/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Mary and (no) Joseph?

glo
04-27-2009, 07:30 PM
I came across this statement in another thread:

Mary the mother of Jesus (peace be upon them) also had a child, without any father there to support her.
According to the Bible Mary was engaged to Joseph who - despite her pregnancy - married her, supported her and was the father figure to the child Jesus.
Does Joseph not appear in Islamic teaching??

Peace

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
chacha_jalebi
04-27-2009, 09:06 PM
im not wholly sure if there was a certain male who Maryam (may Allahs peace be upon her) was engaged to, because in islam if you were to say Joseph, it would be understood as Yusuf (As) the son of Yaqoob (as) (jacob)

in islam the bibical Joseph, isnt mentioned in surah maryam or the other surahs talking about Hadhrat Maryam. and Allah (swt) knows best, but if a man was mentioned as being engaged to Hadhrat Maryam, maybe that could have questioned the whole virgin birth thing innit, so to make it like undoubtably a virgin birth, in the Quraan, no man or anythin is attached with Hadhrat Maryam.

in the bible it says that Maryam was married before the virgin birth init sis glo?

Imam
04-27-2009, 09:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I came across this statement in another thread:

Peace
Greetings

No, he doesn't appear at all

and I have lots of reasons to believe that his character is a manufactured one (for a purpose)... but I think the proper section(comparative religions) if you wish to discuss it there....

peace

- Qatada -
04-27-2009, 10:09 PM

Nope.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
04-28-2009, 06:08 AM
Interesting. I didn't know that.

Thank you for your replies. :)

Whatsthepoint
04-28-2009, 01:39 PM
So Mary was a single mother?

glo
05-01-2009, 07:01 AM
It is interesting that in both the Islamic and Christian view Mary had to bear the burden of the social stigma of an unmarried pregnant woman. In the eyes of society she had committed a terrible sin - and yet she hadn't really!

What does Islam say about this? Does it have any significance?

'Abd-al Latif
05-01-2009, 09:40 PM
It is interesting that in both the Islamic and Christian view Mary had to bear the burden of the social stigma of an unmarried pregnant woman. In the eyes of society she had committed a terrible sin - and yet she hadn't really!

What does Islam say about this? Does it have any significance?
Allah says in Surah Maryum (Mary):

She (mary) said: When shall I have a boy and no mortal has yet touched me, nor have I been unchaste?

He said: "So (it will be): Thy Lord said , 'that is easy for Me: and (We wish) to appoint him as a Sign unto men and a Mercy from Us':It is a matter (so) decreed."

And she conceived him, and she withdrew with him to a far place.

And the pains of childbirth drove her to the trunk of a palm-tree: She cried (in her anguish): "Ah! would that I had died before this! would that I had been a thing forgotten and out of sight!"

But (a voice) cried to her from beneath the (palm-tree): "Grieve not! surely your Lord has made a stream to flow beneath you;

And shake the trunk of the palm-tree toward thee, thou wilt cause ripe dates to fall upon thee.

So eat and drink and refresh the eye. Then if you see any mortal, say: Surely I have vowed a fast to the Beneficent Allah, so I shall not speak to any man today.

At length she brought the (babe) to her people, carrying him (in her arms). They said: "O Mary! truly an amazing thing hast thou brought!

"O sister of Aaron! Thy father was not a man of evil, nor thy mother a woman unchaste!"

But she pointed to the babe. They said: "How can we talk to one who is a child in the cradle?"

He said: "I am indeed a servant of Allah: He hath given me revelation and made me a prophet;

"And He hath made me blessed wheresoever I be, and hath enjoined on me Prayer and Charity as long as I live;

And (hath made me) dutiful toward her who bore me, and hath not made me arrogant, unblest.

"So peace is on me the day I was born, the day that I die, and the day that I shall be raised up to life (again)"!

Such (was) Jesus the son of Mary: (it is) a statement of truth, about which they (vainly) dispute.

[Surah Maryum 19:20-34]

Muslim Woman
05-02-2009, 05:36 PM

In the name of Allah , Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Salaam/peace

glo : Does Joseph not appear in Islamic teaching??

In holy Quran , No . To my knowledge , no mention of Joseph in Hadith either.

It was a miracle birth . If she was a married person , it was not a miracle to have a baby for her.

