FiAmaaniAllah

Muhammad
05-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Wa Alaykum Assalaam,

format_quote Originally Posted by innocent
1. If combining Zuhr and Asr when does one pray - At the time of Zuhr or Asr?
Also if combining Maghrib and Isha at which time should it be?
It is permissible for a traveller to combine the Dhuhr and Asr prayers at the due time of either of them and likewise to combine Maghrib and Isha prayers at the due time of either of them. It is better for the one permitted to combine prayers to combine them according to what suits his/her situation most. (Refer to Shaykh Saalih Al Fawzaan's book: 'A Summary of Islamic Jurisprudence').

2. Is it permissible to combine prayers when one is ill and how ill do they have to be? If it is a cold and fever is it permissible?
In general, a Muslim is permitted to combine prayers when necessary (and when there is no necessity, it is better to perform each prayer at its due time). Hence a Muslim patient can combine prayers if it is difficult for him/her to perform each prayer at its due time. Specific illnesses I have read about are regarding those who cannot purify themselves for every prayer (such as those with enuresis, continuously bleeding wound, a permanent nosebleed etc.). As for other illnesses and clarifying how ill one has to be - you will need to ask someone more knowledgeable Insha'Allaah.

3. What is the procedure and niyah of combining prayer. Do you just pray as you would normally just one after the other or is there a specific way?
Insha'Allaah the following links will shed some light on this:
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/22102/
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/22308/

4. I may be having general anaesthetic and the effects of that last a few days. Is it permissible to combine prayers in these circumstances?
You may have to ask someone more knowledgeable. But what kind of effects are you referring to?

Allaah (swt) knows best.

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
innocent
05-07-2009, 03:51 PM
But what kind of effects are you referring to?

:w:[/QUOTE]

Drowsiness and tiredness

Sampharo
05-27-2009, 07:17 PM
If the drowsiness and tiredness causes you to fall asleep during the day and may therefore miss times of the prayer, or if the episodes come and go and therefore you could be so tired or drowsy at times that you are unable to pray, then it is permissible because it is a necessity.

And God always knows best.

SistaSista
05-27-2009, 11:28 PM
Salam

Hhhmmm, I did wonder about this myself about missing prayers when you are very ill and combining them for travel. I have read it is only allowed to miss prayer time slot with legal excuse, then this must be made up and I have done this myself, I would say all the units I have missed then close the prayer. When sick I think it is very important to remember and make effort to say prayer as this will help get better and get stronger, even if you are lying in bed and drowsy. I also knew friend who went on 14 hour flight and they made arrangements to say prayer with the airline. I had general anaesthetic came home and said my prayers the same day, I think this was a legal excuse to delay prayers, its not good idea to look for excuses to put off prayers and we should say them within time frame on the sameday incase we die, unless we are really really sick like in a coma or knocked out as some people spend months and years drowsy from medication and they have to pray. I know other people who have said there prayers in hospital bed and they must be sick to be in hospital. Wudu makes us clean and wakes us up and there are steps that can be taken for people bleeding from wounds. I no longer think it is permissible to miss prayers due to sickness or travel. I read 'say your prayers before they are said for you'. I also read one time a companion of the prophet was stabbed and it was prayer time and he went to pray. ""Abu Hurayra reported that the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) said, “And if they only knew what was in the prayers of ‘Isha’ and Subh [fajr], they would come to them even if they had to crawl.”.... "A companion of Prophet (pbuh) came to him one day and asked him “What is the thing that Allah loves most?” Muhammad (pbuh) replied “The thing that Allah loves most is when his people pray salah on time.” "May Allah strenghten our determination and steadfastness in prayer...."

Allah knows best, then the Sunnah, I think the correct answers will be there.

Salam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.