People wanted to condemn her but after hearing the statement from the newborn baby : I am a slave of God Almighty , they did not harm her & the baby . Praise be to God only.

S_87
05-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Peace

im sure he is mentioned, i remember reading about him in tafsir ibn kathir and stories of the Prophets by ibn kahthir that Yusuf was the name of the man that the people of Banu israeel accused her of zina with and he was a relative of hers. If someone could check that if they have the book? i dont have it atm.

Zafran
05-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Salaam

There is no Joseph is Islamic tradition - God takes care of Mary - even when she is Young God provides for her. Has anybody seen the persian movie about Mary based on the Quran - it was youtube but they took it off.

Even when she goes to her community she goes alone and then Jesus pbuh the messiah speaks

peace

'Abd-al Latif
05-02-2009, 10:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Peace

Salaam/peace

glo : Does Joseph not appear in Islamic teaching??

In holy Quran , No . To my knowledge , no mention of Joseph in Hadith either.

It was a miracle birth . If she was a married person , it was not a miracle to have a baby for her.

People wanted to condemn her but after hearing the statement from the newborn baby : I am a slave of God Almighty , they did not harm her & the baby . Praise be to God only.
format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
Salaam

There is no Joseph is Islamic tradition - God takes care of Mary - even when she is Young God provides for her. Has anybody seen the persian movie about Mary based on the Quran - it was youtube but they took it off.

Even when she goes to her community she goes alone and then Jesus pbuh the messiah speaks

peace

Yes there is.

Joseph is the name in english, in the arabic language we know him as Prophet Yusuf.

Zafran
05-02-2009, 10:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
Yes there is.

Joseph is the name in english, in the arabic language we know him as Prophet Yusuf.
salaam

I'm not talking about that Joseph -Yusuf(as)

i'm talking about the one with Mary in christainty - there isnt one in the Islamic tradition.

Muslim Woman
05-03-2009, 01:32 AM

Salaam/peace

Yes there is.

Prophet Zakaria (pbuh) was uncle & his son ...umm most probably Prophet Yahya (pbuh) was her cousin . None of them were married to her. Prophet Yusuf (pbuh) was another one who was sold by his step brothers.

I read that Jews killed Prophet Zakaria (pbuh) when they heard she is pregnant.

glo
05-03-2009, 01:43 AM
Yes there is.

Greetings, Abd-al Latif

The prophet Joseph (Yusuf) in the Old Testament, who was sold into service to Pharao by his brothers and who was able to interpret Pharao's dreams, is not the same person as the Joseph this thread refers to, who - according to the New Testament - was engaged to Mary when the angel Gabriel announced that she would bear a special child.

Same name, different person. :)

Peace

Malaikah
05-03-2009, 02:47 AM
^Prophet Yusuf (Joseph) is a different person to the Joseph who Christians claim married Mary.

mkusak
02-21-2017, 06:46 AM
Dear Glo,

No Islam does not confirm this Joseph at all. Do read this:

http://seekershub.org/ans-blog/2011/...being-married/

mkusak
02-21-2017, 06:46 AM
Please ask if u have any questions..;)

greenhill
02-21-2017, 11:45 AM
You've dug this from the deep... :p

Glo has not been active for a while now. From around the time when we were migrating or upgrading or something.. over a year ago. She has been one of the members I have missed.

:peace:

noraina
02-21-2017, 03:10 PM
An ancient thread definitely - altho I admit I have gone way back on this forum and read through the oldest posts. It would have been nice to have 'personally' known some of the members whose posts I've gained a lot of knowledge from.

btw, this is an interesting discussion I recently had with someone. Within the Islamic tradition, Maryam didn't really have a man taking care of her and providing for her throughout her pregnancy, someone correct me if I'm wrong but even when she left for a distant place to give birth she was on her own. She was provided for and protected solely by Allah swt. Now that is a pretty deep and thought-provoking testimony to her strength as a woman (to rely solely upon Allah swt and trust in Him) when one looks further into it.

Supernova
02-21-2017, 04:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noraina
An ancient thread definitely - altho I admit I have gone way back on this forum and read through the oldest posts. It would have been nice to have 'personally' known some of the members whose posts I've gained a lot of knowledge from.

btw, this is an interesting discussion I recently had with someone. Within the Islamic tradition, Maryam didn't really have a man taking care of her and providing for her throughout her pregnancy, someone correct me if I'm wrong but even when she left for a distant place to give birth she was on her own. She was provided for and protected solely by Allah swt. Now that is a pretty deep and thought-provoking testimony to her strength as a woman (to rely solely upon Allah swt and trust in Him) when one looks further into it.
Asalaamualaykum

On the statement that she left to distant land and gave birth is refuted within muslim scholars themselves.
Certain scholars say that Hz Maryam, being given glad tidings that she is to have a son, then walked from her door to a tree which was very close by and gave gave birth immediately. What this really means is that the entire 9 months of chronological birth growth was accelerated within minutes and she gave birth. This is supported by the word in Quran "Kun" meaning that "something that happens very fast"
Other scholars dispute this on the report that once when Hz Maryam was still pregnant with Hz Eesa, she was in the company of her sister - who at that time was pregnant with Hz YaYah. The report of this story goes as the following - at that time when both mothers were talking, The mother of Hz YaYah exclaimed and said the felt that her baby (Hz YaYah) made sujood whislt in her tummy towards Hz Eesa. The scholars explain that at time the sujood was not the sujood that we know of today but rather one of respect, not one of worship.

So basically there is ightilaaf on exactly where and when Hz Maryam gave birth.

All this information i have provided is in Ibn Khatir book "Stories of the prophets". [English]

I would highly recommend the unabridged version although it has become increasingly rare in the UK.

Most of his versions now in the UK are shortened only giving one opinion based on the bias of the translator.
Waslaam.

talibilm
02-23-2017, 11:31 AM
:sl:

The name of joseph, the Carpenter in the NT is an insertion , adulteration of the NT imho

It was Only Prophet Zakaria :AS: who took care of Mariam AS ( who was a niece i think) and was her guardian and Maternal or paternal Uncle which is seen from the verse where Zakaria :AS: asks Mariam AS when he sees fruits in the prayer chamber , and asks her where did she got those fruits (out of Season) from ??

She says Allah gave it and then Zakaria AS ( probably Zakaria thought when Allah could give a fruit out of season why not myself ? a white haired with an infertile old wife and ask dua for a son and the dua seen in sura Maryam) prays for a miraculous Child

http://legacy.quran.com/3/37-39
http://legacy.quran.com/19

This could be right since its was seen in our books that Zakaria AS was a carpenter ( which the NT claims too, a carpenter and also claims he was 93 and Mary was 12 ,) while Zakaria AS was well over 90 from our books too. but Naudhubillah he was just an uncle and guardian and nothing more than that . The Child who was miraculously born to Zakaria AS was John the baptist ( Yahya AS)

talibilm
02-23-2017, 12:08 PM
The verse and its tafsir

http://www.altafsir.com/Tafasir.asp?...0&LanguageId=2

(And her Lord accepted her with full acceptance) He was good to her and accepted her instead of accepting a boy (and vouchsafed to her a goodly growth) He nurtured her well in worship throughout the years, months, days and hours; (and made Zachariah her guardian) he joined her to him for training. (Whenever Zachariah went into the sanctuary where she was) the room where she worshipped, (he found that she had food) the fruit of winter in the summer, such as culms of corn, and the fruits of summer in the winter such as grapes. (He said: O Mary! Whence cometh unto thee this (food)?) how did you get this food out of its season? (She answered: It is from Allah) Gabriel brought it to me. (Allah giveth without stint) without pause or measure (to whom He will) in its season or out of it.

http://www.altafsir.com/Tafasir.asp?tMadhNo=2&tTafsirNo=73&tSoraNo=3&tAyah No=44&tDisplay=yes&UserProfile=0&LanguageId=2

(This) which I mentioned of the story of Mary and Zachariah (is of the tidings of things hidden) of the things that were unknown to you, O Muhammad. (We reveal it unto thee (Muhammad)) He says: We send Gabriel with it to you. (Thou wast not present with them) with the Rabbis (when they threw their pens) in the flow of water ((to know) which of them should be the guardian of Mary) to train her, (nor wast thou present with them when they quarrelled (thereupon)) each giving argument for his better claim to be Mary's guardian.

talibilm
03-02-2017, 05:27 AM
bump

:sl:

main verses to know

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.